Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Ender.uNF posted:

Keep receipts/bills and track everything. You will save a bunch of money come tax time.

You do need to get a good accountant. I didn't get anything until I found a guy that knows how tax law works for musicians. It is tricky, though. For example, the 'spare room' thing is true if it is only used for business, and since it's based on square footage, you can't just start deducting the living room.

Do you all do tax withholdings with your payments from Apple, or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Installed the 4.1 update from the Mac app store, and it totally hosed Xcode. Ugh... gonna delete then reinstall I guess.

edit: and either I typed my password wrong, or you have to be a registered Mac developer for Xcode 4.1 to download the OS X 10.7 docs :rolleyes:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 21, 2011

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I wish XPC's documentation had been updated for release. It's just plain incorrect. You have to visit the dev forums for accurate information.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

lord funk posted:

You do need to get a good accountant. I didn't get anything until I found a guy that knows how tax law works for musicians. It is tricky, though. For example, the 'spare room' thing is true if it is only used for business, and since it's based on square footage, you can't just start deducting the living room.

Do you all do tax withholdings with your payments from Apple, or not?

I don't do tax withholding for various reasons. You are definitely correct - if you have assets that you use for business and non-business you can only deduct the business percentage from your taxes.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 21, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Doc Block posted:

Installed the 4.1 update from the Mac app store, and it totally hosed Xcode. Ugh... gonna delete then reinstall I guess.

edit: and either I typed my password wrong, or you have to be a registered Mac developer for Xcode 4.1 to download the OS X 10.7 docs :rolleyes:

After downloading Xcode 4 compeltely wiped my machine this is why I never update anything through the app store unless I have nothing mission critical going on whatsoever. I don't trust that thing a single bit, especially when downloading and installing Xcode takes 6+ hours.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah for some reason you can't obtain Xcode 4.1 without being on a Lion machine and using the App Store.

I tried to download it at work just so I could install it immediately when I came home instead of having to download it at home first, but no go. At least no way I could find.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Can't you just copy the installer to a thumbdrive and then take it home? (should be in /Applications)

Is there anybody else here who's in the iOS dev program but not the Mac dev program that has Xcode 4.1? If so, could you please try to download the 10.7 docs (in the Documentation panel in Preferences) and let me know how it goes.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Doc Block posted:

Can't you just copy the installer to a thumbdrive and then take it home? (should be in /Applications)
No; the App Store on 10.6.x will refuse to download it.

Doc Block posted:

Is there anybody else here who's in the iOS dev program but not the Mac dev program that has Xcode 4.1? If so, could you please try to download the 10.7 docs (in the Documentation panel in Preferences) and let me know how it goes.
I got prompted to login to get the documentation, but Apple probably forgot to set them public. I suggest filing a bugreport.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Doc Block posted:

XCode 4.1 downloaded over night and I just installed it now, in the Docs pane there are the following:
  • iOS 4.3 Library (installed)
  • Mac OS X 10.7 Core Library (installed)
  • Xcode 4.1 Developer Library (installed)
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Core Library (not installed)
  • Mac OS X Legacy Library (not installed)
So it appears they are now there by default? FWIW, I have a free developer account.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I'm trying to update a codeless kext for 10.7 - the problem I'm having is that when I try to load the kext I'm getting a report that com.apple.kernel.libkern version number 6.0 is incompatible with x86_64. Does anyone know which version number I should be using?

UPDATE: The kernel extension was old and crappy enough that it was specifying the flat-out wrong bundle name. I updated it to com.apple.kpi.libkern, set the version number all the way up to 11, and it loaded happily :)

csammis fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 22, 2011

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Anyone know if there's an Incremental Store Programming Guide yet? On Apple's site & in the docs with Xcode 4.1 it mentions it, but there aren't any links.

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/CoreData/Reference/NSIncrementalStore_Class/Reference/NSIncrementalStore.html

It looks really nifty and is definitely something I'd like to look closer at.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody getting warnings like "No previous prototype for function" when building under Clang in Xcode 4.1?

EDIT: What's the "correct" way to release a CTFont? CFRelease?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 24, 2011

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Small White Dragon posted:

EDIT: What's the "correct" way to release a CTFont? CFRelease?

The CTFont class documentation states it's derived from CFTypeRef, so absent a custom release function, CFRelease is the right way to release it.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 24, 2011

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah
I thought this thread might find this link useful: http://mattgemmell.com/2011/07/25/network-link-conditioner-in-lion

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

xelfer posted:

I thought this thread might find this link useful: http://mattgemmell.com/2011/07/25/network-link-conditioner-in-lion

That looks incredibly useful, thanks for the heads up!

atomic johnson
Dec 7, 2000

peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes
Is there an Apple-sanctioned way to download all of the WWDC videos? One-by-one in iTunes is kinda sucking.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

atomic johnson posted:

Is there an Apple-sanctioned way to download all of the WWDC videos? One-by-one in iTunes is kinda sucking.

Once you subscribe to it, isn't there a Get All button in the iTunes U area you can mash?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Is it feasible to make a game in HTML5, deploy it on a bunch of platforms, including iOS through PhoneGap?

Do you lose out on anything important going that route (IAP, performance, etc etc)?

We've got an idea for a game that we want to do a prototype for, but collectively our iOS experience is pretty light. HTML5, however, we can do much faster.

However, we want a native app on iOS so we can take advantage of the app store.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 26, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

xelfer posted:

Now if only they had something like this to scale down the processor power in the device simulator.

The first time I realized that performance in the simulator and performance on an iOS device were two completely different things was a sad day indeed :(

fake edit: Nice to see that in six months off coding ObjC I've forgotten just about everything there is to know. Back to CS193P for me :sigh:

atomic johnson
Dec 7, 2000

peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes

echobucket posted:

Once you subscribe to it, isn't there a Get All button in the iTunes U area you can mash?

Yep. I guess it was in my blind spot. Thanks.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Malloreon posted:

Is it feasible to make a game in HTML5, deploy it on a bunch of platforms, including iOS through PhoneGap?

Do you lose out on anything important going that route (IAP, performance, etc etc)?

We've got an idea for a game that we want to do a prototype for, but collectively our iOS experience is pretty light. HTML5, however, we can do much faster.

However, we want a native app on iOS so we can take advantage of the app store.

Depending on the type of game, performance can be a lot worse. Even for 2D games, native apps try to use the GPU for drawing, both for the performance benefits and the decrease in battery consumption.

Cocos2D is a pretty good native 2D game framework. I don't know how similar making games in HTML5 is to Flash, but people who know Flash say that Cocos2D's API is very Flash-like. It's very easy to learn.

As to suff like IAP and GameCenter, it depends on what PhoneGap supports. Might want to wait and see how the whole Lodsys thing plays out.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 26, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So when working with foundation in xcode 4

code:
NSAutoreleasePool * pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
is replaced by
code:
@Autoreleaspool;
?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

KidDynamite posted:

So when working with foundation in Xcode 4

code:
[pool drain];
is replaced by
code:
@autoreleasepool {
}

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

KidDynamite posted:

So when working with foundation in xcode 4

code:
is replaced by
code:
@Autoreleaspool;
?
This is only if ARC is enabled, which it is for new Xcode 4 projects. It can be disabled.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Clang (i.e. LLVM Compiler) supports @autoreleasepool {} independently of ARC.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Are there any good HTML parsers other than ElementTree for iOS?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is there any way of downloading xcode 4.1 from apple other than the loving app store.

Its been about 8 hours and its still only at about 10-15%. Having tried to flip open xcode to work on a contract this morning only to discover lion has invalidated my copy (ughhhh) I've lost an entire day to this poo poo and seeing no chance of an improvement.

I can not stand this app store stuff. Just give me a goddamn website apple... :suicide:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The app store uses Akamai for content delivery, and which server you end up downloading from is determined by DNS if I'm not mistaken.

People who use alternate DNS servers have reported having slow Mac app store downloads until they switched back to using their ISP's DNS server.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is the lag between touch event and drawing unavoidable?

This is a new OpenGL ES project, with a simple draw frame that draws a circle for each touch point. drawFrame is running of an NSTimer. I tried pushing the drawFrame method only when touches were updated - but there was a noticeable bottleneck when lots of touches updated quickly (the frames would get backed up, then catch up as fast as they could).

Is there a trick out there to avoid this? I'm drawing 2D only, simple geometric shapes.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
It looks like my app gets stuck in some sort of loop/deadlock when trying to set a property on an NSManagedObject.
I'm using dynamic instead of synthesizing because it's what the autogenerated code does when in a Core Data enabled project (I manually added CD into mine). Console just tells me "warning: Unable to restore previously selected frame." and 100 calls to the nonexisting setter followed by a malloc_gdb_po_unsafe...

nvm, found a viewdidunload that mistakenly released my object ahead of time, I'm good now

newreply.php fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 31, 2011

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

Is the lag between touch event and drawing unavoidable?

This is a new OpenGL ES project, with a simple draw frame that draws a circle for each touch point. drawFrame is running of an NSTimer. I tried pushing the drawFrame method only when touches were updated - but there was a noticeable bottleneck when lots of touches updated quickly (the frames would get backed up, then catch up as fast as they could).

Is there a trick out there to avoid this? I'm drawing 2D only, simple geometric shapes.

What interval are you using for the NSTimer? Have you tried using DisplayLink instead?

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

this is an app-related development question, but it's more business-based so feel free to ignore:

what're some good ways to advertise your apps? and more importantly for me in the short-term, advertise that you do on-contract development services? I have a notice up on theymakeapps that's gotten me a couple hits, but anything else that's worked well for you would be great to know.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

What interval are you using for the NSTimer? Have you tried using DisplayLink instead?

Now that I take a closer look, it is running off of DisplayLink, with the interval set to 1 (I think this means its updating 60x / sec).

Google is telling me that this is expected behavior, but I didn't know if there was any sorcery out there to tighten it up.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Try NSTimer with the interval set to something fast like 1/240. I've heard of people having issues with touches and DisplayLink.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

lord funk posted:

Now that I take a closer look, it is running off of DisplayLink, with the interval set to 1 (I think this means its updating 60x / sec).

Google is telling me that this is expected behavior, but I didn't know if there was any sorcery out there to tighten it up.
If your render is chewing up too much CPU time, you can miss or have events delayed.

So you could also try, say, 20 or 30fps and see what happens.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can't believe I can't figure out this problem on my own, and I can't believe I can't find the answer on Google either, but here goes:

Is there a way to format a floating-point number so it displays without any trailing zeros? Like, a value of 5.125 should display as 5.125, but a value of 5 should display as 5 instead of 5.000, and 5.5 should display as 5.5 instead of 5.500. Is there any way to do this without resorting to manipulating the string after the face to remove trailing 0s and decimal points?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Maybe NSNumberFormatter?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Are there any good guides (in the Apple documentation or otherwise) for creating GUI applications for OS X, especially with advice on how to structure the controllers, how to get controllers talking to each other, and other design patterns?

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
I've got this big dictionary in a plist of addresses, phone numbers, etc. I'm accessing it through a standard UINavigationController / UITableViewController setup, but there might be modes of the app where we want to open that data from whatever view we're in.

So essentially: how do I create a view controller that takes/requires a parameter to instantiate correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

Try NSTimer with the interval set to something fast like 1/240. I've heard of people having issues with touches and DisplayLink.

It has the same result. Also, NSTimers can effectively fire at a maximum 1/50 - 1/100 second.

I've been toying with predicting where the touch should be by watching the change in coordinates, and adding that to the requested x/y position. It works, but it's jittery. Might be something in there, though.