Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Awesome man, thats the best sort of coach. What tips did he give you?

The one that sticked the most was while I was on top. I had passed his guard and I was trying to get a good pin. The guy being stronger than me was able to keep me from really hugging him with all my might. I was controling his hips with one of my knee, but that was keeping me from really getting a good pin so I removed my knee to go into north-south. Doing this let him move more freely and I basically had to go back in my previous position to keep him from escaping and I was never able to really get a good pin (he wasn't going anywhere, but it was really tiring to keep him pinned). Until he told me to use my hand to replace my knee and vice versa and then I just moved into north-south and could hug him with my balls in his face no problem!

Edit : basically helped me to move from an horrible yoko shio gatame to a good kami shio gatame

What a no homo way to start a new page!

Now with a picture of some no homo hugging

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Neurosis posted:

I appear to have contracted molluscum contagiosum. I know this takes a long time to go away. I don't particularly want to stop training for 6 months - 2 years.

It's all over my forearm. What precautions should I take to stop from spreading it to other people?

A friend of mine had this once, so I asked him what he thought.

First, see a doctor. Lasers are good at killing it, apparently.

Second, tell whoever runs your gym. Someone else probably has it and has no idea they're spreading some poo poo to other people. They might think they just have gross skintags or something for some reason.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 27, 2011

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Jean Charles Skarbowsky is teaching at my gym tonight and tomorrow. He's been in town since last week, and so far he's chipped a few teeth, bruised a few ribs, and handed out plenty of hematomas.

I've been going to the gym for less than 2 months, so I'm not going to be sparring with him, so I should be ok.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Guess who might start giving judo lessons :clint:

Yep, that's right, I'm only green belt but I'm so awesome that I will already be teaching. That means I'm the best ever!

I'll be teaching to kids under 5 years old :ssh:

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Stabbing Spork posted:

Jean Charles Skarbowsky is teaching at my gym tonight and tomorrow.

I hate/envy you.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Stabbing Spork posted:

Jean Charles Skarbowsky is teaching at my gym tonight and tomorrow. He's been in town since last week, and so far he's chipped a few teeth, bruised a few ribs, and handed out plenty of hematomas.

I've been going to the gym for less than 2 months, so I'm not going to be sparring with him, so I should be ok.

I hope he's drunk :allears:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I had all the growths burnt off a while ago, but they spread again anyway. To my understanding burning them off doesn't cure the underlying illness.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Neurosis posted:

I had all the growths burnt off a while ago, but they spread again anyway. To my understanding burning them off doesn't cure the underlying illness.

I did this, they grew back, so I went back to the dermatologist. He laughed and then did the freeze again, but longer and more intense, then he gave me an RX for a wart ointment that you brush onto the affected areas.

After my open wounds healed, I used that crap for like 6 weeks and finally killed the virus.

When I went to bjj, I taped up my hand, which, combined with the ointment, keeps them from spreading.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
So my "trial" month at the local KMV worldwide place just expired and they seem to be pretty firm on their terms. They're asking for a 6-12 month commitment at $150 dollars a month.

Is it too demanding of them? I told them over the phone that I'm a student and I can't commit to anything like that during the school-year and that I'd be willing to do something on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. They said they would call back, but they haven't since last night.

Opinions? I've never taken any martial arts before, so I know nothing of how these gyms operate.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Neurosis posted:

I appear to have contracted molluscum contagiosum. I know this takes a long time to go away. I don't particularly want to stop training for 6 months - 2 years.

It's all over my forearm. What precautions should I take to stop from spreading it to other people?

I thought I had contracted molluscums when I was in new york, which was really unfortunate because it kept me off the mat for two weeks where I could have been training, but turns out it was just an allergic reaction (Which I suppose IS fortunate, considering the alternative). HOWEVER, I went to several dermatologists and read every little tidbit on it I could find online.
First off, molloscums are auto-innoculating. This means that you're spreading that poo poo to yourself by scratching or rubbing it. For example, when you shower, you shouldn't be using the same towel where you're infected and on "clean" areas. there's an underlying virus beyond the visible papules, however, if you manage to get all of them, you'll stop being contagious to both yourself and others.

And, this part really sucks, but you really shouldn't be training when you have MC. Even if you cover up the spot where you THINK you have them, there might be an unnoticed cluster on the inside of your thigh or on your back or something that'll keep spreading it.

My advice is to keep getting it frozen off. It might leave a little scar if it's bad, but otherwise it should heal up in two to three weeks. You'll spend those weeks looking like a leper with those liquid nitrogen burns, though. If you get all of them, the virus will still be in your body, but apparently it goes away by itself and you're not actually contagious anymore.

After you get it frozen off the doctor might prescribe you some anti-wart stuff or another cream thing. This might help combat the MC papules, especially the ones that aren't very developed, but for some people it doesn't do anything. It didn't do anything for me at all, but I guess that's because I didn't have either MC or warts.

A last bit of advice, and this might sound a little ghetto, but this is what two different dermatologists told me, you can also deal with MC by draining them yourself by popping them with a sterilized needle and squeezing the crap out of them afterwards. Keyword here being sterilized, all the way.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

After a month off, I'm finally getting back on the mat for some Judo practice! Words do no express how excited I am.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

molotoveverything posted:

So my "trial" month at the local KMV worldwide place just expired and they seem to be pretty firm on their terms. They're asking for a 6-12 month commitment at $150 dollars a month.

Is it too demanding of them? I told them over the phone that I'm a student and I can't commit to anything like that during the school-year and that I'd be willing to do something on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. They said they would call back, but they haven't since last night.

Opinions? I've never taken any martial arts before, so I know nothing of how these gyms operate.

A) Where do you live? Is it just KM classes or is other poo poo offered? That's really expensive.
B) What'd you think of the classes?
C) Did you try and negotiate them down?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

My judo club is free with my gym membership at a local university. I also get access to the pool and rock garden and weight rooms all for less than a third of that price and I don't even go to the university. Every other martial arts school always looks like a bad deal to me.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My gym offer me MMA, BJJ, wrestling, boxing, muay thai, a few conditioning classes of varying intensity, etc, for $110 AUD a month. If I were a machine, I could train 3 hours a day, 7 days a week, and cancel the membership at any time. Your KM place sounds expensive as hell.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
Besides krav they offer mauy thai, mma, bas rutten, and a few others, they're in a pretty good neighborhood so that's why I imagine they're expensive as gently caress. (that and there aren't any other martial arts places around nearby)

Anyways as far as negotiation, they seem pretty firm. They were only willing a "special price" of 118 a month that they tout in brochures around town if you sign up for the full 12 months.. Mind you I don't consider myself much of a negotiator so I'm not sure what to tell them.

They haven't called me back yet either, I called them last night when the person on the phone told me that she would talk to the owner about me wanting a bi-monthly or monthly commitment.

Captain Scraps, I'm not much of in a position to judge if the classes are any good. But from reading what you wrote earlier, it didn't seem like there were red flags at the very least. IE not having groundwork in level 1-2 classes and such.

molotoveverything fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 27, 2011

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyways as far as negotiation, they seem pretty firm. They were only willing a "special price" of 118 a month that they tout in brochures around town if you sign up for the full 12 months.. Mind you I don't consider myself much of a negotiator so I'm not sure what to tell them.

You have to be willing to say screw it and go find another gym. Explain "You aren't the only game in town", except nicer and more diplomatic, maybe even quote another gym's prices for just what you wanted. Prices are always negotiable, when there is a contract for a service, you don't need, that there are alternatives for.

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

KildarX posted:

You have to be willing to say screw it and go find another gym. Explain "You aren't the only game in town", except nicer and more diplomatic, maybe even quote another gym's prices for just what you wanted. Prices are always negotiable, when there is a contract for a service, you don't need, that there are alternatives for.

I agree, I actually found another similar gym in my area just now. So I know of Krav Maga, but then what is Israeli Kapap?

http://kapapcombative.com/

It looks like it's another sort of "Krav Maga Worldwide"
http://www.kapapacademy.com/schools.htm

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

I agree, I actually found another similar gym in my area just now. So I know of Krav Maga, but then what is Israeli Kapap?

http://kapapcombative.com/

It looks like it's another sort of "Krav Maga Worldwide"
http://www.kapapacademy.com/schools.htm

Fun fact: I had a KMW instructor tell me a lot of KMW schools were poo poo.

I really, really like the striking style but I'm starting to dislike some of the way they handle classes. This multiple attacker stuff is getting pretty ridiculous.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Besides krav they offer bas rutten
What the heck does that mean?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

My gym offer me MMA, BJJ, wrestling, boxing, muay thai, a few conditioning classes of varying intensity, etc, for $110 AUD a month. If I were a machine, I could train 3 hours a day, 7 days a week, and cancel the membership at any time. Your KM place sounds expensive as hell.
Ugh I'm jealous as hell. I don't pay much for Judo but every time we do newaza it makes me want to join the BJJ place or the MMA place down the road.

e: Ohhhh, and I got kata gatame and tapped the guy out during newaza too. Felt pretty good. Is there a no gi version of this that is effective?
It looks like an arm triangle to me. Are they the same thing?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 28, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Process are highly dependant on location. When I was in LA $150 a month for BJJ was a steal, now that I'm back in the Midwest half that is closer to standard (though I work out with a university affiliated club so pay more like $20 a month).

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Nierbo posted:

What the heck does that mean?

Ugh I'm jealous as hell. I don't pay much for Judo but every time we do newaza it makes me want to join the BJJ place or the MMA place down the road.

e: Ohhhh, and I got kata gatame and tapped the guy out during newaza too. Felt pretty good. Is there a no gi version of this that is effective?
It looks like an arm triangle to me. Are they the same thing?

As far as I know, kata gatame is exactly like an arm triangle except the emphasis is on pinning them rather than choking them. In kata gatame you drive all your weight onto their shoulder to prevent them from escaping rather than squeezing and circling around for an arm triangle choke. I am probably very wrong about the details of the arm triangle part. But hey I tapped a dude with kata gatame too! :)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So I've had a few Judo lessons now, and I'm really enjoying them, but the attitude of the people is weirding me out a little. It's like they're trying to be polite, but they're thoroughly convinced that their art is the be all and end all, and none of them have ever explored outside it. They let something slip here and there which sounds really arrogant, but they don't realize. Most of them were surprised that BJJ uses a gi.

It's fun but it's creeping me out a bit. Most martial artists seem to have at least dabbled in two or three different arts, but these guys are blinkered. Judo is supposed to be about making you a better person and all that, and BJJ has no such component, but I feel like I'm the most down-to-earth person there. Otherwise they're a pretty fun and relaxed club.

I'm not criticizing the entire martial art obviously, just the particular club I ended up settling on. Weird vibe.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So I've had a few Judo lessons now, and I'm really enjoying them, but the attitude of the people is weirding me out a little. It's like they're trying to be polite, but they're thoroughly convinced that their art is the be all and end all, and none of them have ever explored outside it. They let something slip here and there which sounds really arrogant, but they don't realize. Most of them were surprised that BJJ uses a gi.

It's fun but it's creeping me out a bit. Most martial artists seem to have at least dabbled in two or three different arts, but these guys are blinkered. Judo is supposed to be about making you a better person and all that, and BJJ has no such component, but I feel like I'm the most down-to-earth person there. Otherwise they're a pretty fun and relaxed club.

I'm not criticizing the entire martial art obviously, just the particular club I ended up settling on. Weird vibe.

Hmm that's strange. Where I practice judo, we have a lot of people who do BJJ mainly and come to train judo a few times a week.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Stabbing Spork posted:

Just got back from this training session. Jean Charles is a goddamn comedian. He is always joking around and having fun. I couldn't tell if he was drunk or not, and he was just drinking water during the class. It was a small class, like 10 people, and he already knew the names of some of the students, and he introduced himself to everyone else.
The only scary part for me was when he asked me to hold pads for him so he could demonstrate a combo. He wasn't wearing gloves or anything, so I was worried about his hands, then he hit me with a teep out of nowhere that put me on my back.
Super nice guy though.
(I escaped before sparring started)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Neurosis posted:

A normal longsleeve rashguard + gi and daily cleaning of your mat and regular hand/arm washing will reduce the chance of it from spreading to other people. (I got my molluscum from some high school kid who wasn't washing his hands.)

Talk to your coach and let people know you're training with about it. If they're not comfortable with it, then don't train with them.

As to how to get rid of it, freezing them off works very well. Either use liquid nitrogen and some q-tips or one of those wart-b-gone kits. I would freeze off 3-5 at a time, wait several days, freeze some more. All the while I kept training normally, except the first week I took off to make sure it wasn't staph or MRSA....

I would not suggest trying to drain them. In my case there was no fluid inside of them so trying to pop them had no effect.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 28, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here's a vid of me sparring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJRJ9xkP70

I have a couple others, but they're all pretty badly shot. This one is the best example of how I act in the ring. Also sorry for the poo poo quality.

I get rushed and clinched near the end

edit: I'm in grey

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 28, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fontoyn posted:

I have a couple others, but they're all pretty badly shot. This one is the best example of how I act in the ring. Also sorry for the poo poo quality.

You'll get yelled at to keep your hands up a lot but here's one of the biggest things I noticed:

You throw punches. Or kicks. But not both. Mix 'em up.

Throw a combo and end on a kick. Throw a kick in the middle of a combo. Throw double kicks. Throw a foot jab and go in for punches.

When sparring and you're in kick range but not punch range, I know what's coming; I'll see that round kick coming from a mile away. But if you start punching my face, I won't be thinking about my ribs or my legs as much.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

basically helped me to move from an horrible yoko shio gatame to a good kami shio gatame
I have the same problem as you, I don't find yoko shiho terribly effective. My instructors taught it so us but just so we know that its a position but not something you specifically want to go for. Love the pic though.

Oh, and thanks canoshiz.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 28, 2011

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fontoyn posted:

what he said; front leg kicks look good; rear leg kicks appear to be thrown in a gingerly manner by both of you; too much reaching with punches

get a different headgear if your face gets messed up like that during practice anyway lmfao

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Guys, I'm getting increasingly frustrated.....

Every time I spar if I take a shot to the face I get a goddamn nosebleed, sometimes its just a light bleed but still it usually ends the round as I dont want to bleed all over the mats.

Is this common? as I seem to be the only person in the gym that gets it regularly and is there anything I can do to prevent it (aside from the obvious not getting hit)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My nose used to bleed every drat time I sparred. Then I got better :cool:

Seriously though look into getting your nose cauterized if it's that bad every single time.

Fontoyn just going to quote what I posted in your log since other people will be able to weigh in on what I'm saying as well.

KidDynamite posted:

Right near the beginning around 0:50 you hit him with a good lead left hook and then lunge after him with a right hand while stepping forward with your back foot. No bueno.

If you're going to throw a lead left hook like that either accept it's going to be a pot shot or step in forward and to the left a bit so you can follow up with a good straight right that will actually do something.

Around 2:32 you miss a right roundhouse to the thigh and follow it up with a side kick. Maybe a spinning backfist would have worked better there(not sure if your rules allow it or it's disallowed for sparring) something to keep in mind.

At 2:44 you throw a left hook to the body horribly with no defense. To throw that hook to the body you have to be compact and tight with your step in and keep that right hand up. A kick would have demolished you there.

You get a bit flustered when he pressures you after that but you keep throwing back so that's good. You dodge his first few punches but then you decided to kick while he was too close so he caught you. Punches would have worked better in that situation. Lateral movement will also help tons.

Over all you looked good. Your defense looked good but I don't know how much that is from sparring punches or whatever. What speed where you guys going?

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 28, 2011

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That sucks, where I train nobody ever even talks about self-defense or how "good" a martial art is. I'm really happy with that. A bunch of people have trained other things, but most people just do judo for judo's sake and don't even think about how "good" or "bad" it is compared to other MA.

Nierbo posted:

I have the same problem as you, I don't find yoko shiho terribly effective. My instructors taught it so us but just so we know that its a position but not something you specifically want to go for. Love the pic though.

Oh, and thanks canoshiz.

I never go for yoko shio unless I'm just there. A nice geza is always a better option for me. It's always the position I find the easiest to escape out of no matter who's applying it it. Once I get it I always try to move to a north-south or full mount.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
it's strange they didn't know you do bjj in a gi. Most martial artists know at least enough to know what costume other styles wear.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

it's strange they didn't know you do bjj in a gi. Most martial artists know at least enough to know what costume other styles wear.

I think we all know that one does BJJ in a Kimono.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

only when you're a bottom player.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I wish they would clear up all the different names for no-gi and just call it "submission grappling". That seems to be the name that captures it the best.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
Training martial arts gives me bad knees and it sucks to have to take off days or weeks while I wait for them to heal. I can't get a consistent diagnosis either so I don't even know what the problem is. All I can do is wait and try to strengthen my leg muscles since that seems to be the common treatment for all the things I was diagnosed with.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Office Sheep posted:

Training martial arts gives me bad knees and it sucks to have to take off days or weeks while I wait for them to heal. I can't get a consistent diagnosis either so I don't even know what the problem is. All I can do is wait and try to strengthen my leg muscles since that seems to be the common treatment for all the things I was diagnosed with.

I wear wrestling kneepads. They work wonders.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

People already covered this but some things that immediately stood out to me were.

1.)You seriously need to keep your hands up. You're leaving your chin wide open on almost every combo and kick you throw.
2.) Set your kicks up with punches
3.) You're reaching so much with your cross that you're pulling your back foot off the floor. Makes it really slow, leaves you wide open, and has no power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This thread has a fair amount of discussion on self-defense so I thought this might garner some interest. My local alt-weekly ran an article called one punched, about people who die (generally in fistfights) from one punch. What happens is that a fight starts, someone gets KO'd, they fall and it's the fall that scrambles their brains. Another lesson that fighting outside controlled environments is not a good idea!

Grifter fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 29, 2011

• Locked thread