Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Rabid Koala posted:

Jesus. My wife and I spent the last month binging through The Shield. My wife hated The Wire (I loved it), but she was completely sucked into the world presented by The Shield. Simply amazing. The ending was pitch perfect:

I'm sure some people feel as though Vic got away free and clear, but I like the idea of a boring office job with ICE, which Vic must do satisfactorily for three years, being a sort of prison for someone used to running the streets.

About Vic's fate: when the terms of employment conditions were being read - that he has to produce 'x' amount of reports, singles-spaces, 7-pages long or whatever, I exclaimed, "poo poo I didn't work that hard in college."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Hitting Season 5 of a watch-through. Some people are great on commentary tracks. They've got interesting things to say and open your eyes about the creative process and the work the goes into bringing an idea from an initial half sentence to an entire episode. Shawn Ryan is one of these people. Michael Chiklis, however is not. While he has his moments, his tracks usually just end up being how great everyone involved with the Shield was. While this was probably true, it makes for a boring 40-odd minutes of audio.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I always enjoyed watching the features that revolved around the writers rooms because I consider those people Gods.

nice mattimer
Mar 3, 2008

the wind that shakes the buttcheeks
Every episode has a moment that makes me go "oh holy gently caress". And these "oh holy gently caress"s are all routinely at a caliber that is well above what most other shows can only pull off a few times a season.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Goddamn Family Meeting :smith:

I need something to pick me up now.

That works pretty well.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

That works pretty well.

That video lead me to another video that either happened in the series finale or drat near close to it.

That video reminded me that I need to watch this show again.

And gently caress the HD gods for not having it available on blu-ray. gently caress you Shawn Ryan for shooting on film "of insufficient quality to put out on Blu-ray."

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

FateoMcSkippy posted:

That video lead me to another video that either happened in the series finale or drat near close to it.

That video reminded me that I need to watch this show again.

And gently caress the HD gods for not having it available on blu-ray. gently caress you Shawn Ryan for shooting on film "of insufficient quality to put out on Blu-ray."

This will just piss you off MORE....

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3343 posted:

'The Shield: The Complete Series Collection' has recently been announced on DVD but not Blu-ray. Our friends at TV Shows on DVD looked further into the matter, and found confirmation from a Twitter post by show creator Shawn Ryan that the studio considers that the film stock the series was shot on is "of insufficient quality to put out on Blu-ray."

The TV-centric site elaborates, "it does make sense and seem appropriate, though, that the 16mm film stock wouldn't translate to a good-enough high-def picture. And, while we're sure that a number of tech-savvy fans of the series already knew that, it's still good to have it out there from the studio, for everyone else who may not be as clued-in on the technical front of things. There are a number of other shows that this would also apply to (the first two seasons of Buffy, for example), so it's certainly worth bringing up from time to time."

Far from us to proclaim ourselves tech-savvy or second-guess anyone, least of all the industry or the media, but in the face of the above some factual, objective clarifications need to be made: firstly, 16mm-sourced BDs exist already, both for movies and TV series; and secondly, many users and reviewers consider its picture more than deserving for high-definition.

'The Shield' was shot on the variant of 16mm called Super 16. The Super 16 frame has an exposed area of 0.493 by 0.292 inches, that is, less than half the surface of a 35mm film frame. Image resolution is thus lower and film grain more prevalent, especially when blown up to a big-size screen. Our older readers will remember the 110 photographic format so popular in the 1970s and 1980s and whose tiny negative size caused enlargements to often be grainy and fuzzy. This is roughly the same problem with 16mm cinema.

However, film experts consider that the resolution in a 16mm frame, even undoubtedly lower than that of 35mm, is far greater than standard definition and thus benefits from a high-definition transfer. This has been borne out by real-life examples of actual releases.

The closest example to 'The Shield' available in Blu-ray, as regards cinematography and general look, would be Darren Aronofsky's 'The Wrestler'. Like 'The Shield', it was shot on Super 16 (cropped further to 2.35:1), with a gritty documentary style, using natural light whenever possible and with handheld cameras. The movie's cinematographer, Maryse Alberti commented: “The decision to shoot The Wrestler in Super 16 mm format was partially based on a modest budget, but mainly it's a bit of an edgier look that we felt was right.”

So much so that when 'The Wrestler' opened theatrically, one of our fellow forum members deemed it fit to open a thread to warn others that the movie was "extremely grainy", in anticipation of the complaints when it came out on BD, insisting that was “how the movie was in the theater and that's how it's supposed to look.” Had the movie not been received critical accolades and multiple awards, maybe it wouldn't have been deemed worthy of a Blu-ray release.

However, when 'The Wrestler' came out on Blu-ray, our reviewer Martin Liebman gave it 4.5 stars for video, labeling it an “impressive” transfer and considered it “generally exceptional in the context of the film's intended visual presentation.” He praised the color and detail reproduction, and concluded that “overall, The Wrestler looks fantastic on Blu-ray, serving as yet another disc that isn't clean and clear but recreates the director-intended look of the film very well, making it a first-class presentation.”

Several other films shot wholly or partially on 16mm have been released on Blu-ray, often to positive reception, such as 'This Is Spinal Tap', 'U2: Rattle and Hum', '28 Weeks Later', 'Babel' (Morocco section), 'Hustle & Flow', 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' and 'Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music'. More movies shot in that format are coming up, including 'Clerks' and 'Chasing Amy' in November.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, the studio which is releasing 'The Shield' on DVD, is itself not totally averse to releasing 16mm content on BD: in August 2008 it released the movie 'The Counterfeiters', which was shot on Super 16.

Regarding television series, a fine example of how to treat 16mm right is 'Pride and Prejudice', which got 5 stars for video in its Blu-ray.com review by Svet Atanasov. HBO's 'Generation Kill' is another example. To be fair, another 16mm title, 'Burn Notice: Season 2', got a less than positive review, partly because of issues unrelated to the film stock. Also coming up in November is 'Scrubs: The Complete Eighth Season', which is shot on Super 16, albeit on a slower, more finely-grained film stock. 'Scrubs' cinematographer John Inwood recalled that initially “some people were claiming that the picture quality that you render on film in Super 16 format wasn't sufficient to air in HD format,” but, he adds, “Larry Fields and I tested the show in HD and found it not only held up, but it looked terrific.”

In summary, as we said at the beginning, there is quite a bit of 16mm content on BD, and by and large it is worthy of release on high-definition. And that's not even considering the improvement in sound quality from upgrading to a lossless audio track. Now, studios are totally free to decide what to release on Blu-ray for any reasons technical or commercial. But not because 16mm is not good enough.

Hopefully all of the above facts will sufficiently clarify the issue.

So basically, spend more money and continue milking your cash cow. I'd rebuy the series on blu-ray in a heartbeat, quality be damned.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I don't have the money to switch from DVD to blu-ray like we did with VHS. DVD looks pretty drat good to me so I don't really get why blue ray matters anyway. Plus whoever made it spelled it wrong. And it sounds like aliens would watch it.

The Shield wasn't made to look pretty. I think if it was shot in a higher quality and had a crystal clear picture that it would lose something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ratatozsk posted:

That works pretty well.

Watch Justified. It has Shane it it and he is actually super competent

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Wartime Consigliere posted:

I don't have the money to switch from DVD to blu-ray like we did with VHS. DVD looks pretty drat good to me so I don't really get why blue ray matters anyway. Plus whoever made it spelled it wrong. And it sounds like aliens would watch it.

The Shield wasn't made to look pretty. I think if it was shot in a higher quality and had a crystal clear picture that it would lose something.

Yeah, there was definitely some thought behind the visual medium of the show. I seem to remember there was an interview where they said that the show was framed in 4:3 (despite being shot in widescreen) to give a more documentary/gritty feel to the entire thing (and supposedly more claustrophobic). That got hosed up in the later seasons, though.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Wartime Consigliere posted:

Blu-ray doesn't automatically mean "crystal clear". You can still have intentionally grainy picture in higher quality. Did you read the post above yours? It's true that DVD is good enough for many people, though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just finished season 1 again. I forgot how :smith: the ending was.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
I've been blazing through the seasons lately and just can't help but post that this show will make you lose all faith in humanity's ability to name its children. ANQUON's a good example.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Aardark posted:

Blu-ray doesn't automatically mean "crystal clear". You can still have intentionally grainy picture in higher quality. Did you read the post above yours? It's true that DVD is good enough for many people, though.

Yeah I don't expect blu-ray to be a cure for all/any image issues. I'd just like the option of making sure my collection can survive a gradual format change.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Just finished season 1 again. I forgot how :smith: the ending was.

I've lost my S1 DVD :smith: isn't the last episode where those fake 911 calls where made and the cops answering the call would be shot/lynched? I forgot how that was resolved

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TUS posted:

I've lost my S1 DVD :smith: isn't the last episode where those fake 911 calls where made and the cops answering the call would be shot/lynched? I forgot how that was resolved

Finding a guy with a poo poo load of needles and using a pin on a guys skin.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

TUS posted:

Yeah, but that plot thread is resolved in the episode. The ending is basically (S1 finale) Vic coming home to an empty house and a message from Corinne, and all but has a heart attack in his kitchen.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Woop woop. 5-0s comin. Posting as someone who just marathoned through the first three seasons for the first time I can say this show has done poo poo NO OTHER SHOW has touched. I've had at least 3 :tviv: moments already.

The one that got me hardest for some reason was Dutch killing the cat. As soon as the meowing started I knew where it was going but I kept thinking he'd back down. There really isn't too much separating him from the guys he brings down, is there?

I've been trying hard to avoid spoilers and I don't think I remember any that I've heard over the years. I knew about Aceveda getting sexually assaulted due to an unfortunate google result but everything else has been a surprise and I'm glad. I'm probably going to check out of the thread until I'm done watching, but I just wanted to say that drat, this show has some real shockers.

Reo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 7, 2011

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Reo posted:

The one that got me hardest for some reason was Dutch killing the cat. As soon as the meowing started I knew where it was going but I kept thinking he'd back down. There really isn't too much separating him from the guys he brings down, is there?

I haven't seen the show in a while, but the point of that scene was the exact opposite, I thought. The killer had been taunting him the entire episode about how it feels to kill something, which Dutch knew nothing about. What that was was a desperate attempt to understand these people, which he considers a integral part of his job, and something he was lacking.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Reo posted:

Woop woop. 5-0s comin. Posting as someone who just marathoned through the first three seasons for the first time I can say this show has done poo poo NO OTHER SHOW has touched. I've had at least 3 :tviv: moments already.

I've been trying hard to avoid spoilers and I don't think I remember any that I've heard over the years. I knew about Aceveda getting sexually assaulted due to an unfortunate google result but everything else has been a surprise and I'm glad. I'm probably going to check out of the thread until I'm done watching, but I just wanted to say that drat, this show has some real shockers.

There are two scenes in the seasons ahead of you which will spoil the gently caress out of the series if they aren't surprises when they hit you, so it's a wise choice you're making. Do whatever you can to avoid them. Aceveda's moment isn't even a blip on the radar compared to these.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Saw the first season like a year ago and liked it, got back into it while my friend and I were looking for something to binge during the summer. I'm now about halfway through season 3 and holy poo poo this is one of the most amazing shows. My favorite thing by far is how much Chiklis can have Mackey express his emotions just moving the inside of his mouth while the rest of his face looks stone cold.(probably worded that poorly)

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
After re-watching the show up to the end of S5, I can't help but observe that this show has just the most remarkable cast of despicable characters ever written, it's just amazing, and not just the 'bad guys'. Aceveda's horrible shrew of a wife whose reaction to a certain event is just unfathomable, Julien's retarded religiosity and self-loathing homosexuality that he takes out on everyone else, Tina's and Billings' incompetence. Pretty egregious stuff. The first two on that list are probably the most loathsome, though.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

OmegaZultan posted:

Saw the first season like a year ago and liked it, got back into it while my friend and I were looking for something to binge during the summer. I'm now about halfway through season 3 and holy poo poo this is one of the most amazing shows. My favorite thing by far is how much Chiklis can have Mackey express his emotions just moving the inside of his mouth while the rest of his face looks stone cold.(probably worded that poorly)

Just wait. Chiklis is amazing at expressing emotions with just his face, no dialogue, and he gets to flex those muscles big time over the course of the series (especially a couple scenes at the end).

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Finished season 3, loving amazing stuff. Feel kinda bad for Wyms tho.

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Just finished a complete re-watch of the series. I'd forgotten just how great this show is. Easily in the top 5 of all time. Just gotta figure out which show it bumps off the list.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Season 4 down. Wow, Glenn Close, just wow.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I don't understand the Kavanaugh hate. I loved his character and he was what made Season 5 so great to me. I fully sided with him even when he set up Vic, because Vic deserved to go down, and I loved how he was turning dark to do it

HE'S PISSING IN YOUR FACE!! CAN YOU TASTE IT?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I hated him cause I was rooting for Vic the entire time.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
He was tarred as a monster pretty early on and it was hard for him to shake it off, but he was a monster only because he was going after an even bigger monster, one that managed to get the better of him. Rewatching the series, it's a lot easier to take his side when you know what Vic is really like (up to then you get a pretty good idea, but it gets much worse)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CortezFantastic posted:

HE'S PISSING IN YOUR FACE!! CAN YOU TASTE IT?

I don't think it tastes like hot buttah.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Yeah Kavanaugh was my boy.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

If Kavanaugh was out for any other member of the Strike Team (even Ronnie), I would have been on his side. But Lem had always been my favorite ST member so I didn't want him to go away :smith:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I've avoided this thread. I just finished season 5 and I had to post... Im just so mad.

Lem was my favorite ST member. He seemed so happy with the sandwich he was given by Shane and just had the natural nice guy tone. When he dropped that grenade, and was still slowly dying when Shane started apologizing... I cried. I can't believe it but I actually cried. Wow

And Kavanaugh is a real prick. Claudette said it best in that IAD is not welcome and intimidating, that's the nature of the beast, but the way he goes about his business is over the top and incredibly off putting. I don't think you're supposed to like him. If he was such a straight and narrow guy he wouldn't have tried to have Antwan murder whatever strike team members would have been in jail Plus he attacked dutch. You don't do that.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Kavanaugh was a goddamned bastard. It's just great writing and acting to make the good guy bad and the bad guy good so effectively.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

In the middle of season 4 of my rewatch. Glenn Close is amazing. Anthony "Animal Semen" Anderson plays a great bad guy. I can't wait until Kavanaugh shows up.

rear end-Invader's story line is getting annoying though. I forgot how much his interaction with the Barn after season 3 makes me :argh:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Initially, I thought Glenn Close was some sort of stunt casting but liked her character. The scene that had me going HOLY loving JESUS was when she interrogated face raped Antwone in front of Vic and even he's looking at her like she is the nastiest piece of work ever. Great scene. Absolutely great loving scene.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

God, Tina is worthless.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Just finished season 6. Not sure I liked 6 as much as I liked 5 but it was okay. It's starting to get a little far fetched IMO.

PS gently caress Billings oh my godddd gently caress Billings

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

Crazy685 posted:

Just finished season 6. Not sure I liked 6 as much as I liked 5 but it was okay. It's starting to get a little far fetched IMO.

PS gently caress Billings oh my godddd gently caress Billings

Season 6 is really just the set up for 7. I think they were originally just supposed to be one season (or was it 5 & 6?), which is why it feels a little anticlimactic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rejutka posted:

Initially, I thought Glenn Close was some sort of stunt casting but liked her character. The scene that had me going HOLY loving JESUS was when she interrogated face raped Antwone in front of Vic and even he's looking at her like she is the nastiest piece of work ever. Great scene. Absolutely great loving scene.

Oh God I forgot all about that, she went to work on him as mercilessly and savagely as anything I've ever seen.

• Locked thread