Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Awesome pictures c355n4. I wish I could find a GC coupe that looked clean like yours.

I wondered how the RS's fared on the track versus all sorts of other cars.

I also think it's amazing to see the versatility of the platform Subaru has created. Our posts back to back, one set of pictures it's some ding dong on some private dirt land with gravels out enjoying the scenery, and in the other pictures it's the same model car out on a road coarse rippin' it up.

I had a slight twinge of regret when we started tearing into it for the cage.

I run a very stock class so not many modifications allowed without class bumps. Main competition is Miatas (NA/NB/NC). The car is relatively heavy and underpowered. It is still fun though. :p

I wish I had roads like that around here.

I love this picture .

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
So I took the STI out to autocross today and after doing my first run I pulled back to grid and idled for about 5 minutes then shut off the car. When I turned it back on by the time I crept toward the front of the line there was a bunch of white smoke coming out the exhaust. I just left and didn't do any more runs and it seemed to have cleared up by the time I got my stuff packed up and out of the parking lot. I didn't see any more on the hour or so drive home so I'm wondering what to do. Am I hosed or is this some sort of normal thing? I'm reading about cracked ringland symptoms and hope I don't have that, I already had the engine replaced due to spun rod bearings. It's still under warranty for a few months but if I take it in I'd like to know what to expect.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Found the oil leak!

Do not use Auto-RX, whatever you do.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Amandyke posted:

Do not use Auto-RX, whatever you do.

So true, I saw a motor torn apart that had a bunch of Auto-RX run thru it. It was NASTY and SMELLED like poo poo.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Should I just assume any used WRX I buy will have been tortured and near a catastrophic failure? I may be in the market for a car sooner than expected and do not want a payment which would limit me to 15,000. I am in North East Texas if it makes a difference..

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ropes4u posted:

Should I just assume any used WRX I buy will have been tortured and near a catastrophic failure?

Not if you're patient. I bought the exact car I wanted in the exact color I wanted only 15 minutes away but it took me a month and a half to find it. Amazingly, it was a Craigslist wanted ad that brought the seller to me rather than the other way around. He was an old guy who bought the car new, never drove it and the entire thing was absolutely bone stock (original radio, everything). I guess he had been toying with selling the car, saw my ad, and a couple days later it was mine.

Don't settle for a car you know you won't be happy with.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
In case any of you guys are interested in how Auto-RX treats their customers who complain on their forum: http://auto-rx.activeboard.com/t44092626/terrible-experience-with-auto-rx-customer-service-experience/

That was after 3 posted threads were deleted and 2 accounts were banned. I especially like that last post from their "administrator". I guess he's going to report me to the internet police? Not that it matters, he's already banned that 3rd account and my IP.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

In case any of you guys are interested in how Auto-RX treats their customers who complain on their forum: http://auto-rx.activeboard.com/t44092626/terrible-experience-with-auto-rx-customer-service-experience/

That was after 3 posted threads were deleted and 2 accounts were banned. I especially like that last post from their "administrator". I guess he's going to report me to the internet police? Not that it matters, he's already banned that 3rd account and my IP.
Better watch out, those internet police have your ip!

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Amandyke posted:

Auto-RX Drama

So let me ask the simple question: is this an example of "oil buildup" effectively acting as part of the seal, the removal of which exposes an existing leak? Or is it a case of the Auto-RX actually causing a relatively young seal to fail? In other words, was the seal replaced recently or has it been there for a while?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Sterndotstern posted:

So let me ask the simple question: is this an example of "oil buildup" effectively acting as part of the seal, the removal of which exposes an existing leak? Or is it a case of the Auto-RX actually causing a relatively young seal to fail? In other words, was the seal replaced recently or has it been there for a while?

The seal was 10,000 miles old. I inspected them after they were removed and they were not torn. Some how the auto rx had caused oil to leak past the seals.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
edit: wrong tab sorry

sultan_of_bling
Apr 30, 2006
Huh?
Maybe you guys can give me some insight on this issue I'm having in my 09 WRX before I take it in to the dealer.

It has 35k miles and recently I've noticed that sometimes when going from 1st to 2nd there is a "crunch" and I can feel resistance moving into 2nd and hear the gears grinding together. If I'm not careful and shift quickly into 2nd it can grind a lot as though I didn't have the clutch in.

This does not happen in any other gear and I haven't noticed it when downshifting into 2nd, either.

What is the dealer going to tell me?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

sultan_of_bling posted:

Maybe you guys can give me some insight on this issue I'm having in my 09 WRX before I take it in to the dealer.

It has 35k miles and recently I've noticed that sometimes when going from 1st to 2nd there is a "crunch" and I can feel resistance moving into 2nd and hear the gears grinding together. If I'm not careful and shift quickly into 2nd it can grind a lot as though I didn't have the clutch in.

This does not happen in any other gear and I haven't noticed it when downshifting into 2nd, either.

What is the dealer going to tell me?

Sounds like a bad syncro. Hopefully they will cover it under warranty. If they try to say that you abused it ask them to prove it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I had a 3rd gear syncro go in my '02 early on in it's life and they rebuilt 3rd and 4th under warranty without blinking an eye and replaced my clutch under a TSB while they were in there.

It's all about finding a dealer with a good reputation of not bullshitting people.

sultan_of_bling
Apr 30, 2006
Huh?
Got it - thanks guys. I'll take it in and let you know what they say!

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Shameless repost from the craigslist gold thread: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=302555509

Yes that's an LS1

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Amandyke posted:

Shameless repost from the craigslist gold thread: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=302555509

Yes that's an LS1

I can't tell if that's a Subaru Unicorn or a Subaru Penis

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Amandyke posted:

Yes that's an LS1

Now here's an incredible idiot

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Eh, who cares? It's ridiculous, sure, but it's probably a hoot to drive.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
So I was looking under my girlfriend's 2010 OBS and it looks like it would be able to accept my 2011 STi rear sway bar. Turns out, the OBS doesn't come with one at all. Are there issues that I didn't notice? Second and more importantly, will it help the handling or ruin it? An OBS with STi parts sounds awesome to me.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

That car is not far from me. I am afraid to go take a look at it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So when getting both my inner CV boots, it was discovered that my steering rack is leaking from a seal. So that's what the mark under my parking spot is. It is pretty slow (it wasn't low yet), so I'll probably just keep topping it up.
The people who were doing the CVs said they don't do seals on the rack and the rack apparently costs about $600 or so.
Can the rack be re-sealed or when I get sick of topping it off am I out $600?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A backyard special that's been ill thought out? Yeah, you'll be hooting all right, for dear life and to get out

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

burtonos posted:

That car is not far from me. I am afraid to go take a look at it.

You must go look at it then report back as to how horrid of a job it is.

nm posted:

So when getting both my inner CV boots, it was discovered that my steering rack is leaking from a seal. So that's what the mark under my parking spot is. It is pretty slow (it wasn't low yet), so I'll probably just keep topping it up.
The people who were doing the CVs said they don't do seals on the rack and the rack apparently costs about $600 or so.
Can the rack be re-sealed or when I get sick of topping it off am I out $600?

In looking at the service manual for my 03, it would appear that it is possible to re-seal the "power steering gearbox" they even have complete instructions. It also looks like a pain in the butt. It would also appear that RockAuto has a rebuilt rack and pinion for $237 with a $75 core charge. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/racatalog.php?carcode=1432596&parttype=7388

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 27, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
it is likely that you just need to replace an o-ring on one of the fittings from the line to the rack

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Subaru keeping it classy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlluDJhXew

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

You must go look at it then report back as to how horrid of a job it is.

In looking at the service manual for my 03, it would appear that it is possible to re-seal the "power steering gearbox" they even have complete instructions. It also looks like a pain in the butt. It would also appear that RockAuto has a rebuilt rack and pinion for $237 with a $75 core charge. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/racatalog.php?carcode=1432596&parttype=7388
I've seen that. I'm not convinced that is the right part as the LGT has a different steering rack than the Outback, yet that lists as the same part.

jamal posted:

it is likely that you just need to replace an o-ring on one of the fittings from the line to the rack
I'll look at that next time we're down there. I'd be a fan of replacing something that costs less than $50 for a change.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

law abiding rapist posted:

Subaru keeping it classy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlluDJhXew

I would love a sumo to just hang with. That would be the bees knees. Put him in the back: rollbar/airbag for the kids. Win-win.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
So... Turns out 225/50/16 on a lowered 03 WRX will rub. Who knew? Up next, I calmly attack my fenders with a bodywork hammer and a heat gun. :sigh:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Simkin posted:

So... Turns out 225/50/16 on a lowered 03 WRX will rub. Who knew? Up next, I calmly attack my fenders with a bodywork hammer and a heat gun. :sigh:

How low are you? Or do you have lower offset wheels?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I know Subarus last forever mileage wise, but I'm looking to get this RS with 170k on it.

I'm taking a look at it this weekend but is there anything specific I should look for with such high mileage?

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2493001416.html

e: besides the price

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Your WRX not hitting target boost?

Try adjusting your wastegate preload.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824323

I needed two turns on mine. Haven't been hitting over 14psi or so lately, although it had been a very stable 14psi. Now it's back to 16, still stable :)

Just in time to swap the turbo tonight....

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Yakattak posted:

e: besides the price

:wtf: dude I paid $6900 for my '02 WRX with only 103k... and that was more than a year ago.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

c355n4 posted:

How low are you? Or do you have lower offset wheels?

Ha. Low enough. Rolling the fenders cleared up all of my clearance issues, so I'm a happy camper now. Bigger, stickier meats are well worth the small amount of work. As it was only rubbing on one corner (and that corner seems to have about 5mm less clearance than all other corners, I'm thinking maybe the suspension could use a refresh.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I've been tossing around the idea of picking up an Impreazza and doing a 22B body kit. Anyone here ever tried this? What am I looking at for a budget for the Body kit, wheels and tires?

I can source the rest though my wife (Subaru Dealer employee). It looks like a doable and fun project.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I've been shopping around for a car that I could take with me for some slight off-roading... mostly to get me around dirt roads/snow to camp sites/trails/whatever and I've been considering an outback. I found a 2005 XT limited near me and the asking price seems decent ($15k with 75k miles) compared to KBB. I was going to go check it out this Saturday and was wondering if anyone knew of any major problems that engine/car might have or things I should look for?

Also, I saw that it was in a accident back in 2005 with the carfax saying "primarily front damage"... is there anything I should look for concerning that?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Vomik posted:

Also, I saw that it was in a accident back in 2005 with the carfax saying "primarily front damage"... is there anything I should look for concerning that?

A different car.

Alternatively, at the very least take it to an alignment shop and make sure the suspension and frame and poo poo are straight and that it wasn't a half-assed budget repair.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Vomik posted:

I've been shopping around for a car that I could take with me for some slight off-roading... mostly to get me around dirt roads/snow to camp sites/trails/whatever and I've been considering an outback. I found a 2005 XT limited near me and the asking price seems decent ($15k with 75k miles) compared to KBB. I was going to go check it out this Saturday and was wondering if anyone knew of any major problems that engine/car might have or things I should look for?

Get it to a body shop.
Front end damage can mean anything from a bumper respray to replacing the entire front end.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What's a reasonable price for a leakdown (or compression) test if I'm already paying to have the spark plugs replaced? It's my understanding that most of the cost of a leakdown test is usually the labor to get to the plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Splinter posted:

What's a reasonable price for a leakdown (or compression) test if I'm already paying to have the spark plugs replaced? It's my understanding that most of the cost of a leakdown test is usually the labor to get to the plugs.
Not much. Half hour at the most.