Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Does anyone have trouble sending MMS? I've got CM7 on my evo shift and its so hard to tell if I'm actually sending anything or not, the little "busy" icon will always spin. I cant tell how the upload rate is going or the progress. I've noticed a few times if I cancel the MMS and resend it, it can often finish it within 15 seconds then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

UnintelligibleSmurf posted:

Hey guys-have galaxy s, with swype. Do I lose it if I switch over to another rom?

Technically yes, but given how often it gets updated on manufacturer and carrier roms (approximately every baaaaahahahah), that's a good thing.

Flash your new rom and sign up for the Swype beta.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Technically yes, but given how often it gets updated on manufacturer and carrier roms (approximately every baaaaahahahah), that's a good thing.

Flash your new rom and sign up for the Swype beta.

I had noticed that my version of swype is out-of-date by a long shot.

The OP says the swype beta has closed though, which is why I've been ignoring everything I can find on google about the beta. I assume that's incorrect then?

Edit: VVVV Thanks dude. Would be nice to have a version of swipe that doesn't give me a "hidden word" popup every time I move my finger.

That said, would you recommend MIUI or CM7 for a beginner?

IntelligibleChoir fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 27, 2011

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

UnintelligibleSmurf posted:

I had noticed that my version of swype is out-of-date by a long shot.

The OP says the swype beta has closed though, which is why I've been ignoring everything I can find on google about the beta. I assume that's incorrect then?

The OP hasn't been updated in over half a year and its poster was banned.

Also, looks okay to me.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I've never wiped any data on my phone.

I rooted and then Flashed the following never wiping

Fresh

I got my phone setup good to go and did a Nandroid backup.

Now, if I ever do want to try a new ROM, I should probably do a complete wipe, right?
CyanogenMod7, MIUI, and Synergy all look appealing for at least a try.

In clockwork I'm guessing I would go... wipe data/factory reset, then flash the new ROM.

To me this sounds like a stupid question, but if I do that... does my Nandroid backup go away too?

So, for arguments sake, lets say I flash CM7 and hate it and want to go back to Fresh 4.2. Do I just go back into recovery and do another wipe and then go to Nandroid and recover my backup and have things just like they were?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Krime posted:

I've never wiped any data on my phone.

I rooted and then Flashed the following never wiping

Fresh

I got my phone setup good to go and did a Nandroid backup.

Now, if I ever do want to try a new ROM, I should probably do a complete wipe, right?
CyanogenMod7, MIUI, and Synergy all look appealing for at least a try.

In clockwork I'm guessing I would go... wipe data/factory reset, then flash the new ROM.

To me this sounds like a stupid question, but if I do that... does my Nandroid backup go away too?

So, for arguments sake, lets say I flash CM7 and hate it and want to go back to Fresh 4.2. Do I just go back into recovery and do another wipe and then go to Nandroid and recover my backup and have things just like they were?
Nandroid backups are safe on your SD. No worries.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Civil posted:

Nandroid backups are safe on your SD. No worries.

Many thanks... that's what I figured, but I'm just being cautious.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Krime posted:

Many thanks... that's what I figured, but I'm just being cautious.

Note that, depending on kernels and bootloaders, you may get Weird poo poo™ if you try to restore a nandroid of one ROM over a different ROM. CyanogenMod 7 and MIUI (for versions based on CyanogenMod 7 kernels) are probably compatible (and worst happens you restore the nandroid of the previous environment that I'm sure you made), but I wouldn't restore either over a CM6 or mfr/carrier-based ROM, and vice versa.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always

Ozmodiar posted:

I know a lot of people are fans of MIUI...anyone running/ran it on their EVO 4G and have an opinion

I know all I've done in this thread in the last month or so is sing MIUI's praises, but I'll bite. Honestly it's the only ROM that I'll consider using outside of a Sense build anymore, because it has the finish of Sense but the battery life and user options and functionality that in my opinion not only match but supercede that of CM7. The theming options are beautiful and incredibly well done and I'm able to really get a sleek, compatible look with the ROM that only a well configured Sense ROM can rival. I had a lot of problems with CM7 syncing my facebook contacts at all, and god knows that stock AOSP call screen is hideously ugly, but in MIUI you get a true, beautiful, well programmed T-9 dialer and call screen that syncs to FB contact pictures and looks beautiful. Hell, your contact list syncs to Google Talk and gives a small icon for online status, a feature indisposable to those of us with a Google+ account. If you can get over the lack of a stock app drawer, which I honestly suggest you give a try because I've grown to love it, you'll love MIUI. I have a few screenshots of my build linked in this thread that I recommend you check out but I honestly love MIUI, now. In the last few months it's become a great ROM and it doesn't hurt to try it :)

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

LastInLine posted:

Didn't you already do this when you rooted? Here is a tool you can run to verify whether gfree SIM unlocked your phone.

Son of a bitch. It came out with @SIMLOCK=00 which means my sim is already unlocked, if things are correct. Which means I've probably been wasting people's time and I apologize and thank you all for your help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AllenR posted:

Son of a bitch. It came out with @SIMLOCK=00 which means my sim is already unlocked, if things are correct. Which means I've probably been wasting people's time and I apologize and thank you all for your help.
Not a problem, we're here to help. I figured you'd already done it but at least now you have a better understanding of what you did.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've rooted my Thunderbolt and already installed CM7. However, I am about to try a new kernel. I just flash the kernel, right? Do I have to do any wiping? I just do this in recovery mode, the same way I'd flash a ROM?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Hamburglar posted:

I've rooted my Thunderbolt and already installed CM7. However, I am about to try a new kernel. I just flash the kernel, right? Do I have to do any wiping? I just do this in recovery mode, the same way I'd flash a ROM?

Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache and Battery Stats for maximum stability. And yes, just flash it in recovery mode like a normal rom.

MrBishi
Sep 11, 2001

My pupil goes to 11!
Just thought I'd throw out a recommendation for the new Sense ROMs to anyone with a Desire, turns out that Sense 3.0 runs amazingly well and doesn't suck in the slightest like the older versions did :)

RCMix S is a 2.1/3.0 blend and is running totally rock solid, also there's Cool3D which is a fully 3.0 port from the Sensation and seems to run just as nicely.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache and Battery Stats for maximum stability. And yes, just flash it in recovery mode like a normal rom.

Thanks, for some reason I thought you're supposed to flash the ROM from Bootloader.

Edit: Wait, don't I flash the ROM from the bootloader? I just did it from recovery mode and I'm assuming it worked?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 27, 2011

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Note that, depending on kernels and bootloaders, you may get Weird poo poo™ if you try to restore a nandroid of one ROM over a different ROM. CyanogenMod 7 and MIUI (for versions based on CyanogenMod 7 kernels) are probably compatible (and worst happens you restore the nandroid of the previous environment that I'm sure you made), but I wouldn't restore either over a CM6 or mfr/carrier-based ROM, and vice versa.

Yeah, I learned my lesson from last time and have been taking the appropriate steps from here on out.

Looking at it... I don't really need to mess with my phone much. I'm happy and comfortable with Fresh.

I think I'm just going to leave it be and only update Fresh along the way.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Dumb question: How do I root my phone?

I'm in Korea and have a Nexus S running 2.3.4 (OTA updated a while ago)
baseband version: M200KRKC1
build number GRJ22
manufactured in March 2011
Korean version SEC-SHWM200S(B)
SHW-M200K

I just want to get access to a different appstore so I can download more apps, especially Skype 2.0 so I can make video calls. I don't want to mess with different roms or anything yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Are there any decent Sense 3.0 roms for the N1? Just interested in looking Sense over in more detail...

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

politicorific posted:

Dumb question: How do I root my phone?

I'm in Korea and have a Nexus S running 2.3.4 (OTA updated a while ago)
baseband version: M200KRKC1
build number GRJ22
manufactured in March 2011
Korean version SEC-SHWM200S(B)
SHW-M200K

I just want to get access to a different appstore so I can download more apps, especially Skype 2.0 so I can make video calls. I don't want to mess with different roms or anything yet.

http://nexusshacks.com/nexus-s-hacks/how-to-root-nexus-s/

Check around to see if Korean Nexus S needs a different Clockwork mod, but otherwise that tells you all the steps.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

tehfox0r posted:

Stuff about MIUI

Thanks. I may have to give it a go.

It's all open-source, right? (I mean, I know Android is...but is everything else about it open-source like CyanogenMod?) Im sure enough people run it that I can be reasonably sure its safe, but I'd rather be cautious.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Ozmodiar posted:

It's all open-source, right? (I mean, I know Android is...but is everything else about it open-source like CyanogenMod?) Im sure enough people run it that I can be reasonably sure its safe, but I'd rather be cautious.

MIUI is not open source, as far as I know.

Android is mostly - barring GPL stuff like the kernel - licensed under BSD, which allows derivative works to be closed source.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ozmodiar posted:

It's all open-source, right? (I mean, I know Android is...but is everything else about it open-source like CyanogenMod?) Im sure enoughpeople run it that I can be reasonably sure its safe, but I'd rather be cautious.

It's not open source. This along with the use of code from cyanogen without giving credit are my two biggest criticisms of it.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I just got a Samsung Galaxy SII and would like to root it, load on CM7 or MIUI, etc. I've modded a HTC Desire successfully in the past but haven't had to mess with rooting since then. I've found a whole bunch of tutorials on the XDA-Dev Forums but have no context as to which of them are relevant to me, or the order I should do things in. I remember with the Desire I had to create a goldcard, hack the bootloader, root the phone, perform a nandroid backup, load a custom radio and then a custom ROM. Is there any chance someone could help me out and describe a similar overview/summary of the entire process on the Galaxy SII?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Leathal posted:

Android is mostly - barring GPL stuff like the kernel - licensed under BSD, which allows derivative works to be closed source.

I think you mean licensed under Apache.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is kind of a nooby question...but will I get the new Market OTA since I'm runing CM7, or will I need to manually download the apk? Not sure exactly how the Market update relates to OTA carrier OS updates, which I realize I wouldn't get.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Leathal posted:

MIUI is also Chinese, so gently caress the laws.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Casao posted:

MIUI is also Chinese, so gently caress the laws.

Chinese as gently caress.

Both of these were listed under the "hottest" themes section. The best part is that they're more professional looking than 95% of the crap you normally see.

e. I forgot I had a conference call right after posting this, and so I wound up with the Chairman staring at me the entire call. Awesome.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 27, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Note that, depending on kernels and bootloaders, you may get Weird poo poo™ if you try to restore a nandroid of one ROM over a different ROM.

So what exactly will a NAND backup do for me? I thought it was a complete image of my phone, but you're saying that the existing ROM will have an affect on the backup process.

Like, just last night I tried to update my Android Revolution ROM from .1 to .3 but after installation I rebooted and got stuck on the bootup screen (white with green HTC) and had to pull the battery. I went back into recovery and restored from the NAND I just made and was right back where I began, but would that not have worked if I'd been trying to do MIUI or some other completely different ROM?

So let's say I'm trying a completely different ROM type. If the new ROM fails would I have to re-flash my old ROM, then restore on top of that from my NAND from that ROM? I'm just starting to play with the idea of putting different ROMs on my Inspire but I've been really happy with AR and I want to be sure I know how to get back to it in a worst case scenario.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Takes No Damage posted:

So what exactly will a NAND backup do for me? I thought it was a complete image of my phone, but you're saying that the existing ROM will have an affect on the backup process.

Like, just last night I tried to update my Android Revolution ROM from .1 to .3 but after installation I rebooted and got stuck on the bootup screen (white with green HTC) and had to pull the battery. I went back into recovery and restored from the NAND I just made and was right back where I began, but would that not have worked if I'd been trying to do MIUI or some other completely different ROM?

So let's say I'm trying a completely different ROM type. If the new ROM fails would I have to re-flash my old ROM, then restore on top of that from my NAND from that ROM? I'm just starting to play with the idea of putting different ROMs on my Inspire but I've been really happy with AR and I want to be sure I know how to get back to it in a worst case scenario.

A Nandroid backup is a complete system image, I have no idea what the guy was talking about. You do not have to flash poo poo before restoring a Nandroid backup. Maybe he was confusing it with TI? If you backup system settings in TI and try to load them on a different ROM your phone can explode.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
OK that's more how I understood it. Titanium Backup just backs up app and system data, it still has to load that data back into a compatible OS. A NAND is like a restore point, you could run it on a blank device and it would stamp that image onto the hardware and you'd be off and running.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

Both of these were listed under the "hottest" themes section. The best part is that they're more professional looking than 95% of the crap you normally see.

e. I forgot I had a conference call right after posting this, and so I wound up with the Chairman staring at me the entire call. Awesome.

Holy crap the one on the right is awesome. I think it is time for a switch.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

jassa posted:

I just got a Samsung Galaxy SII and would like to root it, load on CM7 or MIUI, etc. I've modded a HTC Desire successfully in the past but haven't had to mess with rooting since then. I've found a whole bunch of tutorials on the XDA-Dev Forums but have no context as to which of them are relevant to me, or the order I should do things in. I remember with the Desire I had to create a goldcard, hack the bootloader, root the phone, perform a nandroid backup, load a custom radio and then a custom ROM. Is there any chance someone could help me out and describe a similar overview/summary of the entire process on the Galaxy SII?

So as near as I can gather, the Galaxy S2 has an unlocked bootloader which means I can skip straight to rooting the phone. Apparently this can be done by simply loading a custom ROM on the device... though I thought you needed root before you could load a custom ROM?

What am I missing here?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jassa posted:

What am I missing here?

That you don't need root to load a custom rom. :D

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Thermopyle posted:

That you don't need root to load a custom rom. :D

Seriously? Goddamn that's fantastic. People told me to go with the Galaxy S2 over the HTC Sensation because it was much easier to root and load custom ROMs, and they really weren't kidding!

Thanks for clarifying. From what I can see, Litening, MIUI and CyanogenMod 7 seem to be the most polished and popular ROMs for the S2. I'll try out one of those today. :)

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

jassa posted:

Seriously? Goddamn that's fantastic. People told me to go with the Galaxy S2 over the HTC Sensation because it was much easier to root and load custom ROMs, and they really weren't kidding!

Thanks for clarifying. From what I can see, Litening, MIUI and CyanogenMod 7 seem to be the most polished and popular ROMs for the S2. I'll try out one of those today. :)

Yes, seriously.

"Rooting" as a whole, is generally all lumped together. In reality, "rooting" is simply gaining root-access to your OS.

In order to install a custom ROM, you need to be able to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery.

Since the process for most phones is root->unlock bootloader->flash custom recovery->flash rooted ROM/custom ROM, people just refer to the whole thing as "rooting".

Dansu
Jun 26, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mr. Despair posted:

Man I want that so bad, I wish the Evo 3d would get rooted properly soon.

Huxian
Nov 12, 2008

"It's not just the swearing either. She's got quick fists too."
For those on Vibrant, are there any good 2.3 ROMs with good battery life? MIUI is absolutely slaughtering my battery (roughly seven or eight hours or so with moderate usage), or should I be going back to Froyo?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Paramour posted:

For those on Vibrant, are there any good 2.3 ROMs with good battery life? MIUI is absolutely slaughtering my battery (roughly seven or eight hours or so with moderate usage), or should I be going back to Froyo?

I'm getting great (for the Vibrant) battery life with CM7.

That's with very little usage, but even with moderate usage I'm getting about 16 hours.

I'd guess you have a misbehaving app.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
CM4DX updated to Android 2.3.5, is "most definitely stable."

And while I'm here: Is there any way to force the backlight on the hardware buttons to be fullbright? Through the CM settings or otherwise. Call me crazy, but I liked that while I was running stock 2.3.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

I've got a nexus s 4g, which I've rooted, but haven't flashed with a custom rom. I'm now getting an OTA notification, presumably for 2.3.5. Can I accept that update, or will bad things happen to my phone? I'd really rather avoid flashing the thing, especially because I've got a vpn token app that has to be reset every time I have to reinstall it. I've poked about on the xda forums, but everyone there seems to be all about custom roms and other stuff I haven't bothered with.