Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Yannick_B posted:

Paul F Tompkins is currently doing shows all week here in Montreal for Just For Laughs. Its a show about the different jobs he had during his life and his ongoing quest to not getting yelled at. I've seen it last night and it was so good--laughed all the way through, anyone should check it out if they're in the area, or area-adjacent!

More importantly, so is Greg Proops.

Yeah. I went there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Yannick_B posted:

Paul F Tompkins is currently doing shows all week here in Montreal for Just For Laughs. Its a show about the different jobs he had during his life and his ongoing quest to not getting yelled at. I've seen it last night and it was so good--laughed all the way through, anyone should check it out if they're in the area, or area-adjacent!

This was basically the set him did at the Tompkins 300 show in St. Louis, and it was incredible.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Michael Ian Black seriously had a 20 minute story about his fictional past with Ian McShane.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

King Lou posted:

Just got back from the 9pm WTF show. It was loving amazing. 2.5 hours of show. Everyone was great but Scott Adsit from 30 Rock was killer. So quick. Seth Meyers was good, too. loving amazing time for $10!

Awesome. I've seen Scott Adsit do improv at UCB, and he is incredible.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

substitute posted:

Awesome. I've seen Scott Adsit do improv at UCB, and he is incredible.

When is a good time to go see popular comedians at UCB? I check the schedule on their website and I see a lot of productions with unknowns but last time I checked I didn't see anything for any of the more well knowns but I know they always have shows there. Is there a specific day thats best for catching those comedians or do you happen to know if theres a centralized LA comedy schedule?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The comedy bang bang show on Tuesdays. It's not the podcast, it's just 2 hours of comedy, mostly standup but occasionally a bit of sketch or something else. Lots of awesome comedians show up there unannounced to work on new stuff.

We were just talking about it in the LA thread - better buy tickets as soon as they go on sale, Friday at noon.

Also, the Assscat show on Sundays has a random celebrity do a monologue every week. And any of the game show shows will have a ton of cool guests. (Not sure if they're still doing those game show shows. Haven't been to one in a while.)

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
But my favorite UCB show doesn't have anyone who's really broken through, even into the comedy podcast world. Convoy on Thursday nights is an amazing improv group. Even if you're not sold on improv in general, give them a shot.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Teepkick Shakur posted:

do you happen to know if theres a centralized LA comedy schedule?

http://www.earwolf.com/on-tour/?zipcode=90210&distance=10&showsubmit=Search&page=1

(obviously incomplete but contains a lot of UCB shows)

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Man, this latest CBB was really weak, I thought. I couldn't tell who the hell was talking unless it was Scott or Ken Marino.

Also a show without some Character coming on is isn't a CBB for me. There were a couple of funny parts but not great.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, it seemed like they just wanted to talk about their projects and weren't really into doing any improv on the show. I think that having a character on the show really helps everyone else in the room play off whatever they're doing and without that they'll just fall back into interview mode.

David Wain was really good with the freestyle rap though.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I felt like it was a pretty weak episode too but I like those guys enough that I still enjoyed it. David Wain was trying his damndest to get something going, but with Marino bailing on bits (which ended up being the funniest thing he did all episode), and Paul Rudd being... just... boring, it never panned out. Once they figured out Would You Rather I had a few laughs.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

King Lou posted:

Man, this latest CBB was really weak, I thought. I couldn't tell who the hell was talking unless it was Scott or Ken Marino.

Also a show without some Character coming on is isn't a CBB for me. There were a couple of funny parts but not great.

Agreed. I pretty much listen to Comedy Death Bang for maximum silly insanity. I have no interest when the real world breaks through. I don't mind plugs: it's the interview portion at the beginning that usually bores me.

It's actually been a bit of a streak of bad episodes, broken up by the Seth Morris episode a few back.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

King Lou posted:

Yea I was confused by the voices too, I still enjoyed a lot of it though.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Alright then. We have a consensus.

Next order of business: Tig Nataro

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
god dammit Lou

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Anyone else kind of disappointed by the Lavender Hour? I expected it to be funny, because Duncan and Natasha are both really funny stand-ups, but so far it's a lot of crap about how America sucks and being vegan is great.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Binowru posted:

Anyone else kind of disappointed by the Lavender Hour? I expected it to be funny, because Duncan and Natasha are both really funny stand-ups, but so far it's a lot of crap about how America sucks and being vegan is great.

Lavender Hour is one of my favourites. Lately Duncan has been on a bit of a USA rant, but he always puts in good jokes, and what he says is interesting.

Start at the beginning if you don't want the USA rants, but don't expect the usual comedy podcast. It's more about their interest in religion/spirituality and alternate ways of thinking.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

-Atom- posted:

Michael Ian Black seriously had a 20 minute story about his fictional past with Ian McShane.

That show's so drat great, it's hard to believe it doesn't get more discussion here

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

WoG posted:

That show's so drat great, it's hard to believe it doesn't get more discussion here

Which show is that? I didn't even realize he had a podcast.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Creflo Chronicle posted:

Which show is that? I didn't even realize he had a podcast.

Mike and Tom Eat Snacks

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The pHo posted:

No, that was great. Glad to hear that the film is just as accessible in foreign markets as well as domestic.

Thanks, mate! :) Although be reminded that middle-America isn't usually as savvy (I said USUALLY, I'm not generalizing. I lived in and loved Wisconsin) as the more metropolitan coastal cities. I too hope he makes some money on the film. Also, Edgar Wright is a badass.

Might sound sappy, but I really do appreciate these interactions. When I was a kid, the chances of me discussing a foreign film with someone living in the country of origin was almost nil. :corsair:

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Binowru posted:

I essentially only know Duncan from "Drunk History" and Rogan's/DEATHSQUAD's podcasts, with some other appearances sprinkled in. I haven't really heard his stand up.

In my mind I think of him more as a "bizarre thinker/weird spiritualist" than a comedian. But, that is to say, I like him generally.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Yannick_B posted:

There's a lot of podcast notables there this week, very excited to see some shows. Tosh, Hardwick, the Tribute To Nerds, Ari Shaffir, Paul F. Tompkins, the alternative comedy show, and Marc Maron are all on my itinerary - sad to miss Bamford, Louis CK, Eugene Mirman, Weird Al, Garfunkel and Oates, and Reggie Watts.

Wish CDR and NNF would make a trip up north, and not just Vancouver but the Montreal/Toronto corridor.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SKULE123 posted:

There's a lot of podcast notables there this week, very excited to see some shows. Tosh, Hardwick, the Tribute To Nerds, Ari Shaffir, Paul F. Tompkins, the alternative comedy show, and Marc Maron are all on my itinerary - sad to miss Bamford, Louis CK, Eugene Mirman, Weird Al, Garfunkel and Oates, and Reggie Watts.

Wish CDR and NNF would make a trip up north, and not just Vancouver but the Montreal/Toronto corridor.

Your sad to miss list would be my itinerary, just swap Reggie for PFT.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

ElCondemn posted:

Your sad to miss list would be my itinerary, just swap Reggie for PFT.

Tell me about it - I'm overseas until Thursday night, by which time a bunch of those will have finished their runs. Also, shows were announced in multiple waves (Just For Laughs versus ZooFest), so even for the shows I could have made, I bought tickets to other shows before realizing those other performers would be there.

Lessons learned for next year's ticket buy.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

The Capm posted:

Agreed. I pretty much listen to Comedy Death Bang for maximum silly insanity. I have no interest when the real world breaks through. I don't mind plugs: it's the interview portion at the beginning that usually bores me.

It's actually been a bit of a streak of bad episodes, broken up by the Seth Morris episode a few back.

I thought the freestyle rap thing was pretty funny, but yeah I agree the last few episodes are missing the usual pun/absurdity.

On the flipside, Who Charted? has been getting better and better. Today's episode with Odenkirk kind of starts slow but listening to him poo poo all over the movie charts was great.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Transfatuation posted:

This week's My Brother, My Brother and Me went loving bonkers. Holy god.

Seriously. I thought the episode was pretty slower than usual, but then....holy poo poo.

Also listen to Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, people.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

SKULE123 posted:

Bill Burr is there too, screening his short film "Cheat" that he made with Joe DeRosa and Bobby Kelly.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What is the ideal Doug Loves Movies guest line up?

I'd put Lithgow up there, obviously. And after that one show, Michael Rooker if he hasn't exploded from crazy yet. Any good ideas for a third? I would say Jimmy Pardo, but he was already on a show with Lithgow.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Capsaicin posted:

I'd put Lithgow up there, obviously. And after that one show, Michael Rooker if he hasn't exploded from crazy yet. Any good ideas for a third? I would say Jimmy Pardo, but he was already on a show with Lithgow.

Some of the best chemistry comes from combinations you'd never expect, but I'd kind of like to see an episode with some real film critics, like David Chen of the Slash Filmcast, one of the folks from the AV podcast, and maybe Gene Shalit if he's still sharp.

Crazy dream lineup: Jon Lovitz playing as Jay Sherman, Hank Azaria playing as Comic Book Guy, and Billy West playing as Fry. In an episode dedicated to Troy McClure.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Capsaicin posted:

TJ Miller can make any lineup hilarious.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Yannick_B posted:

Spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to know PFT's closing joke:

I saw the same show at the Melbourne Comedy Festival in April and thought it was fantastic but I was really disappointed at his closing story (about yelling at Weird Al Yankovic and then realising they had never met before) because I had heard him tell the exact same story almost word for word on a podcast (possibly the Nerdist) a few months beforehand.

This meant that the whole momentum of the show was ruined for me because I knew what the big punchline was going to be and also when he was on the podcast he was doing a bit rather than just telling a genuine story.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

cyberia posted:

Spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to know PFT's closing joke:

I saw the same show at the Melbourne Comedy Festival in April and thought it was fantastic but I was really disappointed at his closing story (about yelling at Weird Al Yankovic and then realising they had never met before) because I had heard him tell the exact same story almost word for word on a podcast (possibly the Nerdist) a few months beforehand.

This meant that the whole momentum of the show was ruined for me because I knew what the big punchline was going to be and also when he was on the podcast he was doing a bit rather than just telling a genuine story.

It was a genuine story that turned in to a bit. A comedian can't have original material every time he performs...

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Capsaicin posted:

TJ Miller. He is awesome.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
WHAT IS HYAPPENING

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Edgar Wright is one of my favorites, because he takes the Leonard Maltin game so seriously. And because he actually talks about movies. I like the movie talk.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Also Adam Scott or Jon Hamm. I also like Chris Hardwick because he's so good at the Leonard Maltin game.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

Capsaicin posted:

TJ Miller, Tom Lennon, Lil Wolverine.

I just want TJ and Tom to take the piss out of L Dubya for 45 minutes.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

benito posted:

maybe Gene Shalit if he's still sharp.

I think you just found Paul F. Tompkins' next character. It's the role he was born to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Now I'm just thinking of ridiculous movie-industry personalities, and I kind of want Peter Bogdanovich to make an appearance. Quentin Tarantino also seems like a natural podcast guest.

• Locked thread