Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003
That MBE was gibberish. Every question I read I was like "I know the answer! Bob had no duty to protect and wins!" then I read the answers and they are all like "Bob wins because of he has potatoes" "Bob wins because he is tall" and I'm like wtf.

There was one question where an ambiguous "he" in the question made it impossible to tell if a witness was testifying that the witness or an employer had sex with an employee. I don't think the hard part is supposed to be figuring out what the question is trying to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Hope the bar is going well for everyone, congrats to those done, lol at those with another day.

I've got about one more week left as a BigLaw SA and these last two weeks have been poo poo. Not oppressively hard hours or getting yelled at or any of that, but complicated projects that make me feel like a total dumbass. FYI, doing M&A in California can be a pain in the dick especially when you're noob status.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Just finished taking the Michigan bar and I feel pretty good about it, honestly. The essay choices could have been worse and the MBE was not all that bad. I saw a lot of questions that were variants of the questions that the NCBEX lets you purchase and take online. I think more people should do this...unless of course I fail.

Anyway, I got a job with the Michigan Court of Appeals Research Division that starts August 15th. I'm pretty sure I only have to pass the bar by my year-end review, which gives me at least one more shot at it.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Nero posted:

That MBE was gibberish. Every question I read I was like "I know the answer! Bob had no duty to protect and wins!" then I read the answers and they are all like "Bob wins because of he has potatoes" "Bob wins because he is tall" and I'm like wtf.

There was one question where an ambiguous "he" in the question made it impossible to tell if a witness was testifying that the witness or an employer had sex with an employee. I don't think the hard part is supposed to be figuring out what the question is trying to say.

When I took it (and was studying for it), I'd really get frustrated with poor writing. That thing you mentioned where they phrase the answer in terms of facts instead of law is infuriating.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You all realize that if you pass the bar you actually have to be lawyers right?

(Ok, those 2 of you with jobs)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

nm posted:

You all realize that if you pass the bar you actually have to be lawyers right?

(Ok, those 2 of you with jobs)

I don't know, there are people here who've passed two or three bars and are doing other stuff.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MoFauxHawk posted:

I don't know, there are people here who've passed two or three bars and are doing other stuff.
Hence my note.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

nm posted:

Hence my note.

Well they have jobs in different fields, some of them, but they're the most bar passingest people we know. Like Hookars. She did have to be a lawyer for a while though so you're right. And Ainsley went to law school and now he's a professional writer! If there's one thing I've learned from the success stories in this thread it's that law school can lead to many different lucrative and fulfilling careers.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 28, 2011

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Wow, Texas afternoon essays were harsh.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Wow, Texas afternoon essays were harsh.

gently caress it, I think I'll be looking at this poo poo again in February.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

gently caress it, I think I'll be looking at this poo poo again in February.

That one property question was so awesome I had a lady adversely possessing land from herself. I knew it was crazy but it was the best I had.

Edit: \/ \/ yeah the dude said "6 to 1 it's guardianship" rear end.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 28, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

That one property question was so awesome I had a lady adversely possessing land from herself. I knew it was crazy but it was the best I had.

Gotta be points for that three year AP under color of title. Also said something about inquiry notice.

I got RAPED on trusts.

Barbri guy said "It's trust, trusts, guardianship. Always. And we've had two trusts in a row the past two times. It's gonna be guardianship."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 28, 2011

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The Wise Teen posted:

Did not expect the MBE to be harder than the essays

That's probably because it's not. I'd say more, but by breaking the book seal I guess I had a binding contract to never talk about the MBE ever, and that paragraph was definitely written by LAWYERS so don't bother arguing THE LAW with them...

Also, it sounds like MO and MN used the exact same bullshit civpro question for the essays. :wtf:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The MBE seems harder because you can be torn between two answers. In fact, the more you know, the more second guessing you'll do.
The essays are actually harder though. You just don't know that your answer is completely wrong.

I didn't get my scores (CA), but I scored high enough on the MBE to pass into MN (145). I felt pretty lovely about the MBE before.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I figure we all have about as much a chance of winning this as finding a job:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/suits/sweepstakes/legallife/

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Even if you never attend a lecture or crack another book, just doing a couple thousand practice questions over the course of a month will easily boost an MBE score by 25%. That kind of prep is a no-brainer in my book.

Out of curiosity, anyone here know how ess grading typically works? How much do they hate incomplete answers where you ran out of time vs. more complete ones if you just made some crap up? In other words, how terrible is too terrible?

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?
Whatever happened to suitchat?

I'm going for a fitting for a bespoke suit tomorrow morning. Anything I need to be aware of or watchful for before I pull the trigger?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Double-postin' about USA's wacky quirks.

quote:

No law degree, no problem. USA is giving you the chance to live like a lawyer —no legal training or power suit required!

Enter now to win a cardboard box papered with rejection letters, complete with glory hole and coin slot.

Is Suits as dumb as the commercials look?

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 29, 2011

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Priority offers day for law firms in Perth, Australia. It's 7:30AM and I'm sitting here rocking back and forth in anxiety. It would be disappointing to be a top 10 student and not get an offer from a top tier law firm, but pessimism indicates this is the likely outcome.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

Out of curiosity, anyone here know how ess grading typically works? How much do they hate incomplete answers where you ran out of time vs. more complete ones if you just made some crap up? In other words, how terrible is too terrible?
I just made crap up on two of my essay questions last year, and it worked out. So long as your answer is structured in one of the accepted ways (e.g., IRAC), you can get by doing that on a few questions. Partial answers are probably OK too if you have the law right.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Neurosis posted:

Priority offers day for law firms in Perth, Australia. It's 7:30AM and I'm sitting here rocking back and forth in anxiety. It would be disappointing to be a top 10 student and not get an offer from a top tier law firm, but pessimism indicates this is the likely outcome.

Are you drinking in celebration or drinking in sorrow?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MaximumBob posted:

I'm going for a fitting for a bespoke suit tomorrow morning. Anything I need to be aware of or watchful for before I pull the trigger?

Make sure your suit has functioning buttons on the fireman's flap

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MaximumBob posted:

Don't be afraid to speak up when something doesn't fit right. In particular, make sure there is enough clearance in the balls region. It should feel just a touch snug in the middle, especially if you're fat (like me). But not more than that.
The most expensive fabrics don't always wear well, but the cheap fabric suck. Basically middle of the road for anything but a special suit.
Greyish linings are for pansies. I recommend starting with something dark reddish. Goes well with a red tie, conservative enough for anywhere.
Start with a dark charcoal.
None of my suits are off the rack :smug:

(Get some good shoes too)

yronic heroism posted:

Enter now to win a cardboard box papered with rejection letters, complete with glory hole and coin slot.

Is Suits as dumb as the commercials look?
I would assume so. It looks really dumb.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Are you drinking in celebrationr or drinking in sorrow?

Fifteen minutes with no call into the offers period and it looks like sorrow. Whata great way for the world to poo poo on all my hard work.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Neurosis posted:

Fifteen minutes with no call into the offers period and it looks like sorrow. Whata great way for the world to poo poo on all my hard work.

Aww, I'm sorry. :( It'll work out though. Things always work out (when you're not in the States).

I didn't get a call in the morning of my call day and I ended up with one of the best jobs out there. :shobon:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Thanks. Looks like I'll be slumming it for a year at a second rate firm.

It's really frustrating. I'm not socially retarded and I have good grades but I am cripplingly bad at interviews.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

MaximumBob posted:

Ask if it's fully-canvassed. If it's not and you are paying more than a few hundred bucks, you're getting ripped off.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

MaximumBob posted:

(1) You're my guinea pig for this tailor, so take notes.

(2) Do you think they do bespoke seersucker?

(3) If you're going bespoke, nm is right. Get something interesting for the inner lining. Nobody's ever going to see it while it's on you so it's not like you have to worry what others will think.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Who are the NOLA lawyers here again and can they recommend a good suit-type place that's maybe a step above J.A.B./Wearhouse, my ancient wool suits are finally wearing out and I need something more light and breathable anyway since each city I work in is hotter and humider than the last :argh:

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Dear Goon Bar Counsel,

If an opposing party in a divorce case has posted a video to Youtube featuring him dropping his child on his head, am I morally obligated to do my best to make this video go viral?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

echopapa posted:

Dear Goon Bar Counsel,

If an opposing party in a divorce case has posted a video to Youtube featuring him dropping his child on his head, am I morally obligated to do my best to make this video go viral?

Are you referring to your moral obligation as a human being or as a lawyer? All I remember from legal ethics is that these are usually diametrically opposite.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Elotana posted:

Who are the NOLA lawyers here again and can they recommend a good suit-type place that's maybe a step above J.A.B./Wearhouse, my ancient wool suits are finally wearing out and I need something more light and breathable anyway since each city I work in is hotter and humider than the last :argh:

sak's off fifth, nordstrom rack

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Are you referring to your moral obligation as a human being or as a lawyer? All I remember from legal ethics is that these are usually diametrically opposite.

Basically I want this guy to be humiliated without me losing my license.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

10-8 posted:

(2) Do you think they do bespoke seersucker?
I can confirm this exists but have never pulled the trigger.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

echopapa posted:

Basically I want this guy to be humiliated without me losing my license.

Yeah. I think your duty as a not worthless human being is to make it viral. As an attorney, I don't know. I want to think it's ok because they're not your client and it's publicly available, but I have no clue.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah. I think your duty as a not worthless human being is to make it viral. As an attorney, I don't know. I want to think it's ok because they're not your client and it's publicly available, but I have no clue.

Dude dropped a baby on his head, filmed it and put it on Youtube. gently caress what the attorney is supposed to do unless his client was the one taping.

e: this might be terrible legal advice, but I'm outta here, suckas

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Adar posted:

e: this might be terrible legal advice, but I'm outta here, suckas

Exactly. Our "ethical" rules are just hosed sometimes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Elotana posted:

Brooks Brothers in Canal Place sells poplin suits, those are pretty cool in the summer.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

yronic heroism posted:

Also, it sounds like MO and MN used the exact same bullshit civpro question for the essays. :wtf:

MO uses the Multistate Essay Exam which are just general questions made up by the NCBE that are meant to be administered by multiple states if the state chooses to use them. MN probably decided to go the MEE question route rather than make up their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
NY State bar completed. Hopefully I will never, ever go to the Javits Center again, because that poo poo was miserable.

Somebody in the morning before the MBE approached me and said "Excuse me, do you know whether the US Constitution applies to criminal law?" "Well, yes. Yes it does." "OK, so that means that when you have a rape case, because that's a gender crime, you apply intermediate scrutiny?"

Anyway, anybody got post-bar trips planned?