Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
california is balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

hypocrite lecteur posted:

california is balls

California sucks. No jobs. No civil rights.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

nm posted:

California sucks. No jobs. No civil rights.

This is no bullshit. If I were the kind to give a gently caress, I could have a field day with the ACLU. I noticed no fewer than ten Civil Rights violations at Twin Towers in less than two days. From calling inmates "human being", "motherfucker", "friend of the family" and "peckerwood", to insinuating harm, to racial comments, to gang instigation, to pushing and/or unnecessary physical contact with inmates, to lack of hygiene supplies, denial of access to mail, to denial of "basic inmate accommodations" to inmates not under disciplinary or protective care.

(And PS, I appreciate all the time you've put into my questions and will be compiling "my" thoughts into an email I'm sending to a couple well recommended attorneys.)

(And no, at no time did I admit to driving, it was "inferred" that I was driving by my use of AAA. And I can produce the driver, if I can assure them that their admission that I was not the driver and they were would not cause them to be charged with DUI).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Jesus christ family law is awful. Yo if your lawyer starts disagreeing with you on things like "hmm maybe this child's father should get to see him overnight occasionally??" it's not because he's a bad lawyer but because you're probably wrong just fyi

Also yes he has the right to dribble some water onto the kid's forehead without your permission sorry if this bothers you maybe get your rich daddy to buy a second legal opinion but I have a feeling it won't be different

quote:

Also if your attitude going in is "I'm financially well-off enough to litigate this as long as is necessary" everyone involved including your child is going to hate your loving guts by the end of it

This.

When you admit that you have a big pot of money that you'd rather spend on lawyers fees to gently caress over the father rather than just spend it on your child it's no wonder every meeting "turns into 50 questions about why I'm such an uppity bitch and can't I see what a terrible person I am".

Family litigation is like any other litigation: either you settle or your life gets very miserable very quickly. You made a baby with someone. Get over the fact that you are going to have to share some of the responsibility for that baby with that person. That means giving way on some things.

Also at 21 months old he's ready to be weaned off breastmilk, that's not a reasonable excuse anymore.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alchenar posted:

This.

When you admit that you have a big pot of money that you'd rather spend on lawyers fees to gently caress over the father rather than just spend it on your child it's no wonder every meeting "turns into 50 questions about why I'm such an uppity bitch and can't I see what a terrible person I am".

Family litigation is like any other litigation: either you settle or your life gets very miserable very quickly. You made a baby with someone. Get over the fact that you are going to have to share some of the responsibility for that baby with that person. That means giving way on some things.

Also at 21 months old he's ready to be weaned off breastmilk, that's not a reasonable excuse anymore.

I disagree with the reactions of the other goons. According to her facts, this guy gets 25-40 hours a week with his kid (see her comment about 5-8 hrs, 5 times a week) and he is refusing to pay child support.

Furthermore, he lives in a multiple-person dwelling with non-family roommates.

Furthermore, he opts to leave the child with his roommates rather than in childcare, which is awful bc at least childcare services are licensed and whatnot.

Seriously, gently caress that guy. (assuming those facts are true, we only get her side of the story)

Seriously, gently caress that guy.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's pretty telling when somebody tells their side of the story and still comes off like the bad guy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Alchenar posted:

This.

WHO recommends breast feeding for the first 2 years of life.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Alterian posted:

WHO recommends breast feeding for the first 2 years of life.

That's not quite true. What they actually say is exclusively breastfeed for the first 6 months, and from then on gradually weaned off.

Bear in mind also that this advice is based on the fact that the vast majority of the world's population don't have access to adequate nutrition.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Bike specific legal problem, not sure if anyone would know.

My girlfriend was biking to work today (Boston, Massachusetts) in a bike lane. Someone opened their driver side door directly in front of her, and to avoid getting doored she swerved into the car lane. When she swerved into the lane, she bumped a car driving by and caused a small scratch.

The owner of the car stopped, got out and called the cops as well as took her info. The cops showed up, made sure no one was hurt and then left saying they didn't care. The cop didn't file a police report.

The owner of the car wants my GF to pay the repair damage for the scratch. Is she liable? I know in Massachusetts it is illegal to open your driver's door if a biker is near, and it is illegal to overtake a biker if there is not sufficient room. But is she still liable for damage since she was the one that swerved (even though not swerving would have meant getting doored?)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

polyfractal posted:

Bike specific legal problem, not sure if anyone would know.

My girlfriend was biking to work today (Boston, Massachusetts) in a bike lane. Someone opened their driver side door directly in front of her, and to avoid getting doored she swerved into the car lane. When she swerved into the lane, she bumped a car driving by and caused a small scratch.

The owner of the car stopped, got out and called the cops as well as took her info. The cops showed up, made sure no one was hurt and then left saying they didn't care. The cop didn't file a police report.

The owner of the car wants my GF to pay the repair damage for the scratch. Is she liable? I know in Massachusetts it is illegal to open your driver's door if a biker is near, and it is illegal to overtake a biker if there is not sufficient room. But is she still liable for damage since she was the one that swerved (even though not swerving would have meant getting doored?)

Common law answer: if the damage is caused by an 'inevitable accident' then you aren't responsible for it.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Alchenar posted:

Common law answer: if the damage is caused by an 'inevitable accident' then you aren't responsible for it.

Ok, thanks. Two more questions:

-She should go to the police station and file a report ASAP, correct?

-If the guy calls her up and demands she pay the bill, what do we do? Inform him that she isn't responsible and see if he hires an attorney? Threaten to hire an attorney ourselves?

Edit: I'm sure the damages will only be a few hundred - it was just a bike after all, it couldn't have made that big of a scratch. But still, we are poor young people and a few hundred is a lot of money to us. We bike because we don't own a car :)

polyfractal fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 25, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

polyfractal posted:

Ok, thanks. Two more questions:

-She should go to the police station and file a report ASAP, correct?

-If the guy calls her up and demands she pay the bill, what do we do? Inform him that she isn't responsible and see if he hires an attorney? Threaten to hire an attorney ourselves?

Edit: I'm sure the damages will only be a few hundred - it was just a bike after all, it couldn't have made that big of a scratch. But still, we are poor young people and a few hundred is a lot of money to us. We bike because we don't own a car :)
Do you have renters/homeowner's insurance? You should call them as they will cover this if you are at fault and will fight it for you if you aren't.
Also, you have the info of the guy who opened the door, I'm assuming? That is who should be paying.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
Question about Texas law here.

In the state I'm from (IL) the rules of the road state that at a four way stop, the first person to stop has the right of way. I thought that was pretty much a universal rule, but I looked up Texas law and it said that right of way is determined by the drivers.

That makes little sense to me, but today I almost got in a wreck because I was the first person at the intersection to have stopped, and as I turned left through the intersection another car almost hit me. I was feeling pretty self righteous thinking they would have been screwed but now I'm not so sure. Would I have been at fault in this case?

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
What is the legality of selling gambling strategies in the United States (Florida)? What if you know the strategy is flawed or make false claims about its supposed performance? What if you make misleading but not false claims or make true claims in a misleading way?

I'm referring to all the gambling strategy scams you see online. They range from statements as bold and false as "Guaranteed-to-profit roulette strategy" to as true but misleading as "Increase your chances of winning at craps." Are they legal to sell?

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003
I can certainly use some advice on being a Father in trying to win custody (primary/joint) of my 4 year old son in Illinois.

I know the system is slanted towards the mother, and thus far I've been fortunate that she has been willing to agree freely to a '50/50' arrangement where we each have exactly equal time with our son. Nothing reported to courts, no child support, we just swap 'custody' every week and it's worked well for us.

However, with our son just about to turn 4, he needs to be in a regular day-care/pre-school in preparation for Kindergarten, and we live too far away from each other to share the same school.

As a result, a war is brewing. Even though we both still value and believe in joint custody, one of us will have to be the primary custodial parent so that he can live with that person and attend school a regular 5 days a week. We both want to be that parent.

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
If your apartment lease says you cannot have guests spend the night without prior written authorization, is it enforceable/legal? I'm in Boston, if it helps.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Krono99 posted:

I can certainly use some advice on being a Father in trying to win custody (primary/joint) of my 4 year old son in Illinois.

I know the system is slanted towards the mother, and thus far I've been fortunate that she has been willing to agree freely to a '50/50' arrangement where we each have exactly equal time with our son. Nothing reported to courts, no child support, we just swap 'custody' every week and it's worked well for us.

However, with our son just about to turn 4, he needs to be in a regular day-care/pre-school in preparation for Kindergarten, and we live too far away from each other to share the same school.

As a result, a war is brewing. Even though we both still value and believe in joint custody, one of us will have to be the primary custodial parent so that he can live with that person and attend school a regular 5 days a week. We both want to be that parent.

Give in, in exchange for generous weekend and holiday rights.

It might be a bitter pill to swallow now but if 'a war is brewing' over this (which it always does) then you need to do whatever it takes to avoid that. In the long run you will just be happier.

e: seriously, it sounds like you are both reasonable people. You will end up in a far better place if you just give way on this and maintain an amicable relationship with the mother than you will if you poison your relationship with the other significant person in your son's life.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Tojai posted:

Question about Texas law here.

In the state I'm from (IL) the rules of the road state that at a four way stop, the first person to stop has the right of way. I thought that was pretty much a universal rule, but I looked up Texas law and it said that right of way is determined by the drivers.

That makes little sense to me, but today I almost got in a wreck because I was the first person at the intersection to have stopped, and as I turned left through the intersection another car almost hit me. I was feeling pretty self righteous thinking they would have been screwed but now I'm not so sure. Would I have been at fault in this case?

You would be in the right so long as you had yielded to traffic already in the intersection and then proceeded safely and the other guy didn't.

Actually, Texas' law and Illinois' law are pretty much identical:

TX: "After stopping ... [the driver] shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle that has entered the intersection from another highway
IL:"After having stopped, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the intersection from another roadway"

That's as close as either state gets to codifying the kindergarden concept of "take turns*." Yes, it applies in Texas. The other guy either made a mistake or is a jerk.

*The Illinois Driver's Manual says to take turns, but the manual isn't the law.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong

joat mon posted:

You would be in the right so long as you had yielded to traffic already in the intersection and then proceeded safely and the other guy didn't.

Actually, Texas' law and Illinois' law are pretty much identical:

TX: "After stopping ... [the driver] shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle that has entered the intersection from another highway
IL:"After having stopped, the driver shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the intersection from another roadway"

That's as close as either state gets to codifying the kindergarden concept of "take turns*." Yes, it applies in Texas. The other guy either made a mistake or is a jerk.

*The Illinois Driver's Manual says to take turns, but the manual isn't the law.

Huh I guess I remember my driver's ed wrongly then.

I think the other guy was somewhat of a jerk, but I was turning left so that may have been why he decided to "jump the line."

Krono99
Dec 5, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Give in, in exchange for generous weekend and holiday rights.

It might be a bitter pill to swallow now but if 'a war is brewing' over this (which it always does) then you need to do whatever it takes to avoid that. In the long run you will just be happier.

e: seriously, it sounds like you are both reasonable people. You will end up in a far better place if you just give way on this and maintain an amicable relationship with the mother than you will if you poison your relationship with the other significant person in your son's life.

I appreciate the sentiment but I've considered this course of action and decided that the 'weekends only' type parent is a last resort.

You're right there can be alot of other negative side effects in the future from 'battling' it out now, but please understand my position here.

I'm not looking to gain primary custody just randomly, or because I think it would be fun. I truly feel that my sons best interests are served in my household better than my ex's. For instance, I have a career that allows me to spend more time with him than she can during the week, I have a tendency to place a much greater emphasis on education, reading, and learning than my ex, and my son has more personal space here than he does there.

Here he has his own room, his own common areas of the house, and more 'room to grow' so to speak. In the other house, he has to share a bedroom with a 9 year old from another broken relationship that's there half the time.

I actually place alot of value and importance on regular reading, studying flash cards, learning new words, being exposed to a more adult vocabulary, and I just think his long term outlook will be much healthier in my home than it would be in hers. This is not a decision I take lightly, and not something I'm jumping into half-heartedly. Not to mention, my ex isn't extremely intelligent, and her now fiance that she lives with is inexplicably even less intelligent. Morons beget morons, etc...

I truly believe my home environment would serve my son much better in the long term than the alternative.

Krono99 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 26, 2011

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
UK legal question here:

I've recently left rented student accommodation, and the agency that we were renting from refused to give us back our deposit based on a number of charges they wanted to make. The ones causing me concern are Ł188 for contract cleaning, and Ł262.40 for the water bill.

They sent a number of pictures of various bits of dust (these were taken after almost a month after leaving the property, so dust will have accumulated despite our best efforts), a few small cleaning items left in cupboards, some plastic bags on top of the kitchen cupboards, a freezer that was switched off and left to defrost (I was using it to store food until I left, so I couldn't exactly switch it off beforehand) and a cable modem we didn't have the tools to remove.

Whilst I can understand that they may want to make a small charge to remove the items, Ł188 seems incredibly excessive for cleaning. Can anyone comment on whether it's worth disputing this?

The second point is that they want to charge us for the water bill through our deposit. I checked the tenancy agreement, and I can indeed see that this was specified when we signed it, however I was under the impression that landlords cannot legally charge bills and use the tenancy deposit to pay them off, as this must either be included in the agreed rent, or the tenant should be allowed to deal with the utility company directly, so that they are entering an agreement with the utility provider and are provided with original copies of the utility bills.

I'm pretty sure the law was changed to this, or something similar to this, in order to protect the security deposits of tenants, 2 or 3 years ago, alongside similar laws stating that deposits need to be kept in a dedicated bank account to prevent them from being used for other charges. As such, is it legal for our landlord to have included this in their contract, and is it legal for them to be charging us this now? If not, what specific Acts should I be quoting here?

Guidos Python
Sep 7, 2009
California Law question here

I have a corrective lens restriction on my drivers license and I always do keep my glasses on when I am driving, my main problem is dealing with the glares that come around sun down, Is it legal to wear a pair on non prescription sunglasses over prescription glasses? Or should I look into some type of filter so i can safely drive at sundown.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rohaq posted:

UK legal question here:

I've recently left rented student accommodation, and the agency that we were renting from refused to give us back our deposit based on a number of charges they wanted to make. The ones causing me concern are Ł188 for contract cleaning, and Ł262.40 for the water bill.

They sent a number of pictures of various bits of dust (these were taken after almost a month after leaving the property, so dust will have accumulated despite our best efforts), a few small cleaning items left in cupboards, some plastic bags on top of the kitchen cupboards, a freezer that was switched off and left to defrost (I was using it to store food until I left, so I couldn't exactly switch it off beforehand) and a cable modem we didn't have the tools to remove.

Whilst I can understand that they may want to make a small charge to remove the items, Ł188 seems incredibly excessive for cleaning. Can anyone comment on whether it's worth disputing this?

The second point is that they want to charge us for the water bill through our deposit. I checked the tenancy agreement, and I can indeed see that this was specified when we signed it, however I was under the impression that landlords cannot legally charge bills and use the tenancy deposit to pay them off, as this must either be included in the agreed rent, or the tenant should be allowed to deal with the utility company directly, so that they are entering an agreement with the utility provider and are provided with original copies of the utility bills.

I'm pretty sure the law was changed to this, or something similar to this, in order to protect the security deposits of tenants, 2 or 3 years ago, alongside similar laws stating that deposits need to be kept in a dedicated bank account to prevent them from being used for other charges. As such, is it legal for our landlord to have included this in their contract, and is it legal for them to be charging us this now? If not, what specific Acts should I be quoting here?

Talk to the Student Union - they often have advisors there who can give you accurate information and it is free.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I live in Washington State. I have a debt collector on tape violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (leaving a voicemail implying he was a hiring manager offering me a job in order to get me to contact them), would it be legal for me to offer to drop/never bring any claims against them for this in exchange for forgiving the debt (reporting it as Paid In Full)? The amount of the debt is more than the $1000 I can recover, but I suspect less than the $1000+attorney's fees they'd pay (especially considering the costs of their own attorneys).

My alternative would pretty much be to settle the debt then go to one of those kind of scummy attorneys who love to sue debt collectors, since I assume if I sued them before settling the debt they would just sue me back immediately.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
^^^ Do you want this thread?

Tristram Shandy posted:

Is it legal to wear a pair on non prescription sunglasses over prescription glasses? Or should I look into some type of filter so i can safely drive at sundown.

'Sup, fellow glasses-needing California goon buddy. I can't help you with the legal aspect but I strongly recommend investing in a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses to keep in your car. Driving is so much nicer with proper sunglasses (and not just around sundown, either). Not the cheapest solution, I'll grant you, but it's totally worth it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Choadmaster posted:

I figured that thread is more about strategies for dealing with debt collectors, my question is whether it's legal to say "I won't sue you if you cancel my debt." Basically I was just worried that it might somehow count as extortion (this is where it's clear I've read too much random legal stuff for my own good).

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

spog posted:

Talk to the Student Union - they often have advisors there who can give you accurate information and it is free.

I'm not at the university any more, having just moved out and graduated. We're also out of term, so the SU is closed anyway.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

'Sup, fellow glasses-needing California goon buddy. I can't help you with the legal aspect but I strongly recommend investing in a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses to keep in your car. Driving is so much nicer with proper sunglasses (and not just around sundown, either). Not the cheapest solution, I'll grant you, but it's totally worth it.

Or you can get nerdy flip down things or grandma overwraps.
Get some sunglasses or clean your glasses more often (oh and the anti-glare stuff on the lenses they try to sell you? It actually works).

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I think I need legal advice...
I was skateboarding at the public park two nights ago and it was after hours. The park ranger saw me and started to come after me and I left before he could get close. Last night I went to the park because it's where I go to study. On the way out the park ranger wanted to talk to me, I drove away before he could talk to me. I don't think he got my license plate number or anything.

Today I went to the park to talk with an old friend, and we were just in the parking lot, and the park ranger comes, and I wasn't going to run away because at this point I had nothing to hide.

The park guy asked me who I was and who owned this car, and I told him I owned the car but I didn't tell him my name. He said that he had given the police my license plate number from a previous day because someone had been tearing up the park and spray painted a bathroom.

I don't see any possible way that my license plate number was taken, but there was another car in the parking lot, it just happened to be another friend of mines, and she left it there so she could ride with a friend. The park ranger guy said the police waited at her car, till she got there to question her, and I called her, and she said they just asked if someone was braking into her car.

I drove away before the park guy could get my license plate number, this time around, and he mentioned they were looking for my car (green with beige top).

If I get pulled over what are the consequences? I figure if they had my license plate number they could just come to my house and question me, so I think he might have been lying about the plates. I took my skateboard out of the car to not raise suspicion if I got pulled.

Can I be booked on anything? If I get pulled and they ask me about the night do I just say I was skateboarding and I didn't know. I was with a friend the whole time, so I kind of have some proof I didn't spray anything. What do I do?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

That thread just needs to close, there is no legal guidance in there anymore and just a bunch of people with questions that don't get answered.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

lemonslol posted:

Can I be booked on anything?
Based on what you've said, arguably trespassing and malicious injury to property (for the playground). The latter is a bit of a stretch, though.

lemonslol posted:

If I get pulled and they ask me about the night do I just say I was skateboarding and I didn't know.
If you get pulled over and they ask you about the night, shut the hell up. Ask if you are free to leave. I you are, stay shut up and leave. If not, ask for an attorney and stay shut up.

lemonslol posted:

What do I do?
Stop trespassing.
Stop eluding through playgrounds.
Stop trying to prove that the skater stereotype is true.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

joat mon posted:

Stop trespassing.
Stop eluding through playgrounds.
Stop trying to prove that the skater stereotype is true.

Thanks a TON! So do you think the police are actually looking for my car, or was the park ranger just trying to scare me into not coming back?

jtsold
Jul 6, 2004
dlostj
[Edit: Amicable resolution achieved!]

jtsold fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 28, 2011

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

lemonslol posted:

Thanks a TON! So do you think the police are actually looking for my car, or was the park ranger just trying to scare me into not coming back?

No way to tell, maybe both. If your jurisdiction is like mine, the police can't arrest you for a misdemeanor not committed in their presence. That means the ranger and the cops have to care enough to go to the (minor) trouble to swear out an arrest warrant for you. You may be able to check for a warrant online.
On the other hand, the police can just arrest you if you confess to them. The less contact you have with the ranger and the police the less interest they'll take in you. If you can't handle that, and the police do want to talk to you, at least make sure to keep your mouth shut.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.

JimTheSarcastic posted:

Hey guys.

State is Minnesota. Not in any court happenings.

My friend/roommate/landlord owns the house I currently live in, and I rent a bedroom (and share the common areas, etc.). My lease runs up August 15 of this year, but I will be leaving July 29. I've paid rent through August 15, per my lease. My friend is trying to rent the room out, starting August 1. My stance is that I should be refunded half a month's rent, since he is essentially trying to sell something he has already sold to me, even if I won't be using. Do I have any standing? Maybe it doesn't constitute fraud, but it still doesn't seem right or legal (or really anything but incredibly greedy). Thanks, guys!

IANAL, but start documenting everything now. Take pictures of everything when you move out. Get everything in writing before you move out.

Germ Wrangler
Apr 20, 2009
I posted this in Ask/Tell but I suppose that it is better off being posted here. Any help that could be given would be much appreciated. Sorry if it's kinda long but it needs a little bit of backstory:

For the past 7 months I've been working for a small family owned bead store in California. The family that owns the store is two older parents who run and manage the ordering systems of the store and their two coddled sons, ones in his early 20's ones in his late 20s, who manage the staff of the store. I worked almost full time for the store (5 days a week, 6 hours a day) and as far as I knew things were going great. I consistently made large sales on pretty much a daily basis, I had a repeat clientele base would ask for me by name and taught numerous classes and always handled a multiple number of reference questions daily on how to use, make and finish jewelry products.

A few months ago I found out that my older boss, the one in his late 20's, had been asking my coworker about me and to feel out and see if I was interested in him. There has been a precedent with the boss dating employees and leveraging his position, and she relayed this information to me and I started to take notice of all the weird/creeper things that he would towards me. I would constantly notice him blatantly starting at my tits when we were working, he'd send me out to go buy him snacks and random menial tasks, and he would text me to invite me out after work to dirnk or to his :airquote: band's shows. This last Saturday another female coworker of mine invited all of us to a party at her house which my boss tried to get me to attend by saying "you could be a douche and go out with your friends or you could be cool and come to this party." I politely declined saying that I had already had plans and left work to go about my evening.

Two and a half hours after leaving work that Saturday I receive a text message from said creeper boss telling me that they were letting me go and that I did not need to come into work the following day. He also said that they would be sending me a check for my last weeks pay and vacation time in the mail. When I asked for a reason as to why I was being let go I got the short response of "Its just not working out". This isn't really a “gently caress HIM HOW CAN I gently caress HIM OVER” post, I feel like I was fired from my job because I was not interested in pursuing a relationship with my boss and want to know what I can do about this situation? I had never received a formal warning for any sort of negative behavior on my part at the job that could potentially affect my employment. I enjoyed my job and the clients and was not given any real reason for why I was being let go. I also know that I should have received my final payment within 72 hours of being terminated but as it stands I still have not received my final paycheck and owed vacation time. Like I said previously any help or advice that could be given would be much appreciated as I have little experience with California labor laws.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

What part of California are you in (SoCal or NorCal is fine). I may be able to recommend an attorney.
Yes, you should sue them.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

So when you say keep my mouth shut if I'm pulled, do you mean, avoid talking about the park " why am I being detained" kind of stuff. Or do you mean don't open my mouth say something about an attorney and that's it?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

lemonslol posted:

So when you say keep my mouth shut if I'm pulled, do you mean, avoid talking about the park " why am I being detained" kind of stuff. Or do you mean don't open my mouth say something about an attorney and that's it?

Anything you tell them, even if it seems unrelated, can only hurt you and never help you. Just be very polite but firm "I'm not going to answer any questions, am I free to go?" If they tell you no, tell them that you'd like to speak to a lawyer.

(not a lawyer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hypothetically if someone is trying to force me into a psychiatric care situation against my will, yet I am actually perfectly sane, do I have the right to an attorney in that situation?