Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
The only other really different word for a day I know is "After-meta" for Dienstag, which some old people around here use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Sereri posted:

:nyd:

Excuse me, your opinion that Samstag was douchy because the origin of sams has been crippled beyond recognition is of course the definition that should be taught in schools.
One is the continuition of the germanic zoning of the day times in which used the previous evening was part of the day. The other is basically the day of saturn / star of sabbat , the same as in Spanish, French, Italian and English.

But one of those was used by communists so you are wrong.
I gave a semblance of an explanation. Granted, it wasn't highly scientific, but it showed some level of reasoning. A plain "you are wrong" doesn't add anything. Anyway, now you've given an explanation and it's all good.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

bronin posted:

The only other really different word for a day I know is "After-meta" for Dienstag, which some old people around here use.
Huh? What's the German word for that, and what location is that? Sounds pretty meta to me.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Southern Ostallgäu. And that's the word for Dienstag. The week goes like this:

Meta(g) - Aftermeta(g) - Mickde - Donnschda - Freita(g) - Samsta(g) - Sonnta(g)

I'm not too sure about the g's at the end though.

bronin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 26, 2011

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I love it when a plan comes together. :clint:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

bronin posted:

The "After-" part is a little suspicious, because that means "anus" in German. In German, it would be "Nach-". What's also suspicious is that the only Google results I could find about Aftermeta meaning Dienstag link to one of your posts in the German language thread on SA. Last but not least, you also posted there that your grandma called your father "boy", so unless I'll see more substance, I'd say your grandma like English and somehow made that up.
I think it's cool if people make up words by the way, so I'm not thinking badly of her for it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah it sounds like your grandmother is full of poo poo, sorry bro

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dienstag :colbert:

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
No, he is right about that. It's just that the word after in this specific meaning is incredibly outdated in German. IIRC after is a latin word that means about the same as the English after. The Anus is called After because, well, it's the behind.

Here's some more information for people who dare to read Fraktur.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

You probably wrote that wikipedia entry yourself and... (okay I concede). Just goes to show that anything goes in language.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

flavor posted:

You probably wrote that wikipedia entry yourself and... (okay I concede). Just goes to show that anything goes in language.

Haha. The "boy" thing my grandma did is strange though. Wonder where she got that from...

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Pff, real day names go like this:

Mejda - Möreda - Mikda - Pfinzta - Frejda - Samsda - Sunnda :colbert:

A couple of kilometers south of my birthplace, "Aftermejda" is used as well, though. The story goes that the bishop of Augsburg didn't want to use the Germanic "Möreda" (or "Irda" in some regions) because it originally comes from some pagan God (Wikipedia says it was Mars) and so introduced the astonishingly creative "After-Monday", because "After" is, as Default Settings said, an old word for "Nach". In (very, very strong) dialect there exists also the adjective "aftern", meaning both "nachfolgend" (=following) and "minderwertig" (=worthless), with beautiful constructions like "a afterns Manndl" (ein schwachbrüstiges Mannlein, a weak man - pretty pejorative) :v:

Concernig wheelbarrows: Personally I don't have any cool words besides the boring "Schubkarre", but in Austria they use the wonderful "Scheibtruach" (=Schieb-Truhe) :)

bignose
Mar 21, 2006
fucked up

bronin posted:

Südbaden, Grenzregion zur Schweiz:

Mäntig, Zi(e)schdig. Migdig, Dunschtig, Frytig, Samschtig, Suntig

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

I have my hotel set for opening day of Oktoberfest in Munich for 4 days. My business partner however only wants to catch the opening day and maybe the next in Munich and then head to Stuttgart for their fest. I know they have an Oktoberfest (as well as every other city in Germany) - but has anyone been? I know it isn't as big as Munich's but I assume it is less "international"?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Square Pair posted:

I know they have an Oktoberfest (as well as every other city in Germany)

Excuse me!? I will have you know that this particular custom is exclusively of southern German origin.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Square Pair posted:

I have my hotel set for opening day of Oktoberfest in Munich for 4 days. My business partner however only wants to catch the opening day and maybe the next in Munich and then head to Stuttgart for their fest. I know they have an Oktoberfest (as well as every other city in Germany) - but has anyone been? I know it isn't as big as Munich's but I assume it is less "international"?

Why would you go to Stuttgart for Oktoberfest?! :shepface:

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I also live 7~ minutes walking distance von der Wies'n :smugdog:

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

Excuse me!? I will have you know that this particular custom is exclusively of southern German origin.

A Bavarian? Well surely you realize that every German city TRIES to have their own version - just none can imitate a true Bavarian party. The next thing you'll say is that Lederhosen and the Dirndl is only worn in Bavaria and not the rest of Germany :airquote:

Why Stuttgart? I asked the same thing but we have a meeting the week of the 19th there. My preference will be to stay as long as possible in Munich and catch the train really early in the morning the day of our meeting...

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Broken Dictionary posted:

I also live 7~ minutes walking distance von der Wies'n :smugdog:
So, do natives go to the Oktoberfest at all? I figure there would be enough, more affordable and less touristy alternatives around that time of the year.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Default Settings posted:

So, do natives go to the Oktoberfest at all?

Yes and no. Many people hate the Oktoberfest and many people love it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm personally not a fan of it.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Roxette
May 30, 2011

Stuhlmajor posted:

I've come to the point where, when people ask me whether Oktoberfest is like its depiction in "Beerfest", I just say: "Yes, that is actually what it is. Oktoberfest is for tourists (Tossers and Sheepshaggers), if you're looking for an authentic, enjoyable "fest"-experience, go elsewhere."

Head to the Cannstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart, less tourist, less security, more relaxed atmosphere with the same amount of beer. The fest starts around the same time as the Okotoberfest.

Masturbatory Manatee
Oct 18, 2005
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
HURRRRRR
My buddy and I are going to be in Munich and then Berlin Aug 19-28 and going on to Prague afterwards. Other than visiting museums/other big name things, we don't really have a solid idea.

Love some suggestions of cool places/activities. Especially restaurants, beer garden/pub/bar and nightlife.

Also, would you recommend reserving train tickets ahead of time or will it be cheaper buying day of with my Uni ID?

Roxette
May 30, 2011

Hit up the Hofbrauhause in Munich for some WWII history and some beer.

Take a look at DeutscheBahn's website for rail ticket pricing (you can switch the language to English), sometimes they have tickets up for sale. I believe if you are a student you can get an open ticket for a decent price, but I am not 100% sure on that, something you will have to check on if that is the case.

For folks in the Stuttgart area they will have their Sommerfest from the 4th through the 7th of August.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Masturbatory Manatee posted:

Berlin

http://www.alternativeberlin.com/

I did the free tour and the pub crawl - both were pretty rad

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
The Wasn in Stuttgart is p cool but i've never been to the Wiesn so I don't know how it compares.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

niethan posted:

The Wasn in Stuttgart is p cool but i've never been to the Wiesn so I don't know how it compares.

I'd say they're both poo poo. (Never been to either)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

The Oktoberfest is pretty much a zoo where you go with the intention of experiencing german fest-culture. Except instead of actually experiencing german culture, you end up experiencing other cultures that are there to experience german culture.

The first time I went there was 20 years ago with my family and I loved the rides, haunted houses, etc. I ended up loving it, but more like a fun park. So when I back there with my buddies for the authentic Oktoberfest experience (you know, heavy drinking to the point where you don't give a gently caress and sing the most ridiculous songs on tables, drinking some more, throwing up/falling asleep in public and getting in fights) when I was 16-17, it was something entirely different.

The last time I went back was in 2008 I believe and it hat gotten even worse. Brutally overcrowded, your average Maß beer runs you about as much as a used car and is 20-40% foam, if you don't get up at 4 to catch a train at 5 to be there at 7 to get in line at 7 to wait 1-2 hours to get into a tent, you're hosed and after 6pm you're bound to end up in a fight/a puddle of someone else's puke or piss/a holding cell/etc.

I may have grown up to be a bitter rear end in a top hat about the whole thing, but it's just not an enjoyable experience at all and I doubt it has been for a while. There are 2 reasons to go, one being the simple fact of being able to say "I was there" and the other being the ability to wear ridiculous outfits and getting absolutely hammered in them. And the latter is something that can be done at any number of other small local fests and will probably end up being cheaper/closer/more fun, albeit without the name recognition of Oktoberfest.
(Oh god, I used the word "name recognition" outside D&D for the first time in what feels like a loving eternity)

The Wasn is a lot better with regard to all the stuff that pisses me off about Oktoberfest, but I still consider it to be one of "the big ones". Not really a fan of huge gatherings of people.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 1, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Are there any gimmicky bars (like the Absolute Icebar in Sweden, or the stock market exchange bar in Barcelona) in the Cologne and Dusseldorf area that is worth taking a friend visiting from the US to?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Düsseldorf has "die längste Theke der Welt".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-9SFEon754

If you are looking for a gimmick like a stock exchange google Bierbörse. I don't know about Cologne and Düsseldorf, but if even Bielefeld has one surely those two should have one too.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Oktoberfest really isn't what it used to be, it has changed for the worse during the past 10 years or so. The Historische Wiesn is supposed to be great though.

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

I've traveled to the Weisn for the past couple of years and will be there this year as well. I agree with "Stuhlmajor" - there are more tourists at Oktoberfest than Germans - so much so that it is easy to forget you are actually in Germany. Especially in the Schottenheimer tent which is known as the 'international tent'. Someone should just hang the Australian flag on a pole outside. Regardless though it is still fun as hell and Munich is a fabulous city - just expensive as hell.

Definitely reserve train tickets ahead of time - much cheaper than a last minute grab. The Hof Brau house is a big tourist spot, Marienplatz, Dachau (Concentration camp memorial) are easy Munich excursions or spots to visit. They have some beautiful churches there as well.

Restaurants - my 1st thought is that I've never had a bad meal in Germany, especially in Bavaria. I don't know the name but the next street behind the Hilton City Center on RosenheimerStrasse is a really good (and popular) German restaurant. I'll try and dig up the name from the Wife's facebook.

Masturbatory Manatee
Oct 18, 2005
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
CHUCK NORRIS
HURRRRRR
Thanks for the suggestions about berlin and munich.

Are there any good websites for nightclubs, I'm looking for the kind which let me check out whats going on at clubs all around town. Google is failing me, I've only found this for Prague. Any city event guides would be helpful too.

Alternately, any suggestions on fun nightclubs for my buddy and I to go to? We're 20something graduate students (so we should fit right in in Berlin) and he likes electronic/trance/DJ stuff which I can put up with, I'm more into heavy metal.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Not exactly an expert on electro, trance et al, but if you guys happen to find yourself in Friedrichshain, there are a couple of locations that would fit your friends and all are well within a 5min walk of eachother:

• Cassiopeia
    Revaler Straße 99, Electro HipHop Punk Reggae Rock
  • Die Busche
    Warschauer Platz 18, 80er 90er Blackmusic (heh, they said "black") Charts Dance Disco Electro; If I recall correctly, they have a dedicated electro night
  • Fritz-Club (not making that name up)
    Straße der Pariser Kommune 3-10, Electro, this one's more of a 10min walk from the others, just across the rails near Ostbahnhof
  • Matrix
    Warschauer Platz 18, Electro, House, 80s, Blackmusic, Dancefloor

(These are all easily accessible via the stop "Warschauer Straße" by the way)

• Lauschangriff
    Rigaer Str. 103, DnB, Dubstep, Electro, this is the only one i recall via a referral from a buddy of mine, is roughly half a mile north-northeast of the other clubs, accessible via the stop "Frankfurter Tor"

I decided to go with the locations in Friedrichshain, because if you decide to tell your friends to go gently caress themselves at any point, you're pretty close to a clustering of rock/metal bars I've been to, namely:

• Wikingerbar
    Dolzinger Straße 24, not really anything too viking-y about it, but I really liked the whole makeup of the place, all wood, lots of clichéed memorabilia and the atmosphere was pretty chill, about 5mins from the stop "Samariterstraße"
  • Jailbreak
    Bänschstraße 79, rather small place, so it might not be the premier choice for a 20-strong group, but it has nice folks and it's within 200 yards of Wikingerbar
  • Halford
    Boxenhagener Straße 19, once again, a referral, didn't go there myself, but it's supposed to be decent, this one's closer to the electro-clubs, so pretty much in between the stops Warschauer Straße and Frankfurter Tor
  • K-17
    Pettenkofer Straße 17a, rather big place, largely live-music oriented, closest to the stop "Frankfurter Allee"

Hope this helps.

Also: If your visit happens to coincide with one of those industrial events at K17, run like gently caress, because the pregame-postgame stuff usually fans out in the surrounding metal bars and...Jesus Christ...I mean, I'm tolerant and pretty chill, but Jesus Christ.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 2, 2011

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
^^^^As far as I know the Jailbreak closed shop a while ago and there is a massive figure of a leather-clad biker in front of the Halford for a reason (remember the stereotype of gay bikers with mustaches? Halford himself shaped it), don't go there with girls unless you want to feel really uncomfortable (not because "Ew gay people" but because people will actively stare you down with a rather hostile look.)

Also you have a truly terrible taste in clubs, except for maybe the Lauschangriff and the K-17, the rest are the absolute worst berlin has to offer (unless you count poo poo like the Kontrast in the outskirts of the city), even if you don't go there yourself you should feel ashamed for mentioning them.

Masturbatory Manatee posted:

Thanks for the suggestions about berlin and munich.

Are there any good websites for nightclubs, I'm looking for the kind which let me check out whats going on at clubs all around town. Google is failing me, I've only found this for Prague. Any city event guides would be helpful too.

Alternately, any suggestions on fun nightclubs for my buddy and I to go to? We're 20something graduate students (so we should fit right in in Berlin) and he likes electronic/trance/DJ stuff which I can put up with, I'm more into heavy metal.

The 030 has a nice overview of the biggest clubs in Berlin and what is happening there, pick a date and click on "Party finden".

The Watergate and the RAW-Tempel seem to be rather popular with the electro-kids nowadays since they have renowned DJs on a regular basis.

hankor fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 2, 2011

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, apparently i forgot to state how much I dislike clubs after saying I was "not exactly an expert on electro, trance et al". I haven't been to a single of the non-rock places I listed, save for the Lauschangriff.
I chose them for their location in Friedrichshain, where I know a couple of rock places he could have alternately gone to.

On a related matter, it seems Halford also closed down a little over 2 weeks ago, so I'm poo poo out of advice.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Just go to the Berghain.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Just go to an Irish Pub and get drunk. gently caress this dancing to bad music poo poo

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Irish pubs are lame as hell. They're the McDonalds of the pub scene. At least try and go into a random Eckkneipe. You can get loving hammered there for about 10-20 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Pair
Mar 16, 2011

In Munich they have a club 'area' with multiple bars called kunstpark. Some of the bars there seemed to be some younger teenagers in but a lot of 20ish crowd as well. Different music in each of the clubs and it is easy access to the subway.

To be honest though, I have a hard time in Europe at the clubs gauging age. It's not like the US where if she has a drink there is a 98% chance she is 21 or over. so just keep that in mind.

Edit: nevermind - it looks like that club area was closed down.

Square Pair fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 2, 2011