Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

fawker posted:

God drat...

When Im rolling with buds, I always lock in my kimuras/armbars slow because Im always super paranoid about snapping someone's arm like that. They always escape cause of that and I feel stupid.

Well that guy's arm broke because Rhadi is an extremely explosive athlete and he was competing to be in the Olympics, so he wasn't holding anything back. I'm sure he didn't mean to but poo poo happens.

imtheism posted:

They don't escape because you're locking it in slow, they escape because your technique is bad.

The difference between locked in and broken is pretty minimal in terms of their ability to escape. If you have it 'locked', they aren't getting away. But, you can have something locked without shattering their arm to pieces.

At my first NAGA tournament the guy I lost to locked in an armbar on me from mount. He locked it in loving s.l.o.w.l.y. I was certain I could roll into him because it was happening so slowly and I would have time to explode, but I was wrong. His technique was just solid and I stayed on my back. I also was really, really, bad then, where now I'm just really bad. At any rate I'd say you're right on that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fontoyn posted:

Any striking goons mind critiquing a couple videos of me sparring over the next week or so?

If you're willing to post them, I'm sure people will have things to chip in.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

esquilax posted:

I'm still trying to piece it together in my head but I was planning on max or near max effort on the max effort lifts, and a few reps short of failure on the rep work. Heavy squats tend to ruin the rest of my workout though, so I'll go percentage on those.

I used to be on this variation and that had a good mix of heavy and high rep work for me. Right now I'm thinking I'll take that, drop rep upper body day (moving grip to the end of ME lower day), combine ME upper and DE lower (dropping the traps and biceps work). Also add power cleans or kettlebell lifts to ME lower day, plus some agilities work and turkish get-ups as a warmup on both days.

The program seems a little crowded though and I think I'm getting into sperg territory. I'll try it out for a few weeks and go from there.

You could get away with doing your lower DE on a lower ME day if it was done either first or as complex training. That would allow for a serious "agility" session before the ME upper day. Also remember that most DE work will help with agility. You won't really need additional Olympics or kettlebells if you already have the DE work, unless you just want them for fun.

@ tarepanda

Yeah kettlebells do work grip, but I haven't seen anything to indicate more grip work than say deads or Kroc rows. From a sport specific stand point grabbing gi material could have a better transfer over for Judo than grabbing a bar/kettlebell.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Boxing dudes: anyone have recommendations for a heavy bag + stand set up? My friend wants it for a birthday present and we figured it'd be a pretty cool thing to have around. He can't have one that's wall mounted or with the stand bolted to the floor, though. Are there any viable options for a "floating" bag stand? Maybe build our own?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

canoshiz posted:

Boxing dudes: anyone have recommendations for a heavy bag + stand set up? My friend wants it for a birthday present and we figured it'd be a pretty cool thing to have around. He can't have one that's wall mounted or with the stand bolted to the floor, though. Are there any viable options for a "floating" bag stand? Maybe build our own?

Lots of hanging stands don't need to be bolted, but you'd probably still want to keep them in the corner to keep the frame from banging around too much. The downside is not being able to circle much around the bag. You could make your own if you had some decent steel lying around.

I've never met a free-standing heavy bag that I've liked. I guess it's fine for hitting at a distance, but if you get close to it, you can't really push it away from you for realistically positioned body shots.

One more thing -- no matter what the solution is, expect it to be really loud. Between the gloves hitting the bag and the stand solution creaking/clunking, it's going to be noisy.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I had my own bag a (really old leather one, filled with sand) in the attic and I used thick rubber sheets to insulate the chain, you couldn't hear a thing no matter how hard I was hitting hit, above, below or five meters away, The evil masterminds who run this building forced me to remove it anyway, but that had nothing to do with sound disturbance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ligur posted:

I had my own bag a (really old leather one, filled with sand) in the attic and I used thick rubber sheets to insulate the chain, you couldn't hear a thing no matter how hard I was hitting hit, above, below or five meters away, The evil masterminds who run this building forced me to remove it anyway, but that had nothing to do with sound disturbance.
Ok, I'd be surprised if I couldn't hear the wap of someone landing punches on a bag right above me, but I guess it's feasible to deaden the sound some.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Cross-posting from the general diet/exercise megathread:

I'm interested in making a kettlebell setup out of pipes and plate weights like this: http://www.davedraper.com/pmwiki/pm...PmWiki.T-Handle

I've never really worked out beyond the 100 push-ups routine. I have my diet worked out, so that's not an issue. I'm just looking for a beginner kettlebell routine that I could do with that kind of homemade setup. I can get pipes easily and can order weights online. There are no gyms near me, so that's out of the question.

What would be a reasonable weight for me to start with?

What are some two-handed exercises I can do with the setup I linked?

How many reps/what kind of exercises should I be aiming for?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
All the "frame" style (dunno how to describe it exactly) stands are like way too loving expensive, jesus. I think that would be ideal as well since I like to circle the bag as well. Are there any good ones that aren't nearly a grand? Also what brands of bags are good?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
So all the white belts trained arm bars today (all 5 of us) and about half way through it felt like someone poured hot water on the inside of my elbow even though no one really cranked anything too hard. Thats pretty normal right? You BJJ guys are just used to it?
Also, I have to redo my Judo yellow belt test in a week because I wasn't a member of the IJF when I did it before (I passed last time though so its all good), which made me wonder if my club gets anything out of my membership to the IJF. Is it just so the IJF can get statistics on how many judo players there are or does it help my club in some way?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

So all the white belts trained arm bars today (all 5 of us) and about half way through it felt like someone poured hot water on the inside of my elbow even though no one really cranked anything too hard. Thats pretty normal right? You BJJ guys are just used to it?
Is it still hurting?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

Is it still hurting?

Like 10% of what it did right after practice. Its been about an hour now.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass
I rolled with some guys from my BJJ club last evening and I blacked out from a Von Flue choke. I was out for about 10 seconds and felt fine afterwards, except for a bit of drowsiness. That's nothing to worry about, right?

The wierd thing is I didn't even feel the choke coming on that strong, I just remember struggling to get one of my arms free and then all of a sudden it felt like I was dreaming a bunch of random stuff, like having to back to work the following day and my mom. Shortly thereafter I was feeling confused about having fallen asleep while laying on the mat since I wasn't even that tired from rolling :I

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That happens. Sometimes the choke is just right and it's like a flash blackout, you're out before you feel any real pain or building pressure. I had a string of these at white belt when I figured out how to properly lapel choke people, people who didn't really realize how quick you can go out.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Nierbo posted:

I'm not sure if it's the same, but after practice, sometimes for a few hours my skin will be "hot" from the abrasions of the gi and the mat. This is mostly on places like knees, back of the shoulders, elbows, etc.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
kneed myself in the face again and got a bloody nose lol. guess its good to be that flexible though, just gotta stop being so clumsy

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

canoshiz posted:

All the "frame" style (dunno how to describe it exactly) stands are like way too loving expensive, jesus. I think that would be ideal as well since I like to circle the bag as well. Are there any good ones that aren't nearly a grand? Also what brands of bags are good?

There are no good ones for cheap. You could make your own on the cheap, but it still wouldn't be that cheap. But I still think a hanging bag is important enough to warrant getting a bottom of the barrel one like this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00622257000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00622257000P
Even that one won't sway straight back cuz of how close it's hung to the pole/braces.

A decent bag is gonna be $150 or so, too. For your starter bag, just get the 100lb bag here:
http://store.titleboxing.com/hbv.html

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

mindtwist posted:

kneed myself in the face again and got a bloody nose lol. guess its good to be that flexible though, just gotta stop being so clumsy

I swam in HS and got bored so I started diving after practice to screw around. On my first attempts at a front flip, instead of rotating around, I just kneed myself in the jaw, bit my lip and belly flopped.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

Is it still hurting?

This is going to go one of two ways:
1) You quote my post saying its feeling better, and say 'well theres ya fuckin answer then'
2) This is your soft, caring side that we've all been waiting for.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

beadgc posted:

The wierd thing is I didn't even feel the choke coming on that strong, I just remember struggling to get one of my arms free and then all of a sudden it felt like I was dreaming a bunch of random stuff, like having to back to work the following day and my mom. Shortly thereafter I was feeling confused about having fallen asleep while laying on the mat since I wasn't even that tired from rolling :I

That pretty much describes each of the times I have put somebody out (3 times in thousands of hours of Randori/rolling, so not very often). It means they hit a technique that was 100% a blood choke and 0% a strangle. When somebody hits a technique perfectly there isn't anything you can do. Every guy I have put out on that situation was fine other than a headache. One of them is an open heart surgeon, so as long as the other got let go pretty quick once you started snoring you don't have anything worry about.

The surgeon dreamed of a day with his ex, the marine dreamed of when he was when he was deployed Iraq, and the I don't remember if the other guy dreamed anything.

One time a guy from my Judo club got checked out at a tourny and when he woke up he was convinced that the day had just begun and that he was going to be late for the tournament.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

One time a guy from my Judo club got checked out at a tourny and when he woke up he was convinced that the day had just begun and that he was going to be late for the tournament.
Thats one of my favourite stories that I've read on here. Makes me laugh majorly every time.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

This is going to go one of two ways:
1) You quote my post saying its feeling better, and say 'well theres ya fuckin answer then'
2) This is your soft, caring side that we've all been waiting for.

3) No the fact wether the pain is persistent is just pertinent to my diagnosis. You should know doctor space man. Like if it's still hurting just as bad the next day there's probably something lovely going on. I finally went to the doc a week after i got slammed on my arm and the pain didn't go away turns out it was a hairline fracture. But I've had a ton of poo poo go down that hurt considerably less the next day and was gone after a week or two. So there's your answer.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

3) No the fact wether the pain is persistent is just pertinent to my diagnosis. You should know doctor space man. Like if it's still hurting just as bad the next day there's probably something lovely going on. I finally went to the doc a week after i got slammed on my arm and the pain didn't go away turns out it was a hairline fracture. But I've had a ton of poo poo go down that hurt considerably less the next day and was gone after a week or two. So there's your answer.

Its all back to normal almost a day later, thanks for your reply.

Ibsen
Jun 20, 2006
I am Not.
Just popped into my head, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced problems with their health insurance companies changing their plans around if they know you're doing martial arts?

BlackCircle
Oct 21, 2005

I did Nazi that butt coming
On the topic of injuries, yesterday we were doing sweeps and I managed to gently caress my landing up really bad. I'm usually really good about landing properly so I don't hurt myself but that morning I just messed up and landed full weight on my shoulder. It hurt like a bitch and I had to sit out the rest of class which pissed me off more then anything. I wanted to roll so bad but I could not put anything at all on my shoulder.

Even now almost a day later I have full movement except for when I reach out like I'm reaching up to grab at a collar or something around that area. I'm considering going to the doctor today so I can see if I messed it up badly. It would suck if it knocked me down for a little while since I just got my pre-reg in for the NAGA Battle at the Beach in Wildwood the first weekend of August. I was really looking forward to competing in my first tournament.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

BlackCircle posted:

On the topic of injuries, yesterday we were doing sweeps and I managed to gently caress my landing up really bad. I'm usually really good about landing properly so I don't hurt myself but that morning I just messed up and landed full weight on my shoulder. It hurt like a bitch and I had to sit out the rest of class which pissed me off more then anything. I wanted to roll so bad but I could not put anything at all on my shoulder.

Even now almost a day later I have full movement except for when I reach out like I'm reaching up to grab at a collar or something around that area. I'm considering going to the doctor today so I can see if I messed it up badly. It would suck if it knocked me down for a little while since I just got my pre-reg in for the NAGA Battle at the Beach in Wildwood the first weekend of August. I was really looking forward to competing in my first tournament.

You pretty much have to see an ortho or a sports medicine guy to properly diagnose something like this. The shoulder is a really complex joint and there are dozens of tests that can be performed to identify a dysfunction. The down side is they'll probably want an MRI for positive diagnosis. GPs or PAs are only going to be able to diagnose a really frank tear because they don't have much trauma experience.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ibsen posted:

Just popped into my head, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced problems with their health insurance companies changing their plans around if they know you're doing martial arts?

I've never heard of that happening, but lack of evidence doesn't prove it has never happened. I have heard some plans, you can get discounts for fitness. I would imagine if you listed your occupation as martial artists or something, you might have some trouble.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

beadgc posted:

I rolled with some guys from my BJJ club last evening and I blacked out from a Von Flue choke. I was out for about 10 seconds and felt fine afterwards, except for a bit of drowsiness. That's nothing to worry about, right?

Now imagine this happening your first match in a tournament from an anaconda choke 20 seconds into the match. That was not a good day.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

beadgc posted:

wait, the von flue choke is a real thing? Really?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Yes, it's been for around a long time even before Von Flue lent his name to it.

I do it all the time to white (and occasionally blue) belts who need a reminder not to go for guillotines when their guard has been passed.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Fontoyn posted:

wait, the von flue choke is a real thing? Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka-VfDAvQjI

from guard but same idea.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I just taught the von flue to the latest batch of white belts. I think that plus armbar and RNC should be the first submissions taught.

Every person who doesn't know how to grapple goes for the neck under side and it's important for bjj players to be able to punish that mistake. It kills that habit in the class and prepares them for a very likely scenario in a self defense situation.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I should probably stop going for guillotines from literally everywhere, which I tend to do. Especially from inside my opponent's half-guard.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
First day back on the mat after 3 months off for injury and work. Holy balls, I wanted to die. I ran every day and lifted 3x a week and I was still completely unprepared for the workout. It's still amazing how much more intense a good roll is than just about any other sport I can think of.

I keep getting caught in all kinds of head and arm chokes from good blues / purple belt level guys, clearly i'm doing something stupid that sets it up. When I'm on bottom, in the scramble, I have relatively long arms and I feel like they get away from me too easy, opening up that angle under my armpit where they just dive for the d'arce or something. Gotta work on my T-Rex.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

I should probably stop going for guillotines from literally everywhere, which I tend to do. Especially from inside my opponent's half-guard.

it's pretty low risk to look for them, as long as you're not being completely insane and trying to choke guys under side control or mount. If we were rolling and you kept going for it, I would say "wow he must like that choke" rather than "wow, what an idiot".

One cool thing is that you can turn a lovely guillotine into a nice headlock, which leads to a sweep which can then turn that headlock into a good guillotine. Especially no-gi where it's harder to control guys.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I appear to have contracted molluscum contagiosum. I know this takes a long time to go away. I don't particularly want to stop training for 6 months - 2 years.

It's all over my forearm. What precautions should I take to stop from spreading it to other people?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Could you not get them frozen or burnt off to help get rid of them faster? I wouldn't want to train with you until it's gone.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 27, 2011

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Ask your doctor, explain the situation.

You may also want to tell your teacher; they should probably disinfect the mats and see if anyone else has symptoms.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Neurosis posted:

I appear to have contracted molluscum contagiosum. I know this takes a long time to go away. I don't particularly want to stop training for 6 months - 2 years.

It's all over my forearm. What precautions should I take to stop from spreading it to other people?

wow, I googled that and I think I had it like 5-6 years ago :o didn't know what those weird bumps were, but they dissapeared (leaving stupid scars, mostly gone by now)on their own a couple months after... No one in my family/my GF caught anything though, so it must have been something else? It was also all over my right forearm!

---

I'd do what tarepanda said. 1 tell your coach so they can do what is necessary so no one else gets it. 2 go see your doctor so you can go back to the mat faster.

--
Judo yesterday, the coach showed us some really neat stuff. Mainly how to get some throws (Ippon seio) in different situations like when you have regular kumi kata and your opponent keeps you from sending your arm in the right position or when the opponent catches your sleeve and your not able to get his collar, etc. It was really fun.

Then we had some randori and I was beating a much bigger guy than me and the coach was all over it, making comments and suggesting stuff so I get even better. And then he asked the best guy who was there to come fight me so I didn't get too proud of myself I guess. I ended up losing the randori, but I think I really held my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

Then we had some randori and I was beating a much bigger guy than me and the coach was all over it, making comments and suggesting stuff so I get even better.

Awesome man, thats the best sort of coach. What tips did he give you?

• Locked thread