Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER

einTier posted:

Not that I doubt you, it's just that they must be using some creative photography. Every one of the kits with that piece makes them look like they're just ever-so-slightly tinted if at all.

It's definitely tinted, but it's also reasonably see through.

Here's a few shots seeing I am being not lazy this morning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Wow. That's amazing how dark it is when it's lying down and how faint it is when it's stood up and there's something behind it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'll be heading into town tomorrow to see if I can find the S5 minifigs. If they're in the UK the Netherlands shouldn't be too far behind I hope.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

einTier posted:

Wow. That's amazing how dark it is when it's lying down and how faint it is when it's stood up and there's something behind it.

That's because of its shadow.

Pyroclastic posted:

vvvvvvvvvv
Since they just released the Pet Shop, there won't be another modular building for at least another year.

I was more wondering if there was any hint of what it would be yet.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

MaliciousOnion posted:

That's because of its shadow.

Oh, I get that, I'm not stupid. It also has to do with light transmission and the fact that there's little light entering from the back.

But still, as dark as it looks on the paper, it very much matches the description of "definitely smokey black". I'd expect them to be very noticeably black when picked up -- to the point that if that was the picture I saw, I'd never suggest them to someone looking to build a clear tube.

Then I see the photo with the guy standing behind it, and it seems reasonably clear again. Not as good as a true clear, but certainly acceptable. It's just surprising to see that.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

I was more wondering if there was any hint of what it would be yet.

We didn't even have confirmation this latest one was going to be a Petshop until like a week before it hit stores. So, settle in.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
For anyone near Baltimore, there's a place called Taylor's Antique Mall in Ellicott City, which is a series of antique booths with various items for sale. One such booth is a Lego megashop. While some of the prices are retarded ($8 a minifig? bah), they sell complete open-box sets for reasonable prices. Worth a visit, at least, if you're nearby.

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
The lady in WHSmiths on the Isle of Wight gave me 3 randoms (bleh - snowboarder, cavewoman, lumberjack). Apparently they came in yesterday and most of the box had gone already. We got one of those vouchers too but we'll only spend it if they let us feel the packs!

We also bought one of the alien conquest sets at Tesco last week for ~£18, I now wake up with a tripod-riding alien staring at me. He's pretty cool tbh :D

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
I hit up KMart yesterday, got tower rescue and hogwarts express for half off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Baggy_Brad posted:

It's definitely tinted, but it's also reasonably see through.

Here's a few shots seeing I am being not lazy this morning:

Oh wow, it's like two different pieces. Awesome, I can totally use that. I wish it was a properly clear piece, but that'll do too.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Red posted:

For anyone near Baltimore, there's a place called Taylor's Antique Mall in Ellicott City, which is a series of antique booths with various items for sale. One such booth is a Lego megashop. While some of the prices are retarded ($8 a minifig? bah), they sell complete open-box sets for reasonable prices. Worth a visit, at least, if you're nearby.

Yeah, I've been there. Those stairs up to the 3rd floor gave me vertigo something horrible.

Did you check out the toy store 2 doors down? He has a nice *overpriced* lego selection as well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

Yeah, I've been there. Those stairs up to the 3rd floor gave me vertigo something horrible.

Did you check out the toy store 2 doors down? He has a nice *overpriced* lego selection as well.

Huh. I don't remember two Lego booths. The lack of a/c in there must kill brain cells.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Red posted:

Huh. I don't remember two Lego booths. The lack of a/c in there must kill brain cells.
No, there is an actual toy store 2 store fronts down from the Antique mall.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
During my lunch break, I went to TRU and bought two S4 minifigures (and the BOGO 40% applied to it), got hazmat and scientist.

The BOGO deal makes me contemplate getting a few Technic sets. Any suggestions? I'd like something to help beef up the pieces I have now. I've got a pretty healthy lot, thanks in large part to the Off-roader. I've got one large motor and several small ones. The only thing I know I'm missing out on is pneumatics.

Maybe I should just spend the money on a random bucket of Lego on eBay or something. Been a while since I did that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

No, there is an actual toy store 2 store fronts down from the Antique mall.

Oh, THAT place. Yeah, I stopped by and picked up an NES game for five bucks. All Time Toys, I think.

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011
About a month ago TRU had a good deal and I bought a b bunch of the $20 and below sets of the Space Invader line, haven't got around to building them yet. I've never made a diorama or LEGO scene before and I was thinking of doing a good guy last stand against one of the alien walkers.

Was curious what other goons thoughts were about the Space Invader line?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Sapper2CRNA posted:

About a month ago TRU had a good deal and I bought a b bunch of the $20 and below sets of the Space Invader line, haven't got around to building them yet. I've never made a diorama or LEGO scene before and I was thinking of doing a good guy last stand against one of the alien walkers.

I have the Space Invader tripod set and really like it, it's pretty cool. It's nice to have a set that isn't a licensed property.

I'm making my girlfriend's one-year anniversary card in LEGO Digital Designer...gently caress the prices on there are expensive! Wouldn't it just be cheaper to go my local LEGO store and buy the pieces there? I'm trying to find a "catalog" feature in the software to tell me how much of each piece I have...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

illcendiary posted:

I'm making my girlfriend's one-year anniversary card in LEGO Digital Designer...gently caress the prices on there are expensive! Wouldn't it just be cheaper to go my local LEGO store and buy the pieces there? I'm trying to find a "catalog" feature in the software to tell me how much of each piece I have...

Going to the Lego Store would be a tossup. Chances are they wouldn't have most of the parts you'd need, let alone in the right colors.
AFAIK, LDD doesn't have any sort of piece breakdown, so your best bet would be to catalog them yourself and find a seller on brinklink that has 'em all.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

Going to the Lego Store would be a tossup. Chances are they wouldn't have most of the parts you'd need, let alone in the right colors.
AFAIK, LDD doesn't have any sort of piece breakdown, so your best bet would be to catalog them yourself and find a seller on brinklink that has 'em all.

I figured as much. To be fair, it's a very basic card, almost all simple 1 by X or 2 by X pieces, so chances are it would in fact be at the Lego store. Still curious as to the prices, cause god drat I'm at about $65 right now and it's not even a big card.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Sapper2CRNA posted:

I loving love it. I've never been much of a space theme fan, but I have slowly been buying up these sets.
First one I picked up was the Jet-Copter set and it's the first set I have bought in quite a while that I felt was really worth the price.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Plenty of other Alien Conquest sets visible, but the Tripods are all sold out across the town. :qq:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In Australia, they've sold out of everything except for the jet-copter and that little car thing. Why, why did the line have to be Target-exclusive?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Sapper2CRNA posted:

I really like it. I dig the whole 50s aesthetic of the saucers and the human minifigures look pretty great. I have the tripod, the saucer with the lights, the EDF buggy, and three of the 5 dollar impulse sets.
The tripod's legs don't move very much but it cuts a cool figure, the saucer part is removable, and the round turret is really cool. I hadn't seen a part like that before.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

illcendiary posted:

I figured as much. To be fair, it's a very basic card, almost all simple 1 by X or 2 by X pieces, so chances are it would in fact be at the Lego store. Still curious as to the prices, cause god drat I'm at about $65 right now and it's not even a big card.

Plates or bricks? You could certainly get enough plates in a $15 PAB cup to make your card, maybe two cups if they're bricks. The prices through LDD and their online PAB are outrageous. It wouldn't hurt to call the Lego Store to see what they have to see if the drive's worthwhile.

Shrike41
Jan 7, 2011
Awesome didn't know people liked the series so much. I have one of the tripods, 5 of the ADU buggies and I think 3-5 of the $5 impulse buy sets for more ADU soldiers. Maybe if I ever get unlazy i'll make my little diorama and post a pic...maybe.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

Plates or bricks? You could certainly get enough plates in a $15 PAB cup to make your card, maybe two cups if they're bricks. The prices through LDD and their online PAB are outrageous. It wouldn't hurt to call the Lego Store to see what they have to see if the drive's worthwhile.

Bricks currently, though now that I think of it, the same primary effect (essentially a three dimension heart popping out of the plane) could be accomplished with plates instead of bricks. In any case, I'm certain that buying at the store would be cheaper, and it's only a 10 minute drive away anyway.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Went to Toys R Us looking for S5 mini figs but all they had was some S4 for 3 bucks a pop so I went ahead and bought 3 more to add to my growing collection, on the plus side I went 3/3 on guessing the mini figs. Got myself the awesome hockey player that has about 12 pieces to it, the Frankenstein which is pretty close to being my favorite if it was not for the Haz Mat guy and last I got the skateboarder which reminds me of myself a lot a few years ago. Unfortunately I can not find the two that I really want, the Viking Warrior guy and the Musketeer elude my grasp still, maybe E-Bay might be a good idea but that takes all the fun out of it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rythe posted:

Went to Toys R Us looking for S5 mini figs but all they had was some S4 for 3 bucks a pop so I went ahead and bought 3 more to add to my growing collection, on the plus side I went 3/3 on guessing the mini figs. Got myself the awesome hockey player that has about 12 pieces to it, the Frankenstein which is pretty close to being my favorite if it was not for the Haz Mat guy and last I got the skateboarder which reminds me of myself a lot a few years ago. Unfortunately I can not find the two that I really want, the Viking Warrior guy and the Musketeer elude my grasp still, maybe E-Bay might be a good idea but that takes all the fun out of it.

These are both pretty easy to feel out. Feel for the round shield with a peg on the front for the Viking and the long thin rapier for the Musketeer. You can also check for the musketeer's hat if you want to be sure.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

How often do BOGOs come up for Toys R Us that include Star Wars?

Waiting to get my next paycheck to blow on legos, and am kind of interested in the Hoth Base set.

Edit: For people really into Alien Conquest, they have a battle pack with 2 soldiers, 2 aliens and a businessman. I'd prefer a head crab to the businessman, but whatever. They seem decently common at LEGO stores, and if someone really wants one and can't find any I might be able to help.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 30, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rythe posted:

I tried to feel out Frankenstein, but I got the mad scientist. Now that I think of it, I have no idea how I made that mistake. Must've been the head I was feelin'.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

ZarathustraFollower posted:

How often do BOGOs come up for Toys R Us that include Star Wars?

Waiting to get my next paycheck to blow on legos, and am kind of interested in the Hoth Base set.

Seems to me every other BOGO at TRU includes Star Wars. They usually limit the BOGO stuff to lines that haven't had a refresh--Ninjago and Harry Potter both recently got some new sets (like the bus from HP and the two new dragon sets from Ninjago), so they're excluded, but Alien Conquest and PotC aren't. I'm pretty sure both of them were excluded from the last BOGO.

I went today hoping to find S5, but they had none, of course. Still no reported sightings in the US, from what I gather. After a lot of mental arguments, I walked out with a pair of Space Centres. If Ninjago wasn't excluded, I probably would've gotten the new Fire and Lightning dragon sets, even though they're both pretty pricey.

Also, New Lego Survey!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The only thing that would have made the Alien Invasion tripod any better is if they released a companion set that consisted of a steam-powered oceangoing warship meant to attack the tripod. Also the set has to include a Richard Burton minifig.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

They have the buy one get one half off on all Lego sets at the local Toys R Us in north TX. I tried to feel for the shield/helm and the sword for the muskettier in two full boxes but no luck finding either. Those peices are pretty easy to find since they are so unique, I got lucky with Frank the head and head peice where connected and that was a easy give away.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krazyface posted:

In Australia, they've sold out of everything except for the jet-copter and that little car thing. Why, why did the line have to be Target-exclusive?

I just wish they'd made the Vic Viper a set by itself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Revol posted:

I tried to feel out Frankenstein, but I got the mad scientist. Now that I think of it, I have no idea how I made that mistake. Must've been the head I was feelin'.

"I wanted the piece of poop, but got a brick of solid gold instead! CURSES!"

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Captain Invictus posted:

"I wanted the piece of poop, but got a brick of solid gold instead! CURSES!"

Hey, I'm not complaining! I really like the scientist. But I'm putting my favorite minifigs on my computer at work, and I already have a zombie and a mummy, so I was looking to add another monster.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Revol posted:

Hey, I'm not complaining! I really like the scientist. But I'm putting my favorite minifigs on my computer at work, and I already have a zombie and a mummy, so I was looking to add another monster.

I got my favorite on my computer at work the S3 fisherman, I want get the S5 Eskimo to add to the fishing mini figs collection. Right now the pride and joy is the Haz Mat guy since I used to work on the B-2 Stealth Bomber and around nukes it is only fitting :)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rythe posted:

I got my favorite on my computer at work the S3 fisherman, I want get the S5 Eskimo to add to the fishing mini figs collection. Right now the pride and joy is the Haz Mat guy since I used to work on the B-2 Stealth Bomber and around nukes it is only fitting :)

I have 8 Lego minifigs on my computer, along with two MegaBrick Halo dudes. I've got Yoda, Chewie, R2-D2, Hazmat, Scientist, Mummy, Zombie, and Caveman.

On the bookshelf in my cubicle, I have:

- Midi-scale Star Destroyer
- Mini-scale Millenium Falcon (it's kinda sucky, actually)
- Mini-scale Slave One
- Mini-scale Medical frigate (AFOL design I found online)
- Life-size Lego Pokeball (another design I found online)
- Hockey player vignette (my design)
- Batman, Two-Face and Penguin minifig magnets

I want to add a mosiac design that is the length of the bookshelf, 35 inches wide. Just had an idea... maybe a Zelda: LTTP sprite?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
So I was too late with my gift cards to get the shuttle, and instead I bought my first train set, the Emerald Night. I also bought 4 of those miner mechs since they were so cheap:

I think I'll actually build the Emerald night since I've never made a train before... except that Unitron Monorail but that was different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testro
May 2, 2009
I bought the Emerald Night the other week too, but I'm trying to resist the temptation to rip into it just yet (I powered through Grand Emporium this last week). I hadn't really had much interest in trains until I saw it for sale - and look at it...how can you not want it?!