Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god let this start soon, before I spend more time fiddling over my fighter's skills and gear. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god let this start soon, before I spend more time fiddling over my fighter's skills and gear. :smith:

The longer your fiddle with skills and gear the more likely this will be the first line in your fight:

"Your troll was hit in the head by kobold's oak arrow penetrating the adamantine helm crushing the skull and tearing the brain.
Your troll has been struck down." :gibs:

Goatie
Jul 8, 2010
Honestly, I'm not worried at all about how this tournament will go. I know I'm going to win the first round, somehow toughing it out despite going against someone superior, then die almost immediately the second round. It's how it always works with ANY tournament I enter.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I am going to die so fast. Seriously. I am not even going to bet on myself.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
I'm still ummming and ahhing over whether to go nude.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

GreenMarine posted:

Robin Walker the Thrice Damned has entered the lists that he might find a glorious death among the champions of blood!

This is where my money is going.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Shorter Than Some posted:

I'm still ummming and ahhing over whether to go nude.

Pantslessness is traditional

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Can we get the new raws? :ohdear:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Hoping to get in on the Battle Royale, just need my registration e-mail and I can get started.

Got my build figured out, I just hope my pro-decision to do no testing pays off.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Hoping to get in on the Battle Royale, just need my registration e-mail and I can get started.

Got my build figured out, I just hope my pro-decision to do no testing pays off.

Those who test are cursed by Armok and the RNG.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Just an FYI incase you missed it, you've gotta email Vox for the battle royale:

RickVoid posted:

Vox Nihili posted:

To those who didn't make the first 127, you can still get in on the action! Design a fighter manually and email it to me at iamvoxnihili (at) gmail.com! Your champion will be entered in the always-exciting pre-tournament battle royale, and if you win the event you will be admitted in the 128th slot. You'll have to do some math yourself, but that's how we all did it back in the first couple tournaments. Please use the following format:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dirty Frank posted:

Just an FYI incase you missed it, you've gotta email Vox for the battle royale:

Thank you my good man. Battle Royale entry sent, Gladiator Dies Horribly ready to... welp.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Looking forward to when gladiator Gladiator Dies Horribly dies horribly

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Boing posted:

Looking forward to when gladiator Gladiator Dies Horribly dies horribly

He's actually just Dies Horribly, but I really should have made him be Gladiator Dies Horribly. Ah well.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Gremlin 1 bashes Dies Horribly in the head with his tin wiffle bat, smashing the skull and pushing the skull through the brain!

Dies Horribly dies horribly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Given the way DF phrases things, there really should be a gladiator named the motion or the bill.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...

Gildiss posted:

Those who test are cursed by Armok and the RNG.

That's why I haven't taken a look at my fighter since I bought equipment for her! I'm really hoping this strategy works out!

Orv
May 4, 2011
You know, I've never really considered the issue until now, but it's a good thing DF doesn't model ones junk, as in the great tradition of the arena, I have leather armor and boots. . .and that's it.

I'm going to go wince in sympathy for a few hours.

V - A loin cloth isn't going to do much against a battleaxe either way you. . .slice it. :gonk:

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 26, 2011

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I prefer to think of it as they are wearing at least a loincloth underneath, and some kind of sports bra for the female gladiators.

But then I consider actual Roman Gladiators...and I don't think they actually wore anything into battle most of the time, with the exception of armor if they were given armor.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Orv posted:

You know, I've never really considered the issue until now, but it's a good thing DF doesn't model ones junk, as in the great tradition of the arena, I have leather armor and boots. . .and that's it.

That's for the best.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

That's for the best.

:barf:. . .:suicide:

I'd say forget I ever said anything, but it's already on the internet.

Moving swiftly along!

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Wait, am I to late to apply to enter the tournament?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Suran37 posted:

Email Vox Nihili with a build at iamvoxnihili (at) gmail.com

You're in time for a battle royale, with several gladiators having a last-man-standing match for the last regular spot in the tournament. But if I were you, I wouldn't delay too much in getting the build in; Vox hasn't given a hard deadline, but it could be pretty much any time now.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Suran37 posted:

How lucky are you feeling?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
For any other late-comers, when e-mailing a build for the Battle Royale to Vox Nihili, please send it to him in the following format:
-----------

Name: Example Man
User: Vox Nihili
Race: Human

Skills
Sword Level 5 (450)
Fighting Level 4 (150)

600 points spent on skills, 600 remaining

Equipment
Weapon(s):
Steel Long Sword (550)
Armor:
Copper Helm (50)

0 points left

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I've got 5 or so entrants for the battle royale at this point. I hope to run it as soon as possible, but I do have some social obligations tonight and important errands to run tomorrow afternoon, so we're looking at tomorrow night (pacific time) for the battle royale event! Until then, any newcomers may still enter, and current entrants may modify their builds! I should have the new raws up in a couple hours, and I was definitely not wasting any free time earlier today playing starcraft.

Keep finalizing your builds for the tournament proper on the arena website- we won't be able to start the main event until after we both complete the battle royale and get every single combatant built up.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 26, 2011

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'll assign points to Smatru once I can find a kobold build that can even scratch the most basic of human builds.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Iunnrais posted:

I'll assign points to Smatru once I can find a kobold build that can even scratch the most basic of human builds.

There's always the classic "bowbold" build if you want to just cop-out on it. ;)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

There's always the classic "bowbold" build if you want to just cop-out on it. ;)

:argh: I killed dozens of bowbolds in my testing! I will prove it's not just a cop-out!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: BATTLE ROYALE BETTING :siren:

The good news: When Vox is ready to run the Battle Royale, we WILL allow betting on the Battle Royale match!

The bad news: Although the website can be used for betting, I didn't have time to implement betting on Battle Royale type matches; I only implemented betting for one-on-one matches. This means that Battle Royale bets will have to be placed in this thread, and your funds on the site will be updated to reflect whether you win or lose.

The news that could be interpreted as either good or bad, depending on your circumstances: As you know, a Battle Royale match has many fighters and only one winner. This means that the vast majority of bettors will lose their bets on the Battle Royale match. However, for those bettors who are able to pick the winner, they can almost certainly expect that the payout ratios will be much higher. A small bet could pay out 10 to 1, or more!

Some other notes regarding betting:
  • The Battle Royale gambling window will be opened as soon as Vox closes sign-ups for the Battle Royale. I do not know how long Vox will keep the betting window open before he runs the Battle Royale, but in the past he has generally allowed at least 24 hours.

• Everyone (including those not participating in the tournament!) will receive 1000 currency units (conventionally referred to as Dorfbux) to bet with as they wish.

• You are not obligated to place a bet on any match, as betting is entirely optional. However, if you bet everything on yourself every round, and then proceed to win every match, you will win both the betting championship and the tournament championship, as Bene Elim demonstrated in the previous tournament. (Note that this particular strategy only works if you actually do win every match, otherwise, you lose all of your money as well.)

• If you do place a bet, you will lose whatever you bet if the fighter you bet on loses, and you will gain your share of the pot if the fighter you bet on is victorious. The "pot" is the full sum of all dorfbux bet on that particular match, and your share of the pot is determined by the amount of your winning bet divided by the sum total of all winning bets.

• You will receive a special bonus of 100 dorfbux when your fighter wins a tournament match, and a special bonus of 10 dorfbux when your fighter competes in a tournament match but does not win.

• Whoever finishes the tournament with the most dorfbux can expect to receive a special upgrade for their fighter in the next tournament; one that provides a slight advantage, but nothing game-breaking.

• If you win a bet, your newly-won funds will not be available until the next round. The Battle Royale counts as its own round for these purposes. There will be eight rounds total in this tournament (seven tournament rounds, plus the Battle Royale).
Good luck to all! :black101:

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 27, 2011

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

With that in mind, did you need me to run the betting for the battle royal round, like before?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

With that in mind, did you need me to run the betting for the battle royal round, like before?

It's not NEEDED, but if you're VOLUNTEERING... :D

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Allow me to lead off the betting with 1000 DB on Dies Horribly, Battle Royale.

Let me know if I need to fix the formatting for this bet.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 27, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

RickVoid posted:

Allow me to lead off the betting with 1000 DB on Die's Horribly, Battle Royale.

I'll make sure that Bad Munki receives your bet, as (I think?) he has magnanimously volunteered to track the betting for the Battle Royale round. Otherwise, I'll track the bets.

And seeing as how the Battle Royale gladiators have not been announced yet, I'm guessing you've bet it all on yourself! This will pay off handsomely if you win, and it will certainly make for an interesting round of betting even if you don't, seeing as the pot has already been generously seeded!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Battle Royale, Krysmphoenix, Whichever Gladiator is a Kobold, 200.

If there are multiple Kobolds, split it evenly please. Go Team Kobold! :black101:

RickVoid posted:

Bad Munki's preferred format is this:
Match ID (Battle Royale for now I guess), your username, Gladiator your are betting on, bet amount.
So your bet is Battle Royale, RickVoid, Die's Horribly, 1000.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 27, 2011

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Have you already built your fighter using the site? Then, if you want to test your build more efficiently, you may be wondering...

How do fighter macros work?

It's been said that testing your fighter's build is for chumps. If you agree with this, do not read this post any further.

From either the Manage Fighter or View Fighter pages for a fighter that you own, there should be a link that says Download this fighter's macro. Note that you cannot download a macro for a fighter you do not own! You're welcome to try it, but it won't work.

But anyway, click the "Download this fighter's macro" link. The .MAK file you download should be placed in your DwarfFortress/data/init/macros folder.

In order to use the macros generated by the site, from the main screen after loading Dwarf Fortress, you must first select Object Testing Arena.

In the arena, press k for the Look Around / Create menu. Once there, press c to create a creature.

From there, you will have to select your fighter's race, gender, and team manually. SINCE THIS TOURNAMENT CONSISTS OF ONE-ON-ONE MATCHES AND NOT TEAM MATCHES, JUST LEAVE THE TEAM SETTING THE WAY IT IS ("INDEPENDENT").

The reason you must select your fighter's race and gender (and perhaps team, if we implement team matches in a future tournament) is that there is no way to "reset" the choice of race, gender, or team from this menu, and because of the way that DF macros work at the moment, a macro would already have to "know" where the cursor is in order in order to set those values reliably regardless of where the cursor already is. Since there is currently no way that the macro can know where the cursor is when you create a fighter, I've designed things such that macros will only create the skills and items for a created character, and they will only do this only from the Create a Creature screen.

So anyway, after selecting your fighter's race, gender, and team, press Ctrl-L to load your macro, then Ctrl-P to run it. Sit back and watch as your fighter's skills and items are created. This might not save all that much time the first time you do it, but after running a half dozen or more fights, then you just might come to appreciate this feature.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 27, 2011

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Putting all my money on myself was pretty risky, but I'm hoping my Gladiator can cause a few upsets.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I've created #arenachallenge on irc.synirc.net.

Come hang out, chat and try to decide whether or not you want to tell the competition about your cool build idea.

e: Don't join and then leave if nobody's talking! It's a young channel.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 27, 2011

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Any update on the new raws, Vox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatie
Jul 8, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

e: Don't join and then leave if nobody's talking! It's a young channel.

Well it doesn't seem all that impressive to say you 'created' a channel when it's not registered.

• Locked thread