Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Forgot a Shadows of the Damned tip which came to me after listening to a podcast.

-At a few points you'll be chased by an invincible enemy. You can lightshot to stun them. The game doesn't actually tell you this and a few people got through these parts without doing it (which had to be super frustrating).

Vince Videogames posted:

Okay, I seriously don't get what the hell I did last time, I beat the first level without too much trouble this time and I'm really interested in playing this game more now! Thanks!

Exactly, you don't know what you did last time. Now you do and the rest of the game is gravy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I need to emphasize this. For whatever reason, Deus Ex put one of their most open and nonlinear areas at the very start of the game. Not every level is like this, in fact the only real openness you'll see later on is in the city hubs. Liberty Island is a great level, in fact one of my favorites, but you haven't realized it yet because you aren't yet familiar with the game or its mechanics. It's also objectively unfun in that you have none of the skills, augs, or weapons that make the game cool (except the gep gun if you ask for it. Thing owns.) Deal with the lovely opening, see if you like infiltrating Battery Park or the underground MJ12 base in Hell's Kitchen, those areas are a bit more indicative of future missions.

Also, if you've played either of the original Thief games, the same mindset works very well here (not for the entire game, but for most of it, and for Liberty Island in particular), and the open level with lots of looping paths and possible approaches will feel very natural and familiar. So put on your Thiefing hat and Liberty Island will feel like an old friend, offering you an all-you-can-blackjack buffet of guards.

This is not to say that Thief-style is the only way to play this level, or even the most fun way, but I find that Thief -> Deus Ex feels like a very natural progression.

And if you haven't played Thief, not having played Deus Ex is just the first of many problems you have.

This is not to say

darwinnerd
Jul 25, 2011
I read about 40 pages worth of this thread over a couple days before I gave up. I also searched the forums(and paid for that function simply for this) but I could not find anything on Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

All I could find when I searched the entire forums was an argument about whether it was good or not and that people that didn't like it only said so because of the battle rules. I don't really care what people thought of it. Just looking for tips! Thanks.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, if you've played either of the original Thief games, the same mindset works very well here (not for the entire game, but for most of it, and for Liberty Island in particular), and the open level with lots of looping paths and possible approaches will feel very natural and familiar. So put on your Thiefing hat and Liberty Island will feel like an old friend, offering you an all-you-can-blackjack buffet of guards.

This is not to say that Thief-style is the only way to play this level, or even the most fun way, but I find that Thief -> Deus Ex feels like a very natural progression.

And if you haven't played Thief, not having played Deus Ex is just the first of many problems you have.

This is not to say

I totally went the stealth route for this first mission but yeah, Thief games are totally on the long list of "poo poo I really ought to play sooner or later". Honestly, I've been really wanting a stealth game for a while so this game is really scratching that itch (Alpha Protocol is helping with that as well.)

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

darwinnerd posted:

I read about 40 pages worth of this thread over a couple days before I gave up. I also searched the forums(and paid for that function simply for this) but I could not find anything on Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

All I could find when I searched the entire forums was an argument about whether it was good or not and that people that didn't like it only said so because of the battle rules. I don't really care what people thought of it. Just looking for tips! Thanks.

I'm actually kind of surprised, the Final Fantasy thread typically breaks down the games and sperges on things that we can abuse in between taking a poo poo on the series or talking about our feelings. Honestly I hated FFTA mostly because of how it was nothing like its predecessor.

Rule of thumb is to check out the website (http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) then ask if you don't see it. Reading every page is a bit overkill in a thread like this. The A2 wiki mentions a few broken things about the first one that was changed in the sequel.

The only thing I remember from FFTA was learning the thief skills early so that you can steal some of the better gear way before they would normally become available.

darwinnerd
Jul 25, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised, the Final Fantasy thread typically breaks down the games and sperges on things that we can abuse in between taking a poo poo on the series or talking about our feelings. Honestly I hated FFTA mostly because of how it was nothing like its predecessor.

Rule of thumb is to check out the website (http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) then ask if you don't see it. Reading every page is a bit overkill in a thread like this. The A2 wiki mentions a few broken things about the first one that was changed in the sequel.

The only thing I remember from FFTA was learning the thief skills early so that you can steal some of the better gear way before they would normally become available.

I checked there(after you mentioned it, not before). I only saw FFTA2 and FFT(playstation game). They're close, I guess, but not really specific to FFTA.

Good idea on the thief thing. I'm about to spend 2 weeks in transit out of Afghanistan, so I am not too picky on what game I am playing. I just want a good time sink and FFTA seems good enough. I have a handheld emulator with every GBA emulator(most work) called a GP2X Caanoo.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Mayor McCheese posted:

HOW TO COMPLETELY BREAK FINAL FANTASY TACTICS ADVANCE:

1: Advance to the point in the plot where you get full control of your guild. (two story missions in IIRC).
2: Fire all but five of your members.
3: Note that this is below the party size of six, and that the game makes up for it by giving you a dispatch mission which automatically succeeds and is guaranteed to give you a recruit (also, some negotiation guild points).
4: Notice that as long as you have less than six people, by refusing the recruit or taking them and firing one of your previous guys, the game will infinitely spawn two of these missions every month.
5: Realize that this is effectively a source of infinite negotiation points, and that the reward for reaching level 30 Negotiation is the Cinquedea, the dagger that teaches Steal: Ability.
6: GRIND.
7: Teach Steal: Ability to your entire clan, enjoy never having to worry about AP again.

Bonus Steps!
8: Note some of the very rare things enemies in non-story missions sometimes have - "Wanted: Dragihlev Godeye" has both Steal: Weapon and Steal: Armor, and "Lutia Mop-up" has an enemy with an Angel Ring (gives Auto-Revive).
9: Note that if you run from a side mission, it will eventually respawn so you can try it again.
10: Repeatedly loot and then flee these missions, have fun giving your entire team even more skills and items they really shouldn't have.

Anyway, if you're not interested in breaking the game that badly, here are the three most important tips to know:

- The primary effect of land placement is that a land that's fully surrounded spawns a treasure based on what's around it. Some of these are very rare and otherwise unique, so it may be a good idea to check GameFAQs and follow a building plan.

- Never, ever, ever discard a mission item unless you have physically seen that the mission that gave it is repeatable. Yes, you will get three separate Black Threads from three separate missions. That is because it's needed for three separate missions, and as none of the missions that give it are repeatable you will be hosed if you discard one.

- Stats are determined by the class you level up as. Speed is the single most important stat. Other stats are important as well, but frankly all the defense in the world won't help the Paladin when he's fighting an Assassin who gains 2-3 speed a level while he only gets 0-1 speed a level, meaning maybe he's been unlucky and he's literally gained no speed ever and the Assassin is going four times as fast as him and whoops a sleep spell finally landed on him and Assassins can instant kill sleeping people so that's it for him. I may have learned that the hard way my first time through. Anyway, just try not to let your people stay in slow jobs too much, and if/when you do the recruiting loop try and keep a hold of anyone with a good base speed (people who join as Thieves/Ninjas/Assassins, basically).

(if you are interested in breaking the game that badly, this FAQ is basically a guide to absolute 100%ing the game through terrible, terrible cheese. Has spoilers by necessity, so maybe not the best thing to do your first time through.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Related to Thief, how playable is the series from the perspective of someone who hasn't touched the series and thus immune to nostalgia / rose colored glasses stuff?

The Vampirate
Apr 12, 2011

by T. Finninho

MisterBibs posted:

Related to Thief, how playable is the series from the perspective of someone who hasn't touched the series and thus immune to nostalgia / rose colored glasses stuff?

It is rough, but one of those game series that once you find your groove is a challenge that never gets overbearing.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

MisterBibs posted:

Bobbin Threadbare has an ongoing LP of the series. Give it a look, see if you like it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

oldskool posted:

use Basch, Fran & Balthier as the game's original intent.

Balthier owns bones and his presence in it was one of the only reasons I bought the PSP remake of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Also, thank you guys for the tips on Infinite Space. The game has been sitting in my closet for far too long; it's time to bust it out again!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MisterBibs posted:

Thief 2 is a lot more accessible than Thief 1. I love Thief 2 and have beat it multiple times, downloaded fan missions/campaigns for it, the works. I beat Thief 1 once when I was a kid and when I try to replay it I always get about 5 missions in before I quit, it hasn't aged well in my opinion.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thief 1 remains my favorite in both storyline and levels, but it also has some of the worst individual levels in the series. Thief 2 is more consistent in quality (except for Precious Cargo/Kidnap, gently caress those two levels), but IMO never gets quite as good as the best parts of Thief 1. It does however have the advantage of not front-loading with the worst levels, too - Lord Bafford's Manor is a great opening to Thief 1, but then immediately following it with Break from Cragscleft Prison and Down in the Bonehoard is a bit of a kick in the balls.

In terms of just general "how well has the implementation aged" stuff, you may want to rebind some controls, but you won't have to get used to a nonstandard interface like UUW or System Shock, or fiddle around with emulators or anything. It doesn't look all that great, but honestly it didn't look all that great when it was released, either.

It's hard for me to be objective about this, though, because I love stealth games, I love Thief, I love Looking Glass Studios, and while I didn't play these at release I played them within a few years of it, soooo...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nick Buntline posted:

breaking FFTA

This is accurate, and if you want to see it in motion check out Orange Fluffy Sheep's FFTA LP where he brutally murders the game, Slapchops it and mails each piece to a different country.

MackSterling
Mar 17, 2009
I haven't seen this one on the wiki, so what should I keep in mind while playing Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley?

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
Any tips for Legend of Dragoon?

Just started playing it again for the first time in over a decade and don't want to gimp myself.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Anybody have any advice for Dirt 3?

I'm especially bad at the gymkhana and drift events.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Anything for Saint's Row 1? The wiki has SR2, but not the first one.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

darwinnerd posted:

The biggest thing you should know is that the game is incredibly, stupendously easy if you do any non-storyline battles. Enemies in storyline battles don't scale to your level, while random battles do. It's inevitable that if you have any interest in building up your clan, which is most of the fun of the game in first place, you are going to end up wildly overleveled and even boss battles will prove trivial.

Other than that, some job tips. Its been a while since I played FFTA, but I did put over 300 hours into it, so...

- Humans: In general, Fighters are more useful than Paladins, though your mileage may vary. The Paladin's primary attribute is his Defense, but since you will probably be overleveled and there are few penalties for dying, the extra attack that the Fighter offers will be more useful in general. Fighters also have a lot of useful long range skills. Ninjas are probably the best human job, and Double Sword is the best ability. The reason for this has nothing to do with a boosted attack; rather, its because if you equip two of the same weapon, you learn whatever ability it has twice as fast. Don't bother with human spellcasters other than the Blue Mage. Hunters are OK, but you'll find yourself fighting less monsters on the whole, which is what they excel at. They do get the Human's Ultima spell though.

Having a Ninja with a full set of Thief skills is pretty much required.

- Moogles: Moogles are sort of gimmicky, but they have some interesting jobs. The most useful is the Gunner, because he has the longest range attack of any job (apart from the couple of jobs that can target every enemy on the screen) and he has some really game breaking abilities like Charm Shot and Stop Shot. Mog Knights are weaker Fighters with the Moogle's Ultima spell. Animist is a pretty terrible job for a character, but the Animist's ability is pretty useful as a secondary ability, since it can put people to sleep and heal itself. Gadgeteers are risky, but their only really worthwhile ability is that they can Haste one entire side of the battlefield. Jugglers are also kinda bad as a job but worthwhile as a secondary ability, because they have a lot of fairly useful status abilities (Ring, which Stops an enemy, and Smile, which Quickens an ally).

- Bangaa: Honestly the Bangaa aren't that great of a race. They're supposed to be the strongest direct attackers, but because they can't learn Double Swords they will never deal as much melee damage as a Human can. Dragoons are probably the most useful because they have a very large range of attack, but Jump has been nerfed massively from FFT, and now is just a regular attack made at long range. Gladiators would be a goodjob except a lot of their skills are based on the Magic stat, which the Bangaa are lousy at; same applies to the Bishop. Oddly enough, maybe the most useful Bangaa job is the White Monk, which you have at start. Their ability to Exorcise ghosts and zombies can save you some real headaches. Defenders are the Bangaa version of the Paladin but with even fewer combat options. If you really want a character to act as a body guard for another, the Defender is best, but that's really all it is good at.

- Viera: Viera are pretty good! The three most outstanding Viera jobs are Summoner, Sniper and Assassin, and you can pretty easily roll the Sniper and the Assassin together. Snipers can turn invisible and have Beso Toxico, which deals regular attack damage and poisons, so there's no reason ever to use a basic attack again. Assassins are arguably the second strongest job in the game (next to Ninja) as they can cause instant death, stop people and petrify them. On top of that, they have their race's Ultima spell. Good grief. Their only downside is their convoluted chain of prerequisites. Summoners are great spellcasters, but are hamstrung by the fact that the Viera don't get that much MP. You can exacerbate this while making them truly broken by giving them Red Magic as a secondary ability, and using Double Cast. Elementalists aren't bad either, but they sacrifice damage output for tagging on status effects.

- Nu Mou: The Nu Mou are to magic what the Humans are to physical attacks: shamefully imbalanced in contrast to the rest of the racial cast. The only pure mage jobs they can't have are Blue Mage, Red Mage, Summoner and Elementalist. Basically if you have a choice between picking a Nu Mou or any other race for a mage, there is no reason not to pick the Nu Mou. On top of that, Nu Mou get two of the best jobs in the game: the Alchemist and the Sage. The Sage is particularly broken. On top of getting a wide array of powerful spells, they also get their race's Ultima and a punishing physical attack stat. It's ridiculous. On the other hand, they Nu Mou also have the two most useless jobs, the Beastmaster and the Morpher. Avoid them.

Other tips:

-As I mentioned, each race has a job that learns the Ultima spell. Now, Ultima works differently from other magic. Its power is based on your Weapon attack, and, here is the kicker, so is its range. This creates one of my favorite ability mixes in the game: Gunner with Mog Knight secondary. 420 cast Ultimate from 20 squares away all day long.

-I gave tips on which jobs to follow but you can really pick whatever ones you want because the game is so easy that you can do whatever and still come out on top.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
The Humble Bundle 3 was unveiled recently- so I'll be the first to ask.

Important info for Crayon Physics Deluxe, Hammerfight, VVVVVV, Cogs, and And Yet It Moves? I've already played VVVVVV so I don't really need tips but I expect someone will very soon as the bundle's already grossed $450k.

Though I'm sure info on all of the games will be helpful, I'd like some info on Hammerfight. Mostly- What the gently caress is going on? I skipped some of the dialogue but it really didn't look like it would explain much. This is a weird as hell game.

What is the point of Glory, what is the point of Fame, how do I change the weapons on my hammerfightmobilething, what does clicking do (Why is it telling me to bind things to hotkeys), and what on earth is going on with this story?
Worth mentioning though that the interface is really, really slick, and the gameplay is fun, it's just coated in a layer of confusion and bizarre story, as well as what seems to be a poor choice of opening levels. Four arena fights and an escort mission? Jesus.

Lavender Philtrum fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 27, 2011

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Damonic posted:

Any tips for Legend of Dragoon?

Just started playing it again for the first time in over a decade and don't want to gimp myself.

You have a small item limit, and you get given lots of items. Don't be afraid to use your items, especially attack items, since they're your only way of inflicting element damage.

Defending is actually useful as it recovers 1/10th of max HP in addition to your defence boost. It's more useful than it sounds.

Build up all your additions. You'll need to to unlock your last one(which is the strongest).

Related to this, early on there's an enemy who puts up a shield blocking all phys damage. I smell 'training target'.

There are some seriously expensive items in a town mid-game. It's not especially wise to grind for the armours, but consider the auto-addition items.

You'll want an FAQ for the Stardust pieces.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Hammerfight owns, and I'm really glad to see it get some time in the spotlight in this bundle.

-The strongest weapons in the game when you're fighting a shielded enemy (and pretty much anything else) is a good flail. The chains mean they can build up a lot more velocity when you whip them around compared to a mace or sword. Stun enemies against a wall, then pound on their shields to break them off for you to pick up.

-Guns are pretty worthless, but for the most part, they're pretty lightweight and good against beasts, so you could try joining them to a weapon if you're so inclined.

-There's no New Game+, so all the sweet weapons you collect during story mode are only good for arena, but the modes you unlock in the different story paths are accessible for any new saves you start, so you can put your brand new guy in the arena to get some decent weapons.

-Hotkey at least one shield, so when you hit that button, all your shields will attempt to cover as much of your vehicle as possible. Five is pretty much complete coverage.

-For some blades, you'll want to right click to make sure the edged part is hitting the opponent.

-You unlock an armory eventually that'll let you change your ship's loadout. You can access this from the main menu as well, so you can change equipment between missions that normally wouldn't allow it.

-Glory and fame are pretty much for show. The more titles you get, the bigger and more ornate banners you'll carry.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Orfeo posted:

Hammerfight owns, and I'm really glad to see it get some time in the spotlight in this bundle.

-The strongest weapons in the game when you're fighting a shielded enemy (and pretty much anything else) is a good flail. The chains mean they can build up a lot more velocity when you whip them around compared to a mace or sword. Stun enemies against a wall, then pound on their shields to break them off for you to pick up.

-Guns are pretty worthless, but for the most part, they're pretty lightweight and good against beasts, so you could try joining them to a weapon if you're so inclined.

-There's no New Game+, so all the sweet weapons you collect during story mode are only good for arena, but the modes you unlock in the different story paths are accessible for any new saves you start, so you can put your brand new guy in the arena to get some decent weapons.

-Hotkey at least one shield, so when you hit that button, all your shields will attempt to cover as much of your vehicle as possible. Five is pretty much complete coverage.

-For some blades, you'll want to right click to make sure the edged part is hitting the opponent.

-You unlock an armory eventually that'll let you change your ship's loadout. You can access this from the main menu as well, so you can change equipment between missions that normally wouldn't allow it.

-Glory and fame are pretty much for show. The more titles you get, the bigger and more ornate banners you'll carry.

I just started to get a bit into it and this game loving owns. It's loads of fun, the combat feels really, really satisfying, the UI is magnificent, and the weapons are all fun to use so far. Glad I stuck with it after the lovely first few missions.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not that anyone's asked, but in Silent Hill: Homecoming, which is a pretty underrated game, there's a part where you're in a cave with another character and you come to a gate that requires two people to open by simultaneously turning two cranks. When it opens, she'll go through it and wait for you. Go through the gate immediately and do not let it close to go back and explore or anything. If the gate shuts, you become permanently separated from your companion and effectively lock the game since there's no other way out.

I had to start completely over once I did that since my last save was after the gate had already shut.

edit:

In the Left For Dead games, does the sound of your gunfire attract the swarms of Zombies or are they pre-scripted events? Is there any advantage to trying to be stealthy at all? I like trying to snipe them but after I clip 2 or 3 of them they all bum rush me.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 27, 2011

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Brocktoon posted:

Anything for Saint's Row 1? The wiki has SR2, but not the first one.

-Insurance Fraud is probably the easiest and fastest way to get respect. It also gives you the benefit of faster regenerating health once you do all of them.

-Grab a police car when doing insurance fraud and run head on into another while still in it. If you do it right, you should eject yourself from the window and get a crazy amount of points, usually completing the activity after 2 or 3 collisions.

-Escort is typically not worth it to do because some of the requests they ask for are a pain in the rear end and the news vans will constantly be on your rear end.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
Orfeo, what's the deal with killing/letting enemies live in Hammerfight? Are there pros/cons for doing either? I've just been letting them live and not really caring if I accidentally kill one, but i thought i saw a bunch of :( faces when I did it, so I'm curious if it has some sort of penalty.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

BiggerBoat posted:

In the Left For Dead games, does the sound of your gunfire attract the swarms of Zombies or are they pre-scripted events? Is there any advantage to trying to be stealthy at all? I like trying to snipe them but after I clip 2 or 3 of them they all bum rush me.

They react more to light and scent than anything. If you put out the lights and keep your distance, they can be avoided.

The Director pulls hordes out of his sleeve based on your general performance (and personal whim on Expert). Gunfire not counting as a "loud noise" that they're attracted to has been lampooned since the first game's release.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm just getting into Hitman: Blood Money and Splinter Cell: Conviction. I've played other Hitman and Splinter Cell games before. Anything new I should be concerned about? The one thing that always bugged me in the Hitman games was that the disguises seemed to work inconsistently, even when I had no weapons visible and was not running, etc. Has that been fixed?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm just getting into Hitman: Blood Money and Splinter Cell: Conviction. I've played other Hitman and Splinter Cell games before. Anything new I should be concerned about? The one thing that always bugged me in the Hitman games was that the disguises seemed to work inconsistently, even when I had no weapons visible and was not running, etc. Has that been fixed?

Congratulations, you just got the best Hitman game! And yes, disguises work pretty consistently here. It never matters whether you walk or run, for example, or if you are carrying a weapon that guards of that type carry around. Best of all, if you knock someone out, if nobody finds them, they never wake up! So your disguise stays viable unless you get caught doing something suspicious, like tampering with a machine or throwing a knife at a man's sternum.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the game is forgiving enough that you can enter restricted areas, get shot at, and still get Silent Assassin, if you don't try to fight back as you leave the area.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BiggerBoat posted:

Conviction is nothing at all like the previous SC games. It's a cover shooter, though it's a drat fun one with some stealth elements. Make use of Mark/Execute a lot and try to get weapons that let you tag as many people as possible.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BiggerBoat posted:

Hitman: Blood Money

If you're like me and enjoy playing games on higher difficulties, it's not worth it for your first playthrough. This is because higher difficulties limit your saves and unless you enjoy replaying a level from the beginning over and over you should probably work your way up.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

BiggerBoat posted:

Hitman: Blood Money

I love Hitman a bunch, but it can be frustrating at times.

If you're getting annoyed at a level, don't be afraid to run in and shoot the dude just to get it over with. Better to move onto a fresh level rather than getting frustrated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CCKeane posted:

I love Hitman a bunch, but it can be frustrating at times.

If you're getting annoyed at a level, don't be afraid to run in and shoot the dude just to get it over with. Better to move onto a fresh level rather than getting frustrated.

When I gently caress up it's usually because I did something wrongs with the controls, like draw a weapon or something when I didn't mean to. I'm tackling the tutorial level and like it but can already tell the controls will have me pausing and re-checking to see how to do whatever I'm trying to do...

Like aim a coin I'm throwing. Any way to do that or see it's trajectory before I toss it? I must have thrown $500 in spare change all over the place before I distracted the guards.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

When I gently caress up it's usually because I did something wrongs with the controls, like draw a weapon or something when I didn't mean to. I'm tackling the tutorial level and like it but can already tell the controls will have me pausing and re-checking to see how to do whatever I'm trying to do...

Like aim a coin I'm throwing. Any way to do that or see it's trajectory before I toss it? I must have thrown $500 in spare change all over the place before I distracted the guards.

Well holding the button before you throw brings up the reticule, is that what you mean?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The tutorial mission was the only time I ever threw a coin.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I don't throw coins often either, but they are definitely useful.

I mean more that sometimes a level is just not your thing, and if that happens I usually blast my way through and go back later for a SA rating.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

BiggerBoat posted:

Conviction is nothing at all like the previous SC games. It's a cover shooter, though it's a drat fun one with some stealth elements. Make use of Mark/Execute a lot and try to get weapons that let you tag as many people as possible.
The PECs (challenges) can be done on any difficulty, so there's no gameplay reason not to do them on Rookie, which minimizes the guards' awareness and detection ability.

For the Marksman challenges, just do them in one of the early levels without helmeted guards (who don't die in one headshot); melee takedowns using the pistol don't count but Executes do. You can get Pistol Marksman as early as the second level before reaching the first weapon stash (using one counts as a reload) so long as the pistol kills were all headshots. Alternately, when you're in Robertson's office in White Box Laboratories you can camp behind the desks or cling from the window sill or pipe (pistol only). Finally, the easiest/cheesiest method for either is to use the pistol or assault rifle (preferably the assault rifle) when the screen goes orange near the end of the 3rd Echelon level, since you get unlimited Execute tokens and guards are automatically marked.

Advanced Stealth: There's several levels on which this may be achieved, although my personal most common choice is the fifth level, Washington Monument -- rather difficult if you're also attempting Advanced Close Combat, but here's one way (just ignore the ending when he executes the last four guards), and here's another (who just sneaks past them). It's a lot easier if you're only going for Advanced Stealth, as you can get Advanced Close Combat on the seventh level, Lincoln Memorial. Supposedly you can actually get both by getting into and activating the elevator in the beginning of 3rd Echelon, which if true would allow you to do Pistol or Assault Rifle Marksman later.

Finally, the beginning of the penultimate level (specifically, the back of the theater where you have guards in the room behind it) is a great place to grind gadget and vanishing-based challenges.

Unlike earlier Splinter Cell games you won't be able to move the bodies so when you know that you'll need a body out of the way, try to take them as a human shield (hold the Melee key) so that you can drag them into concealment before killing or knocking them out.

Weapons-wise, you'll want to go with the Five-seveN and either the MP7A1 (from the Exclusives menu) or the M468, drat near everything else is for nostalgia or for openly gunfighting.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/chortlesthegoon if you need a co-op partner (two PECs are co-op only).

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Orfeo, what's the deal with killing/letting enemies live in Hammerfight? Are there pros/cons for doing either? I've just been letting them live and not really caring if I accidentally kill one, but i thought i saw a bunch of :( faces when I did it, so I'm curious if it has some sort of penalty.

It's a matter of titles. Killing a bunch of dudes will get you titles like "the Slayer," while sparing people will get you to be called "the Merciful." As far as I know, there aren't any major ramifications for if you spare dudes or not. But I think you get more glory for sparing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Lavender Philtrum posted:

And Yet It Moves?

What you see in the first few levels is what you get. There's no huge new gameplay introduction or anything later on. So if you get bored after a few levels, you'll be bored all the way through.