Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gau posted:

I'm trying to make a good Battlemind aggro-tank with debuff effects, but it just doesn't seem to be coming together like I want it to. Will somebody help me make this good?

There's this build from charop:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/25486489/Ronin_-_a_Battlemind_Build

It's a polearm momentum proning build that exploits the combination of Glaive, Polearm Momentum, Polearm Gamble, Heavy Blade Opportunity and Opportunity Sidestep / Mobile Warrior. It's a little outdated, but it might be an starting point to grab ideas from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah, Polearm Gamble + HBO is really good and totally worth messing around with your stats to qualify for, especially since you don't need your Wis for much. And every defender ever should take Superior Will. And every Battlemind wants to make Blurred Step useful, so take either Blurred Speed or (I recommend) switch to the harrier build and take Harrying Step.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
So my DM wants me to retool my defender for his Dark Sun campaign because he says "I look like I might want to adjust some things" but what he really means is "your fighter locked down a solo monster for an entire encounter and it pissed me off".

Anyways, I think I'm redoing my character as a Mul Earth Warden with the Gladiator theme. I'll edit this post later with what I've come up with so far (I'm at work right now, so I can't get to his stats) but I was wondering if you guys think that's a solid combo? The other option open to me is making a Battlemind, basically.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Either is plausible as a highly effective defender. The Warden's probably a little more conventional.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
Is there a program that allows me to make a quick forum friendly print out of my character?

I want to show off my "-5 to all attacks in an area burst 2, immobilize and prone to boot with an at-will" bard. It may take a bit to post due to sheer silliness if I don't have an easy way to make it into forum code.

edit: it also ends up with stupidly good defenses.

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 13, 2011

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

The blasphemer, uncontrite, must be punished mightily.

dirtycajun posted:

Is there a program that allows me to make a quick forum friendly print out of my character?

Using the online character builder? Character Sheet Style "Character Summary", then copy to clipboard.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Upload the .dnd4e file to iPlay4e, and then export the forums code from the File menu. They have a SomethingAwful option all set up for us.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Wicked Witch, level 30
Half-Elf, Bard, Resourceful Magician, Sage of Ages
Bardic Virtue Option: Virtue of Cunning
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Thunder
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Netheril (Netheril Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 14, DEX 14, INT 24, WIS 10, CHA 26

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 10, DEX 12, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 16

AC: 43 Fort: 45 Ref: 47 Will: 47
HP: 171 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 42

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +37, Bluff +28, Diplomacy +30, History +34, Intimidate +28, Streetwise +28

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Athletics +17, Dungeoneering +22, Endurance +17, Heal +16, Insight +18, Nature +22, Perception +16, Religion +29, Stealth +17, Thievery +17

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Bard Feature: Majestic Word
Bard Feature: Words of Friendship
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Wizard Attack 1: Winged Horde
Bard Attack 1: Staggering Note
Bard Attack 1: Jinx Shot
Bard Utility 2: Inspire Competence
Bard Utility 6: Glimpse the Future
Bard Utility 10: Mantle of Unity
Resourceful Magician Attack 11: Twinned Spell
Resourceful Magician Utility 12: Spontaneous Action
Bard Utility 16: Haste
Wizard Attack 17: Mass Charm
Wizard Attack 19: Wrath of Battle
Resourceful Magician Attack 20: Resourceful Trick
Bard Utility 22: Invisible Troupe
Bard Attack 23: Chant of Bad Fortune
Bard Attack 25: Virtuoso of Misfortune
Sage of Ages Utility 26: Trick of Knowledge
Wizard Attack 27: Steal Time
Wizard Attack 29: Visions of Wrath

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Holy Symbol Expertise
Level 2: Defending Dabbler
Level 4: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 6: Adept Dilettante
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Mounted Combat
Level 11: Psychic Lock
Level 12: Versatile Master
Level 14: Arcane Admixture
Level 16: Resounding Thunder
Level 18: Soldier of the Faith
Level 20: Group Defense
Level 21: Bola Training
Level 22: (Placeholder Feat)
Level 24: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 26: Epic Will
Level 28: Epic Fortitude
Level 30: Epic Reflexes

ITEMS
Ritual Book
Disrupting Bola +6 x1
Headband of Intellect (epic tier) x1
Light Shield x1
Timeless Locket +6 x1
Battle Harness Voidhide +6 x1
Belt of Vim (epic tier) x1
Ring of Free Time (epic tier) x1
Ring of Wizardry (epic tier) x1
Wyvern
Glib Limerick
Tenser's Floating Disk
====== End ======

The order on feats is all hosed up on this and I apologize, I need to clean it up.

Basically you use half elf dilettante to get winged horde. Arcane admixture thunder/resounding thunder to increase size to a area burst 2. Psychic lock for -2 to hit. Multi-class paladin. Defending dabbler to mark everyone with hit with winged horde, another -2. Group defense to boost all allies defense against marked things by +1. Use a disrupting bola so you can actually deliver this attack as a holy implement. This means you need bola training, another multi-class feat that lets you forgo damage to immobilize. Then you slap them with quickened spellcasting (or twinned spell) and world serpents grasp to knock them prone.

After all that your winged horde gives an effective -5 to hit, no OAs, no combat advantage against me (holy symbol expertise), immobilize, and potential for prone.

So now you can focus on defense, all of the stanadard defense feats, mounted combat so you can be in the air on a Wyvern that gives better defenses which I believe are not included on the stat block.

Take mass charm for the free hit move enemies to a clumped group.

Anything else power or feat wise is just for shits and giggles to give extra attacks or actions to allies for those all important novas or extra attacks if I gently caress up. I am not sure I explained all of it but this should be a good jumping off point.

Next up: how to use and abuse magic missile to great DM frustration.

dirtycajun fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 13, 2011

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Here's my character thus far, thoughts?

Marok, level 3
Mul, Warden
Build: Earth Warden
Guardian Might Option: Earthstrength
Born of Two Races Option: Dwarf
Dark Sun
Theme: Gladiator

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 19, CON 16, DEX 12, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 14, DEX 12, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 19 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 14
HP: 47 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +7, Endurance +8, Nature +7, Perception +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics –1, Arcana +0, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +0, Insight +2, Intimidate +1, Religion +0, Stealth –1, Streetwise +3, Thievery –1

POWERS
Gladiator Feature: Disrupting Advance
Mul Racial Power: Incredible Toughness
Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
Wild Talent Cantrip: Telekinetic Grasp
Warden Attack 1: Thorn Strike
Warden Attack 1: Weight of Earth
Warden Attack 1: Roots of Stone
Warden Attack 1: Form of Winter's Herald
Endurance Utility 2: Endure Pain
Warden Attack 3: Rough Strike

FEATS
Level 1: Improved Defenses
Level 2: Crippling Crush

ITEMS
Warhammer x1
Hide Armor x1
Heavy Shield x1
====== End ======

Should I not use a heavy shield and just stick with a light shield to reduce my armor check penalties? I can also get my STR to 18 and my CON to 18, but my DEX and WIS suffer so much that I'm not sure it's worth it. And the only power I'm iffy on taking is my Level 2 Utility. Endure Pain is awesome, but so is Inspiring Fortitude, Nature Sense, and Go With The Flow. All good, all tough to choose between. :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Check penalties are something you just suck up and live with TBH. The extra defences are more than worth them, unless you want to spend two feats at least to maintain the same defences with lower ones (MC Rogue and take Blade and Buckler Duellist, or take Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defence, and a Rhythm Blade off-hand dagger).

Nature sense is a great encounter-turning power, to be honest. It lets the team really get out there and take it to the mobs when you can take a fairly clean shot at being able to avoid attacks for the first round. For a level 2 util it's pretty insane. Definitely worth it.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

Like thespaceinvader says, armor and shield check penalties are basically something you just need to accept as "stupid jock" legacy crap.

Starting with an odd-number primary stat is usually a bad idea. Given that you're a defender and will probably be taking a lot of hits, I'd suggest starting with a (post-racial) 18/18/12/8/12/10. Your AC is a bit low at the moment and this will bring it up, as well as getting you more mileage out of Crippling Crush.

Go With The Flow is probably a bad choice for utility, as it competes for your immediate action in a bad way (no point ending up adjacent to the enemy if you can't punish). Endure Pain is not as problematic, since it punishes someone for attacking you, and Nature Sense is good.

The only thing with feats is that I'd normally pick up Sudden Roots before Crippling Crush. The thing Wardens need to work at is keeping enemies adjacent, so the upgrade to your opportunity attack is more of a priority than damage.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's worth noting that an odd-number primary might be worth it if you expect to be playing in Paragon.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

Well, he's starting at level 3 for certain. So, if you know your campaign is going to end after 4 but before level 8, after 11 but before 14, after 18 but before 21, or after 24 but before 28, odd primary is the better option.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
I actually restatted to the 18/18/12/8/12/10 array. I had that originally, then messed around with it to get what I posted, but ended up going back. It just feels way more solid in the long run.

I've been waffling on the Sudden Roots/Crippling Crush thing. Ending our fights fast in the lower tiers is nice, and I figured Crippling Crush might help that, but increasing my stickiness seems like a good idea too. I'm definitely going to be getting both of them eventually (along with World Serpent's Grasp).

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

Sudden Roots vs Crippling Crush is touch and go. You certainly have more than enough to make use of Crippling Crush already, and it's pretty much a question of "which do I take at fourth level?" What makes up the rest of the party?

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Dedekind posted:

Sudden Roots vs Crippling Crush is touch and go. You certainly have more than enough to make use of Crippling Crush already, and it's pretty much a question of "which do I take at fourth level?" What makes up the rest of the party?

We've got a Melee Rogue/Wasteland Nomad, a Beast Ranger/Gladiator (at least, I think so on the last part), and the other player is currently rerolling right now, possibly into an Ardent or a Sorceror, not sure which. I've been trying to convince him to go Animist Shaman/Primal Guardian because he wants to play an elemental priest type character (from the original Dark Sun) and I thought it would be cool if our two characters had a shared background/history and worked together towards a common goal.

I would really kill for one of my party members to roll a freakin' healer, but apparently everyone sees that as a big old waste of time or something, I don't know. But no one wanted to play a defender either. So, my first character was some weird amalgamation of the two and the party just kept yelling at me to heal them and make stuff stop attacking them and didn't understand that I couldn't really do both.

Pretty soon I'm just going to roll up the biggest, dumbest barbarian ever and our battle plan is going to be "kill everything on round 1 or start rerolling characters" I think.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Quick question, I've got a level 15 Drow Rogue (AD/Daggermaster), and we're finally allowed to pick a character theme.

It seems like the choices I've got boils down to Mercernary, Outlaw, Gloomwrought Emissary and the Noble Adept (from Darksun).

The merc and the Noble Adept are the front runners right now. How important is adding one to the roll (or +1d4 with the power point) plus having the ability to use the power point for flowform armor vs. Takedown strike (which gives an extra dex mod damage and knocks prone), and a +1 bump to defenses when I'm bloodied?

At level 15 I have a +23 to attack. So that's like a 75% chance to hit same level dudes vs. AC.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

Gay Polymers posted:

We've got a Melee Rogue/Wasteland Nomad, a Beast Ranger/Gladiator (at least, I think so on the last part), and the other player is currently rerolling right now, possibly into an Ardent or a Sorceror, not sure which.
If the other player goes Shaman, make sure you take Sudden Roots first. Otherwise, you might as well go Crippling Crush first.

Drewjitsu: Does your DM let you know how much you missed by?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dedekind posted:

If the other player goes Shaman, make sure you take Sudden Roots first. Otherwise, you might as well go Crippling Crush first.

Drewjitsu: Does your DM let you know how much you missed by?

No, but the group that I'm in figures out the AC pretty quickly. I can see Noble adept being more valuable if I know how much I missed by.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Okay, so discussing things with my party, the Beast Ranger -might- reroll as the tank, leaving me free to play the leader. I threw this together kind of quick, it's very fluff oriented for Dark Sun, but just wanted some thoughts on it.

Adweri, level 3
Half-Elf, Shaman
Build: Animist Shaman
Companion Spirit Option: Elemental Spirit
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Spear)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Totem)
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Knack for Success
Dark Sun, Inherent Bonuses
Theme: Elemental Priest

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 15, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 18, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 13, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 16, CHA 8

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 14 Will: 16
HP: 37 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Insight +12, Nature +10, Perception +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Athletics +1, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +2, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +5, History +4, Intimidate +0, Religion +4, Stealth +1, Streetwise +0, Thievery +1

POWERS
Elemental Priest Feature: Spirit of Athas
Half-Elf Racial Power: Knack for Success
Shaman Feature: Spirit's Wrath
Shaman Feature: Call Spirit Companion
Shaman Feature: Healing Spirit
Shaman Feature: Speak with Spirits
Shaman Attack 1: Spirit Infusion
Shaman Attack 1: Spirit of the Tempest
Shaman Attack 1: Scorching Sands
Shaman Attack 1: Spirit of the Healing Flood
Shaman Utility 2: Condensation
Elemental Priest Attack 3: Bloodthirsty Elemental

FEATS
Level 1: Spirit of Vigor
Level 2: Versatile Expertise

ITEMS
Longspear x1
Totem
Leather Armor x1
Adventurer's Kit
====== End ======

My defenses feel really low, but I've also been playing mostly melee clerics and defenders since I got into 4E, so I guess that's to be expected.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

No, but the group that I'm in figures out the AC pretty quickly. I can see Noble adept being more valuable if I know how much I missed by.

If you're planning to use the power point for anything but Adept's Insight, knowing the target number is mandatory. Even then, the problem is that on any given roll, there's only a 5% chance that unaugmented Adept's Insight is going to be useful, so it's not really an encounter power. (Augmented isn't even much better for you, since as a rogue your miss range should be miniscule.) On the other hand, Takedown Strike is a reliable power that helps you do exactly what you want to be doing every encounter, and the defensive boost when bloodied is a great freebie for the theme. Flowform armour is good, but Resilient Focus is probably the better way to buff it in my books.

Gay Polymers: Only suggestion I would make is that animist shamans, more than anyone else, really want Sudden Call as soon as possible, so I'd probably take it before Spirit Vigor.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'll be taking part in my first D&D campaign this weekend, i've done a good bit of roleplaying before but i lack experience with d20 as a whole and D&D in particular. I decided to play a battlemind and after some poking around the polearm momentum multiclass thing seems to be very nice.

I saw a bunch of similar builds discussed in the thread already but i'm not going to copy one exactly, it's going to be a reskin gimmick campaign and my character will be a space-bending psionic monolith.

Primary Goals: Being a rock.
Secondary Goals: As much teleport and movement shenanigans as possible.

I realize that Warforged aren't the best race for this build but i really, really want those construct rules due to the background. The campaign will start at lvl 1 but i wanted to plan this character out beforehand, i realize it's going to be a while 'til the really crazy stuff gets going (body double on gamble attacks, preferably with the vortex active :v:) but i hope i'm not gimping myself completely beforehand.

I have a feeling that i could use retrain to only spec into this build later on and do something different in the lower levels but planning that out is where i gave up.

trimmed down from iplay4e, iron fist at lvl 3 gets exchanged for body double at lvl 7
pre:
THE MONOLITH
Warforged Battlemind (Battlemind)
Level 12, Unaligned, 3m, heavy
XP: 32000
Languages: Common

Str  15 ( +2) +12(Starting)+2(Warforged)+1(Level 11)
Con  21 ( +5) +16(Starting)+2(Warforged)+3(Levels 4, 8, 11)
Dex  16 ( +3) +14(Starting)+2(Levels 8, 11)
Int  12 ( +1) +11(Starting)+1(Level 11)
Wis  16 ( +3) +14(Starting)+2(Levels 4, 11)
Cha   9 ( -1) +8(Starting)+1(Level 11)

Hit Points
	Max HP:     102 +21(Con)+15(Battlemind 1)+66(Battlemind 12)
	Bloodied:    51 +51(1/2 HP)
	Surge:       25 +25(1/4 HP)
	Surges/Day:  14 +9(Battlemind)+5(Con mod)

Defenses and Senses
	AC:   25 +10(Constant)+6(1/2 Level)+2(Inherent Defense Bonus)+7(Scale Armor)
	Fort: 23 +10(Constant)+6(1/2 Level)+0(Fortitude Defense Class Bonus)+2(Inherent Defense Bonus)+5(Con mod)
	Ref:  21 +10(Constant)+6(1/2 Level)+0(Reflex Defense Class Bonus)+2(Inherent Defense Bonus)+3(Dex mod)
	Will: 27 +10(Constant)+6(1/2 Level)+2(Will Defense Class Bonus)+1(Warforged Mind)+2(Inherent Defense Bonus)+3(Superior Will)+3(Wis mod)

Passive Perception:  19 +9(Perception)+10(Constant)
	Passive Insight:     24 +14(Insight)+10(Constant)

Initiative:  9 +6(1/2 Level)+0(Initiative Misc)+3(Dex mod)
	Speed:       5 +6(Warforged)-1(Scale Armor)
	Vision:     Normal

Conditional Defenses:
		AC +3 Dexterity modifier

Race and Class Features
	Living Construct [Warforged]
	     No need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep
	Warforged Resolve [Warforged]
	     Use warforged resolve as an encounter power
	Warforged Mind [Warforged]
	     +1 to Will defense
	Warforged Resilience [Warforged]
	     +2 racial bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage
	Unsleeping Watcher [Warforged]
	     4 hours of inactivity counts as an extended rest
	Endurance Bonus [Warforged]

Intimidate Bonus [Warforged]

Psionic Augmentation [Battlemind]
	     Gain augmentable at-wills instead of encounter powers.
	Psionic Defense [Battlemind]
	     Gain battlemind's demand, blurred step, and mind spike powers
	Psionic Study [Battlemind]

Persistent Harrier [Battlemind]
	     Gain the persistent harrier power

Feats
Weapon Expertise (Polearm) for free at creation
	     Gain bonus to attack rolls with polearms.
	Harrying Step at 1
	     Teleport instead of shift with blurred step
	Wild Talent Master at 2
	     Gain three wild talents
	Mark of Sentinel at 4
	     Shift before or after using an opportunity attack, perform certain rituals
	Wrathful Warrior at 6
	     Fighter: training in one class skill, temporary hp when hit 1/encounter
	Polearm Momentum at 9
	     Knock pushed or slid enemy prone with polearm
	Superior Will at 10
	     +2/3/4 (by tier) to Will. Additional saving throw vs. dazed or stunned at start of turn, even if condition is not (save ends)
	Heavy Blade Opportunity at 11
	     Use at-will power with opportunity attack
	Polearm Gamble at 12
	     Make opportunity attack against adjacent enemy

Powers
	At-Will
	Battlemind's Demand  [Minor Action]
	Blurred Step  [Free Action]
	Mind Spike  [Immediate Reaction]
	Vicious Cobra Strike  [Standard Action]
	     Staggering Glaive +1 - Attack: 17 vs. AC,  Damage: 5
	     Unarmed - Attack: 14 vs. AC,  Damage: 5
	Bull's Strength  [Standard Action]
	     Staggering Glaive +1 - Attack: 17 vs. AC,  Damage: 2d4+8
	     Unarmed - Attack: 14 vs. AC,  Damage: 1d4+8
	Thought Projection  [Minor Action]
	Sensing Eye  [Minor Action]
	Psionic Spark  [Minor Action]
	Body Double  [Standard Action]
	     Staggering Glaive +1 - Attack: 17 vs. AC,  Damage: 2d4+3

Encounter
	Warforged Resolve  [Minor Action]
	     Unarmed - Attack: 9 vs. Unknown,  Damage: 
	Persistent Harrier  [Immediate Reaction]
	Telepathic Challenge  [Minor Action]
	Psionic Ambush  [Move Action]
	Second Wind  [Standard Action]
	Action Point  [Free Action]

Daily
	Living Fortress  [Standard Action]
	     Staggering Glaive +1 - Attack: 17 vs. AC,  Damage: 6d4+8
	     Unarmed - Attack: 14 vs. AC,  Damage: 3d4+8
	Nightmare Vortex  [Standard Action]
	Inconstant Location  [Standard Action]
	     Staggering Glaive +1 - Attack: 17 vs. AC,  Damage: 4d4+8
	     Unarmed - Attack: 14 vs. AC,  Damage: 2d4+8
	Battle Aspect [sub][super] [Minor Action]

Inventory
	Weapons
	Glaive, Staggering Weapon +1

Armor
	Scale Armor

Magic Items
	Rushing Cleats (heroic tier)

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Bistromatic did I miss it in there or did you not pick a paragon path yet?

Also you are missing lightning rush which is probably the single best battlemind power. Body double is also a really good power, but not quite as good as lightning rush, besides I think at level 13 if I remember my build rules right you can swap & get both.

adaz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 18, 2011

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Whoops, i didn't. :v: I was thinking of Iron Guardian for the paragon path.

And what specifically makes lightning rush so great as opposed to postioning myself between enemies and allies? And it does rob me of my normal standard action which i would love to spend on Iron Defense. I'm still reading up on all the rules and i'm sure i'm missing things.

Oh, and item recommendations would be nice because those lists seem endless. Is there anything that gives push or slide where there was none instead of increasing it like staggering?

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Bistromatic posted:

Whoops, i didn't. :v: I was thinking of Iron Guardian for the paragon path.

And what specifically makes lightning rush so great as opposed to postioning myself between enemies and allies? And it does rob me of my normal standard action which i would love to spend on Iron Defense. I'm still reading up on all the rules and i'm sure i'm missing things.

Oh, and item recommendations would be nice because those lists seem endless. Is there anything that gives push or slide where there was none instead of increasing it like staggering?

Well with iron guardian the formula is

your turn:
move and position yourself
Standard Iron Defense

enemies turn:
Lightning Rush (spend PP to regain standard action) or Polearm Momentum
Repeat

Without lightning rush you aren't going to be able to do a whole lot just because your standard action is going to be burned on iron defense -- you'll never be able to actually use body double and iron defense together unless you spend an action point.

Another thing to keep in mind with that build is Polearm Gamble & Lightning rush are both an immediate actions, you can only do one of those a turn. You can do multiple opportunity attacks though. Lightning Rush just lets you get in better position to help your allies out is all plus it gives you an out of turn action which is always nice. Double is cool for provoking opportunity attacks though, don't get me wrong, but you just don't have any actions to use it every turn if you're using iron defense.

As far as items, gauntlets of the ram (+1 to push), bracers of tactical blow (+1d6 damage), boon of bahamut (+2 to OA attacks)

e: as far as push/pull just use Bulls Strength power to push 1 they provoke opportunity attacks, so you can push them 2 and knock prone with polearm

adaz fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 18, 2011

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Cavern Explorer's Weapon pushes 1 on a crit only. Forceful (Bows only, alas) adds a push 1. Myrdoon's Shard can add a push as a daily power. Barulg's pushes 1 in a close burst 1 as a daily.

Basically 'slap a push onto an existing power' items are gonna be hard to find or use.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Gomi posted:

Cavern Explorer's Weapon pushes 1 on a crit only. Forceful (Bows only, alas) adds a push 1. Myrdoon's Shard can add a push as a daily power. Barulg's pushes 1 in a close burst 1 as a daily.

Basically 'slap a push onto an existing power' items are gonna be hard to find or use.

yeah but with a battlemind you don't need that with heavy blade opportunity. You can use bulls strength + item/feat to push 2 & knock prone with polearm momentum

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for the advice already,

adaz posted:

Well with iron guardian the formula is

your turn:
move and position yourself
Standard Iron Defense

enemies turn:
Lightning Rush (spend PP to regain standard action) or Polearm Momentum
Repeat

What i don't get is that Lightning Rush includes

Effect: You don’t get your normal standard action on your next turn.

that would seem to prevent me from doing the next Iron Defense.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Bistromatic posted:

Thanks for the advice already,

What i don't get is that Lightning Rush includes

Effect: You don’t get your normal standard action on your next turn.

that would seem to prevent me from doing the next Iron Defense.

:science: Augment 2 buddy! You have something like 12 (?) Powerpoints at level 12, so you can do this 6 times. As a even better benefit thanks to iron guardian you probably ruined their loving day and will take no damage from the attack. :snoop:

quote:

Augment 2

Hit: 2[W] + Constitution modifier damage, and you become the target of the triggering attack.

Effect: You get your normal standard action on your next turn.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Ah drat, i wasn't looking at the augmented versions closely enough :v:

Thanks again.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Lightning Rush is one of the strongest defender powers in the game because it just straight up removes the enemy's choice, and does so at a generous distance and out of turn. Hell, the target doesn't even have to be marked by you.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Dedekind posted:

Gay Polymers: Only suggestion I would make is that animist shamans, more than anyone else, really want Sudden Call as soon as possible, so I'd probably take it before Spirit Vigor.

Is that true with Sudden Call only being 1/encounter? I can definitely see it being extremely useful in Paragon to take Nimble Spirit, but I figure with my animists free summon every turn if my spirit isn't out, I shouldn't have to worry too much as long as I plan properly. I'm thinking about pushing off the Sudden Call feat until level 6. I guess I can always grab it at 4 if I find I really can't live w/o it.

Dedekind
Sep 6, 2003

Gay Polymers posted:

Is that true with Sudden Call only being 1/encounter?
Look at it this way: 1/encounter you'll use Scorching Sands and need to summon your spirit at the end of your turn. While you can burn your minor to bring it back, that means making a choice between moving and healing. Throw in heavy use of Spirit Infusion, and anything that relieves the demand on your actions is going to be appreciated. It's definitely worth playing to see how it goes before making the choice, but given the competing constraints for the animist with losing and keeping the spirit, Sudden Call is pretty high priority to me.

Splendid!
Jun 14, 2011

Bow ties are cool.
This is my first time rolling a Warpriest.

Thoughts? I'd like to do more melee than your average Cleric but still heal when it is needed.

quote:

Thoril Oaktree, level 1
Human, Cleric (Warpriest)
Domain: Sun Domain
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Society - Noble (Insight class skill)
Theme: Noble

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 20, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 8

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 11 Will: 17
HP: 31 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Diplomacy +4, Heal +10, Insight +10, Religion +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics –1, Athletics –1, Bluff –1, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +1, History +0, Intimidate –1, Nature +5, Perception +5, Stealth –1, Streetwise –1, Thievery –1

POWERS
Noble Utility: Noble Presence
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Cleric Attack: Smite Undead
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Feat Utility: Amoth's Grace
Cleric Utility 1: Soothing Light
Cleric Attack 1: Blessing of Battle
Cleric Attack 1: Brand of the Sun
Cleric Attack 1: Sun's Glow
Cleric Attack 1: Sun Burst
Cleric Attack 1: Levy of Judgment

FEATS
Level 1: Toughness
Level 1: Amoth's Grace

ITEMS
Chainmail x1
Adventurer's Kit
Holy Symbol x1
Morningstar x1
====== End ======

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

angry_zellers posted:

This is my first time rolling a Warpriest.

Thoughts? I'd like to do more melee than your average Cleric but still heal when it is needed.

Few comments/questions.

Your background gives you insight as a class skill - which you already have. If you want a class skill (like perception, which is always important, then you want geography - forest, occupation - mariner, etc which give you perception as a class skill).

If you want a few more HPs, you can select Born under a bad sign/auspicious birth/Impiltur to use your Wis instead of Con for determining starting HP (so you gain 6hp over con, and as you add your stat bumps to Wis, you'll gain additional HP). If you don't want either of those, you can always take "Arcane student who saw too much" to get a bonus to saves against daze stun restrain and immobilize.

You might want to consider Beacon of Hope or Moment of Glory for your level 1 daily, don't forget that there are some sweet wisdom implement powers out there that you can poach from.

If you go that route, you probably want a weapon that doubles as a holy symbol to keep your costs down, like the following:

GelatinousOctahedron posted:

Disrupting Weapon AV (flail, hammer, mace) 8
Can be used as a holy symbol. Extra damage against undead.
Unforgettable Cudgel AV2 (Mace) 8
Anyone can use this as a holy symbol and it crits on 19-20.
Crusader's Weapon AV (hammer, mace) 9
Can be used as a holy symbol and half the damage is radiant and gives extra use of channel divinity once a day.
Weapon of Evil Undone AV2 (Any weapon) 10
Works on any weapon and anyone can use it, but has weird properties. Best for devas.
Moonbow Drag386 (bow) 13
Sehanine Worshippers can use this as a holy symbol.
Bradaman's Weapon AV2 (Heavy Blade, Axe, Hammer) 13
Anyone can use this as a holy symbol, but more designed for paladins
Avandra's Whisper AV (light blade) 17
Can be used as a holy symbol if you worship avandra
Lion's Heart Hammer AV2 (Hammer) 17
Any cleric can use this as a holy symbol
Blade of Bahamut AV (heavy blade) 19
Clerics of bahamut can use this as a holy symbol
Moradin's Weapon AV (hammer) 19
Moradin clerics can use this as a holy symbol
Holy Avenger PHB (Axe hammer heavy blade) 25
Counts as a holy symbol and does lots of neat stuff

Since you're a sun priest, I'm told that the best Paragon path for you in Tactical Warpriest, it turns you into a pseudo defender at level 16 with a mark, mark enforcement and everything. Morninglord is probably also a good choice, although you'll have to dump INT instead of CHA (switch those numbers around anyway, some of the cleric powers you want might have CHA riders, none of your cleric/warpriest stuff will have anything to do with Int. As well, if you want to "do more melee than your average cleric, it might be nice to have a good MBA if you take the defender route with tac warpiest (you'd be a warpriest twice!) and so you'd need to take melee training: wisdom.

Now the other question you have to ask yourself is, if you want to do all this, why don't your roll a standard Cleric, there have been some amazing developments for melee clerics in the last few weeks, and now the Strength Melee cleric is decently suppported.

You might want to check out http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19648946/Holy_Smoke_A_Clerics_Handbook for some inspiration. Page two of that handbook has some builds. I think that the unforgettable cudgel/Goliath "Saint Beatdown" build looks pretty badass for what you want to do (maybe?).

EDIT: The knight hospitialer or Noble are pretty good themes for you, too.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 24, 2011

Splendid!
Jun 14, 2011

Bow ties are cool.

Drewjitsu posted:

Few comments/questions.

Your background gives you insight as a class skill - which you already have. If you want a class skill (like perception, which is always important, then you want geography - forest, occupation - mariner, etc which give you perception as a class skill).

If you want a few more HPs, you can select Born under a bad sign/auspicious birth/Impiltur to use your Wis instead of Con for determining starting HP (so you gain 6hp over con, and as you add your stat bumps to Wis, you'll gain additional HP). If you don't want either of those, you can always take "Arcane student who saw too much" to get a bonus to saves against daze stun restrain and immobilize.

You might want to consider Beacon of Hope or Moment of Glory for your level 1 daily, don't forget that there are some sweet wisdom implement powers out there that you can poach from.

If you go that route, you probably want a weapon that doubles as a holy symbol to keep your costs down, like the following:

Since you're a sun priest, I'm told that the best Paragon path for you in Tactical Warpriest, it turns you into a pseudo defender at level 16 with a mark, mark enforcement and everything. Morninglord is probably also a good choice, although you'll have to dump INT instead of CHA (switch those numbers around anyway, some of the cleric powers you want might have CHA riders, none of your cleric/warpriest stuff will have anything to do with Int. As well, if you want to "do more melee than your average cleric, it might be nice to have a good MBA if you take the defender route with tac warpiest (you'd be a warpriest twice!) and so you'd need to take melee training: wisdom.

That was some pro advice, thank you. I made some of the changes you mentioned.

quote:

Thoril Oaktree, level 1
Human, Cleric (Warpriest)
Domain: Sun Domain
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Noble

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 20, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 18, CHA 10

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 11 Will: 17
HP: 37 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Diplomacy +5, Heal +10, Insight +10, Religion +4

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics –1, Athletics –1, Bluff +0, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +1, History –1, Intimidate +0, Nature +5, Perception +5, Stealth –1, Streetwise +0, Thievery –1

POWERS
Noble Utility: Noble Presence
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Cleric Attack: Smite Undead
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Feat Utility: Amoth's Grace
Cleric Utility 1: Soothing Light
Cleric Attack 1: Blessing of Battle
Cleric Attack 1: Brand of the Sun
Cleric Attack 1: Sun's Glow
Cleric Attack 1: Sun Burst
Cleric Attack 1: Beacon of Hope

FEATS
Amoth's Grace
Level 1: Toughness

ITEMS
Chainmail x1
Adventurer's Kit
Holy Symbol x1
Morningstar x1
====== End ======

Drewjitsu posted:

Now the other question you have to ask yourself is, if you want to do all this, why don't your roll a standard Cleric, there have been some amazing developments for melee clerics in the last few weeks, and now the Strength Melee cleric is decently supported.

When you mention rolling a standard Cleric are you referring to the Cleric (Templar)? I'm using the DDI character builder and there doesn't appear to be a vanilla Cleric option. Seems like they removed/changed a lot of the options this thing had since last time I used it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

angry_zellers posted:

When you mention rolling a standard Cleric are you referring to the Cleric (Templar)? I'm using the DDI character builder and there doesn't appear to be a vanilla Cleric option. Seems like they removed/changed a lot of the options this thing had since last time I used it.

Yeah, I mean the templar. WotC in their infinite wisdom, did a little reshuffling of character class names when they realized that under their new essentials paradigm, that the original class names should be the overarching class group, and then each individual class should have a different name to prevent confusion.

So what you get is the Cleric Super-class has two distinct subclasses. The templar (the original cleric, renamed), and the warpriest.

Fighters are now weaponmasters, rogues are now scoundrels, wizards are now arcanists. I think that's it for the changes, although the paladin is gonna get it too, as they have an essentials class, the cavalier.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

What's a good way to make an Int-based striker that's heavy on control? I'm running an enchanter right now but our DM doesn't tend to actually make complex encounters before the session (I recruited him as a DM for his improv and drama experience, anyway) and I'm feeling sort of extraneous in our simple combats. I know, I know, Death To Ability Scores, but it's just easier for my group to rely on the shorthand of having a high Int so I can play my Sherlock Holmes plot-forwarding-machine. Should I just retrain my mage stuff? I could probably get permission to do that.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
What level? Genasi evokers kind of look like sorcerers, at least through heroic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus Cosecant
Jan 12, 2008
There are no int-based strikers. With a high int, you're smart enough not to have to rely on brute force.

• Locked thread