Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Big Willy Style posted:

I have about another 40 of these dudes, 10 terminators, Magnus and 3 dreads to go! Not sure on the bases still. I want to get some of that dead clump grass stuff for them.

The army will be Thousand Sons (obviously) using Grey Knight rules, I am painting them up as a commission for a friend.

That is one sexy scythe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
The last few pages have been boss as gently caress, and now that I have had a few little mans arrive in the post, I have to see what I can do.

And those Infinity guys look like the missing link between Kroot and Tau.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Big Willy Style posted:

I have about another 40 of these dudes, 10 terminators, Magnus and 3 dreads to go! Not sure on the bases still. I want to get some of that dead clump grass stuff for them.

The army will be Thousand Sons (obviously) using Grey Knight rules, I am painting them up as a commission for a friend.

Lucky friend. I'm actually a little surprised at just how good Red/Blue/Yellow looks there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TastyAvocado posted:

Pretty happy with these guys, gotta be honest.

Compelling evidence for why everyone should buy some Infinity minis and also play infinity::

Man this stuff is awesome, really nice job on them. The Infinity range in general is great, but I really don't need an additional game to buy miniatures for and never play :(

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...

Sole.Sushi posted:

How'd you do that sweet base, Mr. AwesomeLaser?

I spent several hours sculpting clay to make a perfect base for my Deff Dread

:ssh: http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/ruins-bases-round-60mm-p-37.html

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ashcans posted:

Man this stuff is awesome, really nice job on them. The Infinity range in general is great, but I really don't need an additional game to buy miniatures for and never play :(

Check out the thread, download the rules (they're free online, but get the indexed re-edit PaintVagrant links to in the OPs) and proxy some stuff with friends while you learn to play. Definitely play. It's a helluva fun game. The awesome models and fluff are a bonus.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Fix posted:

Check out the thread, download the rules (they're free online, but get the indexed re-edit PaintVagrant links to in the OPs) and proxy some stuff with friends while you learn to play. Definitely play. It's a helluva fun game. The awesome models and fluff are a bonus.

I guess I wasn't really clear. I currently have three different miniature game systems (four if you count Confrontation/Ragnarok, but who does?) but I never have time to play any of them. I basically just spend 15-30min every few days trying to paint something and that is about the extent of my hobby activity. So buying the miniatures is basically the only draw, and I already have a tremendous backlog of Eldar/Orks/Warmachine to get done.

Edit: Also moved to a new city and haven't managed to make many gaming friends yet.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ashcans posted:

I guess I wasn't really clear. I currently have three different miniature game systems (four if you count Confrontation/Ragnarok, but who does?) but I never have time to play any of them. I basically just spend 15-30min every few days trying to paint something and that is about the extent of my hobby activity. So buying the miniatures is basically the only draw, and I already have a tremendous backlog of Eldar/Orks/Warmachine to get done.

Edit: Also moved to a new city and haven't managed to make many gaming friends yet.

I guess I wasn't really clear. Play Infinity. It's really good. :colbert:

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Once I offload my Cygnar I'm jumping on the Infinity bandwagon. Such awesome sculps.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Fix posted:

I guess I wasn't really clear. Play Infinity. It's really good. :colbert:

Ok fine. My wife wasn't terribly interested in 40k ('Why are there elves in space? Elves belong in forests, not on spaceships. This is silly.') but maybe she will take to Shadowrun/GitS miniatures better.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
But Eldar do live in forests of wraithbone inside their craftworlds!
:goonsay:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Fix posted:

Lucky friend. I'm actually a little surprised at just how good Red/Blue/Yellow looks there.

Yeah it is a solid scheme. Still not happy with the basing, and this was a test, so the standard of the paintjob will probably drop a bit as I try to cut some corners to save time, but I powered through the red of 5 regulars last night and I think I have it down now.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Hey guys, cross posting from the Warmachine thread. I had a friend give me his assembled but unpainted Khador Battle Box and a squad of Widwomakers so now I'm looking for some help. I've never painted mini's before and a little nervous to start.

Arlaharen was kind enough to point me to some basic newbie posts on brushthralls which are pretty awesome. I had a couple other questions and I figured I'd move over here instead of using the Warmachine thread.

Does anyone have any experience with the Khador army paint set that PP puts out? I saw it over the weekend at my local shop but wasn't ready to paint yet. I think I'm just going to keep it easy and go with the basic theme rather than try to get fancy.

Current list to paint is
  • Sorscha
  • Juggernaut
  • Destroyer
  • Widowmakers
  • Widowmaker Commander

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

smokmnky posted:

Hey guys, cross posting from the Warmachine thread. I had a friend give me his assembled but unpainted Khador Battle Box and a squad of Widwomakers so now I'm looking for some help. I've never painted mini's before and a little nervous to start.

Arlaharen was kind enough to point me to some basic newbie posts on brushthralls which are pretty awesome. I had a couple other questions and I figured I'd move over here instead of using the Warmachine thread.

Does anyone have any experience with the Khador army paint set that PP puts out? I saw it over the weekend at my local shop but wasn't ready to paint yet. I think I'm just going to keep it easy and go with the basic theme rather than try to get fancy.

Current list to paint is
  • Sorscha
  • Juggernaut
  • Destroyer
  • Widowmakers
  • Widowmaker Commander

What up, just starting to paint little dudes bro? :hf:

I have also been captivated by the siren call of how cool these things look and am getting started putting pretty colours on little mans. You and me man, we can be brave in the paint thread together!

Someone in there posted a link to this site which I found helpful. If you go sign up for an account at https://www.miniwargaming.com they will send you a .pdf on introductory painting which I also liked. It's free! I also spent an unreasonable amount of time reading the painting thread. There are lots of nuggets of wisdom scattered through there that I already figure I can make use of.

Gay Polymers posted:

Don't be nervous about painting. If you gently caress up, you just paint over it, or dip your model in Simple Green if it's really bad and start over. :)

I am already developing uncanny skill at justifying why some stray colour from my hand spazzing out is not a mistake, but is in fact a subtle and finely painted detail.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
sounds like a plan. I took your advice and signed up at the miniwargaming site, that PDF looks good. The other link though, man that site is terrible. I'm sure the advice is good but the design is just plain awful.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Big Willy Style posted:

Tell Dan to paint his own poo poo. Don't believe that BS about him needing to be a good parent :colbert:

Arlaharen posted:

Once I offload my Cygnar

Lets talk, you and I.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That discussion about what colors to pick for someone's space marines reminded me of this amazing site:
http://colorschemedesigner.com/

It's excellent for picking out color schemes; there's some really advanced settings, but just start with the compliment, triad, tetrad, etc. buttons near the top left.

When you pick something like Triad, note that you can grab the lighter-colored dots for the two complimentary colors and drag them closer together/farther apart.

Hover your mouse over any of the color swatches to get the HTML code for that color, which is useful for translating to Pantone, etc. In the bottom left, the %s are given for RGB, as well.

Obviously it's intended to be used for designing web sites that don't hurt your eyeballs, but I think the application for our hobby is obvious.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 26, 2011

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Eyespy posted:

Lets talk, you and I.

PM sent!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Sexy Sexy Pyre Troll (Base is not done.)
I also might add a touch of brass to the metal plates.

EDIT: I HAVE CONCLUDED THIS THREAD WITH MY AWESOME TROLL!

(seriously, its been like 3 hours with no posts after it.)

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 27, 2011

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
So i got some primer and gave it a shot. Here's my first attempt

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I have been working on my Scourges and I did a test model first. I am now doing the rest, when I was mixing my paints I got a mid tone wrong but looking at it I kinda like it. Which one is best, one on the left or the right?

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Finally got around to basing my guard last night at 2am, I kind of borrowed an idea from Chet AwesomeLaser's Deff Dread base (Which is awesome by the way), I hope you don't mind.

Haven't gone over the Sgt. or heavy Bolter team with Dullcote yet so they're still a bit shiny.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Big Willy Style posted:

Care to give a blow-by-blow on all the parts to these bad boys, and where you sourced them without making your bank manager bust a nut?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ansith posted:

Finally got around to basing my guard last night at 2am, I kind of borrowed an idea from Chet AwesomeLaser's Deff Dread base (Which is awesome by the way), I hope you don't mind.

Excellent use of spent shells. Normally I hate the muzzle flash, casings being ejected look on minis (no I can't easily explain why), but I really like the mound of spent shells on that base. And that paint jobs are pretty great too.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I have been working on my Scourges and I did a test model first. I am now doing the rest, when I was mixing my paints I got a mid tone wrong but looking at it I kinda like it. Which one is best, one on the left or the right?

Honestly I had a very hard time to spot the differences they both look awesome, I'd go with the finished one, because I think the more greenish highlight adds a nice contrast to the red and the purple, where the blueish green highlight is a bit muted in comparison. I would however maybe add a tiny bit more yellow to the greenish highlight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I'd prefer to see both finished for a better idea(wings/arms), but I like the one on the right so far.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Ansith posted:

Haven't gone over the Sgt. or heavy Bolter team with Dullcote yet so they're still a bit shiny.

Awesome Steel Legion, I really like the detail in the stripes on the base too.

A bit of ideally and hopefully constructive criticism - the rubble on your bases. I think it stands out too much and looks a bit unnatural? I'm assuming the idea you're going for is big falling hunks of masonry from a hive city.

Perhaps some sand around the edges of the rubble to blend it in?

Boss models, it just seems like the rubble is too 'clean' imho.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Ok so here's a question: For anyone who has ordered stuff from miniwargaming.com, do they usually include a package of Mike & Ike's in with your stuff?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Hal Gill username posted:

Ok so here's a question: For anyone who has ordered stuff from miniwargaming.com, do they usually include a package of Mike & Ike's in with your stuff?

I ordered from them several times maybe a year or two ago, and there was always candy, though not always Mike & Ike's.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Dominion posted:

I ordered from them several times maybe a year or two ago, and there was always candy, though not always Mike & Ike's.

Well goddamn, they need to advertise this kind of thing. That's added value right there.

I was just picturing some guy in there warehouse walking around wondering where the gently caress his Mike & Ike's were - "C'mon you guys I was looking forward to those" - so I guess it's good to know this is a usual thing.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Shockeh posted:

Care to give a blow-by-blow on all the parts to these bad boys, and where you sourced them without making your bank manager bust a nut?

The guy I am painting them for bought all of the stuff from some russian bloke off of ebay. Search for Egyptian space knight or something like that. IIRC it is abut 40USD for 10 torsos, 10 heads, 20 shoulder pads and 10 backpacks.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

smokmnky posted:

Current list to paint is
  • Sorscha
  • Juggernaut
  • Destroyer
  • Widowmakers
  • Widowmaker Commander

If you want just the nice red with splashes of cream, steel and brass, I'd recommend the following paints to just start out with:

Khador Red Base (P3)
Khador Red Highlight (P3)
Boltgun Metal (GW)
Mithril Silver (GW)
Menoth White Highlight (P3)
Devlan Mud (GW)
Badab Black (GW)

For any cream areas, paint Menoth White Highlight (MWH) and wash with thinned Devlan Mud until you are happy, then just highlight with the MWH. It's quick and dirty, but for beginner level work, it's easy to do and looks good. For the brass, simply wash Devlan Mud over the Boltgun Metal a few times and it will stain it to a rich bronze/brass that, again, while simple, looks great. A little Badab Black in the recesses wouldn't hurt either. The steel parts are just Boltgun Metal washed with Badab and highlighted with a bit of boltgun with Mithril Silver on hard edges. Red can be washed with Devlan Mud for depth, as can the steel to give it a grimy look.

If you wanted to add a couple more things for odds and ends, I'd advise the following:
Black (Vallejo, P3 or GW)
White (Vallejo, P3 or GW: for black and white, get Vallejo if possible since it's absolutely the same color and it comes in a dropper bottle which is nice and easy to use)
Midlund Flesh (P3)
Ogryn Flesh (GW)
Mechrite Red (GW)
Bloodtracker Brown (P3)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Dominion posted:

Same here. I love Miniwargaming.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Sole.Sushi posted:

If you want just the nice red with splashes of cream, steel and brass, I'd recommend the following paints to just start out with:

Khador Red Base (P3)
Khador Red Highlight (P3)
Boltgun Metal (GW)
Mithril Silver (GW)
Menoth White Highlight (P3)
Devlan Mud (GW)
Badab Black (GW)

For any cream areas, paint Menoth White Highlight (MWH) and wash with thinned Devlan Mud until you are happy, then just highlight with the MWH. It's quick and dirty, but for beginner level work, it's easy to do and looks good. For the brass, simply wash Devlan Mud over the Boltgun Metal a few times and it will stain it to a rich bronze/brass that, again, while simple, looks great. A little Badab Black in the recesses wouldn't hurt either. The steel parts are just Boltgun Metal washed with Badab and highlighted with a bit of boltgun with Mithril Silver on hard edges. Red can be washed with Devlan Mud for depth, as can the steel to give it a grimy look.

If you wanted to add a couple more things for odds and ends, I'd advise the following:
Black (Vallejo, P3 or GW)
White (Vallejo, P3 or GW: for black and white, get Vallejo if possible since it's absolutely the same color and it comes in a dropper bottle which is nice and easy to use)
Midlund Flesh (P3)
Ogryn Flesh (GW)
Mechrite Red (GW)
Bloodtracker Brown (P3)

For the love of god stay away from GW's white. Get Vallejo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Dont buy VGC black, its shiny as hell and that makes it very difficult to highlight because of the damned sheen.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I ended up picking up this set:
http://www.amazon.com/Warmachine-Khador-Colors-Paint-Formula/dp/B001BRDJRW

which comes with
  • Battlefield Brown
  • Greatcoat Grey
  • Khador Red Base
  • Khador Red Highlight
  • Khardic Flesh
  • Thronwood Green

So how exactly do you start? Is it just painting everything in say red and then added other accent colors on top of that?

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Brushthralls has a walkthrough of the Cygnar battlebox where they get it painted in ten days and go through all the steps. I think it's a good starting point and you can use it as a guideline for your workflow. You'll use different colors and figures but the basic principles are the same. For an absolute beginner all the shading/highlighting steps and color mixes they use are probably overkill. You'll be able to create enough depth with Red Base, Red Highlight and a 50/50 mix of Red Base/Thornwood for the shading.

Go easy on the highlight and use it only on the extreme edges unless you want your model to turn orange instead of red.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The helmets are fantastic. How did you achieve that?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Bhyo posted:

The helmets are fantastic. How did you achieve that?

1:1 Dwarf Bronze & Boltgun Metal as base
1:1 Devlan Mud & Leviathon Purple watered down over everything
Devlan Mud a bit watered down over everything
1:1 Dwarf Bronze & Mithril Silver as edge highlight
Mithril Silver at the most prominent points
Devlan Mud to hopefully calm down the highlights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

PaintVagrant posted:

Dont buy VGC black, its shiny as hell and that makes it very difficult to highlight because of the damned sheen.

This man speaks the truth.

Preparing some little metal mans, so they can get shipped off to Matgash. :cheers:

• Locked thread