Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Eggplant Wizard posted:

No, I'd be kind of concerned. He's eaten a little bit, so that's definitely good. Maybe you can tempt him by warming it up a bit so it's stinky?

I'm hoping you're taking him to the vet tomorrow to get his various issues checked out, so he should be okay till then, especially if you get more food into him.

I'm at the very least calling the humane society during work tomorrow to ask if they noticed anything wrong or suggestions. If I can't get help there he is off to the vet. He threw up quite a bit again today and it looked brown but not solid in it. He has been drinking water so at least there is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Popete he definitely needs to go to a vet. Not eating and vomiting for more than one day is a pretty big deal for any cat, and more so for a young kitten. Please take him.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Especially if the vomit isn't solid.

A cat not eating for multiple days is DEADLY SERIOUS. I'm sorry I didn't emphasize that more yesterday, but I figured you'd take him. If he's still not eating he could already be developing liver problems. Please take him to the vet as soon as you can (TODAY).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is there any particular reason my cat can't seem to see the water in her bowl? She sees everything else perfectly fine. However she'll complain, get me to follow her, I'll go to her bowl, and have to splash it about before she starts drinking, like she didn't realise it was in there already.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Lots of cats prefer running water. You are her cheap-rear end fountain.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Or take a single sip from a glass of water. My cats will move heaven and earth to reach my nighttime water glass and drink from it, even if the water in their dish is fresher.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Klungar posted:

Or take a single sip from a glass of water. My cats will move heaven and earth to reach my nighttime water glass and drink from it, even if the water in their dish is fresher.

My cats will only drink from their dish if there isn't a glass of water on my night stand and the toilet lid is closed. Any water except for the fresh, cold, filtered water I put in their dish.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well I called the humane society and they told me to bring him in and get check out. He lost quite a bit of weight :( went from 1.05 to .85 kg. He hasn't thrown up today and the vet gave him some nutritional liquid as well some vitamin B to stimulate his appetite. She also gave me some different canned foods to try giving him. Again he didn't want to eat anything straight out of the can when I got home but I tried mixing some in with warm water and he seemed to like that, drinking the liquid for a little while. I'm hoping he starts to take to this cause I don't really know what to do at this point. They said if he isn't eating still tomorrow to call them again to see where to go from there.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Popete posted:

Well I called the humane society and they told me to bring him in and get check out. He lost quite a bit of weight :( went from 1.05 to .85 kg. He hasn't thrown up today and the vet gave him some nutritional liquid as well some vitamin B to stimulate his appetite. She also gave me some different canned foods to try giving him. Again he didn't want to eat anything straight out of the can when I got home but I tried mixing some in with warm water and he seemed to like that, drinking the liquid for a little while. I'm hoping he starts to take to this cause I don't really know what to do at this point. They said if he isn't eating still tomorrow to call them again to see where to go from there.

Have you tried hard food at all? Some cats hate wet food.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have that is the first thing I gave him was what they have at the shelter hard food. It's sitting out for him all the time but I dont think he has touched it that I can tell. Good news dropped a nice long turd solid too. That's the first I have seen of that, so maybe he was eating some well i was at work today. He continued to eat a little bit out of the canned food, and he ate a tiny bit of cooked hamburger. I'm hoping this is the start of him getting his appetite back, I'm gonna give him some warmed up food in a little bit as well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention well looking through his medical records, he was neutered on Friday and I got him on saturday. Think the surgery could be a big part of this? Even this many days later?

Popete fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 26, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Popete posted:

I have that is the first thing I gave him was what they have at the shelter hard food. It's sitting out for him all the time but I dont think he has touched it that I can tell. Good news dropped a nice long turd solid too. That's the first I have seen of that, so maybe he was eating some well i was at work today. He continued to eat a little bit out of the canned food, and he ate a tiny bit of cooked hamburger. I'm hoping this is the start of him getting his appetite back, I'm gonna give him some warmed up food in a little bit as well.

EDIT: I forgot to mention well looking through his medical records, he was neutered on Friday and I got him on saturday. Think the surgery could be a big part of this? Even this many days later?

It's unlikely that he'd still be feeling the surgery. Maybe he has difficulty with the texture of the wet food? Have you tried both pate and chunky styles? For now, keep mixing it with water... Anything to keep him eating. Poor little guy :ohdear:

Oh, actually, this is another idea. You could probably supplement his food with KMR (replacement milk for kittens that you can buy at a pet store). It should be nutritionally good for him & also maybe easier for him to eat. He's too old for it, presumably, since he's big enough to get neutered, but right now the concern is getting him fattened up & nutritionally satisfied.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So this probably isn't a big problem but I just wanted to bring it up.

My kitty has been very healthy since she moved in with me a few months ago - no instances of digestive problems or anything. I got woken up by a weird sound lastnight which turned out to be her vomiting unproductively, but for a small amount of semi-clear liquid. It wasn't too long before breakfast-time for her, so I gput out half a small tin of wet food which she ate, and she seemed fine after, no more hacking or vomiting as far as I could hear.

I'm not sure what caused it, though. Only thing I could think of would be perhaps she ate too much cat grass. I periodically grow little patches of cat grass in pots for her to munch on if need be, which has seemed to generally be a good thing for her digestion, and she enjoys eating it occasionally. She always has very healthy, solid poop and has never had a single issue in that department whatsoever. The grass that was out there was getting a little on the old side - maybe a tiny bit droopy. Normally I'd be replacing it in a couple days. So I figured she maybe ate too much of it, combined with a little dehydration maybe? It's been hot lately and while she's handled it fine so far, you can't really force a cat to drink a lot of fluids or anything, heh.

Shuold I stop putting cat grass out for her? I definitely got rid of the last batch. I sort of figure this stuff just happens sometimes and I shouldn't worry unless it becomes more of a problem. Like I said, afterwards she ate her food and stopped heaving, so unless it recurs I shouldn't change anything?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Hey all, just looking for a bit more advice on my kitty.

He is about 2-3 months old now, and he seems quite healthy. He eats like a goddamn horse. No matter how much I feed him he always seems hungry and tries to steal my food. He is relentless.

Currently I'm feeding him Innova Cat/Kitten food, about 3 ounces 3-4 times a day.

Is this too little? Should I be supplementing him with something else still? Or is this a sign of something else that he is so hungry.

Just to clarify, he's not constantly whining for food, but when I do bring the food out he knows I am preparing it and cries until he is fed. He will loving INHALE the food, and then still seem hungry. For example I will be eating some food soon after he has his meal and he will come and try to get it over and over.

He seems in great health, though. His coat is getting nicer and nicer (it was pretty scraggly when I found him), his stool looks healthy, and he has insane amounts of energy. He doesn't throw up or have any health problems that I have noticed so far.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
You're feeding him 3 ounces over 3-4 meals or 3 ounces every meal 3-4 times a day? The latter is waaaaayyy too much food

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
^^^

As lovable as they are. Kittens are selfish assholes who want ALL the food for themselves, they'll just poop a bunch, not bury it and then go get the rest.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Cabbage, my 5-6 month old kitten has a bump on his rump under his skin, it doesn't feel like a bone. What is it?

Vet told me it was likely the result of the shot he got during his last vaccination.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I may have overshot, I get the large 13.2oz cans of Innova and they generally last 3 days, but sometimes 2-2.5.

I didn't even consider that I was overfeeding him since he seems to, like I said, loving inhale the food, and then still come try and steal any food I'm eating or any food he can smell/see.

Perhaps it's closer to 2 ounces 2-3 times a day, but still sounds like I'm giving him too much.

He does leave ungodly amounts of doo-doo in his litter box, I had noticed that as well.

Looks like I'm going to have to wean him down on the feeding schedule a bit, he's not gonna like that at all...

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Bleh Maestro posted:

I may have overshot, I get the large 13.2oz cans of Innova and they generally last 3 days, but sometimes 2-2.5.

I didn't even consider that I was overfeeding him since he seems to, like I said, loving inhale the food, and then still come try and steal any food I'm eating or any food he can smell/see.

Perhaps it's closer to 2 ounces 2-3 times a day, but still sounds like I'm giving him too much.

He does leave ungodly amounts of doo-doo in his litter box, I had noticed that as well.

Looks like I'm going to have to wean him down on the feeding schedule a bit, he's not gonna like that at all...

Still way too much food for a kitten. He will act like he's absolutely dying of hunger because you feed him when he cries, he's not.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eggplant Wizard posted:

It's unlikely that he'd still be feeling the surgery. Maybe he has difficulty with the texture of the wet food? Have you tried both pate and chunky styles? For now, keep mixing it with water... Anything to keep him eating. Poor little guy :ohdear:

Oh, actually, this is another idea. You could probably supplement his food with KMR (replacement milk for kittens that you can buy at a pet store). It should be nutritionally good for him & also maybe easier for him to eat. He's too old for it, presumably, since he's big enough to get neutered, but right now the concern is getting him fattened up & nutritionally satisfied.

Thanks for the suggestion. We are about to go down to the local pet store to try out some different foods, the guy working on the phone seemed really helpful and said he would give me some samples to try, they also have an open bag return policy for food. I gave him some tuna from a can when I got home and he ate it all up :) that was such a good feeling. So if this fails atleast he likes tuna.

Sot
Jul 27, 2011
Here is the situation: I have a 1 year old female cat. She is healthy, has all vaccinations but she is fairly reclusive and do not want that much human interaction. She does like to play with me and does seek out my petting from time to time, but usually only once a day or so. She often shys away from me when i try to touch her. I used to have a second cat, but do not have her anymore because of an accident. The two cats got allong great and played allot. But now I think both me and my remaining cat could use some more attension. I have had cats for most of my life so how to treat them is not really a problem.

So this is my plan, and where I could use some advice and some simple "is this a good idea"? I plan on finding a male cat to mate with my female one, so she can get kittens. My own cat is of none descript race so as long as the other one seems like a "nice" cat, its race won't matter. Once the kittens are born ill keep an eye out for one that both gets along with the mother and myself. Once the they are ready to be taken from their mother, ill keep that kitten and give the rest away to frieds/fammily. I wont give any of the kittens to an animal shelter since 90% of those will end up being put down anyway. I may have to put down some of the kittens myself (ill get a vet to do it) and that will be tough, but morally I do not have more of a problem with that, than killing a chicken and eating it. My kittens will proppably have had a better life than the chicken. My sister is interrested in 2 kittens, and I might find others who are inerrested as well. So if it is a small litter, I hope to not have to put any of the kittens down.

When the kitten have grown up a bit, and then have both the cats sterriliced.

So how does this plan sound?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Popete posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. We are about to go down to the local pet store to try out some different foods, the guy working on the phone seemed really helpful and said he would give me some samples to try, they also have an open bag return policy for food. I gave him some tuna from a can when I got home and he ate it all up :) that was such a good feeling. So if this fails atleast he likes tuna.

KMR is a really great bet in the mean time to make sure the kitten is getting its nutrients. Be careful about sampling around, since its young its tummy may not adjust well to food changes frequently. Normal, adult cats generally get runny poop and stuff which can dehydrate a kitten. Its not a super panic issue, just a little extra caution for a tiny kitty. Local pet shops are great, mine throws samples at me by the bag full "just in case" because I always shop there. I have so many sample bags of evo in my pantry that I may never run out of cat food.

Sot posted:

So how does this plan sound?
:suspense:

actual answer, i guess. Bad idea. Fix the female, get a fixed adult cat as a companion.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 27, 2011

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

2508084 posted:

actual answer, i guess. Bad idea. Fix the female, get a fixed adult cat as a companion.
Expanded answer: that's some complicated poo poo for something where you could just go adopt cats that need a home anyway, and "giving out kittens to friends/family" is a huge uncertainty. There's also caring for the birth process and making sure poo poo doesn't go wrong, and it seems like an unnecessary mess.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

2508084 posted:

KMR is a really great bet in the mean time to make sure the kitten is getting its nutrients. Be careful about sampling around, since its young its tummy may not adjust well to food changes frequently. Normal, adult cats generally get runny poop and stuff which can dehydrate a kitten. Its not a super panic issue, just a little extra caution for a tiny kitty. Local pet shops are great, mine throws samples at me by the bag full "just in case" because I always shop there. I have so many sample bags of evo in my panty that I may never run out of cat food.

Well I got a bunch of samples from the pet store, and the guy was pretty helpful with suggestions I ended up getting some KMR and some canned and dry food. Lots of different stuff. I opened up a few of the sample bags to see if he would like any and he took to one! I'm really excited he seems to like the Before Grain brand Chicken meal. He ate a some of it right away and some more a little later. I'm hoping this is a match for him, I'm gonna leave some more out overnight and well im at work tomorrow and see how much he eats. If he likes it I'll go pick up a bag. I can't tell you guys how relieved I am he is at least eating something, it's been stressing me out all week.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

2508084 posted:

I have so many sample bags of evo in my panty

:xd:

Popete posted:

I opened up a few of the sample bags to see if he would like any and he took to one! I'm really excited he seems to like the Before Grain brand Chicken meal. He ate a some of it right away and some more a little later.

Awesome! He's just too cool for grains, maybe, or wanted to show you your place. Keep us updated on how he's doing :) And consider posting a pic or two hundred...

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

:xd:
I will bribe you with one (1) cat photo to never speak of this again

all cats under 3 years old are made of jelly, fyi

\/ oh my god, I love orange baby kittens :neckbeard:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 27, 2011

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some pictures for the help, gotta get him to fatten up a bit.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So I've got to spend 4 days driving across the country with two cats. I've read about what others have done and have a good idea of how things should go but I have a couple questions:

1) Most people who've done this only drove 8 hours or so at a time. The first day, we're gonna be stuck driving 11-12 hours. Is this too long for the cats to go without the litter box? We're going to offer them a box every few hours but it sounds like most cats don't make use of the litter box until they get out into the hotel.

2) I was thinking of putting puppy pee pads in the bottoms of the carriers in case there are accidents. The odds of this seem pretty high considering the 11-hour first day. Anyone tried this?

Any other advice/protips/stories would be appreciated.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

HondaCivet posted:

2) I was thinking of putting puppy pee pads in the bottoms of the carriers in case there are accidents. The odds of this seem pretty high considering the 11-hour first day. Anyone tried this?

I dont know about the first, but this is a very good idea. Depending on how stressed your animals get, there very likely will be an accident. You could probably use some double sided duct tape and stick it down so the pee pad isn't sliding all over the carrier with the cat.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

HondaCivet posted:

So I've got to spend 4 days driving across the country with two cats. I've read about what others have done and have a good idea of how things should go but I have a couple questions:

1) Most people who've done this only drove 8 hours or so at a time. The first day, we're gonna be stuck driving 11-12 hours. Is this too long for the cats to go without the litter box? We're going to offer them a box every few hours but it sounds like most cats don't make use of the litter box until they get out into the hotel.

Do this along with throw away towels that you can replace daily. (towels are more comfy than pads even when they're a little damp) Don't even bother trying to do any stops for litterbox use, they'll likely be too stressed out to bother with it. Also, definitely bring their usual litterbox with you and bring it into hotels at night. That and lots of delicious wet food makes a big difference.

Accidents are likely, but as long as they aren't in super tiny cat crates they'll be ok.

This is anecdotal, but the first day of driving was probably the hardest on the cats coupled with the whole moving process. Unless your cats are REALLY freaking out, or yowling so much that you can't stand it, don't use benedryl or sedatives on them. By the 2nd and 3rd day of driving that we did, the cats just took it in stride, and only mewed a few times every now and then. I'd probably use something on your cats the first day simply because of the length of time driving though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thanks! Some questions I have with your advice:

I wish I could bring their normal litter box but it's a loving huge Rubbermaid bin with a hole in the side. Do you think they'd be OK with a normal-sized litter box with their normal litter in it?

We're going to feed nothing but wet food, should we bother stopping to offer water?

Our cats are more the freeze-up-and-cower type, should they be OK without drugs? I've heard a lot of horror stories about drugging cats for trips so I'm kind of afraid to try it.

Also should we stop and let them out just to let them stretch their legs every few hours or is that stupid/stressful?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

HondaCivet posted:

I wish I could bring their normal litter box but it's a loving huge Rubbermaid bin with a hole in the side. Do you think they'd be OK with a normal-sized litter box with their normal litter in it?

We're going to feed nothing but wet food, should we bother stopping to offer water?

Our cats are more the freeze-up-and-cower type, should they be OK without drugs? I've heard a lot of horror stories about drugging cats for trips so I'm kind of afraid to try it.

Also should we stop and let them out just to let them stretch their legs every few hours or is that stupid/stressful?
Reuse the litter that's in their existing box, anything that smells familiar is going to be A Good Thing. Even better would be to introduce the new litterbox before you go. Also, if your cats respond well to feliway, pick up a plug in for hotels. One of my sister's cats HATES it, so that was out for them. Hotel stops were always amusing though, they both love exploring and sniffing. :3:

We offered both dry and wet food and water at hotel stops. Wet food is just best as a safety since it's a nice all in one, and cats are more likely to eat it if they're feeling uneasy since it's wet and smelly. My sister's cats are very greedy boogers though, so food was definitely a comfort for them. Whatever you think your cats are most likely to eat, take it, but do offer water at hotel stops. We didn't give them food or water while in the car.

They'll probably be fine, just take some benderyl with you if things go south. Call and ask your vet first though, my sister's vet ok'd it for that particular purpose. Just half a pill was enough. The idea isn't necessarily knock them out, but to simmer them down for awhile.

Oof, we tried doing this just once at a rest stop, one cat responded -ok- to it, the other was too scared to come out of his carrier. :( Adult cats are pretty drat lazy, so 8 hours of not moving a lot isn't exactly a stretch. If they're quiet in their carriers and just seem to be doing alright, I say leave them alone until you get to your hotel stop. Minimal disruption seemed to be the best way to go.

Also, depending on where you're going, heat probably is going to be your worst problem. So plan around that if it's a potential issue. Always get the car cool before loading up the cats. We were really lucky and had very comfortable nice weather during the entire trip. Minus first day out of texas, bleh.

Hoping this is helping and not making it seem more overwhelming. I honestly kind of thought they made the trip a bit more enjoyable. :) It was nice to get to pet kitties at the end of a long day driving.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I'm getting a new puss to keep Grumples company. Woohoo!

However, I have a few questions.

1. The cat in question is indoor but has been living with outdoor cats. So I'm thinking I should use a flea treatment on him as soon as he arrives. Which ones are good? And is there anything else I should give him when he arrives?

2. Is there anything I should do with Grumples to prepare him for the new cat's arrival? I was thinking of going to get him booster shots, I don't know when he last had them. But it might not be necessary if the new cat hasn't actually been outside... I'm confused.

Edit: Here's the puss himself, his name is going to be Hat because of the markings on the top of his head. I've been told he's a Scottish Fold/Ragdoll cross, but I'm not sure that's even possible. He has foldy ears, anyway.

His eye pus is obviously a concern so I'll get him looked at for that.

I love how ugly-cute he is <3

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 27, 2011

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is sneezing a normal cat thing? Could my cat have regular dust allergies? Or is sneezing always a sign of something wrong?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

marshmallard posted:

I love how ugly-cute he is <3

Honestly, HE should be the one named Grumples, he looks grumpy as hell! Ugly-cute is the best cute.

Edit: Sorry for the DP. Meant to edit.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Darth Windu posted:

Honestly, HE should be the one named Grumples, he looks grumpy as hell! Ugly-cute is the best cute.

Edit: Sorry for the DP. Meant to edit.

Haha, he really does. But so does Grumples!

I'm loving the idea of two incredibly grumpy-looking moggies. Grumples and Hat, moody forever :D

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

marshmallard posted:

I'm getting a new puss to keep Grumples company. Woohoo!

However, I have a few questions.

1. The cat in question is indoor but has been living with outdoor cats. So I'm thinking I should use a flea treatment on him as soon as he arrives. Which ones are good? And is there anything else I should give him when he arrives?

2. Is there anything I should do with Grumples to prepare him for the new cat's arrival? I was thinking of going to get him booster shots, I don't know when he last had them. But it might not be necessary if the new cat hasn't actually been outside... I'm confused.

I'd keep him separated from Grumples until you can take them both to the vet and get their shots updated, and flea treatment & deworming for Hat. The vet can get you appropriate flea treatment (usually Advantage or Frontline. Do not buy anything from a pet store unless it's one of these. No flea collars, baths, sprays, powders, etc.-- these can make cats very ill or even very dead.). Until they've been seen by the vet, wash your hands & change any clothes Hat has been in touch with before you interact with Grumples. This is probably a little paranoid, but if Grumples isn't up to date on his shots, I wouldn't take any risks.

For the future, you should keep both cats' shots current in case one of them does get out or in case you bring in infection from outdoors (this is possible). Since Hat is living with cats who go outdoors, yes, he could very well have been exposed to distemper at LEAST, if not other things.

Darth Windu posted:

Is sneezing a normal cat thing? Could my cat have regular dust allergies? Or is sneezing always a sign of something wrong?

Depends. If he's sneezing multiple times a day and has eye goo or snots, take him to the vet as soon as you can since it may be a kitty cold (URI), which can turn serious if they get so congested that they don't eat. If he just sneezes when he comes out of the litterbox or sticks his face in a dusty corner, then that's probably okay. You might want to look at lower dust litters, however.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Kerfuffle posted:

:words:

Thanks! Their litter is on the verge of needing a change so we probably can't use it again but I'll see if I can get their new litter box ahead of time. Their normal litter box is super huge so I'm sure they'll be sad but it's just temporary.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'd keep him separated from Grumples until you can take them both to the vet and get their shots updated, and flea treatment & deworming for Hat. The vet can get you appropriate flea treatment (usually Advantage or Frontline. Do not buy anything from a pet store unless it's one of these. No flea collars, baths, sprays, powders, etc.-- these can make cats very ill or even very dead.). Until they've been seen by the vet, wash your hands & change any clothes Hat has been in touch with before you interact with Grumples. This is probably a little paranoid, but if Grumples isn't up to date on his shots, I wouldn't take any risks.

For the future, you should keep both cats' shots current in case one of them does get out or in case you bring in infection from outdoors (this is possible). Since Hat is living with cats who go outdoors, yes, he could very well have been exposed to distemper at LEAST, if not other things.

This is really helpful advice and I'll be following it to the letter. Thank you!

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

When I moved my two cats years ago we did it over two days and spent 11 hours each day driving. We bought a big wire dog crate so that they'd have some room. We also used those disposable litter boxes that are cardboard filled with pine usually (ours was at least) and we introduced them to it a few days before we left.

For the first hour one howled and the other sat in the littler box. Then, eventually, they both found spots on the towel/pillow bed where they could be comfortable and spent most of the time sleeping. We gave them food and water when we stopped at a rest stop and then at the hotel. We didn't let them out at all, mostly because we didn't think we could get them back into the cage (neither liked cages.)

Overall it was stressful for them but it wasn't uncomfortable. We thought about drugging them but decided against it. Basically I spent the entire drive talking to them when they were awake and they spent the entire drive either napping or looking out the windows. Neither of them ended up using the litter box while in the car, they waited until we were in the hotel, and I'm not sure why. Still, they had access which was all that mattered.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Feeding amount question:

Percy is about 11-11.5 lbs when we weighed him two weeks ago. Currently I'm feeding him a little over 1/3 a cup of Blue Buffalo Wilderness split between two meals a day. Should I increase or decrease this amount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Feeding amount question:

Percy is about 11-11.5 lbs when we weighed him two weeks ago. Currently I'm feeding him a little over 1/3 a cup of Blue Buffalo Wilderness split between two meals a day. Should I increase or decrease this amount?
What's it say on the package for recommended feeding amounts? It still seems a bit much; I have a 5kg and a 3ish kg cat and I put out 1/2 cup twice a day for them(altogether, not each) and that's generally enough.

Edit: I should add that they're about 5 years and 4 years old respectively, the older one barely fat and the younger smaller one a bit leaner. How old's your cat?

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 27, 2011