Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

permanoob posted:

I was pushing out some proxy settings to a small test group here at work and things just aren't working out so I wanted to turn them off. I went in and turned off all the proxy settings last night and figured I'd let it go overnight and come back in to a proxy-less test group this morning. Hmm nope.

If I do a gpupdate /force, it's still not changing anything over and I'd rather not have to call these people and walk them through changing it. Any idea why taking those settings out and doing a gpupdate isn't clearing the settings?

They policy puts the setting in place.. it doesn't remove the setting when you remove the policy.

Something like a proxy setting is really just editing a registry key on the local machine. When you remove it, it doesn't force that setting anymore...but it also doesn't know what the setting was before and can't reverse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

FISHMANPET posted:

Hahaha, that assumes that anybody in IT has any access to the webapps everybody uses. Only way to test is to let it out into the wild, and wait for the silence, because nobody bugs us unless their computer is on fire or something.

As a result of that little debacle I now have to put together a comprehensive testing plan/dependencies matrix for changes/updates to any desktop application. As in, "if I update Flash Player it will affect internal site x, y, external site a, b, so I need to get the teams responsible for those sites to test update compatibility." :suicide:

Realistically though, it's probably been long overdue for an enterprise our size with continuous massive expansion plans.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

devmd01 posted:

Test the poo poo out of 10.x before deploying it, the new way it handles pdf opening fucks up royally if you have IE lockdown settings enabled such as "do not save encrypted pages to disk."

Ask me how I know!

Yeah, I was playing around with that setting for a while but then I found out it breaks PDFs embedded on encrypted payroll/banking websites and turned it off. Oh well.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.

skipdogg posted:

They policy puts the setting in place.. it doesn't remove the setting when you remove the policy.

Something like a proxy setting is really just editing a registry key on the local machine. When you remove it, it doesn't force that setting anymore...but it also doesn't know what the setting was before and can't reverse it.

I didn't remove the policy. I changed it to have no proxy settings and left it in place in hopes it would remove the settings with the next policy update.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Help!

My Group Policy has worked fine for years doing My Documents folder redirection. Redirects local files to \\fileserver.blah.local\USERS\%USERNAME%

Now, however, since Wednesday is has started appending \My Documents onto the end of the path, creating this folder in people's profiles on the server where it can and then sending their My Documents link on their local machines to this new, usually empty, folder.

I have no idea why, nothing has changed, and other than the \My Documents bit it's exactly the same as the servers on my other sites that're working fine, but I can find no way to manually change the path, it adds the \Username\My Documents bit to it automatically.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cthulhuite posted:

Help!

My Group Policy has worked fine for years doing My Documents folder redirection. Redirects local files to \\fileserver.blah.local\USERS\%USERNAME%

Now, however, since Wednesday is has started appending \My Documents onto the end of the path, creating this folder in people's profiles on the server where it can and then sending their My Documents link on their local machines to this new, usually empty, folder.

I have no idea why, nothing has changed, and other than the \My Documents bit it's exactly the same as the servers on my other sites that're working fine, but I can find no way to manually change the path, it adds the \Username\My Documents bit to it automatically.

Is it set to "Redirect to the following location" or "Create a folder for each user under the root path"?

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is it set to "Redirect to the following location" or "Create a folder for each user under the root path"?

I played around with it and managed to get it fixed. It was set to the latter which appends the \My Docs bit. If I set it to "following location", put in the one I wanted with the %USERNAME% part at the end, it automatically switched it to the other and then kept the path I put in.

If that makes sense.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
I'm installing a program that reads config settings from HKCU\Software\bla\bla\Login

I didn't find out a failsafe way to add registry settings to Current User when using SCCM to push out the package, so I figured I'd just make a Group Policy to add that registry setting to users with the package.

The setting is pretty simple

code:
User Configuration (Enabled)hide
Preferenceshide
Windows Settingshide
Registryhide
ConfigurationPath (Order: 1)hide
Generalhide
Action Update 
PropertiesHive HKEY_CURRENT_USER 
Key path Software\Software Innovation\ProArc\Login 
Value name ConfigurationPath 
Value type REG_SZ 
Value data \\proarc-dss\ClientShare\Config 
And running it manually with gpresult added the setting just fine. However, when I linked the GPO to the users group, people started getting problems when logging in.

The login script seems to stop and they get an empty command prompt window just sitting there. How on earth can this policy cause this?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Got a question about GPP drive mapping. How do clients (specifically XP) react/behave if the same share/drive letter combo is mapped multiple times via different GPOs?

I've got a user that occasionally (once every few months) loses access to one of her mapped drives; it still shows up in explorer, but when you browse to it no files/folders are displayed. If you disconnect the drive and then remap it everything goes back to normal, but eventually the problem comes back. I'm wondering if having the multiple drive maps being applied is part of the problem or if it's something else. Both preferences are using the Create action (rather than Update or Replace) and are doing inclusive drive mapping.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I'm having an issue with a profile that I have for what amounts to a public kiosk type user. Currently I am using a mandatory profile on a windows 2008 domain, everything has been working fine, but I needed to apply a few new GPO's that are not working with the mandatory profile.

The reason why I have stuck with mandatory profiles is to ensure that nothing is left behind when the next user logs on. Is there a better way to do this in 2008?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

chizad posted:

Got a question about GPP drive mapping. How do clients (specifically XP) react/behave if the same share/drive letter combo is mapped multiple times via different GPOs?

I've got a user that occasionally (once every few months) loses access to one of her mapped drives; it still shows up in explorer, but when you browse to it no files/folders are displayed. If you disconnect the drive and then remap it everything goes back to normal, but eventually the problem comes back. I'm wondering if having the multiple drive maps being applied is part of the problem or if it's something else. Both preferences are using the Create action (rather than Update or Replace) and are doing inclusive drive mapping.

That sounds like more of an offline files issue. If offline files is enabled, next time that happens try forcing a sync and see if the files show up again.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
For those of you in environments where it should not be run (in my case, lab computers using an autolog account), how are you blocking things like DropBox? Group Policy Software Restriction? Firewall?

I would rather the installer not run, instead of the program not running. And I have no problem with people going to the DropBox site. Users just forget to unlink their account when they get up and leave the computer.

Software Restriction for everything in %APPDATA%\DropBox\* was one idea, but was similar to the firewall option (can't block ports) in that they can install it to a different directory, or I have to keep the file hash up to date.

Can I just ban any exe from running in %APPDATA%? Is there a reason I would want anything to run from %APPDATA%?

mute
Jul 17, 2004

quackquackquack posted:

For those of you in environments where it should not be run (in my case, lab computers using an autolog account), how are you blocking things like DropBox? Group Policy Software Restriction? Firewall?

I would rather the installer not run, instead of the program not running. And I have no problem with people going to the DropBox site. Users just forget to unlink their account when they get up and leave the computer.

Software Restriction for everything in %APPDATA%\DropBox\* was one idea, but was similar to the firewall option (can't block ports) in that they can install it to a different directory, or I have to keep the file hash up to date.

Can I just ban any exe from running in %APPDATA%? Is there a reason I would want anything to run from %APPDATA%?

We rolled out (are still rolling out, rather) full whitelisting via AV product (Sophos), so nothing runs anymore (in theory) unless it's preapproved.

Before that, I'd set SRP to only allow execution from Program Files/Windows, disallowed running any executables/links from user folders.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I need a way to prevent users from changing file permissions and ownership. It seems like I should be able to do this through GPO>computer config> Windows settings > Security Settings > File System. Then add the files, in this case its the users personal storage and then assign permissions. However, the user that the network drive belongs has not been effected by these changes. The changes were applied to Creator Owner

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

quackquackquack posted:

We use Deep Freeze for our public machines.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

mute posted:

We rolled out (are still rolling out, rather) full whitelisting via AV product (Sophos), so nothing runs anymore (in theory) unless it's preapproved.

Before that, I'd set SRP to only allow execution from Program Files/Windows, disallowed running any executables/links from user folders.

Windows Vista and higher can use a executable hashes to whitelist, not just names or directories.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
I used DeepFreeze in the past, and I was not a fan, even after it was up and running decently.

I would assume a new version of an exe would have a new executable hash?

Mully Clown
Aug 1, 2004

I handle my piss like the great big frilly girls blouse that I am
I've only had a brief play with applocker but I believe you can block by name, hash, publisher and other goodies. Can adjust on a per user basis as well.

It would be well worth looking at.

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing

Drumstick posted:

I need a way to prevent users from changing file permissions and ownership. It seems like I should be able to do this through GPO>computer config> Windows settings > Security Settings > File System. Then add the files, in this case its the users personal storage and then assign permissions. However, the user that the network drive belongs has not been effected by these changes. The changes were applied to Creator Owner

User Configuration -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Explorer -> Remove Security tab.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Thanks! that was exactly what I was looking for

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
What is the order of precedence for GPO operations?

Say we have a domain-wide setting that causes issues with certain websites, and I need to remove that setting for just the users of those webapps. I'd obviously use gpo filtering to get the right people, but if I set a "do not use" for the setting in a user gpo, will that override the "use" setting in the domain computer gpo?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it's deeper in your tree, yes.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002

devmd01 posted:

What is the order of precedence for GPO operations?

Say we have a domain-wide setting that causes issues with certain websites, and I need to remove that setting for just the users of those webapps. I'd obviously use gpo filtering to get the right people, but if I set a "do not use" for the setting in a user gpo, will that override the "use" setting in the domain computer gpo?

If it's user vs computer, check the specific wording of the GPO. Some of them specify.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a way to disable wifi while the wired connection is active without having to use any vendor specific software like Lenovo's access connections?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I can't think of a good way to do it without additional software. What exactly are you trying to achieve here? Someone might be able to think of a different way to approach it.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

We're getting ready to roll out wifi in all our offices. We want to be able to automatically disable the wifi when the machine is docked or plugged into the LAN so it's not pulling two DHCP leases and we always know which connection it's using and all that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

My best suggestion would be to have wifi allocate from a different IP block (it should probably by vlanned off from the rest of the network anyway) and set up the adapter priority so the wired connection takes priority. I believe that should happen automatically anyway because Windows gives priority to the connection with the higher link speed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Maybe it's been posted here before, but any advice on a base set of policies for my quickly impending Win 7 rollout?

I've setup a policy to set Win 7 Aero as the default theme for a newly created profile (otherwise nobody will ever be using it). I also enabled rdesktop and poked a hole in the firewall it, and disabled the ability for users to shutdown or put their computers to sleep.

I'm going to look into disabling the some of the "Solve PC issues" popup about setting up a backup. I also probably need to do something about setting the wired network as a Work/Domain network (or does being on a domain take care of that?) Are there any other policies I should use to keep the computer from nagging users about things that are my problem?

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

chizad posted:

Is there a way to disable wifi while the wired connection is active without having to use any vendor specific software like Lenovo's access connections?

My Win7 Dell laptop does it by default. I think that's a Windows 7 feature and not part of the Dell toolset, since I only have the drivers installed.

My boss swears up and down that the wifi is still enabled, but an ipconfig shows no address on the wireless.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe it's been posted here before, but any advice on a base set of policies for my quickly impending Win 7 rollout?

I've setup a policy to set Win 7 Aero as the default theme for a newly created profile (otherwise nobody will ever be using it). I also enabled rdesktop and poked a hole in the firewall it, and disabled the ability for users to shutdown or put their computers to sleep.

I'm going to look into disabling the some of the "Solve PC issues" popup about setting up a backup. I also probably need to do something about setting the wired network as a Work/Domain network (or does being on a domain take care of that?) Are there any other policies I should use to keep the computer from nagging users about things that are my problem?

Off the top of my head, the most important thing you should manage is Windows Update. Even if you don't run a WSUS server you can control how much UI the updater shows and when it runs.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I haven't done my Win 7 rollout yet, but on XP I disable showing the last user name that logged in so that users learn their user names. I also disable the desktop clean-up wizard. How about forcing a password-protected screen saver after X minutes?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I haven't done my Win 7 rollout yet, but on XP I disable showing the last user name that logged in so that users learn their user names.

I wish I did that. Don't be me. Make them type their user IDs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My best suggestion would be to have wifi allocate from a different IP block (it should probably by vlanned off from the rest of the network anyway) and set up the adapter priority so the wired connection takes priority. I believe that should happen automatically anyway because Windows gives priority to the connection with the higher link speed.
Yeah this is not something you have to worry about in most scenarios.
Also lol if you're not setting your WLAN in some kind of jail.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I haven't done my Win 7 rollout yet, but on XP I disable showing the last user name that logged in so that users learn their user names. I also disable the desktop clean-up wizard. How about forcing a password-protected screen saver after X minutes?

Can anyone help me out with this setting? I want our screens to lock after 30 mins, but nothing I set seems to work.

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing

Swink posted:

Can anyone help me out with this setting? I want our screens to lock after 30 mins, but nothing I set seems to work.

On XP or 7? For XP we have:
User -> Policies -> Admin Temp -> Control Panel -> Personalization:
- Enable screen saver (Enabled)
- Password protect the screen saver (Enabled)
- Screen saver timeout (Enabled, number of seconds…)

Haven't tested it on 7 yet, but it should work there as well.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this. In AD I need to know the names under account options for passwords for the following:

User must change password at next logon
User cannot change password
Password never expires

I need to set these through a csv but I cannot seem to find the name for those fields.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The default AD management tools don't give you a great way to query those account flags. PowerShell is probably the easier method to do what you are describing (I think, I'm a little confused on exactly what you are asking for).

Anyway, the get-QADUser and set-QADUser commands will let you manipulate user objects like that. This might give you something to work with.

http://powershell.com/cs/forums/p/2419/3270.aspx

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

The default AD management tools don't give you a great way to query those account flags. PowerShell is probably the easier method to do what you are describing (I think, I'm a little confused on exactly what you are asking for).

Anyway, the get-QADUser and set-QADUser commands will let you manipulate user objects like that. This might give you something to work with.

http://powershell.com/cs/forums/p/2419/3270.aspx

Whoops, sorry, I really was not clear at all. I will be getting a csv within the next week for all the new students for this school year. The old admin used to set those fields in the csv when we added those users from what I can tell. Unfortunately I have no documentation, and he was fired so I cannot ask him.

From what I can tell, he used ADManager from ManageEngine to import a csv of the student data that was given to us from our student registration databases. I just need to make sure that User Must change password is unchecked, and user cannot change password and password never expires is checked and it looks as if he set those through there. I could be wrong, this is new territory for me.

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing

Drumstick posted:

Whoops, sorry, I really was not clear at all. I will be getting a csv within the next week for all the new students for this school year. The old admin used to set those fields in the csv when we added those users from what I can tell. Unfortunately I have no documentation, and he was fired so I cannot ask him.

From what I can tell, he used ADManager from ManageEngine to import a csv of the student data that was given to us from our student registration databases. I just need to make sure that User Must change password is unchecked, and user cannot change password and password never expires is checked and it looks as if he set those through there. I could be wrong, this is new territory for me.

At least some of what you're after is in userAccountControl - when I was playing around with it a while ago (pretty much doing the exact opposite of what you're after) there was very little information on what the values did, so I figured it out by twiddling the settings and seeing what effect that had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

thebmw posted:

- Password protect the screen saver (Enabled)

Turns out this was the one I was missing. (works in 7, btw). Thanks

• Locked thread