Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Apparently, Unity 3D + Mercurial/Git just "works"... SO LONG AS YOU HAVE UNITY 3D PRO. A local independent studio does Unity 3D + Mercurial, and has it working even with a veritable fleet (10+) of art interns. He (the CEO) has Unity Pro, and is the only one that changes scene settings, while everyone else is using Unity Basic (which can convert Unity Pro workspaces fine, but only for reading). They update, use Unity Basic to test out their changes, and submit the code / resources back to the lead guy for integration into the build.

If you're using Unity 3D Basic only though, hahahahahahaha.

(the difference is that Unity Pro stores all of its configuration data files in plain-text format. They merge, and basically behave nicely. The binaries that Unity 3D Basic uses, on the other hand, are nightmarish, can not merge, and can't even be copied around safely likely due to non-relative pathing contained within)

Wow, very nice. We will have Unity Pro for everybody because it does something necessary for pretty much every discipline. Do you have any documents or writeups on this? The Perforce situation is the biggest hindrance for us with Unity, and I've been pushing for us to try out other source controls. If I have resources that describe how well GIT works with Unity, it will help us solve what should be our only hurdle with Unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chainclaw posted:

Wow, very nice. We will have Unity Pro for everybody because it does something necessary for pretty much every discipline. Do you have any documents or writeups on this? The Perforce situation is the biggest hindrance for us with Unity, and I've been pushing for us to try out other source controls. If I have resources that describe how well GIT works with Unity, it will help us solve what should be our only hurdle with Unity.
I don't know of any writeups, but by just works I mean "just works."

Mercurial has no concept of checking in our checking out, dirtied files just end up on your changelist which you submit at your leisure. You then occasionally push your branch up to the central repository, at which point you manage any collisions. Similarly, you occasionally pull down from your repository to get other user's changes, and manage the collisions there as well. You probably want to pull and resolve before you push, though. So you work in Unity, stuff dirties, you commit, etc, no nasty "oh I forgot to check out this one file that Unity also dirties so it exploded when it hit the write-only" situations.

You'd learn more quickly by just setting up Mercurial on your system and testing it than you would trying to find a writeup, if a quick Google doesn't avail you.

EDIT: VV After using Unity for a year on a large casual game, I would very much still not recommend Unity for any kind of large team, or on any kind of core-focused large budget game. But for small team indie stuff with average graphics requirements, yeah, go for it.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 24, 2011

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Shalinor posted:

I don't know of any writeups, but by just works I mean "just works."

Mercurial has no concept of checking in our checking out, dirtied files just end up on your changelist which you submit at your leisure. You then occasionally push your branch up to the central repository, at which point you manage any collisions. Similarly, you occasionally pull down from your repository to get other user's changes, and manage the collisions there as well. You probably want to pull and resolve before you push, though So you work in Unity, stuff dirties, you commit, etc, no nasty "oh I forgot to check out this one file that Unity also dirties so it exploded when it hit the write-only" situations.

You'd learn more quickly by just setting up Mercurial on your system and testing it than you would trying to find a writeup, if a quick Google doesn't avail you.

Yeah, I've been convinced for a while that GIT would work great with Unity, the problem is convincing the powers that be that it might work better to switch source control than to wait until Unity gets the theoretical Perforce upgrades.

I have been very impressed with Unity, and so far every concern I've had with seems to be resolved pretty quickly by just changing your workflow and expectations.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

Shalinor posted:

The binaries that Unity 3D Basic uses, on the other hand, are nightmarish, can not merge, and can't even be copied around safely likely due to non-relative pathing contained within

I can confirm this as absolutely true. Had to fight through this a bunch of times before figuring out what was wrong. In some lucky instances, if you zip up the entire project and copy it that way, it won't break anything. But sometimes it will. And it's usually something benign like the stupid moon prefab losing its texture reference, but even something like that is unsettling. It reminds me of the commercials that told you about the thousands of roaches living in your walls if you saw one in your kitchen. Who the hell knows what other settings may have been jiggled just enough to mess something up two weeks from now, but not badly enough to notice right away?

Glad to hear Unity plays nice with Git. I like Git already and using SVN with Unity was like sucking a watermelon through a garden hose.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

GeauxSteve posted:

Whats worse is when a Dev sends back a bug, Hey I think this might be fixed but I'm not sure, can you check this for me?

I was supposed to hear back yesterday for the embedded Senior QA spot at Irrational but they never emailed me back about my interviews. I'm so anxious to get out of outsourced QA and into embedded.

A few of the networking programmers used to do that to me, so I'd walk over and find out what they wanted and talk to them about it and then send the bug back with "You have your answer already."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of the mission arcs I've written for City of Heroes was featured in the latest issue of PC Gamer. What's a good way to represent this on my resume when I'm applying for industry positions? I still have no professional design experience but the fact that my amateur work has gotten attention from the gaming press seems like something I should play up.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One of the mission arcs I've written for City of Heroes was featured in the latest issue of PC Gamer. What's a good way to represent this on my resume when I'm applying for industry positions? I still have no professional design experience but the fact that my amateur work has gotten attention from the gaming press seems like something I should play up.

Have a 'projects' section that looks like this:

Projects

City of Heroes player module Mo/Year-Mo/Year
- Created X Missions in the CoH custom module thinger
- Featured in July issue of PC Gamer "This module is like a blowjob from Lady Gaga - exciting but weird"

Game I made in Flash Mo/Year-Mo/Year
- Available at https://www.kongregate.com/URL
- Platformer where you play as Regret as a Character

something like that. Nobody cares that you flipped burgers at McDonalds for 4 years in high school, anything more than 3 years back is probably not worthwhile, use that space for your projects.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Shalinor posted:

If you snag TortoiseHg (what, I like GUIs) in addition to installing itself and Hg in one shot, it also comes with "Mercurial, the Definitve Guide", a nice ebook that covers basically everything one could want to know about using the thing (and a fair bit about version-control workflow in general). Helped me enormously when i started getting serious about versioning in my projects.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Just noticed the thread title changed. Woot.

Oak Read Erryday
Mar 9, 2009

Applied as a Senior Game Master recently. I know this isn't necessarily geared towards game companies, but what should I think after not hearing back for a week and 1 day? I sent an e-mail thanking them for the interview right after I got home, and then sent one on Thursday asking what the next step might be. I haven't heard back, though.

The interview seemed to go really well and they even mentioned that this position is almost taking a step backwards for me (I reassured them that gaming is a huge passion of mine and that I didn't see it that way, etc, etc).

I've only ever communicated with them via e-mail, and of course in person for the interview. Should I call them or send another e-mail or just wait it out?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

My wife got a freelance games designer/writer gig, yay! So proud of her. :)
(She's never worked in games before.)

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Oak Read Erryday posted:

Applied as a Senior Game Master recently. I know this isn't necessarily geared towards game companies, but what should I think after not hearing back for a week and 1 day? I sent an e-mail thanking them for the interview right after I got home, and then sent one on Thursday asking what the next step might be. I haven't heard back, though.

The interview seemed to go really well and they even mentioned that this position is almost taking a step backwards for me (I reassured them that gaming is a huge passion of mine and that I didn't see it that way, etc, etc).

I've only ever communicated with them via e-mail, and of course in person for the interview. Should I call them or send another e-mail or just wait it out?

Is this Blizzard? If so, they can take a long time to respond, even after an interview.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Please tell me this is not one of you guys.

Some kid on the IGDA writers list posted:

My name is <redacted, but very very white name>, and I'm a sophomore in high school. Since I was a kid, (...well a smaller kid) I always wanted to write stories for video games, for RPGs specifically. For the past two years, I've been just doing some research, y'know reading articles on the web, especially IGDA's "Breaking In" section, though it's a little outdated. My ultimate goal is to create my own game studio, with an RPG specialty. I'm sorta hoping to start a new school JRPG sort of vibe in video games. I have some "plans" to work my way there, like trying to land a job as an intern or QA Tester, but from what I see, those high in demand. Anyway, I'm here to basically keep up with the interesting topics and with you guys' permission, ask a few questions every now and then (I'd hate to be a bother with those, though). I hope I can learn a thing or two from you guys!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Oh man, that kid is me from like a decade ago. Shine on in the hearts of men, you crazy diamond, you'll get there someday. :unsmith:

Anyway I should be in bed but oh my god I need to share this: Langdell's issued a rebuttal to RockPaperShotgun. Find time to read it. It is epic.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I've met Tim before, and had some friendly chats with him, before the debacle really kicked off. He's not a stupid guy, so I don't understand why when it comes to law it's like his brain just turns off and he starts spewing out a river of nonsensical ideas. If I were representing someone with an ongoing appeal and that frequent litigation (ignoring the trademark trolling aspects of what he has done), I would be lecturing the poo poo out of my client to keep their mouth shut -- at the rate that he does it, I would simply fire them. It's not worth it.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
DICE are looking for a CM if anyone is interested. I know I am and yet alas, I am stuck here. :smith:

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Diplomaticus posted:

Please tell me this is not one of you guys.
Not me, bro. My email to Riot was more like "I can't decide which job to apply to, so here's my resume and the two jobs I could probably do with my eyes closed. Feel free to consider me for those other positions, though."

Overconfident? Maybe... :smug:

Note the above is a gross paraphrasing of my actual email. I'm not that stupid.

M4rk fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 26, 2011

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

How is that kid on the IGDA mailing list? How as a game developer am I going to find that kind of unfiltered noise useful?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Hey, I'm working on refreshing my portfolio, but I took care of my resume - you think my skills might have any use in the games industry at all?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B28upN8h66BHZmU4ODQ2MTktZjdjZi00ZTQzLWE0M2ItZjQ5MThkMTdkZmM5&hl=en_US

I've been a graphic designer/loving image wizard/etc. in a professional manner for a couple of years now, and I'm looking to get in an industry slightly more exciting, and since my lease is up come mid September, I need a new adventure.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

M4rk posted:

Not me, bro. My email to Riot was more like "I can't decide which job to apply to, so here's my resume and the two jobs I could probably do with my eyes closed. Feel free to consider me for those other positions, though."

Overconfident? Maybe... :smug:

Note the above is a gross paraphrasing of my actual email. I'm not that stupid.

I would hire you on the spot with a cover letter like that.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
:siren: Attn: Riot Games goons. I've got a friend applying to your company that I want to put in a recommendation for. If that might be relevant to you, please let me know (PM, or email swatjester at gmail dot com).

FreakyZoid posted:

How is that kid on the IGDA mailing list? How as a game developer am I going to find that kind of unfiltered noise useful?

Open lists, any IGDA member can join the SIGs. The writer's SIG list is very open and welcoming to newbs -- perhaps too welcoming. They won't tell people what they need to hear, which is sad because that's a particular field that is already difficult to find anything remotely resembling steady work, and the freelance work is becoming harder and harder to come by.

On the other hand, some of my most useful relationships in the industry have come from the writers list, and I respect the "regulars" on that list greatly.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Also Shalinor: this may be relevant to your iOS discussion from earlier.

I'm curious about what methodology they used to get a 3.5M user sample size (not implying anything faulty, I just haven't looked too deeply into whether they had a contract with Apple to get that kind of data -- seems like there could be privacy concerns involved. I don't want even anonymized reports of my spending going to anyone except Apple, and I certainly don't want that data being shared).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

FreakyZoid posted:

I don't think, as a game developer, you're going to find much useful coming out of the IGDA period :v:

EDIT: (I realize this is somewhat unfair ;) I would very much like to see them become a useful trade body of some sort)

Diplomaticus posted:

Also Shalinor: this may be relevant to your iOS discussion from earlier.
It's a newer study, but their findings basically mirror previous analysis of freemium Facebook et al games. You usually assume 70% non-paying, 20% paying, and 10% "whales" that pay substantially more than the rest. Which, I want to say, mirrors what you see in gambling / "gaming" industries as well. (not so much the non-paying, but the percentage of your payers who pay a lot vs a little)

Though those percentages only apply with a sufficiently large player base, of course.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 26, 2011

Oak Read Erryday
Mar 9, 2009

Ramen Ocelot posted:

Is this Blizzard? If so, they can take a long time to respond, even after an interview.

Nah, not those guys. This company is doing a large amount of hiring in the next few months so I'm just going to assume they're doing group hirings/orientations/trainings and not worry about it. Thanks, though.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Same kid from the IGDA list posted:

Oh, I'm actually using RPG Maker VX for a project I'm working on. It's a really great software, easy to use and I especially love it because it allows you to customize nearly everything. Not to mention the huge amount of resources for it on many community websites. Though, Neverwinter Nights sounds great, I've been dying to try something like that in 3D. Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes! I'll be sure to share the game with you all when I finish, which will probably be a while :)

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Jefferoo posted:

Hey, I'm working on refreshing my portfolio, but I took care of my resume - you think my skills might have any use in the games industry at all?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B28upN8h66BHZmU4ODQ2MTktZjdjZi00ZTQzLWE0M2ItZjQ5MThkMTdkZmM5&hl=en_US

I've been a graphic designer/loving image wizard/etc. in a professional manner for a couple of years now, and I'm looking to get in an industry slightly more exciting, and since my lease is up come mid September, I need a new adventure.

Sounds like you could shoot for a HUD/UI artist position (just brush up on Flash), based on resume/experience. The portfolio would tell a more complete story though.

For comparison, my resume looked something like this before I landed my first game UI job: old rear end resume

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Diplomaticus posted:

:siren: Attn: Riot Games goons. I've got a friend applying to your company that I want to put in a recommendation for. If that might be relevant to you, please let me know (PM, or email swatjester at gmail dot com). :siren:
You missed the siren at the end required to grab a goon's attention, I added one for 'ya. :l

Hope your friend didn't want any of the fifteen positions I applied for.

:siren: (Just joking.) :siren:

MustardFacial posted:

I would hire you on the spot with a cover letter like that.
Why can't recruiters be more like this guy? I swear they get the best applications but toss 'em just out.

M4rk fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 26, 2011

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Diplomaticus posted:

I can't help but feel for the kid, really. Which IGDA board is this? I might want to sign on and just try to steer him on a better path... :shobon:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

GetWellGamers posted:

I can't help but feel for the kid, really. Which IGDA board is this? I might want to sign on and just try to steer him on a better path... :shobon:

Writers SIG but you'd be wasting your time. I sent him a response that was actually helpful and he didn't seem to really understand. Lots of enthusiasm, not much maturity. About what you'd expect from someone in 10th grade. If he were a freshman in college, or starting college and looking at game design schools, I'd say go for it, but eh.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

M4rk posted:

You missed the siren at the end required to grab a goon's attention, I added one for 'ya. :l

Hope your friend didn't want any of the fifteen positions I applied for.

:siren: (Just joking.) :siren:

Why can't recruiters be more like this guy? I swear they get the best applications but toss 'em just out.

No idea, she already interviewed apparently. She's coming from Disney, I can't remember if it is their MMOG division or somewhere else game-design related, so she ought to have a pretty good shot on her own (and is quite talented). But I figured I'd put a word in as well if I could.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Diplomaticus posted:

Writers SIG but you'd be wasting your time. I sent him a response that was actually helpful and he didn't seem to really understand. Lots of enthusiasm, not much maturity. About what you'd expect from someone in 10th grade. If he were a freshman in college, or starting college and looking at game design schools, I'd say go for it, but eh.

He reminds me of myself when I was 12 and really really really really really really really really really really really really really wanted to come up with ideas for a game. I emailed a local company and the HR head gave me protips on how to write stuff but couldn't look at them.

I'm slightly less retarded now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solus posted:

He reminds me of myself when I was 12 and really really really really really really really really really really really really really wanted to come up with ideas for a game. I emailed a local company and the HR head gave me protips on how to write stuff but couldn't look at them.

I think a lot of writers go through this stage. I was like that too (though I never sent e-mails out to anyone). I guess you can take comfort in the fact that (most) people grow out of it eventually. I think as a kid you always dream big, so you come up with a ton of ideas for AAA games that you would never be able to make on your own, even if you did learn to program for a real engine and how to do modelling and texturing. The biggest hurdle is learning to scale down your ambition to a scale where you can actually take your ideas from concept to execution entirely on your own. It's possible to some day get to head up a studio and make your big ideas a reality, but not if you never produce anything to show people and get hired in the first place.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think a lot of writers go through this stage. I was like that too (though I never sent e-mails out to anyone). I guess you can take comfort in the fact that (most) people grow out of it eventually. I think as a kid you always dream big, so you come up with a ton of ideas for AAA games that you would never be able to make on your own, even if you did learn to program for a real engine and how to do modelling and texturing. The biggest hurdle is learning to scale down your ambition to a scale where you can actually take your ideas from concept to execution entirely on your own. It's possible to some day get to head up a studio and make your big ideas a reality, but not if you never produce anything to show people and get hired in the first place.
Oh mah god, don't get me started on people who think they could make the next great PvP MMO if only they were given the chance, the power, and the money (they'd make a Lineage 2 clone and it would tank), or people who think they know how to fix a game that's not broken, or the guys who think they'll get their idea published as soon as they finish their ten page design doc...

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

M4rk posted:

Oh mah god, don't get me started on people who think they could make the next great PvP MMO if only they were given the chance, the power, and the money (they'd make a Lineage 2 clone and it would tank), or people who think they know how to fix a game that's not broken, or the guys who think they'll get their idea published as soon as they finish their ten page design doc...

I have ideas on how to make a pvp mmo. But then I realised someone had done it in non-mmo form and that the technical limitations of sucha combat system would murder most servers. and then I was sad.

that said I'm at the stage of my writing where I've shelved all my super-cool ideas 12 year old me would be gushing about and am working on making GDD's for Flash games and small RPG's that I can make with RPG Maker with a view to working up. I will probably always have the issue where I can't put ideas to paper though

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Solus posted:

I remember back when I discovered the 'suggestions' mailing address for Nintendo of America on the back of an old Game Boy game. I mailed them, saying it'd be really cool if they'd make a Game Boy version of Donkey Kong Country. They mailed back saying that it wouldn't be possible with the limited hardware. I fully understood what that meant at the time.

About a year or two later Donkey Kong Land was released. :smith:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

GetWellGamers posted:

It's worth pointing out this is on the mailing list, not the forums.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
I made a game in RPGMaker95 when I was in high school and I turned out ok!

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bully for that kid. He'll learn quick -- he's got the passion, at least enough to potentially make an idiot of himself in a public forum, and that counts for a great deal.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Imajus posted:

I made a game in RPGMaker95 when I was in high school and I turned out ok!

...and had me help with art. ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Alterian posted:

...and had me help with art. ;-*

And they lived happily ever after :3:

Hey guys I have an idea for a game...