Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Revol posted:

What is the angle of the slope of the cheese piece?

I'm still trying to figure out how to make a clean octagon shape.

Peeron calls it a 31 degree slope brick, but the 1 x 2 version a 33 degree slope. Not sure which is accurate. Or if it's both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Pyroclastic posted:

Peeron calls it a 31 degree slope brick, but the 1 x 2 version a 33 degree slope. Not sure which is accurate. Or if it's both.

Where did Peeron say that? I looked at that page... oh. It's in the title.

Hrm... I don't think 31-33 degrees will work. The interior angle of a regular octagon is 135. If I subtract 90 degrees from that, I get 45. Yeah, the regular slopes are 45 degrees, but addition of the stud behind it ruins everything. I'd have to stack the slopes on each other, and then I'd be getting the small part of the slopes that aren't at an angle messing everything up.

Am I making sense?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Revol posted:

What is the angle of the slope of the cheese piece?

I'm still trying to figure out how to make a clean octagon shape.

I think it's 30 degrees, or very close. It's definitely not 33 degrees because that's what normal 3x1 slopes are. At any rate, they make good hexagonal shapes.

From here.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yeah, Bricklink says it is 30 degrees.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Well I went digging in my attic earlier today to find some paperwork and I found a stash of legos hidden away in a corner. I'll dig through the rest later this weekend but I built this tonight, albeit missing several pieces.

The thing is pretty cool and there's a lot to do with it but it's so drat fragile, especially the center support. However, I was able to add some supporting sets to the hospital.
This

and this.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I finally decided to get my box of lego down and just make some stuff. I've bought a few creator sets in the past few months, including the log cabin and shuttle, but hadn't tried any MOCs. It's been quite a few years since I really 'played'

Firstly, I sorted through everything. Found a lot of rubbish and other junk. Turns out I have far less than I actually thought :(

The lighthouse has also been sitting on my shelf for a while, so I thought I'd make it a proper lighthouse and put it on a cliff:

I think it turned out ok, but I need to play with the waves some more; not quite happy. I also have a few other cliff pieces at work which I'm using as a laptop stand, so I'll get those and make it a bit bigger.

In an attempt to challenge myself, I tried to find the most useless piece in my collection and use it to build something cool. In this case, it was "Vehicle Radiator Grill with Side Headlights" (http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30147)

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and the robot seems to be pretty happy too (well, happy about killing people, so I guess it isn't all that great)

(he has a jetpack! :haw:)

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
On the topic of the Super Hero mini-figs, I'm of the opinion that this Thor I made is a thousand times better than their prototype one.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Thats a pretty good Thor. The face needs a better beard though, everything else is great.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

That's the best one I have. Do you know of any that would fit better?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Officer Farva posted:

That's the best one I have. Do you know of any that would fit better?

This.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Colonial Air Force posted:

This.

Thor has never had his beard braided, it has never been that long, and it has always been blonde.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Girlfriend got me a set of Brickarms guns as an early birthday gift. She then demonstrated the "pew pew" or "bang bang" sound each one made.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Revol posted:

Thor has never had his beard braided, it has never been that long, and it has always been blonde.

Yeah, I have quite a few of those beards. While all of his friends have them, he does not!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
For those not subscribed to Brother Brick, another Flickr gem:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Revol posted:

On the other hand, Thor has been a frog.

I'd see if I could bleach that poo poo, and go from there.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Revol posted:

For those not subscribed to Brother Brick, another Flickr gem:

I think that's part of the post-apocalyptic layout I'm involved with for BrickFair this year. 10x10 baseplates of a flooded city. Should be cool.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
This here is a pretty sweet Serenity:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=479368

It'd be awesome to see a mini-fig scale one, but that would take a pretty huge investment of parts. Maybe someday!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What would be the best way to make a clear cylinder about, say, 6-8 studs wide? I need to have stuff going on the middle of the cylinder, so it has to be hollow. There's this:

But the closest they do it in is transparent blue or smoke, not clear.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

What would be the best way to make a clear cylinder about, say, 6-8 studs wide? I need to have stuff going on the middle of the cylinder, so it has to be hollow. There's this:

Does it need to be entirely clear and smooth? You could make it with 1x2 clear bricks and 1x1 round bricks. The 1x2 clears are pretty easy to get (they make regular appearances in store PABs), but the 1x1 round clears are uncommon (I apparently have exactly one). One store on bricklink has like 2400 of them, though.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

That part in clear is pretty high on my wish list, too. Pyroclasic's suggestion is probably the best way to get a round shape. If it didn't have to be round, you could use 8 of these arranged vertically into an octagon, maybe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pyroclastic posted:

Does it need to be entirely clear and smooth?

That would be ideal, yeah. I want to have things in the centre of it you can see.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Granite Octopus posted:

Had a good laugh at these, brilliant. He just looks so determined.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The_Doctor posted:

I may be crazy but I am 99.9% sure that the Batman Arkham Asylum set came with two of those in clear.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

WaynesWorldGirl posted:

I may be crazy but I am 99.9% sure that the Batman Arkham Asylum set came with two of those in clear.

Peeron tells me they came in Smoke in that set. And TransLtBlue in two other sets.

It won't be perfectly clear, but I think a brick+round wall will be your best option if you actually want clear pieces. There aren't a whole lot of rounded clear pieces. Might give your tube an interesting texture overlaid on what's underneath.
http://www.ericbrok.com/legomind/projects/buildings/curvwall.htm

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Brickset reports sightings of Series 5 in the UK.
If they are legit, it means only a couple weeks 'til they're out in North America.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Flavor Bear posted:

Brickset reports sightings of Series 5 in the UK.
If they are legit, it means only a couple weeks 'til they're out in North America.

They're available for pre-order on Toys R Us' website for $2.99 with a buy one, get one 50% off deal:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11807192

Edit: Turns out you can buy as many as you like but you only get one half-off :( not to mention the cost of shipping.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Pyroclastic posted:

Peeron tells me they came in Smoke in that set. And TransLtBlue in two other sets.

Bricklink says five kits in 'transparent black'. That said, looking at the pictures, that must be the faintest black I've ever seen. If you told me they were clear I'd believe you.

I'd order a couple and see what you think. They're only $0.50 each.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

illcendiary posted:

They're available for pre-order on Toys R Us' website for $2.99 with a buy one, get one 50% off deal:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11807192

I hadn't seen these before. That's a pretty cool set. I'd be happy with most of those. Even the aerobics instructor is goofy enough to be amusing. The exception being another snowboarder. No thanks.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

einTier posted:

Holy crap that is the coolest drat police set I have ever seen.
They keep recycling the same one for the last few years; why don't they re-release that drat mauler car?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

For those of you checking Fred Meyer stores for S5, make sure you check in the Back-to-School seasonal section. I remembered that they originally had some S1 figures in that area, and S5 could show up there. Especially since they have all the Megablok blind-bags, the Hello Kitty blind-bags, and the Zoobles blind-bags over there now, too.

No S5 spotted here yet.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Pyroclastic posted:

Hello Kitty blind-bags

What's that?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

What's that?

When I googled it, it looks like it's more Megablok crap, not something from Sanrio itself.
http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Minifigure-Mystery-RANDOM-Figure/dp/B004MORFO4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1311723392&sr=8-5

Although they do have blind-boxed cell phone charms.

vvvvvvvvvv
Since they just released the Pet Shop, there won't be another modular building for at least another year.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 27, 2011

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I hope they do a realistic police station one day, like the deluxe fire station. I would be all over that.

Speaking of which, what's the news on any further sets like that?

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Flavor Bear posted:

Holy crap that is the coolest drat police set I have ever seen.
They keep recycling the same one for the last few years; why don't they re-release that drat mauler car?

I have this set and you can definitely recognise it as a product of Lego's dark days. A lot of large, single purpose pieces and ugh.. The newer police stations are much better.

The cylinder pieces are definitely smoky black.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Baggy_Brad posted:

Well, I just ordered 4, so we'll see in a few days.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Baggy_Brad posted:

I have this set and you can definitely recognise it as a product of Lego's dark days. A lot of large, single purpose pieces and ugh.. The newer police stations are much better.

Mainly it's the car that I dig.
Even though it's boxy and clunky it's a better looking kind of boxy and clunky than the police vehicles that are around now.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Baggy_Brad posted:

Not that I doubt you, it's just that they must be using some creative photography. Every one of the kits with that piece makes them look like they're just ever-so-slightly tinted if at all.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Got some S5 Minifigs today in the UK, WHSmiths had them and they gave me a voucher where if you spend £15 you get £5 off that you can use next week so I'll probably get some more then. Not sure if that's every Smiths or just mine but thought it would be of interest. Got the tiny clown, boxer and gladiator and the first two are ok with the gladiator being awesome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Well, I just ordered 4, so we'll see in a few days.

Actually, I ordered 2. The guy's store inventory was all up the shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fred Meyer has a 20% off bonus coupon, for my fellow PacNW goons:

http://www.fredmeyer.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Fred_Meyer/PDFs/65023_toy_coupon.pdf