Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Boxman posted:

Nothing makes me :ughh: quite like terrible ebook pricing. The Passage is $9.60 for a paperback, and $9.99 for a digital edition (and the same at Barnes & Noble, for their respective versions). I get that the majority of costs with a book don't necessarily come from physical publication, but it seems like when prices are set like this it's a real uphill battle to get digital books to be anything but a side show.
Don't where you're located, but I was able to get The Passage in epub format from my library's website here in Chicago.

For anybody who is looking for a great book, The Passage is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I don't have the patience to try to find a figure for Amazon's current market share with the Kindle, but I'm guessing that J.K. Rowling is forgoing supporting the device with the largest share of the market, in that she'll only be offering ePub format?

Also, upon looking for Kindle's market share I saw a lot of news titles like "iPad gaining on Kindle in e-Reader market share", which is pretty useless reporting. They'd need to count only iPad owners who are regular users of the Apple book store and who regularly read fiction on it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Centipeed posted:

I don't have the patience to try to find a figure for Amazon's current market share with the Kindle, but I'm guessing that J.K. Rowling is forgoing supporting the device with the largest share of the market, in that she'll only be offering ePub format?

They're offering it in a non-DRM fashion.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Harry Potter ebooks will run on every format including Kindle

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

DahtBard posted:

I understand when book prices tend to be a little off. Hardcovers being more expensive than paperbacks, which are both still cheaper than the Kindle version. Weird little technical things happen all the time, I get it.

But I do not understand this one bit. Not at all.
:wtc:

Then look how butt-hosed everyone except US, UK and German customers are. Yes, the regular Kindle price is over 11 bucks for International customers in Europe.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Jesus, the Kindle browser really is bad.

I kinda thought you guys were just over-exaggerating. Controls are clunky as poo poo and it's dial up slow.

I guess it'd be useful for checking e-mail, if I didn't mind spending a half hour to do so.

Edit: Just to not seem so complainy, I do love the hell out of my Kindle. Best $139 I've spent in I dunno how long. I'm reading a ridiculous amount. More than the last couple of years combined, I think.

spixxor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 22, 2011

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

commish posted:

Since Amazon sells more ebooks than print books, I think digital books are doing okay.

Well whoops. That's really neat to know though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

spixxor posted:

Jesus, the Kindle browser really is bad.

I kinda thought you guys were just over-exaggerating. Controls are clunky as poo poo and it's dial up slow.

I guess it'd be useful for checking e-mail, if I didn't mind spending a half hour to do so.

Edit: Just to not seem so complainy, I do love the hell out of my Kindle. Best $139 I've spent in I dunno how long. I'm reading a ridiculous amount. More than the last couple of years combined, I think.

Are you in an area with 3G? That question may sound stupid but you would be surprised how many areas don't have coverage or are stuck with lovely EDGE/GPRS (lower speed) coverage instead of real 3G.

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=1

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Are you in an area with 3G? That question may sound stupid but you would be surprised how many areas don't have coverage or are stuck with lovely EDGE/GPRS (lower speed) coverage instead of real 3G.

http://client0.cellmaps.com/viewer.html?cov=1

I am, and I've tried my home wireless network too (turns out I do have one). It just runs so ridiculously slow. Like, even going down through links with the pointer takes forever.

Going onto the Amazon store and downloading books runs just fine and fairly quick, which leads me to believe it's the browser that's the problem, not the connection.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

spixxor posted:

I am, and I've tried my home wireless network too (turns out I do have one). It just runs so ridiculously slow. Like, even going down through links with the pointer takes forever.

Going onto the Amazon store and downloading books runs just fine and fairly quick, which leads me to believe it's the browser that's the problem, not the connection.

That's strange. I don't have issues like that except when I go to a page heavy with images. Maybe try the mobile version of the site and see if that works better?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spixxor posted:

Amazon Store is actually run within the browser. You need to go to mobile/cut down versions of sites, full-on heavy javascript using pages won't work good.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Sporadic posted:

That's strange. I don't have issues like that except when I go to a page heavy with images. Maybe try the mobile version of the site and see if that works better?

Stupid question, but how would I do that? I've never really used internet on cell phones, as they're maddeningly tiny and annoy me to no end. Does a link for the mobile version pop up or something?

I've heard a couple people say they could read the forums on their Kindle with no problems, but there's not a mobile version of SA, is there? Is there a way to disable images through the Kindle itself?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Well, I'm an idiot and dropped my Nook first gen 3G (bought it back when they were $250...), and now the e-ink part of the screen is shot. It fell just a few feet, but it was onto a hard surface and I was using a cheapo cloth cover. Don't be cheap and lazy like me, get a real case for your e-reader and don't keep it perched in dumb places!

Since I've had it just over a year and the default warranty isn't going to cover this anyway, I figured I'd pop open the case all the way. It was surprisingly easy, there's a few sticky parts and the majority of the case is secured with these tiny hex screws, but I was able to use an equally tiny flathead screwdriver to get those out. It's mostly what you'd expect and I'm sure there are plenty of other pictures online, but for those interested here's what a disassembled Nook 3G looks like from the back. I didn't realize that the 2GB internal memory is held in a second MicroSD card slot (the sideways one on the left), so that was interesting. I at least salvaged that, all $5 or so worth of it.

Thumbnail, click for large version

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I've never had an ereader and only played around with one for a few moments over the fourth of july weekend. However, I've found someone over craigslist who won one through an office contest and is selling me the 3rd gen 3G graphite with the leather case new in the box and unused for $150, so I figured why not.

Anything I should test or be wary of, or check the box for (charger, etc) when picking it up, since it'll be a cash purchase?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'd make sure it boots, and has the charger. Other than that I can't really think of anything that would be a problem...

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

spixxor posted:

Stupid question, but how would I do that? I've never really used internet on cell phones, as they're maddeningly tiny and annoy me to no end. Does a link for the mobile version pop up or something?

It's generally the same url with mobile. or just an m. in front. It depends on the site though. I found it was easiest to browse for them on my computer (there is generally a link a the bottom of pages that offer it) and then type those into the bookmarks on my kindle. It definitely does a lot to make the browsing livable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh hey, hello new Kindle For PC update.

quote:

New Features on the Kindle for PC App
- :siren:Support for collections allows you to take control of your Kindle library and organize your books with ease.:siren:
- Book Extras by Shelfari. Access character descriptions, important places, popular quotations, themes, and book-specific glossaries from Shelfari, the community-powered encyclopedia for book-lovers.

You have to redownload it from here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000426311&tag=vglnk-c1533-20

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Well I picked up the kindle, the pull tab hadn't even been torn off but she let me open it and check it out. Works like a charm and registered super easy, and a hell of a steal.

Is a screen protector advised for kindles or is it not a big deal?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sperg Victorious posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&tag=kwab-20&docId=1000705681

Amazon is having a big sale through July 27, more than 900 Kindle books are on sale for $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99.

I haven't seen any books I was interested in though, sadly.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Fenarisk posted:

Is a screen protector advised for kindles or is it not a big deal?

If you keep it in a case, no. I've never seen anybody with one, anyway.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Earlier there was some discussion about e-readers in Japan.

Panasonic is releasing a new e-reader specifically for the Japanese market and to be paired with online retail giant Rakuten for the content.

It really just looks like a tablet, though the article claims they're going to try to restrict any attempts to break it and load on apps. It's also pretty drat expensive.

Overall it seems a lot worse as an e-reader device than the Sony ones which are already available but seem to lack any good amount of available e-books. Mostly it just looks like they made a neutered tablet that won't be particularly good at any of its functions. The only reason I can see anyone bothering with this over the iPad is if Rakuten's e-book library is good.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

For Kindle books, is there a way to download books from a non-Amazon Canadian website (I am in the US)? I read that copyright laws are different in Canada so some books are public domain (through project guttenberg) in Canada but not the US.

Also, if this is considered :filez: let me know and I will remove the question.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

For Kindle books, is there a way to download books from a non-Amazon Canadian website (I am in the US)? I read that copyright laws are different in Canada so some books are public domain (through project guttenberg) in Canada but not the US.

There is but since the books aren't public domain in the US, it would be :filez: for you to download them.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Edit: Maybe not.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 25, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Sporadic posted:

There is but since the books aren't public domain in the US, it would be :filez: for you to download them.

Sorry about that then. Disregard previous question and thanks for the help.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If you're looking for the Project Gutenberg stuff that isn't public domain in the US, Project Gutenberg Australia has it. However there are some books that are not public domain in Australia but are in the US, that are only present on the American site.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

z0331 posted:

It really just looks like a tablet, though the article claims they're going to try to restrict any attempts to break it and load on apps.

What's the reasoning behind this? I understand that they want to provide a consistent user experience and making a full-fledged tablet is a pain in the rear end given licensing issues, testing, etc., but why make it hard on people to root it? Wouldn't you be covering your rear end enough just by making a trivial effort to restrict the full OS features?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Well, I'm an idiot and dropped my Nook first gen 3G (bought it back when they were $250...), and now the e-ink part of the screen is shot. It fell just a few feet, but it was onto a hard surface and I was using a cheapo cloth cover. Don't be cheap and lazy like me, get a real case for your e-reader and don't keep it perched in dumb places!

I discovered my broken eink screen on my Kindle 3G just this weekend because I packed it in a soft bag and didn't think to cover it in a sturdy metal case. Pretty disappointed in how easy it is to break these screens, and I'm not really wanting to drop another $160 or so on another one already.

I wish I could salvage the 3G aspect of it somehow.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

tuna posted:

I discovered my broken eink screen on my Kindle 3G just this weekend because I packed it in a soft bag and didn't think to cover it in a sturdy metal case. Pretty disappointed in how easy it is to break these screens, and I'm not really wanting to drop another $160 or so on another one already.

I wish I could salvage the 3G aspect of it somehow.

Call amazon right now! That thing has a one year warranty on it and they should either give you a replacement or only charge you $30 for repair.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon really hosed up my plan to sell my Kindle. Now every idiot is emailing me going "Kindle 3G is only $139 :downs:"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

:doh:

Yes, let's make the ebook edition more expensive than the print edition. That surely will help sales! :downs:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

Amazon really hosed up my plan to sell my Kindle. Now every idiot is emailing me going "Kindle 3G is only $139 :downs:"

Seriously, I was going to unload mine for a touch Nook, that blew that plan all to hell. Should have moved quicker, I guess.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

:doh:

Yes, let's make the ebook edition more expensive than the print edition. That surely will help sales! :downs:
Yes, especially in the urban fantasy magical cop story genre. There's not ten million authors self-publishing stuff just like that for a couple of bucks!

I mean if it's a mainstream book at least it's understandable, but genre fiction is where self published authors excel. You're competing with every guy who wants to tell a werewolf in London story, and that's a lot of guys. The Dresden books aren't so good that I wouldn't rather read a $3 novel by an unknown author instead, if he has an interesting concept.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

sirbeefalot posted:

Seriously, I was going to unload mine for a touch Nook, that blew that plan all to hell. Should have moved quicker, I guess.

On the upside, those looking to purchase used eReaders for a cheaper price are happy. Also you can give out your old eReaders as gifts!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Quantify! posted:

Yes, especially in the urban fantasy magical cop story genre. There's not ten million authors self-publishing stuff just like that for a couple of bucks!

I mean if it's a mainstream book at least it's understandable, but genre fiction is where self published authors excel. You're competing with every guy who wants to tell a werewolf in London story, and that's a lot of guys. The Dresden books aren't so good that I wouldn't rather read a $3 novel by an unknown author instead, if he has an interesting concept.

So what constitues being a mainstream book? Topping the NYT Bestseller list? (Used the last book in the series since the one in question came out yesterday. Also, I'm apparently whiteknighting the author of White Night. :ohdear:) I really don't think ebook pricing is going to be particularly nimble as long as the agency model is in place. Gosh, I'm glad Apple jumped into the ebook market to save us all from Amazon's tyranny!

Going with indie authors is one solution, but there's also a huge number of absolute crap indie authors out there too, and I haven't found a good method of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

fordan posted:

So what constitues being a mainstream book? Topping the NYT Bestseller list?

Going with indie authors is one solution, but there's also a huge number of absolute crap indie authors out there too, and I haven't found a good method of separating the wheat from the chaff.
I suppose topping the NYT charts makes something mainstream, at least in the sense I'm talking about. Nonetheless genre fiction competes a lot more with the type of work self published authors love to churn out, rather than the latest James Patterson story of war-torn lovers or whatever kind of thing your average middle aged mom likes to read.

Of course self published authors are putting out loads of that stuff too, so really there's no excuse to pay $15 for a book when you can get similar levels of fluff for a lot cheaper. If you're talking quality stories, that's a whole different thing. I'm sure right now you'll find more quality stories in traditional publishing. But if you like to read fluff (and nothing wrong with that, I read plenty of fluff) you shouldn't be paying a premium for it.

As to separating the wheat from the chaff, that's what review systems are for. It works the same for self published as it does for traditionally published. I use review systems for everything I buy.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I like to read fluff, but there's still often a large quality difference between self-published genre fluff and the books that have gone through a traditional editing and publishing process.

Reviews aren't reliable to me unless they're from reviewers that I follow regularly and trust. I've come across too many obvious sockpuppet reviews or sites where self-published authors are openly pushing review or recommendation chains for promoting their work. Even the legit reviews are probably going to be from people who have different taste than I do.

The limiting factor on my reading tends to be time rather than money. If a bestselling e-book costs more than I want to pay then I get it from the library instead, but I'd still rather pay more for a smoother reading experience. And considering how long my to-read list is, there's no reason for me to waste time separating the few reasonably-priced self-published gems from the massive pile of cheap poo poo that's not worth it at any price.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Saw an interesting fact in a recent NYTimes article:

quote:

Stieg Larsson’s third book in the Millennium series, “The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest,” has yet to be published in paperback in the United States, more than a year after its hardcover was released. (It has sold 2.5 million copies in hardcover and 1.1 million in e-book form.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/books/e-books-accelerate-paperback-publishers-release-dates.html

I didn't realize that eBooks had gotten that big.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

smackfu posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/books/e-books-accelerate-paperback-publishers-release-dates.html

http://www.mediabistro.com/ebooknewser/ebook-sales-up-160-this-year_b13724

Ebook sales are up 160% from last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commish
Sep 17, 2009

smackfu posted:

Amazon sells more ebooks than regular books, as has been pointed out elsewhere. The vast majority of people I know that read often have kindles or nooks.