Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Shnooks posted:

Can someone tell me why it's popular for deadbeat Dads to run away to Florida?

I was told a very, very long time ago there were laws or something like that protecting them from paying child support or at least being jailed for not paying.

My father is mentally and physically ill and ran away to Florida in '98 or '99. He has never paid child support and owes me like $200k. I don't want to get it back - In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm emancipated from him so I can't get it if I wanted to. He's been in jail several times for domestic violence, DUIs, failure to pay child support, violating probation and restraining orders, the list goes on. Somehow when he moved to Florida he was absolved of all of this and nobody has been able to "reach" him since.

I just feel like I hear a lot about deadbeat parents running down to Florida and getting by somehow with no jail time. There has be a reason why Florida is a hotspot for lovely parents.

In many states, you can have your wages garnished for things like missed child support payments. There are some states where they can't do this, so I'm guessing Florida is one of them. Texas is like that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Barnum posted:

In many states, you can have your wages garnished for things like missed child support payments. There are some states where they can't do this, so I'm guessing Florida is one of them. Texas is like that as well.

You can definitely garnish wages for child support in Florida. I'm also 95% sure the FL DMV will pull his license for missing child support payments if they are made aware of the situation. But honestly the guy sounds like a career deadbeat and if he just works cash jobs and drives without a license there isn't much anyone can do to him.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You can definitely garnish wages for child support in Florida. I'm also 95% sure the FL DMV will pull his license for missing child support payments if they are made aware of the situation. But honestly the guy sounds like a career deadbeat and if he just works cash jobs and drives without a license there isn't much anyone can do to him.

AFAIK he got his license revoked in the 90s due to constant DUIs and driving without a license. Smart man, but was never able to hold a job down due to his alcoholism, then later his severe and crippling diabetes. Last I spoke to him in 2001 he was waiting 3 years for his "disability" to come in.

Basically he mooches off of women to live.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Why is red dye the only dye that will gently caress up your laundry, and why can't red dye manufacturers get it right like all of the other color makers?

Honestly, I can't figure it out.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Agrikk posted:

Why is red dye the only dye that will gently caress up your laundry, and why can't red dye manufacturers get it right like all of the other color makers?

Honestly, I can't figure it out.

Its not? Washing a black piece of clothing will grey your white clothes. Washing a dark blue piece of clothing will do the same with light colored clothes. Don't wash dark colored clothes with light colored clothes.

Although the fact that they wont make a legit red eyeshadow because its "unsafe" is bullshit, gently caress you MAC makeup. :colbert:

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

2508084 posted:

Although the fact that they wont make a legit red eyeshadow because its "unsafe" is bullshit, gently caress you MAC makeup. :colbert:

What the hell? Unsafe how?

I've seen a fair bit of red eyeliner on the beauty blogs lately...

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

marshmallard posted:

What the hell? Unsafe how?

I've seen a fair bit of red eyeliner on the beauty blogs lately...

Last I heard, two years ago (?), it was something about true (think russian red MAC lipstick) red pigment being unsafe for eyeshadow. Theres reddish eyeshadow, but I'm talking slutty, fire engine red eyeshadow.

Maybe something has changed? :allears:

e: I'm going to check MAC's eyeshadow catalog online and see if they have a RED red, not an orange red or whatever, but I doubt it.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

True red colors in cosmetics are frequently made by using carmine or cochineal, from the bodies of crushed cochineal insects. Some people have sensitivity to this substance, so in the interest of not having their customers get sick from using their product, cosmetics manufacturers tend to leave it out of their eye makeup lineup and thus not offer a "Fire Engine Red" in eye shadow and eyeliner.

http://ns.umich.edu/index.html?Releases/1997/Nov97/chr110197

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is calling a cheap car with lovely mods "riced out", or the person who does such a "ricer", racist?

In my experience the answer to "Is X racist?" is always yes, but the term was a sweeping generalization of Japanese cars, not people, and I don't think you can be racist against inanimate objects.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

Is calling a cheap car with lovely mods "riced out", or the person who does such a "ricer", racist?

In my experience the answer to "Is X racist?" is always yes, but the term was a sweeping generalization of Japanese cars, not people, and I don't think you can be racist against inanimate objects.

You're stereotyping asian people and using a negative term to describe them. Imagine if someone asked you why you were wearing *black person* shoes just because they were Air Jordans. They are using your possessions to make racist stereotypes.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

greazeball posted:

You're stereotyping asian people and using a negative term to describe them. Imagine if someone asked you why you were wearing *black person* shoes just because they were Air Jordans. They are using your possessions to make racist stereotypes.

Makes sense. I never use the term because I'm not a car guy, but it wasn't until last week when I heard someone else use it that I went "waaait a minute". Doesn't effect my vocabulary either way, although it is distressing that its ubiquity helped it slip under my radar and confuse me the way "That's gay" did years ago, when that was just something people thoughtlessly said, whatever their feelings about gay people.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What's the term for that V-shaped groove that some people have below their abdomen? It was Hermes' belt or something like that.
Edit: Nevermind, found it. It's Appollo's belt.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 28, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Spermando posted:

What's the term for that V-shaped groove that some people have below their abdomen? It was Hermes' belt or something like that.

Pretty sure its an Adonis belt.

Thanks Fig Newton! I couldn't remember why exactly they didn't make red shadows.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Fig Newton posted:

True red colors in cosmetics are frequently made by using carmine or cochineal, from the bodies of crushed cochineal insects. Some people have sensitivity to this substance, so in the interest of not having their customers get sick from using their product, cosmetics manufacturers tend to leave it out of their eye makeup lineup and thus not offer a "Fire Engine Red" in eye shadow and eyeliner.

http://ns.umich.edu/index.html?Releases/1997/Nov97/chr110197

Have they not found a better way to make red yet? That article is from 1997...

webster876
Aug 4, 2007
Here's the situation:

I have an old broken busted revolver that I really have no desire to keep. It is not registered to me (an old roommate gave it to me almost a decade ago), I've never shot it, it probably would explode in your hand if you tried to shoot it. I really know nothing regarding who made it or anything, and I don't expect it would be worth anything if I tried to sell it.

It is currently at my ex-wife's house. My ex-wife has a roommate with kid with baby daddy drama, and without going into details, they are going to get a CPS visit within the next few days. I don't imagine they would be snooping around and possibly find this gun, but just in case I don't want it to there anymore. But I also don't want to take it back to my new home as I have roommates and am not sure how they'd feel about having any kind of firearm in the house, regardless of whether or not it works or is loaded or whatever.

I'd really prefer just to trash it, but for obvious reasons i'm not going to just toss it in the garbage can. What are my options for disposing of this?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I'm sure your local police department would be happy to take care of that for you. Most PDs are trying to get guns off the streets, so they have programs that help facilitate that process.

I would call and ask first before showing up with an unlicensed weapon though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

greazeball posted:

As it is used now, it doesn't imply anything about the race of the owners. Even in the beginning, I don't think it meant that it was Asian people doing those kinds of modifications to Asian makes of cars. It was, as The Aphasian pointed out, that these kinds of mods showed up on Japanese cars, heck, specifically Hondas, even.

That said, if Asian people are offended when they hear that term being used, then it certainly has a racist payload to it.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Spermando posted:

It's called a "vagina", they're magical.

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
Where's a good place, either on SA (Ask / tell, SH/SC, DIY & Hobbies...) or elsewhere, to recruit a webmaster to help me out with a gaming site that I run? Long story short is I've always relied on someone else to provide the technical skills, but people have moved on or drifted away, leaving me up the proverbial creek.

I'm now looking for someone temporarily to help me restart it - to clean up the whole FTP structure, construct a new site (I'm after a layout as well in fact) and help to install a CMS that I can run by myself, as well as occasionally provide technical assistance if poo poo breaks and I can't fix it.

I'm of course willing to pay a small fee for their time too, but I'm not looking for some expensive corporate service. I've advertised on the site and asked around my friends to no avail. Is there anyone here or elsewhere that can do so?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Magic posted:

Where's a good place, either on SA (Ask / tell, SH/SC, DIY & Hobbies...) or elsewhere, to recruit a webmaster to help me out with a gaming site that I run? Long story short is I've always relied on someone else to provide the technical skills, but people have moved on or drifted away, leaving me up the proverbial creek.

I'm now looking for someone temporarily to help me restart it - to clean up the whole FTP structure, construct a new site (I'm after a layout as well in fact) and help to install a CMS that I can run by myself, as well as occasionally provide technical assistance if poo poo breaks and I can't fix it.

I'm of course willing to pay a small fee for their time too, but I'm not looking for some expensive corporate service. I've advertised on the site and asked around my friends to no avail. Is there anyone here or elsewhere that can do so?

There's always people asking for web dev help in SA-Mart, make a thread there.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Hey ask/tellers, I have a question regarding an apartment building. My girlfriend is moving out of her place on Saturday and the process was going fairly smooth (she gave the proper notice, stayed until the lease expired, etc). The landlord has been acting unusually hostile lately for some reason, though. Unfortunately, it seems as though this woman has been showing the unit to interested renters without giving my girlfriend or her roommate any notice, and this has been happening while nobody was home. The only way they found out was because their neighbors told them about it.

Unless otherwise stipulated in the lease agreement (is that even the term?) is the landlord allowed to do this? Assuming it is legal, fine and dandy she'll be gone soon anyway, but if not I'd like to make sure she gets some third party involved so that the landlord doesn't do anything crass like withhold the security deposit.

edit: duh this is in MA by the way

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

ServoMST3K posted:

Hey ask/tellers, I have a question regarding an apartment building. My girlfriend is moving out of her place on Saturday and the process was going fairly smooth (she gave the proper notice, stayed until the lease expired, etc). The landlord has been acting unusually hostile lately for some reason, though. Unfortunately, it seems as though this woman has been showing the unit to interested renters without giving my girlfriend or her roommate any notice, and this has been happening while nobody was home. The only way they found out was because their neighbors told them about it.

Unless otherwise stipulated in the lease agreement (is that even the term?) is the landlord allowed to do this? Assuming it is legal, fine and dandy she'll be gone soon anyway, but if not I'd like to make sure she gets some third party involved so that the landlord doesn't do anything crass like withhold the security deposit.

edit: duh this is in MA by the way

I know in the state of WI the landlord is required to give 24 hours notice unless otherwise agreed upon.

Like if the landlord called at noon and said "Can I show the place at 3 today" and your girlfriend agreed, that would be fine, but if the landlord is leaving a voicemail/note at noon it would have to be for the next day at noon or later.

No notice of any sort is actually considered unlawful entry here in Wisconsin. She may also want to make sure none of their stuff is missing.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I know in the state of WI the landlord is required to give 24 hours notice unless otherwise agreed upon.

Like if the landlord called at noon and said "Can I show the place at 3 today" and your girlfriend agreed, that would be fine, but if the landlord is leaving a voicemail/note at noon it would have to be for the next day at noon or later.

No notice of any sort is actually considered unlawful entry here in Wisconsin. She may also want to make sure none of their stuff is missing.

Yeah, there was absolutely no notice given to my girlfriend or her roommate. I just skimmed through some "Tenant' Rights in MA" on a legal website and it also noted the 24 hour thing. Well, what do you know. I'll try to figure out who she should contact about this (other than maybe calling the local police station and seeing if this warrants a complaint with them).

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

webster876 posted:

Here's the situation:

I have an old broken busted revolver that I really have no desire to keep. It is not registered to me (an old roommate gave it to me almost a decade ago), I've never shot it, it probably would explode in your hand if you tried to shoot it. I really know nothing regarding who made it or anything, and I don't expect it would be worth anything if I tried to sell it.

It is currently at my ex-wife's house. My ex-wife has a roommate with kid with baby daddy drama, and without going into details, they are going to get a CPS visit within the next few days. I don't imagine they would be snooping around and possibly find this gun, but just in case I don't want it to there anymore. But I also don't want to take it back to my new home as I have roommates and am not sure how they'd feel about having any kind of firearm in the house, regardless of whether or not it works or is loaded or whatever.

I'd really prefer just to trash it, but for obvious reasons i'm not going to just toss it in the garbage can. What are my options for disposing of this?

Where do you live? Do you live in the same state as your ex? Most states don't have any sort of a handgun registry. Don't turn the gun into police unless you have to. If you can get the revolver, take some pictures and post 'em here and the TFR guys should be able to help you out with your local laws and what kind of revolver you have. Basically, your location will determine what disposal options you have. That said, I just like guns and am interested in what you have :).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ServoMST3K posted:

Yeah, there was absolutely no notice given to my girlfriend or her roommate. I just skimmed through some "Tenant' Rights in MA" on a legal website and it also noted the 24 hour thing. Well, what do you know. I'll try to figure out who she should contact about this (other than maybe calling the local police station and seeing if this warrants a complaint with them).

While you absolutely should protect yourself when in the right, bear in mind, also that causing too much grief for the landlord may make her resentful and difficult when it comes time to get the deposit (or nitpicky about damage.)

This of course, is terrible to have to weigh protecting yourself and being in the right versus getting what's due you, but it's worth pointing out that a path of least resistance might be best if you just want to get your money and go.

I'm not saying don't report it, or don't ask her to notify you before she shows the place. You should. But be wary about how much authority you bring down on her, if all you care about is getting your deposit back with as little difficulty as possible.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

Thanks for the reply. I agree that making sure she gets out without making this landlord more obstinate is probably a good thing. I have nothing to do tomorrow while she works, maybe I'll stay at the place while her and the roommate are away to make sure nothing fishy is happening.

I actually didn't see the apartment thread before I posted in here, woops.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Feenix posted:

...if all you care about is getting your deposit back with as little difficulty as possible.

Which includes documenting everything and taking pictures. Whether or not they are going to cause a fuss.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

marshmallard posted:

Have they not found a better way to make red yet? That article is from 1997...

There are other red dyes out there, but unfortunately while they're useful in things like Jello and chewing gum, they're too problematic when used on the face, and especially around the eyes. I know what you're thinking, that there ought to be some "miracle dye" thanks to Better Living Through Chemistry, but all the ones they've come up with since they've been working on it (since about the middle of the last century) have had various reasons why they haven't been widely adopted--either too expensive, or too toxic, or sometimes just suffering from bad rep, such as the red dye that was banned due to its causing cancer in lab rats, and the one that the ADHD people say makes it worse.

So, no, there isn't anything else.

If there were a way to do it, Fire Engine Red eye makeup would be out there. So the fact that it isn't, says to me that it's not feasible, for whatever reason--financial, scientific, health.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Which includes documenting everything and taking pictures. Whether or not they are going to cause a fuss.

Quoting for the truth. Document EVERYTHING

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
What's watching video bought with Amazon's Instant Video thing like? I assume it's DRM'd to hell, but I'm trying to find a cheap way to finally get into Doctor Who.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

What's watching video bought with Amazon's Instant Video thing like? I assume it's DRM'd to hell, but I'm trying to find a cheap way to finally get into Doctor Who.

If you have netflix instant, it's all on there and the quality is good.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Yup. My girlfriend is giant Doctor Who fan. Hell, when I got her to join SA, she named herself after a character from the show. I'm not a sci-fi guy, but she got into it via Netflix instant. I think Torchwood (a spinoff and anagram of Doctor Who) is there too. I'm pretty sure they've got quite a few episodes (60+?) in the new series. Enjoy. Do it up and hopefully you like it.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I was waffling just doing Amazon Prime but Netflix probably has a bigger selection. Also not as expensive (I doubt I'll use it all year).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Eat This Glob posted:

I think Torchwood (a spinoff and anagram of Doctor Who)

Whoah!

(mind blown)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

spog posted:

Whoah!

(mind blown)
It's also an anagram of "do hot crow!" :pseudo:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

spog posted:

Whoah!

(mind blown)

Me too!

:psyboom:

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I shot some video with my camera, and 4:30 clip is over a gig, meaning that I'm in dire need of some encoding software. A friend of mine suggested a thing called SUPER, but I figured I'd ask you guys as well. What's the best encoding software? File size is more important than quality. Bonus points if I can edit the audio track with the program.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

SnowblindFatal posted:

I shot some video with my camera, and 4:30 clip is over a gig, meaning that I'm in dire need of some encoding software. A friend of mine suggested a thing called SUPER, but I figured I'd ask you guys as well. What's the best encoding software? File size is more important than quality. Bonus points if I can edit the audio track with the program.

My new favorite free program for simple editing and conversion is Avidemux suggested to me in the windows software thread.

I don't know about editing the audio track with this, you can definitely replace the track with something else. I usually use vegas for most things though.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Thanks lots, this is exactly what I'd need!

One more question: once I've figured out how to encode a video, is there a (quick) way to apply the same routines to a bunch of other videos? The best I've gotten so far is to open a video file, pick the encoding options, saving the job, opening another video file, pick the same encoding options again, saving the job, repeating this over and over and finally executing the joblist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SnowblindFatal posted:

Thanks lots, this is exactly what I'd need!

One more question: once I've figured out how to encode a video, is there a (quick) way to apply the same routines to a bunch of other videos? The best I've gotten so far is to open a video file, pick the encoding options, saving the job, opening another video file, pick the same encoding options again, saving the job, repeating this over and over and finally executing the joblist.
If encoding is all you need, try Handbrake (google it, should be at the top.) Very quick and easy to queue a load of videos.