Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
The best you can do in a diesel<>gasoline comparison is to take the economy of the diesel car and a close gasoline engine in the same car, then plug in the price of each fuel. Diesel 20% more efficient and fuel is only 8% more expensive? Winner.

In another example, if you look at E85, it needs to cost at least 24% less than 87 octane, or you're paying more. That NEVER happens anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The price of each fuel is going to be largely down to how each one is taxed.

Anyway with modern efficient small capacity turbo petrols becoming more common I don't see the point of diesel in small economy cars. The petrols are still incredibly cheap on fuel an are so much nicer to drive especially with a conventional manual (with a DSG diesels start to make more sense).

Bigger vehicles are where diesel make perfect sense, you'd be nuts to buy a petrol Landcruiser or X5

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

dissss posted:

Bigger vehicles are where diesel make perfect sense, you'd be nuts to buy a petrol Landcruiser or X5

:siren: european spotted :siren:

Because we don't get diesels in anything in the US :( We'd rather get 13mpg from a gas v8 in the same vehicle, apparently.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

lazer_chicken posted:

Because we don't get diesels in anything in the US :( We'd rather get 13mpg from a gas v8 in the same vehicle, apparently.

Not even close, diesels aren't just a European phenomenon remember (although Japan does seem to have given up on them for their home market)

I thought you could get a diesel Touareg in North America?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lazer_chicken posted:

Soon you're getting an Astra diesel :v: .

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=245785178772689

If 30,000 people sign up, everyone gets a free (well, $6 shipped if you don't pick it up) gay bubble shift knob!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Faerunner posted:

Uh, what part of Pittsburgh are you in? Almost every station I pass except some of the smaller indies has diesel.

Northern suburbs. I would have to run out to route 8 or run up to cranberry. Not huge distances to be sure, but I don't exactly make a habit of running out there either. Pretty much the entire McKnight corridor is diesel free as far as I can tell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's so weird to me. I live in a much smaller city and every station I've ever stopped at has diesel.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Cream_Filling posted:

I bet there's still a market out there for a minivan the size of the original Caravan. See also the strong sales of the Scion xB (before they made it bigger, too).
Only thing I can find that comes close is the Mazda5. It's ever so slightly smaller than my Trans Sport in all measurements, and a quick search says it's somewhat smaller than the Caravan as well, though a bit heavier.
pre:
             Mazda5       1995 Trans Sport      1995 Caravan
Wheelbase:    108.3             109.8              112.3
   Length:    180.5             192.2              178.1
    Width:     68.9              74.6               72.0
   Height:     63.6              65.7               66.0
   Weight:   3457 (auto)       3523 (auto)        3305 (auto)

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 26, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lazer_chicken posted:

I drive a diesel and get 13mpg. Best of both worlds!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

I drive a diesel and get 13mpg. Best of both worlds!

Was about to post this. You can already get a diesel, with a 6 speed manual even, in the US for less than what a diesel Golf costs in Europe.

It's 6.7l and puts out 800ftlbs of torque. :colbert:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 26, 2011

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

dissss posted:

The price of each fuel is going to be largely down to how each one is taxed.

Anyway with modern efficient small capacity turbo petrols becoming more common I don't see the point of diesel in small economy cars. The petrols are still incredibly cheap on fuel an are so much nicer to drive especially with a conventional manual (with a DSG diesels start to make more sense).

They also make sense on small cars, I've driven a modern 1.6l petrol that struggled with any performance with a couple of fat people on the back seats (downshifting on gentle uphill slopes, 0-60 in 30 seconds). My current 1.6l diesel hatchback performs exactly the same with the trunk filled with bags of concrete (barring some disturbing wallowing on corners) as it does empty. And also I only have to fill the tank every 750 miles. With a DSG and twin turbos you don't notice the fact that the performance is only over a narrow range of RPMs as much either, there is no startup wait, there are fewer/equivalent emissions compared to a petrol engine, certainly no smoke, the engine sound can't even be heard in the cabin unless the windows are down and the radio off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

cynic posted:

I've driven a modern 1.6l petrol that struggled with any performance with a couple of fat people on the back seats (downshifting on gentle uphill slopes, 0-60 in 30 seconds).

Go and compare a 1.4 TSI Golf to the 1.6 TDI. You have to be carrying a hell of a lot of weight before performance becomes equivalent.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

dissss posted:

Go and compare a 1.4 TSI Golf to the 1.6 TDI. You have to be carrying a hell of a lot of weight before performance becomes equivalent.

Yeah, it wasn't really a great comparison since I was comparing the shockingly bad Suzuki M16A engine I had a few years back to the tuned Ford DLD-416 I currently have. In the intervening times I've also driven a bunch of underpowered (sub 100 hp) petrol cars and decently powered VW 2.0 TDI's (130-200hp), so I'm a touch biased.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

cynic posted:

Yeah, it wasn't really a great comparison since I was comparing the shockingly bad Suzuki M16A engine I had a few years back to the tuned Ford DLD-416 I currently have. In the intervening times I've also driven a bunch of underpowered (sub 100 hp) petrol cars and decently powered VW 2.0 TDI's (130-200hp), so I'm a touch biased.

A little diesel from that era (especially a Japanese one) wouldn't have done any better.

As for more modern cars I got stuck with a rental Golf BlueMotion in the UK and it was horrible - I'm sure a TDI 140 would have been fine but the 105HP model is horrible.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

dissss posted:

Not even close, diesels aren't just a European phenomenon remember (although Japan does seem to have given up on them for their home market)

I thought you could get a diesel Touareg in North America?

Yeah we do have the diesel touareg, but it starts at 47k. And it's pretty much the only thing available with a diesel other than VW's own golf and jetta.

Then again, I live in the south and I see plenty of people daily driving monstrous diesel pickup trucks. How else are they gonna tow their jet skis or pick up lumber at home depot? :v:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

destructo posted:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=245785178772689

If 30,000 people sign up, everyone gets a free (well, $6 shipped if you don't pick it up) gay bubble shift knob!

I went to check this out but there's seriously not one color that does not make it look like a giant dildo.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

travisray2004 posted:

I went to check this out but there's seriously not one color that does not make it look like a giant dildo.

That would be why they are called dildo shifters :D
(I'm getting a pink on)

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

A5H posted:

(I'm getting a pink on)

Oh, well in that case I'm getting a green one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I was born a poor black Porsche 911 turbo in Zuffenhausen. In my early childhood I dreamed of taking mid-level executives at financial companies to and from important flights and maybe even taking a dotcom millionaire to his first HPDE since getting rid of his musty old Accord. I had also built a relationship with Maxine, a Turbo Beetle that I saw frequently, and we were in love.

Then he came.

The man stepped onto the production floor, gaunt, with a shock of white hair and hooded eyes that lured your gaze but returned nothing for your trouble. He tapped a bony finger on my front flank, moderately disturbing the perfect 0.0076mm wide sixteenth layer of clearcoat applied meticulously to me by Porsche AG engineers. "This one," he said. "This one will do."

I was taken on the back of a flatbed truck towards Pfaffenhausen. I could see the sky saturated with the hateful avian animals that would threaten my clearcoat and that of my friends further. "Schnell," I plead quietly to the work truck carrying me towards my destination, but he was a Scania and only understood Swedish.

They cut into my body with their saws and their grabby hands. I blacked out, awaking periodically throughout the operation.

"Ja," the man in white hair said to me, "you will be a bad motherfucker."

When I awoke, I felt different. Wider. Angrier. They had cut me everywhere, changing my bones to an aluminum composite space frame and tweaked my engine, which now rode in my middle, to produce a bottomless well of torque. I was now as far beyond the middle manager as this man was beyond sanity.

For days after that, I lapped the Nurburgring endlessly. I remember a Renault Clio that saw me, spun out in fear and then hid in the Armco, gibbering and tearing its own face off to escape my sputtering noises of rage. Two angry turbocharged Subarus approached me, their boxer engines clattering like mine, but their workaday Japanese engineering made them understeer and flap around as my perfect shell stole the wind and escaped. A motorcyclist wet himself as I bore down on him in the carousel with barely restrained glee. I was becoming a monster.

I fear I may never see Maxine again, but some part of me is afraid of what she will say once she sees me.

I am the RUF CTR3.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

See also the strong sales of the Scion xB (before they made it bigger, too).

The Scion xB thing still makes me laugh my rear end off at Toyota. I remember reading when they first brought over the xA and xB they thought the hatchback style xA would sell more than the xB. They were so off from their predicted sales targets that in the first year of selling the xB sold at almost 2 to 1 to the xA. Further more instead of attracting an audience of 20 something first time car buyers Scion were getting people in their 40's or 50's buying the thing so they didn't hit their target market either.

Thing was the xB was really just a Toyota bB (or Bb I don't loving know) brought over straight from Japan. When the US Scion design team redid the xB according to Scion's 3 or 4 year model refresh the xB got fat and ugly and now no one wants them any more and the used ones from 04 to 06 still sell for $10k for a car that was only $17k when it was new. They haven't dropped in value like a person would expect because the new ones suck so bad. Scion should have kept selling the first gen xB for twice as long as they did.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am the RUF CTR3.

Awesome intro! That car is indeed a hideous monstrosity. Reminds me of Hennessey Venom GT. Stretching it out is probably the worst thing you can do for the 911's aesthetics. But I wouldn't argue with 700lb ft of torque.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Coredump posted:

The Scion xB thing still makes me laugh my rear end off at Toyota. I remember reading when they first brought over the xA and xB they thought the hatchback style xA would sell more than the xB. They were so off from their predicted sales targets that in the first year of selling the xB sold at almost 2 to 1 to the xA. Further more instead of attracting an audience of 20 something first time car buyers Scion were getting people in their 40's or 50's buying the thing so they didn't hit their target market either.

Thing was the xB was really just a Toyota bB (or Bb I don't loving know) brought over straight from Japan. When the US Scion design team redid the xB according to Scion's 3 or 4 year model refresh the xB got fat and ugly and now no one wants them any more and the used ones from 04 to 06 still sell for $10k for a car that was only $17k when it was new. They haven't dropped in value like a person would expect because the new ones suck so bad. Scion should have kept selling the first gen xB for twice as long as they did.

This is so true, my parents wanted a Scion xB and were really sad when I told them they discontinued the car.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
It looks like all they did was move from a Yaris-derived platform to a Corolla-derived platform. It made business sense, kinda, but the market completely fell out on the Vibe/Matrix around the refresh anyway.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

A5H posted:

(I'm getting a pink on)

Rainbow one here.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Coredump posted:

I had a 2009 xB (ex-wife took it) that was a really, really great car. It had amazing amounts of room, plenty of power for it's class, was comfortable, etc. I don't understand why people don't like them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I had a 2009 xB (ex-wife took it) that was a really, really great car. It had amazing amounts of room, plenty of power for it's class, was comfortable, etc. I don't understand why people don't like them.

I think people do like them, they just like the Kia Soul better. It's cheaper and has more bold styling. Targeting young people is a lost cause anyway, no one under 30 has any money or a job, people who have money and jobs want Camaros.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/07/by-zeus-now-scion-pursues-thirty-somethings.html

quote:

By Zeus! Now, Scion Pursues Thirty-Somethings
By Dale Buss July 12, 2011

Scion Tc RS 7 point 0.jpg

The economic woes of America’s twenty-somethings have forced Scion to broaden its demographic target to include the rest of the Millennial generation, up to age 35. “It’s a function of affordability and the state of economics for 18- to 24-year-olds, with high unemployment,” said Owen Peacock, national marketing communications manager for Scion. “They’re focused on things like college and debt load. At the end of the day, do you go with a small target or go after those who can actually buy a car now? So you need to adjust.”

The change is just one among a number that are reflected in a new Scion advertising campaign for the tC, its highest-volume model, that “stars” the Greek god Zeus in a series of humorous videos. The effort is also Scion’s first marketing push to focus on a special-edition car, its most extensive use of humor in a broad advertising effort, and its richest use of video elements on social media. It’s a time of vast recalibration for Scion overall. Sales were up 28 percent for the brand for the first half of the year compared with a year earlier, even despite a messed-up supply chain because of the natural disaster in Japan in March. And just as Toyota planned when it launched Scion as a separate brand in 2000, it enjoys the industry’s strongest regard with young consumers, according to recent surveys, along with Mitsubishi and Mazda.

Scion Zeus ads.jpgClassic Figure
But Scion never has reached Toyota’s initial expectations, as sales tailed off to only 46,000 last year after peaking at 173,000 in 2006, in large part due to how hard the Great Recession hit young buyers. Moreover, Scion’s quirky models, especially in their second generations, haven’t been able to distance themselves enough from the competition. One chicken-or-egg problem has been Toyota’s lack of marketing conviction behind Scion: It spent only $20 million in measured media last year on Scion compared with $888 million on Toyota and $211 million on Lexus, according to Advertising Age; that amounted to only about $438 per Scion unit sold in 2010 compared with $597 per Toyota and $920 per Lexus. As a result, neither has Scion become a particularly effective feeder for the Toyota brand that is favored by baby boomers.

Scion’s Zeus campaign is aimed nominally at bolstering tC, a coupe that is by far Scion’s highest-volume model these days. Perhaps part of the thinking was that older Millennials may have been fortunate enough actually to learn about Greek mythology in a U.S. education system that has been getting away from teaching classicism. Only mildly humorous, the online-only ads, titled “On the Set with Zeus,” depict a Greek king of deities who is helpless, even in his omnipotence, to figure out a coffee maker or to woo a human actress, even while he makes fun of “Greek yogurt” and brags about his “timeshare” on Mount Olympus.

The ad that also recently began appearing on TV, on young-skewing cable-TV networks such as Comedy Central and Spike, is the one that most highlights Scion tC, in a “high-voltage” bright yellow model “created” by Zeus. Scion is selling only 2,200 of this 2012 tC Release Series 7.0 (top), each also featuring contrasting black sideview mirrors, a customized body kit by Total Racing Development (TRD), push-button ignition for the first time in any Scion vehicle, glossy black-alloy rims and other design accents “inspired” by Zeus. There’s also an original interactive game built around the “halo” model that has debuted with the new iPad edition of The Onion.

071211 Scion Sales - AO.jpgCaring Is Sharing
“Usually we might do online flyers and handouts at auto shows when we’re introducing a halo version,” Peacock said. “Until now, we’ve never even featured one in a billboard. But we wanted to try something new. Also, the car has a beautiful yellow color, and it really pops. It has a really good package, so we figured, ‘Why don’t we just put this up there and make it the centerpiece of a campaign and see what we’ve got?’”

In the past, Scion has appealed to its really young demographic with marketing stunts such as forehead ads and even its own record label. Now, such guerrilla tactics have become more mainstream, and social-media innovations have narrowed the gap between Scion and other brands in terms of marketing risk-taking. Perhaps surprisingly, never before had Scion plunged into a pitch based as much on humor as the Zeus campaign, Peacock said. Yet part of the reason it has done so now is social media. “As you look at sharing and ‘liking’ content, people do that more often with humorous than with ‘cool’ content,” he said. “We figured this could serve about 10 different masters. There’s more shareability potential than before.”

The Zeus campaign provides an interesting contrast with Ford’s recent online-only video series featuring “Focus Doug.” While the cocky Zeus character is a cad with women and weirdly attired, just like Ford’s orange hand puppet, Doug’s humor is sharper – and the Ford online-only campaign does far more to promote the actual vehicle and its features. In most of the Zeus spots, for instance, tC barely shows up – there is far more attention paid to the god’s preening of his beard.

First half 2011 Box car sales.jpgAccording To Plan
Peacock said there’s a reason tC itself is a relatively shadowy presence in the online-only videos. “Let’s say someone initially wasn’t attracted to tC, but because of the campaign exposure, it would give them more of a tendency to investigate and discover tC,” he said. “We’re trying to attract the kind of person who looks at comedy web sites. That hits a broader range of people than just a car advertisement.”

And for right now, the tC coupe definitely is Scion’s focus. The boxy xB model actually was Scion’s best-seller of its three nameplates last year, but sales dropped nearly 20 percent from 2009, to about 20,400 units, thanks to the recession and as a spate of other “little-box” models from competitors, such as Nissan Cube and Kia Soul, eroded xB’s design edge. Last 2012 Scion iq.jpgyear, tC sold only about 15,200 units, off 15 percent, making it Scion’s best performer on a year-to-year basis. Sales of the third model, xD, declined by 30 percent last year, to about 10,100 units.

Last fall, Scion executives said they hoped to more than double sales of tC with a 2011-model-year redesign, a larger and more powerful update, that went on sale on October 1. At that time, they said, they planned to target Scion’s “traditional” demographic. So far, their plan seems to be working: First-half tC sales in the United States were nearly double year-earlier figures, at nearly 13,000 units, far eclipsing those of the xB and xD and fueling the brand’s year-over-year showing. Adding further optimism is the planned fall launch of a new model, the iQ “microcar” hatchback (right), with a unique “3 + 1” seating arrangement that’s been well received in Europe and other markets – and, reportedly, an FR-S rear-drive coupe next spring.

Dale Buss: is a frequent contributor to AutoObserver.com.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It took a car that was unique, tiny yet had a lot of space, and had amazing gas mileage, and turned into a car that was none of those. It now looks another compact, and the gas mileage is pretty mediocre for a subcompact.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently the opel astra "coupe"(as a buick verano coupe) and Mercedes A-class coupe will both be making their way over here.

Hot hatches coming in by way of luxury brands. Can't see them doing too well. Hopefully companies don't assume that because nobody buys $30,000 hot hatches, nobody wants hot hatches at all. It's a shame ford doesn't try to put the fiesta coupe or Ka up against the fiat 500 here. The base fiat 500 is $15,500, whereas the fiesta starts at 13,200 but is sedan/5-door only.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Internet Meme posted:

It took a car that was unique, tiny yet had a lot of space, and had amazing gas mileage, and turned into a car that was none of those. It now looks another compact, and the gas mileage is pretty mediocre for a subcompact.

You are wrong on every point.

It's still very unique, doesn't look like anything else, and has great mileage for what it is - a mini-minivan. It's not even a subcompact, for goodness sake - they stopped importing the bB (on the Yaris/Echo platform) as the xB and started importing the Corolla Rumion (a Corolla box with a Camry motor) as an xB instead.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Ah yes, I eagerly await the day my new WRX comes with 20" Advan RS straight from the showroom floor.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

About that Subaru WRX/Impreza split and the resultant coupe, here's one "artist's" impression:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's not even a subcompact, for goodness sake - they stopped importing the bB (on the Yaris/Echo platform) as the xB and started importing the Corolla Rumion (a Corolla box with a Camry motor) as an xB instead.

That's exactly my point. Some of the best things about the original are exactly what they changed. The xB went from being a roomy subcompact to being a mini mini-van, just as you said. The appeal for many was the fact that it was a subcompact with ridiculous amounts of space. Now it's a glorified PT Cruzer/HHR.

The car gets 24/28 mpg EPA which is mediocre at best. The Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, Ford Focus, tC, hell, even a Jetta wagon gets better gas mileage.

I'm glad you're happy with your car, but the second gen is the most stereotypically americanized car I've ever seen.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 27, 2011

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Speaking of hot hatches, looks like Fiat will be debuting the 500 Abarth stateside at the LA Auto Show.

quote:

Autoblog posted:

Social media allows for news to travel fast. Case in point, Fiat just sent out word via its official Twitter account minutes ago confirming that its U.S. spec 500 Abarth performance model will debut at the 2011 Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

We recently had the chance to drive the European version, but this news allows us to commence being impatient for the day we can drive the 'murican trim – especially since we hear it will feature a more powerful 1.4-liter turbo with Multiair technology than the model currently filling up Mini Cooper mirrors in the EU. We hear it should produce around 175 horsepower – a handsome number for such a small, lightweight hatchback.

News Source: Fiat USA via Twitter

If this really happens, it's more tempting to look at a 500 for my next car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's still very unique, doesn't look like anything else, and has great mileage for what it is - a mini-minivan. It's not even a subcompact, for goodness sake - they stopped importing the bB (on the Yaris/Echo platform) as the xB and started importing the Corolla Rumion (a Corolla box with a Camry motor) as an xB instead.

Actually the Scion version came first the Japanese market Toyota version came later (and had much smaller engines)

They made another generation of the smaller bB for Japan

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Solar Coaster posted:

Speaking of hot hatches, looks like Fiat will be debuting the 500 Abarth stateside at the LA Auto Show.

If this really happens, it's more tempting to look at a 500 for my next car.

Well it's definitely happening we just don't know when it will go on sale, rumor is Q1 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Internet Meme posted:

That's exactly my point. Some of the best things about the original are exactly what they changed. The xB went from being a roomy subcompact to being a mini mini-van, just as you said. The appeal for many was the fact that it was a subcompact with ridiculous amounts of space. Now it's a glorified PT Cruzer/HHR.

That's a lot of glory.

quote:

The car gets 24/28 mpg EPA which is mediocre at best. The Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, Ford Focus, tC, hell, even a Jetta wagon gets better gas mileage.

I'm glad you're happy with your car, but the second gen is the most stereotypically americanized car I've ever seen.

When I had it, I regularly got 31-32 mixed mileage. That's fine for something that I could completely fill with amplifiers and drums and still move at a brisk pace.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The original xB was extremely useful but nothing could make up for the fact that it was/is ugly as sin. Maximum utility design = :barf:

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When I had it, I regularly got 31-32 mixed mileage. That's fine for something that I could completely fill with amplifiers and drums and still move at a brisk pace.

I usually get 28-30 out of my Vibe with the same setup. The 2.4 is a fun little engine :shobon:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Matlock posted:

I usually get 28-30 out of my Vibe with the same setup. The 2.4 is a fun little engine :shobon:

That's... not terribly impressive, in my opinion. I get around 26 mpg in my Mustang, again in mixed usage, driving with no concern for fuel economy. If I were driving a lighter car with a smaller engine, I would certainly want to see a larger improvement than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Throatwarbler posted:

I think people do like them, they just like the Kia Soul better. It's cheaper and has more bold styling. Targeting young people is a lost cause anyway, no one under 30 has any money or a job, people who have money and jobs want Camaros.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/07/by-zeus-now-scion-pursues-thirty-somethings.html

Yeah this, sort of. Scions were always the kind of car you ended up with because you were 17, knew nothing about cars and dad would only pay for something cheap and Japanese. That market is small and dad will probably just buy a Versa instead.

If you have money in that age group you'll probably end with something like an Audi A4 or BMW 3-series. I looked at the Scion tC when I was 20 but I ultimately went with a used luxury car (08' C300) because a Mercedes is much more impressive.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 27, 2011