Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them

The Jumpoff posted:

Pretty sure the HOA is the Home Owner's Association.

But I'm pretty interested in why they're only the second worst...

Take this exact same scenario.

Substitute "Toby Keith jingoistic kill-all-ragheads crap" for "metal and hair bands."

Also add like 7 kids, none of them older than 13. The 8-year-old was tasked with managing and lighting their huge illegal fireworks show (think "the parts of the firework stand separated by a thick black curtain") every year until the cops put a stop to it before somebody lost a finger.

Once the kids reach 9, the mother sends them out to work in the neighborhood to help afford the mortgage. (The kids are, somehow, really well-mannered and smart when they're not handed a lighter and goaded into exploding poo poo. And it's kid stuff like weeding and mowing lawns and shoveling snow.) What does she do? Well, near as I can see, she stands out on the porch with a cigarette, shrieking into a cell phone, alternately pausing to shriek obscenities at her children - which is pretty much the maximum amount of supervision the kids have. Since the police here don't care about anything short of physical abuse, the neighborhood helps out and we encourage the kids when we can.

They also are selling their house, but they were smart enough to redo their front lawn for curb appeal, repairing it from where the dad drove home drunk from the bar and decided the tree was a good parking place. A few times.

I figure being a petty racist loudmouth busybody isn't as bad as a drunk-driving bad parent.

It sounds like a trashy neighborhood, but everyone else is really nice and there's just minor stuff nobody reasonable gives a poo poo about, like weeds in the lawn or whatever. Our HOA does nothing about that because for $20/month, the HOA is just supposed to throw barbecues and shut the gently caress up about lawn edging. This is kind of a rednecky town anyway and tends to bring out the latent trashy tendencies in everyone. And when your development used to market itself with "no money down! Just don't start a meth lab!" desperation tactics at the height of the housing bubble, you're going to attract a wide variety of people. I think the cyborg retired rock stars across the street from me are worth the tradeoff.

vvv Oh, God, I don't even live in the south. A lot of little western towns are like this.

AltoidsAddict has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Jul 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

AltoidsAddict posted:

Take this exact same scenario.

Substitute "Toby Keith jingoistic kill-all-ragheads crap" for "metal and hair bands."

Also add like 7 kids, none of them older than 13. The 8-year-old was tasked with managing and lighting their huge illegal fireworks show (think "the parts of the firework stand separated by a thick black curtain") every year until the cops put a stop to it before somebody lost a finger.

Once the kids reach 9, the mother sends them out to work in the neighborhood to help afford the mortgage. (The kids are, somehow, really well-mannered and smart when they're not handed a lighter and goaded into exploding poo poo. And it's kid stuff like weeding and mowing lawns and shoveling snow.) What does she do? Well, near as I can see, she stands out on the porch with a cigarette, shrieking into a cell phone, alternately pausing to shriek obscenities at her children - which is pretty much the maximum amount of supervision the kids have. Since the police here don't care about anything short of physical abuse, the neighborhood helps out and we encourage the kids when we can.

They also are selling their house, but they were smart enough to redo their front lawn for curb appeal, repairing it from where the dad drove home drunk from the bar and decided the tree was a good parking place. A few times.

I figure being a petty racist loudmouth busybody isn't as bad as a drunk-driving bad parent.

It sounds like a trashy neighborhood, but everyone else is really nice and there's just minor stuff nobody reasonable gives a poo poo about, like weeds in the lawn or whatever. Our HOA does nothing about that because for $20/month, the HOA is just supposed to throw barbecues and shut the gently caress up about lawn edging. This is kind of a rednecky town anyway and tends to bring out the latent trashy tendencies in everyone. And when your development used to market itself with "no money down! Just don't start a meth lab!" desperation tactics at the height of the housing bubble, you're going to attract a wide variety of people. I think the cyborg retired rock stars across the street from me are worth the tradeoff.

Just wow. I live in the south as well, so I know how that stuff is (I hate people with boat trailers so much).

CONTENT: Despite being only 2 hours into the day, I've had a pretty good day because I've reconnected with some old friends, and made some plans for college. Productivity is my name apparently when I'm sleep deprived.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
My day was awesome because I've done absolutely nothing. It's Saturday so my day has been alternating napping and playing TF2. It's been a long week so this is amazing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My Egyptian mouthbrooder is holding eggs. I found JellyBelly BellyFlops at the loving DOLLAR STORE and am tasting 101 different flavors in cheap bags.

I knew I should have bought more than 5 bags.

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009
My fiance bought me a new laptop to replace my old PowerBook G4!!!! I have the internet again!

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

I hadn't seen my best friend in a couple of weeks so I drove to see him and together we watched Captain America :patriot: That movie was pretty great.

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!
Last day at a lovely job that I've held for three years too long! Last day of working with homophobes, misogynists, and racists! I'M FREEEEEEEE

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Bought an SNES off eBay for a good price. Going to coax the new neighbors to visit often. :dance:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wife woke me up over the weekend.

This is how I responded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53G588QPB8w

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011
My day started at 0545 wake up, I was at the hospital in the OR early around 0615. I successfully intubated my first patient! Then after finishing up the case in the OR I went to the gym and had a great work out (benched the most my weak rear end has ever benched with dumb bells). Then I went to Walmart and bought 6 pounds of chicken for $7.81. Pretty much it has been an all around awesome day.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

I feel the need to be glass-half full today. I actually had a really difficult, emotionally-taxing day. My day started out with having to get a brain MRI which was incredibly scary. By the time I got home I was a wreck but then I got to talk to one of my favorite people. It's amazing how all it takes is getting to talk to that someone special to make everything else seem better. :) So ya, my day is officially now awesome.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
My yesterday was awesome because I hooked up with a girl who is the Captain Planet of women, if the Planeteer's elements are shortness, giant boobs, vaginal orgasms, roughness and sass.

My day will be awesome today because I'm seeing her again after work.

My past month or so has been awesome because realizing that women who I would otherwise consider out of my league being into me has caused me to re-evaluate what exactly my league is.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
My PO called on the phone, and said the phone call will count as our monthly check-in.
:woop:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Got my new car registered! Going on a road trip after work to my buddy's lake and taking it easy for the next 5 days :cool:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I didn't have to work very long today. That's good enough for me!

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I get to take an extra long lunch which I am going to use to go get a chicken baguette at a Vietnamese place down the street before heading to my favorite coffee shop for some tea and book time. Then, perhaps, I may go visit the shop of a very cute boy I met this past weekend just because.

I am also defying the weather and wearing a cute sundress because I can and it looks great and gently caress the clouds.

And I get to interview my possible replacement today. I'm hoping she's a good fit because I really want to start my new responsibilities already.

allcowseatgrass
Sep 30, 2007
I slept for 9 hours not on a saturday for the first time in years.
Then, since I still had 2 hours til work, I cooked a pound of bacon.
And now I got to work super early and find out the promotion I've been seeking is going to happen.

life is good.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

webster876 posted:

My yesterday was awesome because I hooked up with a girl who is the Captain Planet of women, if the Planeteer's elements are shortness, giant boobs, vaginal orgasms, roughness and sass.

My day will be awesome today because I'm seeing her again after work.

My past month or so has been awesome because realizing that women who I would otherwise consider out of my league being into me has caused me to re-evaluate what exactly my league is.

Short girls with big boobs are always the best. My day has been awesome because I kicked rear end at work today, making my coworkers sweat and strain to keep me fed with work. I found a place that sells sugar free slurpees (diabetic). Covered in grime and metal dust I was hit on and got a date from a cute cashier. I was also given last weeks and this week's trading post for free from said cashier. I made it home in less than thirty minutes for the first time in two weeks. I found a niceish '95 ex500 for 1800$ in the current trading post. I am now watching doctor who (David tennant, any other doctor is a sham) and flirting with cashier. Today. Is. Good. Also shower G&T it is happening right now.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

I got a second interview!!!! :woop: I'm one step closer to not becoming one of the many unemployed post-grad's in a month!

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Also shower G&T it is happening right now.

Taking it up a notch - nice!

Today, I got my teeth professionally whitened. Totally worth the pain. Found out my future father-in-law has been really generous and basically deserves just about anything he wants next Father's Day. Packed up some more boxes for the move because the weather cooled down enough and spent the evening watching soccer with my dad and then the baseball game. Everything these past few weeks - months, really - has been so smooth I'm hoping I don't get used to it and get soft/selfish.

Christe Eleison has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Jul 28, 2011

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I found the long list of immunizations I've had, which means I'll get to go to college after all without getting a ton of shots!

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

I finally met my new baby cousin. She's three months old, I hadn't seen her before now due to various stuff but my uncle came round to ours today with her and his fiancee. It was awesome because my uncle is only a few years older than me (I'm 24, he's 32) so we pretty much grew up together and it's so cool to see him with this little baby in his arms all 'yeah this is my little girl' :3:. She's gorgeous, and he has another daughter who's six and who is the smartest little girl I've ever met.

Nothing like adorable kids to buoy up your emotions

happyflurple has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Jul 28, 2011

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I think I got a job at the smoke shop that called me yesterday. I went in for an interview today and she said I was very nice, knowledgeable, and would be very fun to work with. She also said the job would be 4 days a week, which is good, since I am only working 1-2 days a week at my other job. Hooray!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Met a good friend who I'd lost contact with on account of him going kind of crazy. He's cool and uncrazy now, yay.

Gilbert
May 4, 2009
My 10 month old son said 'mooom' at me!!

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
Ahaha never mind. I should have known that nothing good could come out of this godawful year.

I hope somebody else who loves her gets to see her in my place.

Azrael Alexander has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jul 28, 2011

Acer
Dec 20, 2004
Inter arma silent leges.
Briefed a Major General about my job yesterday.

Apparently, he was impressed with me and my abilities so he took down my name during my brief. This afternoon, one of the E-8s at my unit told me the General was impressed and wanted to know more about me, how I got to where I am, etc. Not sure why he wants to know (I don't want to be a general's bitch / aide).

It was just nice knowing that I impressed someone who has seen nearly the full spectrum of our military's capabilities. :frogc00l:

(p.s. after I briefed him, I promptly explained to him why I am not re-enlisting. I hope he's not going to somehow force me to stay in :negative:)

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

Azrael Alexander posted:

Ahaha never mind. I should have known that nothing good could come out of this godawful year.

I hope somebody else who loves her gets to see her in my place.

Aw. What happened? You sounded so happy, too :(

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

ThreeFish posted:

Aw. What happened? You sounded so happy, too :(

I was happier than I'd been all year. :smith: Even though I'm 20 and should be able to go to a drat concert if I want to, I still live with my mother and she won't allow me to go out of state (I'm in OH, the concert is in PA). I could still just leave on my own, and face the consequences later, but there would be hell to pay. Until I can get out on my own that's how it has to be. Plus she's apparently offended by the fact that I was going to pay for my friend's ticket.

I'm crossing my fingers that some miracle will happen and I'll still make it there, somehow. But I'm not going to get my hopes up.

:(

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Day started off seemingly terrible, had 4 projects dumped on me at 8am.

By 8:46 I had finished 2
By 11:30 I had knocked out another one
Lunch was GYROS!
1:45 ALL projects were completed, my existing quarterly project done and I got my CEH certification in the mail!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

Azrael Alexander posted:

:glomp:

For content:

We installed an above ground pool on Monday and I've learned that I am completely anal about my pool water. I've never had a pool before and there's a learning curve (for me, anyway) to all the chemicals. Anyway, I took a cup of my water to a local pool business today for testing and advice. The lady there was incredibly friendly, very helpful, and didn't try to sell me a bunch of expensive things even though she could tell I had no idea what I was really doing. It restored my faith in people a little. And she gained a pool chemical customer for life.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
Thrice Bonanza!

Got tickets to their live concert on August 13 AND they released their new album single "Yellow Belly" And it's AWESOME! :hellyeah:

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
Two words: sex and pizza.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I will get to see my girlfriend in only a few days. Those will be a glorious, glorious few days.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

My mom drove up and I got to spend the day with her. We're close but live far enough away that I don't get to see her that often. It was nice because I got to show her around my job. :) Plus I finally found an outfit to wear for a second interview I have Monday.

e: Annnnnnddddd I just got an e-mail about another job I applied to. :woop: They want me to call them on Monday.

Lackadaisical has a new favorite as of 07:20 on Jul 30, 2011

TheMadStork
Oct 29, 2007

How about the time I chipped my tooth on the urinal, what was so fucking comical about that?
I live in the fraternity house on campus that is kind of known for being "the lovely one". Found out today that the current rumor is that we had a cat but the cat was eaten by giant rats that live in our basement. I poo poo you not.

ornery bean
Nov 7, 2010

My day owned because I got to attend Badfish at Erie Canal Harbor. :2bong:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

TheMadStork posted:

I live in the fraternity house on campus that is kind of known for being "the lovely one". Found out today that the current rumor is that we had a cat but the cat was eaten by giant rats that live in our basement. I poo poo you not.

Back when i was a pizza guy, I always had to make deliveries to "the lovely" frat house. Whatever, they were good tippers. But one night I was standing outside their door with their pizzas, I reached out to lean on their porch when the rotted old wood gave way and I tumbled over backward onto my rear end. I really wouldn't have been surprised if I heard they had predatory rats :)

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I registered to vote today! I'm now officially a Democrat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
I just made some loving rainbow cupcakes for my friend's birthday. I'm going to drive out to her place and then we are going to watch TV and eat loving RAINBOW CUPCAKES.

I'm just really excited about the cupcakes you guys.