Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
I'm 23, I have no debt and I know nothing about credit cards/establishing credit. Up until March of this year my parents have supported me financially in all aspects. I moved away, they co-signed for an apartment and I got a full time retail job and have been paying my bills and living paycheck to paycheck successfully. However, they continue to pay for my car insurance and gas, but come August, I'm most likely going to be in charge of that too. I'm worried about not being able to afford the extra load.

What do I need to do to start establishing credit? What's a good source for a complete newbie like me? I don't even own a credit card. Half the terminology you guys are using I don't understand :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Go to the bank or credit union you use and ask to apply for a credit card. Try to get a regular credit card with no annual fee, but if you don't qualify you might have to get a secured credit card. That's when you give them, say, $500 and basically use your CC like a debit card to prove that you're responsible enough to be given actual credit. Eventually you will qualify for a normal credit card.

Start saving now if you're worried you might be in a bind later. Get yourself enough of a buffer that you feel ok for at least a few months.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Dead Pikachu posted:

I'm 23, I have no debt and I know nothing about credit cards/establishing credit. Up until March of this year my parents have supported me financially in all aspects. I moved away, they co-signed for an apartment and I got a full time retail job and have been paying my bills and living paycheck to paycheck successfully. However, they continue to pay for my car insurance and gas, but come August, I'm most likely going to be in charge of that too. I'm worried about not being able to afford the extra load.

What do I need to do to start establishing credit? What's a good source for a complete newbie like me? I don't even own a credit card. Half the terminology you guys are using I don't understand :(

You don’t have to look that hard in this thread to learn how to establish credit, but the way you worded your question you makes me worried. Well not personally because I have no skin in the game. But for you. To be frank, it sounds like you are planning on using credit as a crutch because in August you won’t be able to afford your current lifestyle.

All of us at one time or another have depended on credit when too much life hit us all at once, or take care of one off events. We can debate if debt is always evil or only sometimes evil. But I think everyone would agree that using debt because you can’t afford reoccurring things like car insurance and gas is a problem.

Are you on a budget? How much do you make? What are you spending money on now?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

illcendiary posted:

drat, really? If I just add a few charges onto each of my "inactive" cards, are they magically considered "active" again?

I'm not sure why I stress about my credit score so much since I never take loans out for anything.

Yes, using them again makes them “active”. As inactive accounts, it’s not that they stop counting, but it’s just that they are not weighted as heavily somehow.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Inverse Icarus posted:

There's a little lag when the stocks get purchased and become available in your account, but it's a day or so in my experience.

You can sell them immediately, but then they get taxed as normal income. If you hold the stock for over a year before selling, it is taxed as capital gains (capped at 15% currently).

If you make a lot of money or have a lot of stok to sell, it might make sense to hold it for a year. Then again, look at CSCO right now :(

Yeah, I've run the numbers and since I'm pretty small time money-wise it's worth it just to sell it the next day and not take the risk. Sure the stock could appreciate in value but I'd rather just have a steady 10-12% return every six months. Comes out to a couple grand a year or so.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Dead Pikachu posted:

Do up a budget. I would be less worried about the credit and more about the living paycheque to paycheque. I think it would be a good idea to know how much you are bringing in vs what your expenses are. That is the only way you will know if you can afford it or not come August. Until you do that it's pointless to worry about it because you don't know if you can or not.

If you don't have those numbers, start tracking them or get them from your parents.

asmallrabbit fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 18, 2011

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Just mailed my final car payment. It feels so good!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Omne posted:

Just mailed my final car payment. It feels so good!

Congrats! Do you have any other debt? Get cracking on that! :)

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
So HSBC is threatening me with collections again. I owe $794 on a closed credit card account. I need $119 just to bring it current. The fun part is I have next to no income (about $30/week) and no way to pay them. :toot:

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

devmd01 posted:

Congrats! Do you have any other debt? Get cracking on that! :)

You don't even want to know...

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Omne posted:

You don't even want to know...

Why did you stop updating your blog and posting in the MBA thread? Since you've graduated we need an update on how it all ended up.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Ganon posted:

Why did you stop updating your blog and posting in the MBA thread? Since you've graduated we need an update on how it all ended up.

Haha, I didn't think anyone read that! I'll pop into the thread to give a recap of the second year/job search, but I think the blog is dead.

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

Rurutia posted:

Discover Savings seems to be 1.15% which is barely better than SmartyPig.

I never see this mentioned but I figure it's a common enough membership that people should take note - if you're thinking of doing the Discover Savings Account and you belong to Triple A - be sure to try to go through the Triple A website first to open up your savings account. Although it doesn't apply to certain areas of the country (Im in the Midatlantic and it works for there), many Triple A members get an extra .05% on savings accounts/cds from Discover so 1.2% at the moment for their savings account.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Sorry if this seems incredibly obvious to you guys, or if the exact advice I'm looking for has already been posted somewhere in this forum and I missed it.

Basically, I'm considering a couple options to reduce or eliminate my non-student loan debt. My relevant numbers are like this (right now these are close approximations, I am studying for the bar right now and I haven't sat down and crunched these numbers exactly).

debts
--about 90k in federal student loans because I went to law school because I was a special snowflake (don't do this)
--approximately 14k in credit card debt split among three cards, 2 of which have around 25% APR.
--currently in the grace period of a 12k bar loan that is due to begin repayment in 4 months, variable rate (certain amount over prime, I can get the details if needed) but its currently at 8.9%
--about to finish paying for my car, my car loan is due to be paid off in january, I owe about 1,000 left on it.
--my dog had to have very expensive eye surgery which is about to be paid off, the total bill was over 4k but I only have about 300 dollars left of payments.

assets
--ING Variable Annuity valued at 49k.
--I own a vacation property in Michigan's Upper Peninsula with my brother, my next order of business is to actually obtain the deed (it was left to us by our dad) and see how we own it (joint tenancy or tenancy in common). It's unencumbered but has not been recently appraised. At one point it was appraised at 105,000.
--I start a job on August 15th that pays 50k/yr.

My basic question is, should I just take money from the annuity and pay off (at least) my credit cards? The annuity basically has not made any money while I've had it, it dropped significantly in value with the market and came back to basically being valued at the level of the money I paid into it.

According to the person at Oppenheimer I've been dealing with, this is supposed to be a long-term investment for my retirement and it contains various provisions which I need to analyze, such as apparently being "guaranteed to double in 10 years" that I don't currently understand. This was bought with money from my father's estate on his recommendation, I was a basically a kid at the time (22, I'm 31 now) and didn't question anything. I don't think I would have chosen this instrument now because of the administration costs and because honestly something more liquid would probably have worked better. I have discovered that I can withdraw money without an actual "penalty" other than a tax withholding, however as this was bought with money that was paid to me as distributions from my dad's 401(k) and I'm pretty sure I already paid the taxes on it.

This year has been my final year in law school and I have made very little money, I only had a student clerk job at 20 hours a week, 10 dollars an hour for half the year. I'll make some money when I start my law job, but since I'm married and my wife is in graduate school, I'm hesitant to just keep chipping away at our debts with pay, especially because we have basically no savings and no open credit lines.

My idea was to take a distribution from the annuity and pay (at least) the credit cards, which would leave approximately 30k in the account and eliminate the really high interest debt. Does this seem like a good strategy? I had also considered looking into a mortgage on the vacation property and using the money to pay off all other debts than the federal student loans, which I hope to manage with IBR and public-interest loan forgiveness since I work for the state government. But I'm hesitant to encumber the property and a lot of factors would have to considered before going that route, including if it is even feasible or doable.

Sorry for the length, I would really appreciate any advice. I've spent a good portion of my adult life being careless and/or unthinking about my financial situation, and I'd like to change that.

J Miracle fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 22, 2011

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
A VA doesn't make sense for you. Cash it out, pay off the credit cards.

Also try to sell your part of the vacation home.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Chin Strap posted:

A VA doesn't make sense for you. Cash it out, pay off the credit cards.

Also try to sell your part of the vacation home.

Succinct, but I agree. You want to simplify your finances here, you have a lot going on in a period of time where you should be setting solid roots. A VA doesn't make sense (for mostly anyone) and holding it would incur opportunity costs as you could reinvest the money wiser and cheaper, or pay down debt (the preferred choice in my opinion). Unless you guys have an emotional attachment to that property in the UP, do what you can to offload it. The UP isn't appreciating rapidly, and you can always go back and buy a house up there when your finances are strong that suits your needs, not your fathers.

Best of luck!

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Thanks very much guys, I'll take your advice about the VA...my wife and I actually ARE pretty attached to the property and spend time there in the summer so I don't think I'll be selling it, but I appreciate the advice. It's been in the family a long time and all that. The VA though, maybe I should just sell it and pre-pay off my bar loan too? I would still have a piece of it left after that that I could stick in savings/money market.

EDIT: Bar loan has no prepayment penalty.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

J Miracle posted:

Thanks very much guys, I'll take your advice about the VA...my wife and I actually ARE pretty attached to the property and spend time there in the summer so I don't think I'll be selling it, but I appreciate the advice. It's been in the family a long time and all that. The VA though, maybe I should just sell it and pre-pay off my bar loan too? I would still have a piece of it left after that that I could stick in savings/money market.

EDIT: Bar loan has no prepayment penalty.

Do your other loans have prepayment penalties? Unless you're having cash flow issues, I'd recommend applying 100% of the VA (less any amount needed for taxes, but I don't believe there should be any) toward debt. Get yourself lean, so that way everything is less stressful.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
I'm 21 and I've made some really poor choices since I was 18 and needless to say I have learned my lesson. I've tried moving out twice and racked up debt both times.

Debt
-Around 14K in student loans, but I have paid for the past few classes on my own so this may change when I transfer to finish my bachelors this spring. They already want to start collecting since I'm only taking one class (if I can afford it). I applied for a deferment because I'm unemployed.

-Credit Cards: I have $1,800 spread across 3 cards. One is a Dell card for a laptop I got when I moved, The other 2 are a discover and Fifth Third Card with $500 limits. Discover is maxed out and the other is very close.

-Sprint ETF Fee $130.00. I closed my sprint account because they wouldn't replace my broken Palm without paying $100 bucks so I just cancelled my contract with them. I plan to take care of this first.

-Unpaid Rent and Damages $2,500. When I was 18, I moved out with friends and I lasted about 5 months and went back home. One person stayed on the lease and since my name was still on it, he trashed the property and didn't pay 2 months worth of rent, so they went after me, and the other 2 people on the lease. I refuse to pay anything, so it's just sitting on my credit report and they occasional try calling me, but I haven't spoken to them in almost a year. Since I forgot to take my name off the lease, I got screwed. I thought about fighting this but I don't even know where to begin.

I really have no assets at all, except a Roth IRA I started last year which has only $690. I have a car that's in my fathers name, but he's helping me until I get on my feet by making payments, we are probably going to sell it. Got about 2 years left on the payments.

I'm unemployed and because I was fired from my last job and I didn't qualify for benefits. I'm back at home and my parents are supporting me the best they can. I managed to get an interview with a local PC repair shop and said they are would like to bring me on in two weeks if everything goes as planned with their opening of a new store. I'm not taking this as a 100% guarantee, so I'm still looking for work. My only source of income right now is doing side jobs for a rich realtor that my father knows, like staining docks/garage floors, pulling out shrubs and other manual labor stuff for $9 hour cash. I just started this the other day and I was told he can give me around 20 hours a week. It's something at least.

I'm trying to get rid of my laptop since I don't even need it now that I am back home. Also, I may just get off my friend's Verizon plan since they recently made a change to their contract and just get a pre-paid phone. I'll most likely pay off my discover card after that sprint bill since that has the highest APR right now.

I realize that due to some really poor planning I've put myself in a huge hole and I want to get out before I get any deeper. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MalConstant posted:

I'm 21 and I've made some really poor choices since I was 18 and needless to say I have learned my lesson. I've tried moving out twice and racked up debt both times.

Debt
-Around 14K in student loans, but I have paid for the past few classes on my own so this may change when I transfer to finish my bachelors this spring. They already want to start collecting since I'm only taking one class (if I can afford it). I applied for a deferment because I'm unemployed.

-Credit Cards: I have $1,800 spread across 3 cards. One is a Dell card for a laptop I got when I moved, The other 2 are a discover and Fifth Third Card with $500 limits. Discover is maxed out and the other is very close.

-Sprint ETF Fee $130.00. I closed my sprint account because they wouldn't replace my broken Palm without paying $100 bucks so I just cancelled my contract with them. I plan to take care of this first.

-Unpaid Rent and Damages $2,500. When I was 18, I moved out with friends and I lasted about 5 months and went back home. One person stayed on the lease and since my name was still on it, he trashed the property and didn't pay 2 months worth of rent, so they went after me, and the other 2 people on the lease. I refuse to pay anything, so it's just sitting on my credit report and they occasional try calling me, but I haven't spoken to them in almost a year. Since I forgot to take my name off the lease, I got screwed. I thought about fighting this but I don't even know where to begin.

I really have no assets at all, except a Roth IRA I started last year which has only $690. I have a car that's in my fathers name, but he's helping me until I get on my feet by making payments, we are probably going to sell it. Got about 2 years left on the payments.

I'm unemployed and because I was fired from my last job and I didn't qualify for benefits. I'm back at home and my parents are supporting me the best they can. I managed to get an interview with a local PC repair shop and said they are would like to bring me on in two weeks if everything goes as planned with their opening of a new store. I'm not taking this as a 100% guarantee, so I'm still looking for work. My only source of income right now is doing side jobs for a rich realtor that my father knows, like staining docks/garage floors, pulling out shrubs and other manual labor stuff for $9 hour cash. I just started this the other day and I was told he can give me around 20 hours a week. It's something at least.

I'm trying to get rid of my laptop since I don't even need it now that I am back home. Also, I may just get off my friend's Verizon plan since they recently made a change to their contract and just get a pre-paid phone. I'll most likely pay off my discover card after that sprint bill since that has the highest APR right now.

I realize that due to some really poor planning I've put myself in a huge hole and I want to get out before I get any deeper. Any advice would be appreciated.
You ought to start your own thread. You have a lot of issues going on here (mainly a lack of income and the wrong attitude regarding debts) and there is a long road ahead of yourself just to get back to even.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

MalConstant posted:

:words:

The good news is that so far you have not dug yourself into that much of a disaster. The bad news is its because 3 years isn’t long enough to dig an enormous hole as much as you have tried to dig. You have bought things you don’t need on credit, signed your name in lots of places where it has come back to bite you because you were not paying attention.

If you start a thread, you will have my blessing. But you will have to stick with it. It must be said that you may get conflicting information, trolls, and goons who know little more than you do try to give you advice. We have a mixed record with these personal finance logs, but they are not for the thin skinned.

It goes without saying that you need to be on a written budget, you need to get yourself current on any accounts that are still open and have not gone to collections, make just minimum payments until you build up an emergency fund. I don't care if they are at 29% and it takes you an extra couple months to pay them. It wasn't 29% that created the hole you are in, it was a pattern of behavior and this is what you need to change. You are practically unbankable which means that you won’t be able to get a loan or a new card if you need money, having money in the bank is the difference between something being inconvenient and something being desperate. When it comes to finances, desperate and stupid are joined at the hip and desperate is what sets people up to bounce from crisis to crisis.

You can change this, but if you don't the only difference between a $5000 hole and a $50,000 hole is 5 years.

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 10, 2017

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
edit: nm

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 26, 2011

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wacky posted:

Tomorrow, I'm going to default on my credit card. I'm floating close to max and fees will push me over my limit.

Going over your limit is not at all the same thing as defaulting but will have a minor to moderate negative impact as a maxed account in good standing.

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 10, 2017

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Is there any consensus on whether or not renter's insurance is worthwhile? It came up because my girlfriend and I are moving and were ordering a U-Haul and considering getting U-Haul's insurance ($15). It was suggested to get renter's insurance as it would cover the move as well. Is this worth it? I got a quote that comes out to $111/year (~ 1% of yearly rent + utilites). That seems really cheap but we don't own that much stuff and the area isn't prone to natural disasters or anything. Any advice? I'm having a hard time doing the cost-benefit analysis.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Yes it is worth it, and in fact, many of the apartments I've been looking at require you to have it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Renters' insurance is cheap enough that you should get it, even if you don't live where there are lots of natural disasters. Fire and robbery can and do happen in all kinds of places.

You think you don't own that much stuff, but take a second to look around you and imagine replacing literally everything in the room, electronics, clothing (your entire wardrobe), furniture, books, housewares... Yeah, it's a lot more than you think. Maybe not the $20k your policy offers, but not so far off as to be cavalier about it, either.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

theDoubleH posted:

Is there any consensus on whether or not renter's insurance is worthwhile? It came up because my girlfriend and I are moving and were ordering a U-Haul and considering getting U-Haul's insurance ($15). It was suggested to get renter's insurance as it would cover the move as well. Is this worth it? I got a quote that comes out to $111/year (~ 1% of yearly rent + utilites). That seems really cheap but we don't own that much stuff and the area isn't prone to natural disasters or anything. Any advice? I'm having a hard time doing the cost-benefit analysis.

My building requires it. It has some good stuff, like if my bike is ever destroyed (in an accident while I'm riding it, or a car smooshes it while parked), or it is stolen from my building (possibly from elsewhere too) it is covered. It also covers my wife's and my wedding rings against loss or theft.

Hufflepuff or bust! fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 28, 2011

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

wacky posted:

Tomorrow, I'm going to default on my credit card. I'm floating close to max and fees will push me over my limit.

It's been a stressful time because my first paycheck I got before direct deposit so it has to get across the country on the lowest class of USPS mail (already been like 5 days). It will probably arrive just in time for my second paycheck which will indeed be directly deposited.

I called up Citi the other day and just talked to the guy. He was really friendly and said that this was my first minor offense in 4 years and he even made a note on my account that if for some reason my APRs skyrocket that I should be immediately sent to a manager to have them brought down (so I can call them back after the moment of truth). He says immediately, the charges incurred would not break $35, it's APR and the like I have to worry about.

Living beyond your means does not pay off. Now I have a job in which I can live within the means I was living in, but have to pull back so that I can pay for the times I was living at those means on credit. It's calming though, knowing that you can finally start making real dents. But it's stressful when your paycheck hasn't yet arrived and you are dwindling on your funds. PS: Not planning on living paycheck to paycheck with my new budget so I hope this is the last time for a while I'm actually worried until payday since it's my first.

I know you asked this a few days ago, but you deserve some gentle picking on. It is also a teachable moment, so I don’t mention anything out of meanness or of a hope that you get trolled.

I hit the little question mark by your name to see the previous posts you made in this thread. The way I’m reading it is you are on the edge, but you have been on the edge for so long it doesn’t feel like it anymore. But when you have non existent savings and so little access to cash that a check that hasn’t arrived snail mail threatens to have a credit card blow up in your face, that is by definition living on the edge. Reading your previous posts, you are full of optimism that you will eventually start to pay off this debt. I hope you can, and obviously having a paycheck will help big time.

That said, you have to be intentional about this. Its not hard to find people who have been working and getting paychecks for 5, 10, 25 years and still have tons of credit card debt. They are called “normal”. Life will continue to happen, there will always be a more hopeful tomorrow when you will be making more money, when there isn’t as much going on, etc. Frankly reading your story, I’m not agreeing 100% with your priorities. I’m getting whiplash as you are excited that you have good credit, then worried that it might not be good, then afraid it’s not good enough to get an apartment, but then optimistic that your dad’s is. You are not particularly concerned with your debt amount. However it is a vastly greater concern that you are utilizing 99% of it, which again your primary concern is how it looks on your credit.

Even now, I’m not sure you are learning the right lesson. You are relieved that this will not be a devastating blow to your credit. The fee and what they will do to your rate are almost incidental. Meanwhile you jerk back from crisis to relief, back to general worry. So I hope you can pay this, that you think more about your finances and less about your credit, and depend on yourself to provide, not depend on FICO to provide.

Of course if I'm wrong about anything let me know.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

kaishek posted:

It also covers my wife and my wedding rings against loss or theft.

Is it expensive to find insurance that covers lost/stolen wives?

Seconding (thirding... fourthing maybe) renter's insurance. You never realize just how much poo poo you own until you have to replace it all.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dragyn posted:

Is it expensive to find insurance that covers lost/stolen wives?

Very, the risk of fraudulent claims is incredibly high.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The good news is that so far you have not dug yourself into that much of a disaster. The bad news is its because 3 years isn’t long enough to dig an enormous hole as much as you have tried to dig. You have bought things you don’t need on credit, signed your name in lots of places where it has come back to bite you because you were not paying attention.

If you start a thread, you will have my blessing. But you will have to stick with it. It must be said that you may get conflicting information, trolls, and goons who know little more than you do try to give you advice. We have a mixed record with these personal finance logs, but they are not for the thin skinned.

It goes without saying that you need to be on a written budget, you need to get yourself current on any accounts that are still open and have not gone to collections, make just minimum payments until you build up an emergency fund. I don't care if they are at 29% and it takes you an extra couple months to pay them. It wasn't 29% that created the hole you are in, it was a pattern of behavior and this is what you need to change. You are practically unbankable which means that you won’t be able to get a loan or a new card if you need money, having money in the bank is the difference between something being inconvenient and something being desperate. When it comes to finances, desperate and stupid are joined at the hip and desperate is what sets people up to bounce from crisis to crisis.

You can change this, but if you don't the only difference between a $5000 hole and a $50,000 hole is 5 years.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start a thread once I get a reliable source of income, which is hopefully very soon if these interviews work out!

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

theDoubleH posted:

It's important to note that the type of coverage offered by U-Haul and other moving companies is different than renter's insurance.

The former covers damage to your items no matter how the damage is caused, as long as it happens during the move (e.g. that bookshelf didn't have that gouge in the back before it went on the moving van). The latter only covers items that disappear during a move, i.e. you paid two guys to move your stuff and the van never showed up at your new address. You would only get money paid out after you filed a police report.

The info I have is from my Allstate insurance agent, so other companies it might be different. In any case, renter's insurance is totally worth it. You wouldn't pass on home insurance if you owned a home, why would you pass on renter's? It's worth the peace of mind.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Something I just discovered and felt the need to share:

If you travel abroad with any frequency or at any length, you should look into getting a Capitol One card, as they don't charge any currency exchange fees or international ATM withdrawal fees for their credit and debit cards. That makes a HUGE difference, between constantly needing to find ATMs affiliated with your US bank and being able to use your card whenever you want. Just signed up for one of their rewards cards as my second credit card today. I hear mediocre things about their fraud claims department, but that's probably true for any major bank these days.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

baquerd posted:

Very, the risk of fraudulent claims is incredibly high.

Har har. Fixed =P. Sad that I missed that as fixing grammar is all I do all day.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
How irresponsible is it to spend a bit more on rent as a new graduate?

I'm 23 and I've just recently started a new job with a salary of ~$4800 net. Its my first post-graduate job and I'm living in a fairly expensive city in western Canada. I give an approximate figure because it will vary depending on the amount of work availible for my company.

30% of my net for rent is slightly over 1400, but obviously that is quite high - especially for a 1 bedroom apartment. However, there are quite a number of nice upperclass condos and such with great downtown locations in this ballpark area. Alternatively, I would pay ~900-1000 for an average place with an inferior location.

Basically, I'll be paying around ~$5000 extra a year for rent for a more enjoyable quality of life / social life versus saving it (I'm fortunate enough to be debt free - it could be my TFSA contribution for the year). I have a generous amount of investments compared to my similar aged peers, and I don't generally consider myself to be a reckless spender. I know I'm not making a smart financial decision by paying that much for rent, but there are many young professionals who do the same - is there really any way to justify it? Are young people just that irresponsible with money - or should I spend a little more to enjoy life while I'm still young?

Pieces fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 28, 2011

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
My rent is ~35% of my net pay (in Chicago). I could probably live in a cheaper place, or have roommates, but I have no debt and still am able to save money with this rent price so I've never had a problem with it. Where I live is important to me, so it's worth spending the money there and spending it less on other things.

Depending on your financial situation, it should be easy to pay a slightly higher rent for what you want if you're willing to adjust your spending otherwise. And living in an expensive city can change the general "rule of thumb" on how much of your paycheck to spend on housing anyway.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pieces posted:

I'm 23 and I've just recently started a new job with a salary of ~$4800 net. Its my first post-graduate job and I'm living in a fairly expensive city in western Canada. I give an approximate figure because it will vary depending on the amount of work availible for my company.

You'll want to take a hard look at your ability to do this job and how that weighs in on your long term prospects. Most companies that pay that much to fresh graduates expect top performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

baquerd posted:

You'll want to take a hard look at your ability to do this job and how that weighs in on your long term prospects. Most companies that pay that much to fresh graduates expect top performance.

Its with a service company in the Oil & Gas sector - I have no worries about my performance or with the job. Long term prospects are alright as well as long as I am alright staying within this industry - I asked a similar question in the 'Ask Me About Being An Engineer' thread with respect to that.