Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

PT6A posted:

That's... not terribly impressive, in my opinion. I get around 26 mpg in my Mustang, again in mixed usage, driving with no concern for fuel economy. If I were driving a lighter car with a smaller engine, I would certainly want to see a larger improvement than that.

The bad thing is that it's not lighter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When I had it, I regularly got 31-32 mixed mileage. That's fine for something that I could completely fill with amplifiers and drums and still move at a brisk pace.

Brisk isn't a word I'd use to describe the first-gen xB. An Echo engine, in a car much bigger then an Echo, with the aerodynamics of a small house... Granted my only experience was a single test drive but drat that thing was slow.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm not a big fan of em, but apparently somebody really likes the nissan titan

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Twelve+vehicles+stolen+from+Sunridge+Nissan/5162422/story.html

5 of them were among the 12-14 vehicles they stole in a single night.

quote:

CALGARY – A northeast Calgary Nissan dealership has been targeted by thieves.

The culprits broke into the Sunridge Nissan dealership on 32nd Avenue N.E. on Sunday and took the keys to at least twelve new vehicles. They then drove off with the vehicles, which include five Titan trucks, three Altima sedans, two Rogue SUVs, a Pathfinder and a Frontier.

The vehicles were discovered missing during an inventory count and have an estimated worth of $361,000.

Police are warning the public to be cautious when purchasing any of the listed Nissan vehicles especially those with particularly low mileage.

Potential buyers should ask the seller to produce paper documentation of ownership. These vehicles have been flagged and will not be able to be registered.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Considering the average decent size dealership probably has at least a few million in inventory, you think they'd at least lock up all the keys somewhere safe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lowclock posted:

Considering the average decent size dealership probably has at least a few million in inventory, you think they'd at least lock up all the keys somewhere safe.

Apparently, all the keys were in the "key room", guarded by a locked doorhandle.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

NOTinuyasha posted:

Brisk isn't a word I'd use to describe the first-gen xB. An Echo engine, in a car much bigger then an Echo, with the aerodynamics of a small house... Granted my only experience was a single test drive but drat that thing was slow.

2009 is second gen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Apparently, all the keys were in the "key room", guarded by a locked doorhandle.
Other Nissan dealers I've seen have a computer-controlled key safe, but that doesn't mean this one does.

I wonder if they stole from their overflow lot - it's always stuffed full of tons of unsold cars.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Matlock posted:

The bad thing is that it's not lighter!

The Vibe is lighter, by around 50kg. I just checked.

But the Mustang has around twice the horsepower, and mine has short gearing. I would definitely want to see more than a 2-4 mpg improvement moving from the Mustang to a Vibe.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

PT6A posted:

The Vibe is lighter, by around 50kg. I just checked.

But the Mustang has around twice the horsepower, and mine has short gearing. I would definitely want to see more than a 2-4 mpg improvement moving from the Mustang to a Vibe.

Yeah I've got a 2002 Monte Carlo LS which has a bad a/c unit that's gonna cost way more to replace than it's worth for me, so I've started looking at new cars. When I bought this thing in October 2001 I was sure that I'd have it long enough that my next new car would be some magic hybrid hatchback maybe with a dsg that would just fit every need I'd have, and now that I'm looking around I'm really disappointed at how little progress has been made on a lot of cars. The Mustang I consider to have made a nice improvement, and was actually looking at a Focus, but I might wait and see what kind of numbers the Focus ST gets next year. I may look into that Opel Buick Verano coupe that Powershift posted too.

Edit: nevermind, not interested in the Verano. Woody interior with way too many buttons.

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 27, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Lowclock posted:

When my mom worked as an accountant for a very large dealership, she said that it was completely possible to walk in the office (during the day even) and steal the keys and title (before electronic titles) for a car and have it go unnoticed until they next do inventory (which was very infrequent). This was in the 90s and she worked at a dealership network that moved probably north of 100k car/yr. I'm not sure what you would be able to do with the car after that though.

Had these guys only taken one or two cars, they probably could have gotten away with swapping out the VIN plates with an older wrecked model and drove it around with a salvage title forever without raising suspicion as long as they didn't sell it.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Powershift posted:

I'm not a big fan of em, but apparently somebody really likes the nissan titan

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Twelve+vehicles+stolen+from+Sunridge+Nissan/5162422/story.html

5 of them were among the 12-14 vehicles they stole in a single night.

No Fairlady Z's though?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not a new car, but this is the best thing I've seen all day: http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/19/No+Loss+Tire+Caps.html

Metal valve caps you can't lose and won't seize on!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Openknees posted:

No Fairlady Z's though?

They probably only had one or two on their lot. Plus, a plain old Titan or Altima would be easier to get rid of later on, if you're trying to sell them somehow.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Other Nissan dealers I've seen have a computer-controlled key safe, but that doesn't mean this one does.

I wonder if they stole from their overflow lot - it's always stuffed full of tons of unsold cars.

Supposedly all the cars/trucks were stolen off the main lot. Not really surprising because hey, it's NE Calgary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is the closest thread for this kind of thing:

That's one expensive car crash: Hapless blonde crashes her £250,000 Bentley into a Merc, Porsche, Ferrari and Aston Martin

Sorry for the Daily Mail link.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Pfft. So the equivalent of crashing half a Veyron.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solar Coaster posted:

Speaking of hot hatches, looks like Fiat will be debuting the 500 Abarth stateside at the LA Auto Show.

If this really happens, it's more tempting to look at a 500 for my next car.

I really need to go test drive one. My car is paid off but if the Abarth delivers then I might be tempted to trade in for one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gently caress YES ABARTH

hoping I can acquire an example ahead of time like we did with the regular 500, if I do I'll post a review.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress YES ABARTH

hoping I can acquire an example ahead of time like we did with the regular 500, if I do I'll post a review.

Can you post/link me to your review of the 500?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm seriously considering an Abarth SS as a daily driver, and retiring the Subaru for winter use. (Although the Impreza is great for just driving over the concrete parking stops when our card reader at work goes on the fritz.)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ugh...the new Honda CR-V is not doing anything for me.

The best way to describe it -- take a Kia SUV, throw on the Accord Crosstour grille, and pump up the rear quarter and make the rear quarter glass taper downward while the roofline bubbles upward and outward.

It, like the Civic has become a jumble of styling gimmicks thrown onto a aged existing design.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The 500 Abarth coming doesn't mean the 500 Abarth SS is coming, does it? Or will the American version be hopped up enough to equal the SS?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kimbo305 posted:

The 500 Abarth coming doesn't mean the 500 Abarth SS is coming, does it? Or will the American version be hopped up enough to equal the SS?

A few articles I've read have stated the US Abarth will be more powerful than the original.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Can you post/link me to your review of the 500?

I didn't do a review of the 500 because by the time I got my mittens on one all of the auto journos had already done it.

I am getting one this weekend I hope so if you really want a Goon Review I can see what I can do.

Kimbo, supposedly the NAFTA Abarth will be like the Euro Abarth in tuning but with the NAFTA rear end and sound deadening, but the engine will be somewhere between the Euro Abarth and the SS in terms of power. End result - should be a quieter Euro Abarth (maybe a little more compliant) with more power.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Over a year ago, Chrysler released specs on the new Multiair engine being used in the Fiat 500. They also included specs for a 170hp turbo version, which I've assumed they'll be using in the Abarth. That's what, 10hp more than the Euro SS?

Edit: Here's the link.

Also, I run a blog about the Fiat 500 Abarth. If you write a review Kyoon, would you be interested/able to let me use it on my site?

sim fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 28, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sim posted:

Over a year ago, Chrysler released specs on the new Multiair engine being used in the Fiat 500. They also included specs for a 170hp turbo version, which I've assumed they'll be using in the Abarth. That's what, 10hp more than the Euro SS?

Edit: Here's the link.

Also, I run a blog about the Fiat 500 Abarth. If you write a review Kyoon, would you be interested/able to let me use it on my site?

If I can get my hands on one and am permitted to write about it I will let you use it. Those are two pretty big ifs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sim posted:

How about a link to your blog dude? I want to reeeeeeead!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

So, we all knew the Ford Explorer was getting a turbocharged 2.0L 4-cylinder. It is now rated at 20mpg city and 28 on the highway. The engine is rated at 240hp and 270lb-ft of torque. drat good figures for a crossover of that size. We'll just have to see if real world figures reflect that.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/28/2012-ford-explorer-2-0-liter-ecoboost-to-net-20-mpg-city-28-hig/

Also of note; the tow rating with the FWD only ecoboost 4 cylinder drops to 2,000lbs. The same as my mothers 1989 3.8L Taurus LX. Nice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why would you buy a fwd Explorer? Why do they even make them?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

dissss posted:

You act as if the average Explorer ever faces terrain more challenging than the mall parking lot.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lowclock posted:

You act as if the average Explorer ever faces terrain more challenging than the mall parking lot.

I guess if you look at the Explorer as simply a Taurus wagon it makes sense, but then why does it need to pretend to be a real SUV?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

drat good figures for a crossover of that size.

Crossover? That's a loving SUV if only by size, not usefulness.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

dissss posted:

I guess if you look at the Explorer as simply a Taurus wagon it makes sense, but then why does it need to pretend to be a real SUV?

People don't like wagons. They just want a car that does everything a wagon does but without the connotation of driving a wagon.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Transverse engine, unibody car based, limited off-road capabilities...

I call it a crossover. Opinions will of course vary.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

69sofine posted:

People don't like wagons. They just want a car that does everything a wagon does but without the connotation of driving a wagon.

My point is the Taurus already does 18/28 with the 3.5 V6. Imagine what it could do with the ecoboost four.

To me the concept of concentrating on making an SUV efficient is stupid, its always going to be an inefficient form factor. Sure put the more efficient engine into the SUV but make it available in proper cars too.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

dissss posted:

My point is the Taurus already does 18/28 with the 3.5 V6. Imagine what it could do with the ecoboost four.

I believe the Taurus is getting the Eco-4 for the 2012 refresh. (?)

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Rhyno posted:

How about a link to your blog dude? I want to reeeeeeead!
Sure: http://www.fiat500abarth.us. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Just think, at first the explorer was an honest-to-goodness suv with real 4x4, locking hubs, LSDs and low range transfer cases. It was as capable as an XJ offroad. Now it's a glorified station wagon. Sigh.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

sim posted:

Sure: http://www.fiat500abarth.us. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Well it certainly looks a hell of a lot better than the Fiat 500 USA blog, which has great information but looks like it was made for a high school computer science project (in 1998).

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

lazer_chicken posted:

Just think, at first the explorer was an honest-to-goodness suv with real 4x4, locking hubs, LSDs and low range transfer cases. It was as capable as an XJ offroad. Now it's a glorified station wagon. Sigh.

For me it's been a glorified station wagon since my best friend's mom bought the Eddie Bauer edition in the early 90's. And of course by the late 90's his younger brother had flipped the thing over in the rain and had to crawl out through the sunroof. I honestly don't understand why suv's are any "cooler" than wagons. You know what was cool? My sister and I sitting in the back seat of a wagon in a 12 hour road trip facing backwards, getting truckers to honk their horns.

Speaking of wagons, I read today that the Charger and 300 are getting an 8 speed automatic on the V6 models that'll get 30mpg on the highway. If that makes its way to the Magnum when they revive it then that's going on my short list of cars to look into along with the Focus ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

dissss posted:

It's for people looking to get something bigger than the Escape and who don't care that the Escape is FWD.