Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

McKracken posted:

I've never heard of a website that aggregates NFL job listings. Do you mean for the business side of things, like PR, IT, marketing etc, or a front office/coaching position?
My brother is getting a degree in Sports Management (I think that's the official name of it anyway) and has zero coaching or playing experience on a level beyond intramurals so he'd be looking for anything non-coaching.

jeffersonlives posted:

I think he's talking about PBEO. There's not exactly a per se football equivalent AFAIK; NFL jobs are on Teamwork, NCAA jobs are on the NCAA site, and everything else is hit and miss.
PBEO sounds right. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Do any of you know a good video for teaching kids to throw (I can handle catching) a football? My family sent me a football and I'm going to try and teach my Georgian students the basics.

Man these Caucasians all look like natural quarterbacks, most of them are tall and they universally have long arms and huge hands.

konna
Aug 1, 2005

Im quite sure nfl.com videos worked on ipad month or two ago. Now they throw up the regular "you need flash..". The nfl app only shows videos about the draft. It is weird like they backtracked on their video format. Same for everyone else?

Edit: im dumb. The Nfl app shows new non draft videos although you can't search for older videos or browse earlier videos.

konna fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 11, 2011

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

Just had a question ... I'm curious as to what the title would be to the theme song that plays at the start of this video. I'm sure it's from NFL Music, as I've heard it playing in other NFL videos I've seen. Thanks in advance.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Quick question how many refs/judges are there for any given NFL game?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Scrotos posted:

Quick question how many refs/judges are there for any given NFL game?

Seven: referee, umpire, head linesman, line judge, back judge, side judge, field judge

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

jeffersonlives posted:

Seven: referee, umpire, head linesman, line judge, back judge, side judge, field judge

Ok and each one them has a responsibility of watching one of the eligible receivers corrects?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Scrotos posted:

Ok and each one them has a responsibility of watching one of the eligible receivers corrects?

If it is anything like the 7 man crews I have worked on for HS ball this is not the case. I was only an umpire and line judge/head lineman so I can't comment on other positions were taught to que off of. I do know that at umpire I was supposed to que off of the three interior o-linemen and as a LJ/HL I was to watch the player who is furthest out and on the line who may be a tackle or a TE/WR. I also had some responsibility in regards to backs, but that was mainly when I worked 4 man crews.

As for the other positions I know the referee watches the QB mainly and the deep guys(SJ, BJ, FJ) all que off of a different receiver. I have never worked as a deep man so I don't remember how they determine who they watch. I know that strength is an important factor but I don't remember exactly how it is used.

Again this is from my limited experience reffing HS football. I am sure Trin or some of the other refs can answer it more fully. Your assumption is basically correct, but in reality it works a little differently.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
This is a slightly odd question and won't be an issue for a very long time, but I don't remember 2002 or 1999 at all, and it's been eating at me.

How do expansion drafts work?

I mean, I know that when a team is created from scratch, it has to stock itself with players. But how does that happen without depleting the draft that year of all of its talent?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

When the Jaguars and Panthers started they had a straight up expansion draft from teams to start.

Basically every other team picked 6 players, and each time an expansion team selected one of those players from a team, that team then protected one of its remaining players on its expansion list. Each NFL team could lose no more than 3 players.

Also in the normal draft, the Panthers / Jags alternated the 1st / 2nd pick in each round.

This, due to some really talented front office people / miracles, led to those two teams owning bones and reaching the championship games in their 2nd year. Then they removed the expansion draft portion of it and welp, Texans and Browns.

Of important note is the salary cap was tiny back then, so a whole lot of teams left underperforming mid-upper range paid guys unprotected that the panthers / jags pounced on.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 24, 2011

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
Were Jags and Panthers able to sign FA's and practice squad players before the expansion draft?

i.e.: Did FA proceed the expansion draft as it would the normal draft or what?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Someone called?

I can't speak to the NFL, but the standard college keys for a 7-man crew at the snap look something like this:

Referee: Blindside tackle, plus any other player who blocks as deep or deeper than him.

Umpire: Center and guards.

Field Judge/Side Judge: Widest reciever on your side of the formation.

Back Judge: Inside reciever on the strong side; if the formation is balanced, the inside reciever on the Line Judge's side.

Head Linesman/Line Judge: Any reciever on your side not already taken; if none, any back coming out of the backfield to your side.

R, U and wings have wider responsibility at the snap than just their keys; they're also responsible for false starts, offside, motion, shifts, etc. They'll only tighten on a key once the snap's gone off and they read a pass play. R also has to pick a moment to come off the blocks and get with the passer for forward pass/fumble and QB protection. Wings and deep guys are expected to stick with their key until that player is obviously going out of their assigned zone or the ball is in the air.

If it's not a pass, then the nearside wingman takes forward progress, R and U look for blocks at the point of attack, B and deep wing find second-level blocks, and the backside guys clean up the rest; if it's up the middle then both wingmen will have an eye for progress and the deep wings will both clean up.

Mechanics manuals are typically the long side of 100 pages and not everyone does everything the same way, but that's as close to a potted summary as I can get.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Makarov_ posted:

Were Jags and Panthers able to sign FA's and practice squad players before the expansion draft?

i.e.: Did FA proceed the expansion draft as it would the normal draft or what?

As I recall the expansion draft happened first in February, before free agency started (like a week or two after the Pro Bowl). I don't believe they had any players until then.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kalli posted:

Then they removed the expansion draft portion of it and welp, Texans and Browns.

So how did the Texans and Browns fill their rosters? Just one draft then "good luck with 46 free agents"?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They changed it to 5 players from each team were available for the Browns / Texans, but the increased salary cap and I think they allowed players not on the active roster to be listed, leading to a gigantic pile of poo poo for those two teams to pick from.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

By the way, the new NCAA rulebook just got released. Maybe I'll do another "let's learn the rules" thread.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR11.pdf (pdf!)

Mansfield
Feb 21, 2005
will never be able to kill the Grimace
I feel like I know the answer to this before I ask it but, is there any place online that has an archive of complete games from previous seasons? I found the 'game rewind' thing on NFL.com, but I'm not super keen on giving them my money at this point.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Has anyone done a few of the "these are the standard prototypes for various skill positions and classic examples"? Possession receiver vs. deep threat, pure passer vs. Vick etc.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

Its Miller Time posted:

Has anyone done a few of the "these are the standard prototypes for various skill positions and classic examples"? Possession receiver vs. deep threat, pure passer vs. Vick etc.

I'll give it a shot.

Pure passers - think Brady, Brees or Manning. Very dependant on timing. Often throw intermediate rather than deep passes. Often very aware of the pocket and how long they have to throw, and are good at avoiding a bit of pressure by stepping up or rolling slightly. Usually not good at mobility, though every once in a while they'll run because they have so much room in front of them.

Mobile quarterbacks - think Rogers, McNabb, or Vick. Usually more "throw it up and go get it," than intermediate passes. Often thrive in the WCO, as they have the arm strength to fit the ball into tight windows, only have to make a few reads before they can take off, and benefit from the shorter dropback as they may not have as much of a feel for the pocket collapsing.

Then there are the guys who sort of don't fit into either category, like Roethlisberger - he can scramble, but he also has the strength and awareness to sit in the pocket, avoid sacks forever, and make the intermediate pass plays.

Possession receiver - used to mean something much different than the way it's used today. It used to describe really tall receivers (read: 6'2" to 6'5") that could win jump balls and were easy to pass to, almost like many quarterbacks use Tight Ends nowadays. Usually now when you hear possession receiver people are talking about the very short (think 5'10" or so), speedy receivers. Think Davone Bess, Wes Welker. They're basically receivers that rely on "quickness" as in quick cuts and acceleration, good route running, or size to get open.

Deep threats are usually average to tall in height (read: 6'0), but very very fast. They usually only have to rely on their high top speed to get open. They'll usually run simpler patterns because of this - they want to get to their top speed and use it to their advantage, or act like they're going to use their speed and quickly stop or cut once and catch the ball right there. Think Randy Moss, Roy Williams, or Joey Galloway before he got bad.

The problem is, many wide receivers don't really fit into either category nowadays, as they can do both. Vincent Jackson, Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Greg Jennings - you'll usually hear these guys talked about without using either term, because they're basically both. They have the speed but they also have the quickness.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
To me, possession receiver is a guy who doesn't really have the speed to get separation deep, but who has extremely reliable hands and can catch in traffic.

So that would make Anquan Boldin or Hines Ward the prototypical possession receiver. No one is afraid of those guys burning your cornerback in a straight line, but if you throw the ball to Boldin on a 6-yard in across the middle, he will loving catch it or die trying.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Who was the player who had a heroin addiction but played through withdrawals? That guy was badass.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/XxTopCatxX/0623011149.jpg

I am looking for an ID on this former NY Giants player. Does anyone know who this is? All I know is that his first name MIGHT be Joe, and that he might have been a Runningback in the late 60s, but I really have no idea.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tostito posted:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/XxTopCatxX/0623011149.jpg

I am looking for an ID on this former NY Giants player. Does anyone know who this is? All I know is that his first name MIGHT be Joe, and that he might have been a Runningback in the late 60s, but I really have no idea.

Looks a lot like Freeman White, drafted by the Giants out of Nebraska in '66. Only problem is his name isn't Joe and he was a TE, not a RB.

Eta: It could also be Homer Jones, a wide receiver for the Giants back then, but it looks less like him:

The additional weight and age makes it tough for me to tell. I could be wrong on both counts.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 23, 2011

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
Don't think that's him, I was just re informed that his name is definitely Joe but thats basically all we know. Thanks for the help though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They did have a running back named Joe in the late 60's, but I'm pretty reasonably certain that's not him.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

^^^^Yes, Joe Morrison was a big star for them at the time, and a RB, but also quite white.

Tostito posted:

Don't think that's him, I was just re informed that his name is definitely Joe but thats basically all we know. Thanks for the help though.

The only RB I can find who played for the Giants and wasn't white was Joe Orunda, another Nebraska player. Only he wasn't late '60s: he played for them in '72 and '73:

Might be him, the width of his nose bridge and eyebrows is about right. The scar on his right cheek seems to be missing, though, on your picture.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Morris_%28American_football%29

We got him. Joe Morris. We had the years totally mixed up, turns out he played in the 80s won Super Bowl XXI for the Giants in 1987.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Tactical Grace posted:

Who was the player who had a heroin addiction but played through withdrawals? That guy was badass.

Might be Todd Marinovich. He poo poo his pants while setting the Arena Football touchdown records.

Mansfield
Feb 21, 2005

SonOfDonkeyman posted:

Might be Todd Marinovich. He poo poo his pants while setting the Arena Football touchdown records.

http://www.esquire.com/features/the-game/todd-marinovich-0509

I don't know if this is the particular guy Tactical Grace is looking for, but this a great read anyway and will probably satisfy any cravings you have for stories of hungover football players smoking crack in the locker room before kickoff.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Dominion posted:

To me, possession receiver is a guy who doesn't really have the speed to get separation deep, but who has extremely reliable hands and can catch in traffic.

So that would make Anquan Boldin or Hines Ward the prototypical possession receiver. No one is afraid of those guys burning your cornerback in a straight line, but if you throw the ball to Boldin on a 6-yard in across the middle, he will loving catch it or die trying.

Boldin broke his motherfucking jaw on a pass over the middle. That is a possession receiver.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I followed the lockout when it started, but I have lost track. Can anyone summarize what each side gained and gave up in the agreement? I've seen some stuff on espn but its very scatter shot and, well, corporate bias and all.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I realize nobody here is an NFL coach or coordinator, but when a play is called, is it more to do with what you're trying to accomplish, or trying to anticipate the other side's move? Or, some healthy balance of both?

Mansfield
Feb 21, 2005

Doppelganger posted:

I realize nobody here is an NFL coach or coordinator, but when a play is called, is it more to do with what you're trying to accomplish, or trying to anticipate the other side's move? Or, some healthy balance of both?

Well like you said I'm no coach or coordinator, but I would imagine its some healthy balance of both, with variance in either direction depending on the game situation or the style of the person calling the shots. I would say on defense it probably leans more heavily on guessing what the offense is going to do based on their personnel and formations and calling a play according to that, but I'm only really saying that because it's how I do it in Madden.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Doppelganger posted:

Playcalling is probably the least exact aspect of football. There are tons of factors which might influence an OC/DC. First there's the immediate goal of the offense, converting downs and scoring, and typically (hopefully) an OC will have his core plays which will always result in a successful down if they are executed properly.

Lombardi does a pretty good job of illustrating this concept in this famous video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmtVeqMt6dc&playnext=1&list=PL6167EE951A58B61C#t=1m05s

Outside of this, you have calls which are specifically meant to keep the defense honest. If they are starting to blitz on a regular basis to disrupt 5 step drops, you will call a screen play, because it is the optimal call in this situation, but not a very good call otherwise(probably.) If the linebackers are starting to cheat up in the gaps because your iso plays are picking up yards, you can playaction with a TE delay up the seams. Calling plays of this type depend on what you've seen on film of the other defenses tendencies and what they have done in the game thus far, which leads into the next point.

You should have an idea, from film, of what the opposing coordinator likes to run in certain situations, and you should have feedback from your players and coaches as to what has been happening on the field thus far. All of these things will influence a playcall.

The last major component is game situation. Who has the lead, how much time is remaining, field position, down and distance, weather etc.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Also, some quarterbacks are good enough to audible out of a play at the line into a new one, some younger qbs just get a few audibles or even two plays to call in the huddle (this is all depending on the defense).

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Doppelganger posted:

As much as it's about keeping the other team honest, I remember an offensive coach being quoted as saying he wouldn't call a play if he didn't expect it to be a touchdown. Which would never be the obvious result but it's all mental right?

dermalogic
Dec 21, 2005

The Emperor's gespatcho was too cold, or not cold enough. He can't really remember.
Hey all,

Sorry for the noobish post, but I've been googling for ages with no luck so I thought that this might be the place to ask.

I am an Australian and a huge NFL fan (played a little when I was younger too) and I was am going to be in the US for three weeks around thanksgiving. I would love to see a game or two in NY/DC or Cali on those weekends that I am in town.

The Eagles/Giants game in NJ on 20 November would be ideal, but I have no idea about getting tickets. It seems like I can't buy tickets for the game from a central website and that I can only go through one of the various ticket swap websites? I gather this is because all the tickets are sold to season ticket holders and as such I need to buy tickets from one of those who has made their seats available through one of these services?

I'd prefer to just buy tickets if thats possible, and if it is, which website do I use? If not, and I need to do some swap thing, which websites are the most respected and what should I be looking at for some reasonable seats to a giants game?

Thanks heaps guys, sorry for noobing the place up.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

dermalogic posted:

Hey all,

Sorry for the noobish post, but I've been googling for ages with no luck so I thought that this might be the place to ask.

I am an Australian and a huge NFL fan (played a little when I was younger too) and I was am going to be in the US for three weeks around thanksgiving. I would love to see a game or two in NY/DC or Cali on those weekends that I am in town.

The Eagles/Giants game in NJ on 20 November would be ideal, but I have no idea about getting tickets. It seems like I can't buy tickets for the game from a central website and that I can only go through one of the various ticket swap websites? I gather this is because all the tickets are sold to season ticket holders and as such I need to buy tickets from one of those who has made their seats available through one of these services?

I'd prefer to just buy tickets if thats possible, and if it is, which website do I use? If not, and I need to do some swap thing, which websites are the most respected and what should I be looking at for some reasonable seats to a giants game?

Thanks heaps guys, sorry for noobing the place up.

Try stubhub or ebay. Beware of big markups on both though, stubhub is sometimes decent and sometimes not.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

dermalogic posted:

Hey all,

Stubhub is reliable and will have lots of tickets for each game, but you may end up paying through the nose. Eagles/Giants is going to be a tough ticket to get and will cost you.

You didn't say where in CA you'll be, but I guarantee the Raiders or 49ers will have LOTS of tickets available for any game through their team website, and even Chargers tickets will be easier/cheaper to get than Giants tickets.

Of course, on paper the NYG/PHI game should be great. There's a reason those tickets will be more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dermalogic
Dec 21, 2005

The Emperor's gespatcho was too cold, or not cold enough. He can't really remember.
Thanks heaps for the feedback guys - I'll keep an eye on stubhub and see if I can jag a good seat for the giants game.

The other game I might be able to attend would be STL @ SF on Dec 4. So, given the two options, I think I'd prefer to pay a little more and see Eagles @ Giants, but if there are tickets to the SF game through the website, I might be able to see both.

Thanks again.

• Locked thread