Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

My fiancé's 2006 Piaggio Fly 150 has a strange acceleration profile, and I'm curious to find a way to adjust it. Accelerating from 0-20mph is abysmally slow, but from there it accelerates just like my 2009 Fly 150 to 60mph. This presents a problem in areas where the speed limit is higher than the scooter can get to in a reasonable time pulling out into dense traffic. I know it's an older scoot, but the 0-20mph acceleration really is surprisingly terrible. I'm not looking to up the top speed or anything, but is there a way to adjust the low-end acceleration without taking the engine apart and adjusting the transmission? If not, can someone give me some advice as to how I would go about doing so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
She may have some flat spots on the roller weights, they need to be changed every few thousand miles.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
So I'm taking my C3 home from Seattle back to LA, and I'm trying to plot a route home, while avoiding some of the serious elevation issues I had on the way up (20 mph top speed? Holy doesn't like thin air, Batman), and I'd basically like to just follow the coast all the way home. What portions of the coast highway aren't legal for a 50cc, and is there a way to determine that while looking at the (google) map?

Also holy poo poo, no one carries tires for this drat thing. What the gently caress.

edit: and by no one, I mean no actual store that I can walk into and buy a 120/90-10. Hope I have enough rubber to go another 1200 miles.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
Just get a can of this stuff and give your tires a couple of coats.

:haw:

NotJoe
Jun 22, 2004

A brave man is a man who dares to look the Devil in the face and tell him he is a Devil.
My family is getting together for some camping this weekend, and I'm thinking about taking friday off and riding my scooter to the site. I'm pretty good about packing super light, but I'll need to carry at least a small tent, sleeping bag and pad with me.

Heres the route. Its close to 100 miles, would take probably 3 hours with a fair amount of sustained 55mph stretches. I could just take it slower and let people pass me, but should I be concerned with overheating? I have a 2005 2t Stella with sito+. In the year I've been riding, the only Issues I've had are a frayed spark plug wire and a slow leak flat tire. Engine is pretty tip top. I've kept it at 55 for probably 10 minutes max before, but I've never taken it outside the city on a longer ride, so I'm not sure what to expect. I'll also be riding alone.

I plan on carrying some fix-a-flat, a small tool kit, a ~20oz bottle of spare gas and some extra 2t oil. Is there anything else I absolutely need to carry?

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

Back in 09 a few of us rode about 300 miles from Nashville tennessee to the Ocoee river for a rally. 2 guys had 05 to 07 Stellas, 3 had vintage Vespas 2 had new 4 stroke scooters and I had my 110cc 2t Rattler. we all made it with the only problem being the guy on the Sim Mio Pluss lost the bolts that held his exhaust on. I think that as long as you pay attention and drive safe you will be just fine. The only thing I would do differently would be to exchange the fix-a-flat with a tire plug kit, fix-a-flat is very temporary while people can ride on a plugged tire for the life of the tire and if you can't fix the tire with a tire plug then you sure wont be able to fix it with fix-a-flat. Also bring a small role of duck tape just in case.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Circus Pies! posted:

The only thing I would do differently would be to exchange the fix-a-flat with a tire plug kit, fix-a-flat is very temporary while people can ride on a plugged tire for the life of the tire and if you can't fix the tire with a tire plug then you sure wont be able to fix it with fix-a-flat.

Stellas have split rims and use tubes. For a long ride on a Stella, check that your spare is in good shape and leave enough PSI in it that you could use it front or rear (since rear takes 32psi, front takes 22, leave it at 32psi and let air out if you need to use it on the front).

I actually just bought (like 30 minutes ago) a new Zippy 1 to replace my spare (my original rear, which is very worn) before I do ~300mi this weekend... but I forgot to buy a new tube. Guess I go back tomorrow!

The sustained high-speed stretches are very doable. Did you upjet properly when you installed the Sito+? If you did, you should have no problem. If you didn't, and you're running the stock-size main jet, you will probably seize your engine.

There might be some wisdom in using a cooler spark plug. I will be for this weekend, but more for peace of mind than any known reason. I'll also be carrying spare spark plugs. You should, too.

Another thing you absolutely need to carry: a cell phone.

On my trip this weekend (riding about 90 miles to a rally Friday, riding in the rally Saturday, and then riding 90 miles back Sunday, probably totaling 250+mi) I'll be avoiding WOT for most of it. It'll be both my most miles at once (the ride there) and the most in a weekend. I've done 80 miles before, but it was just cruising with plenty of stops, not to a destination.

If you do 50 (or 45) instead of 55, it really won't take THAT much longer.

Good luck on your trip!!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
While we are on the subject of jetting: I have a 2007 Vino 125 that I put an NCY exhaust on. Reading old posts from other forums leads me to believe that the Vino runs pretty rich stock as a regular mod people used to do was drill out the end of the exhaust for sound and what most people said was a little bit of top-end acceleration gain (probably placebo) without ever upjetting the bike.

I've done about 500 miles on the bike since I installed the exhaust, still running a stock main jet and stock intake/air box. The bike is faster, no doubt about it. I can do just over 60 mph on flat pavement, tucked down, where as before I was lucky to get over 55. There is no popping on deceleration, and the bike seemingly runs perfect. Do I need to upjet?

I bought a new airbox cover (and drilled a bunch of holes in it) and foam filter and have jets, I just haven't gotten around to jetting it as I know not to install the air box cover and filter as it will definitely be running lean if I don't upjet. I'm almost considering not even installing the air filter and airbox cover as I am getting good power out of this thing already. What do you guys think?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd probably give installation a try at least. If it adds more top end, great, if not, it's pretty easy to swap back.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

NotJoe posted:

I plan on carrying some fix-a-flat, a small tool kit, a ~20oz bottle of spare gas and some extra 2t oil. Is there anything else I absolutely need to carry?

A spare clutch cable (and maybe gear cables) and some new spark plugs are always handy to have.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Well, scooter is in the shop and I guess there are TOP MEN looking at it to see what is wrong. Hopefully it doesn't take too much longer for them to fix the problem.

I do have a question for other Stella owners. Did you ever receive a membership number for the free roadside assistance? I've had to call them twice and every time they ask for my number. I don't have one so I have to give them a bunch of information before they can find me in the system. When I asked at the dealer they said I should have received it when I bought the scooter, but I think they were thinking of the phone number, not the membership number. I've tried contacting Genuine via email and twitter but haven't heard anything back. It isn't that big of a deal since it all works out in the end, but it does get annoying having to give them the same information over and over.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Anyone have a good recommendation for a tire pressure gauge? I'd love one that just screwed on or something with a tube.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Looking for a new project. How hard are parts to find for a Honda CT110? http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2508557509.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ari.gato posted:

Looking for a new project. How hard are parts to find for a Honda CT110? http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2508557509.html

Not too hard http://www.dratv.com

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Summer finally hits in Seattle, and then this happens to my friend's scooter, a '66 Bajaj with a 6-month-old Stella engine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPE9ruxHpYE
Obviously we've got the cylinder partly pulled off (wouldn't come all the way out, it hits the body). poo poo seems to get caught as he tries to spin it.

Not sure what it is. He was doing this curbside, and didn't want to try dropping the engine and splitting the cases on the street. He's calling around to see if anyone will let him use their garage.

He was coming back from a ride doing maybe 30mph, heard some clatters and then the rear wheel locked up. Assumed it was seized at first and he was all ready to order a DR kit, but when he took the head off, the barrel and piston both looked good. There are some metal chunks, though. Maybe it sucked in the (metal) reed? Maybe the crank failed, or a bearing? All of these have happened to Stellas! :iiam:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Sucks that he's most likely going to have to pull the whole thing and take it apart to find out what what broke and what damage the metal chunks caused.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
So my buddy showed the video and pics to a (very trusted) local scooter mech who's very confident that the crank hit the case, meaning the whole thing is basically hosed. He's trying to get ScooterWorks to help him out.

But he's probably going to be looking for a P200 engine.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
The Hamster Run 6: Pirates of the Chuckanut: Hex of the Hamsters

Cheesy, long name, but a great rally.

A fellow with a chest-mounted GoPro recorded a bunch of Saturday's riding. Here's several hours of wheel time compacted into 35 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7AdkfzMAg

e: lol that's me on the side of the road; I hit my transmission on a curb pulling out from the gas station and had to check for damage (there was none)

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 5, 2011

jdubbya
Jan 14, 2009
Hey, OP. Can you edit in my forum into the origional post:
https://www.zumaforums.net dedicated to the Yamaha Zuma 50 and 125

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Blinkers stopped working so went to Scooterhelp to see what I could do. I used the directions for diagnosing what was wrong and the relay was shot, so had to get one. Luckily they had one at Canuckistanian Tire, but I for got what way the wires went, and the last possible configuration was what I ended up fixing it with. :)

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The Hamster Run 6: Pirates of the Chuckanut: Hex of the Hamsters

Cheesy, long name, but a great rally.

A fellow with a chest-mounted GoPro recorded a bunch of Saturday's riding. Here's several hours of wheel time compacted into 35 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7AdkfzMAg

e: lol that's me on the side of the road; I hit my transmission on a curb pulling out from the gas station and had to check for damage (there was none)

That ride looks like it was a blast. I think the guy who does the Scootin' Old Skool blog was in that ride.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Mushika posted:

That ride looks like it was a blast. I think the guy who does the Scootin' Old Skool blog was in that ride.

Yep! Orin is a nice guy, we always chat when we see each other at rallies. For the big ride this year he drove the support truck, but he got to scooter on the earlier ride.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is more of a scooter than a moped, so I'll double post it: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/2538825003.html

I emailed this guy to check it out. Anything I should look out for and what's a fair offer on it?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
2005 Kymco Grandvista, 22k miles, replacement key. Title in hand. $1200 negotiable. Should I spend a hundred bucks and have a motorcycle mechanic look it over before purchase given the mileage, or is it a reasonable enough price pending me going over the grand poobah list of motorcycle evaluation (http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html)? Or don't even bother if I'm looking for a 250cc scooter that isn't necessarily a Helix/Reflex under $2200 used?

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 17, 2011

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hey goons, my friend is trying to decide between a couple scooters(this is our first time) and i was wondering the average mileage a scooter might get? The one i think she should get based on everything but mileage is a 150 cc 2004 Aprillio Mojito with 10k miles.

My preference is mostly because the other is a 100 cc and she wants to have a passenger on the hilly campus.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MJP posted:

2005 Kymco Grandvista, 22k miles, replacement key. Title in hand. $1200 negotiable. Should I spend a hundred bucks and have a motorcycle mechanic look it over before purchase given the mileage, or is it a reasonable enough price pending me going over the grand poobah list of motorcycle evaluation (http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html)? Or don't even bother if I'm looking for a 250cc scooter that isn't necessarily a Helix/Reflex under $2200 used?

Depends on how much $1200 is to you, I guess. Can you take a $1200 gamble? If you're mechanically inclined at all I'd say inspect it yourself, with the caveat that you specifically look up CVT information on that scooter. Two parts in CVTs need routine replacing: the roller weights and the belt. At 22k that scooter probably isn't on its first of either, and if it is they'll probably have to be replaced (which is generally not complicated). The list you posted is probably good for everything else on the bike, but at a cursory glance I didn't see anything about scooters/CVTs.

The Kymco is probably a great bike, especially for $1200. I doubt a $2200 Honda would be $1000 nicer.

Nasgate posted:

Hey goons, my friend is trying to decide between a couple scooters(this is our first time) and i was wondering the average mileage a scooter might get? The one i think she should get based on everything but mileage is a 150 cc 2004 Aprillio Mojito with 10k miles.

My preference is mostly because the other is a 100 cc and she wants to have a passenger on the hilly campus.

First: if she's new to riding, carrying a passenger should be completely out of mind. It's not like carrying a passenger after learning to drive, it completely changes everything. The weight distribution is wrong, the braking and accelerating are tanked, the passenger shifting their rear end 2" can make you topple at a stop light or gently caress up your cornering, etc. Really should rack up a year+ on the scooter before taking on a passenger.

For a modern 150cc 4-stroke scooter, you're probably looking at a minimum 65mpg, depending on things like rider weight, riding style, state of tune, tire pressure, etc. A 100cc might do better, but you'd pretty much have to compare specific bikes (ie an '04 Scarabeo 100 versus an '04 Mojito 150, not just 100cc vs. 150cc). The 150cc will assuredly be more powerful, though.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
So the other night I parked out in front of my ghetto apartment instead of behind the apartment. The next morning I had a flat tire and the valve cap was missing. I had just got it back from a mechanic, so I'm pretty sure there was one on there the night before. Therefore, I'm guessing it is just a deflated tire instead of a puncture. Anyways I'm wary of walking it to the nearest gas station (3-4 blocks) in fear that it will damage the rim. I bought some fix-a-flat, but have read online that you shouldn't use the standard tire can for scooters. Also, it's just a temporary fix and supposedly gunks up the tires and infuriates mechanics. I don't believe I know anyone with an air compressor either. Any advice?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

odinson posted:

So the other night I parked out in front of my ghetto apartment instead of behind the apartment. The next morning I had a flat tire and the valve cap was missing. I had just got it back from a mechanic, so I'm pretty sure there was one on there the night before. Therefore, I'm guessing it is just a deflated tire instead of a puncture. Anyways I'm wary of walking it to the nearest gas station (3-4 blocks) in fear that it will damage the rim. I bought some fix-a-flat, but have read online that you shouldn't use the standard tire can for scooters. Also, it's just a temporary fix and supposedly gunks up the tires and infuriates mechanics. I don't believe I know anyone with an air compressor either. Any advice?

Do you have a bicycle tire pump? It's what I use. If not, invest the :10bux:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I rode an '02 Reflex with 97xx miles on it last night. It felt pretty good, just a little rumble when I was slowly throttling up from a stop. Should I be worried or is this standard Reflex behavior? It felt the same way as the 125cc motorcycle I once rode as I was slowly letting in the clutch from a stop.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

First: if she's new to riding, carrying a passenger should be completely out of mind. It's not like carrying a passenger after learning to drive, it completely changes everything. The weight distribution is wrong, the braking and accelerating are tanked, the passenger shifting their rear end 2" can make you topple at a stop light or gently caress up your cornering, etc. Really should rack up a year+ on the scooter before taking on a passenger.

For a modern 150cc 4-stroke scooter, you're probably looking at a minimum 65mpg, depending on things like rider weight, riding style, state of tune, tire pressure, etc. A 100cc might do better, but you'd pretty much have to compare specific bikes (ie an '04 Scarabeo 100 versus an '04 Mojito 150, not just 100cc vs. 150cc). The 150cc will assuredly be more powerful, though.

Thank you for the information! I was also wondering at how many miles is a scooter a riskier buy? Multiple people have been saying that 10k is a lot, though the guy has kept it in amazing condition and is having a mechanic do full maintenance before giving it to her. And i was just wondering what kind of lifetime scooters get.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

MJP posted:

So I rode an '02 Reflex with 97xx miles on it last night. It felt pretty good, just a little rumble when I was slowly throttling up from a stop. Should I be worried or is this standard Reflex behavior? It felt the same way as the 125cc motorcycle I once rode as I was slowly letting in the clutch from a stop.

The rumble could be the roller weights in the CVT. They tend to wear unevenly and get flat spots, and when they do the transmission doesn't variate smoothly. They're a standard wear item, and generally pretty easy to deal with.

Weights are also a way to tune performance. Lighter weights yield quicker acceleration, but if they're too light they may hinder top speed.

Nasgate posted:

Thank you for the information! I was also wondering at how many miles is a scooter a riskier buy? Multiple people have been saying that 10k is a lot, though the guy has kept it in amazing condition and is having a mechanic do full maintenance before giving it to her. And i was just wondering what kind of lifetime scooters get.

10k is a lot just because the market is generally flooded with <5k scooters. So many people buy them and barely ride. I do not think 10k is, mechanically, a lot.

I'm pretty sure that Aprilia has the same Piaggio LEADER engine that got put in a bunch of other Piaggio family scooters (Vespa, Piaggio, Aprilia).

If it's really been well maintained (and continues to be) it's probably got another 10k before serious things start to happen.

I'd also point out that you will be able to find many mechanics who will know how to work on that bike, and parts should be easy to come by as well.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I've also got an '02 Reflex and I don't think the shake has anything to do with the roller weights, I think the engine just vibrates a lot at certain RPMs and makes all the plastic rattle a bit. It's not really a big deal.

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I wanted to go to the Lambretta Jamboree this year in Portland with some friends, the only problem being I didn't have a Lambretta. So about two weeks before the rally I bought a 1980 Serveta Jet 200 and with the help of friends proceeded to do a complete engine rebuild, recabling, etc. Finished literally right before we loaded all our bikes up an left. It is without a doubt the best motorscooter I've ever ridden.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Adderholt posted:

I wanted to go to the Lambretta Jamboree this year in Portland with some friends, the only problem being I didn't have a Lambretta. So about two weeks before the rally I bought a 1980 Serveta Jet 200 and with the help of friends proceeded to do a complete engine rebuild, recabling, etc. Finished literally right before we loaded all our bikes up an left. It is without a doubt the best motorscooter I've ever ridden.

Awesome. I'm jealous.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

Here's some scooter porn from last Tuesday's meet up.

Sorry for the lovely cell phone quality.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I have a 1986 elite 80 with 8000 miles and when i get to the top speed of 40 45 it makes a whining noise. Is this something to worry about or not?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I'm guessing that's the belt. My scooter with far fewer miles on it also does that. Do you know when the belt was last replaced?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Not sure the guy i bought it from said he had it serviced every summer. But that could mean anything. If its just the belt would that also hurt my top end? err i mean top speed. On a side note ive been delivering sandwiches for work on it. The gas im saving is awesome.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

If it's your belt it's eventually going to hurt your ability to move the scooter at all. Change the belt and change the roller weights, there's just no reason not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friggin Joe
Dec 30, 2005
Title text is optional, but so compelling
I bought a chinascoot because I wanted to see if I liked using one and wanted to learned how they work so I could have a vehicle I maintain on my own.
You have no choice but to learn how Chinese scooters work. Or they won't run.

There is it.

I love it though, it's a 250cc Jonway YY250T(doesn't matter which name brand you use, it's generic Chinese drop-shipped) Honda Reflex clone. It'll get to 70 on the highways just fine, has enough storage under the seat and in the rear trunk for almost anything I need and I'm spending like 4 bucks filling the tank up every week. I'm pretty sure I'm getting over 70mpg.

I took it apart and replaced the spark plug, fluids, most of the hoses for fuel and air, fuses, which all came out to pretty cheap. I epoxied a 6" solar panel to the center between the foot platforms so even the POS battery's always topped off, and stuck a GPS mount on the windshield.

It's loving awesome, really. I'll probably die on it.
I don't ever wanna drive my car again, barring snow or some TV purchase that I gotta bring home. It's pretty damned entertaining being on a scooter and riding with highway traffic. On account of scooters being gay and all.

1500 miles on it so far and I'm certain I'm gonna eventually get a quality dealership scooter, but I keep getting tempted by less practical motorcycles.

Friggin Joe fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 2, 2011