Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm thinking about getting an Amazon Prime account because of their streaming video service. Even if I do, I'm not going to abandon my Netflix, even with the price increase. My question is, is it worth it to get Prime just for the video library? Are there any sites that index the content in the same way instantwatcher.com indexes stuff for Netflix Watch Instantly? Are there any good articles or blog posts I should read about Amazon's streaming video service? If I'm going to spend the drat money I want to be informed, and I don't want to buy something I don't need and won't use.

Here's a list of the videos that are Prime eligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fralcon
Nov 25, 2002

by Ozmaugh
Just plowed through first three seasons of x-men, show still owns bones.

COVERED IN SCORPIONS

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I'm trying to figure out how in the world they manage to put the second group of Golgo 13 episodes, only it's not Golgo 13, it's Honey and Clover, and not even take it back down after about two weeks of reporting. Think they're still a bit distracted about now.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

User-Friendly posted:

You're watching Season Two, which starts with the 7th episode of the series.

Netflix and IMDB both disagree with you. I think Netflix just has a weird error in their episode listing.

Anyways, loved the show and can't wait till they get the second season up on streaming!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

JLightning posted:

Netflix and IMDB both disagree with you. I think Netflix just has a weird error in their episode listing.

Anyways, loved the show and can't wait till they get the second season up on streaming!

I've seen Netflix mess up the order of episodes more than a few times, and they seem to be pretty slow to fix it when it happens.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa

Aphrodite posted:

It has some good stuff in the TV section.

All 4 seasons of Mad Men, season 1 of Justified, Community season 1, 2 seasons of Weeds, all 3 Arrested Development seasons, 1-4 of Rescue Me etc.

The movie selection is just okay. Seems to be mostly comedies and B movies.

You would need a proxy/VPN and a credit card with a US billing address to use the American Netflix in Canada.

Dont forget about Nip/Tuck, Dexter, LOST and Heroes.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I never watched the 90s X-Men series. Does it hold up, or should I pass?

I just finished with the second season. Its a kids Saturday morning cartoon show. Lasers instead of bullets, no blood, no one dies, kid writing. Still its a fun show to watch in your down time. I did see bits and parts as a kid so that may color my view.

Darth Freddy has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Jul 26, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wonder what happens in the future when lasers have become commonplace. What do they replace them with in cartoons?

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I wonder what happens in the future when lasers have become commonplace. What do they replace them with in cartoons?

Nerf guns, obviously

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They just go back to guns. After the living horror of being sliced in half by a beam of light, the instant cauterization keeping you alive just long enough to understand that you're dieing and no one can help you, regular old pow now there's a hole in you and you're dead guns don't seem all that bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And people will use guns to point out stuff during presentations. Children will have them on keychains, and they'll be sold for $1 in vending machines.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

And people will use guns to point out stuff during presentations. Children will have them on keychains, and they'll be sold for $1 in vending machines.

"And here," BANG BANG BANG "you can see our goals for the end of the quarter. Now you'll notice right here," BANG BANG "that we intend to exceed last quarters profits by fifty thousand. And moving on to the next page we can see," BANG POW BANG "that we've had fantastic safety record again this year, only twenty six accidental discharges and four fatalities. I'm very proud of all of you."

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Watched Rubber over the weekend and I must say it was definitely one of the more interesting films I've seen in a while. If a serial killer tire with head exploding powers sounds like a fun time check it out.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

"And here," BANG BANG BANG "you can see our goals for the end of the quarter. Now you'll notice right here," BANG BANG "that we intend to exceed last quarters profits by fifty thousand. And moving on to the next page we can see," BANG POW BANG "that we've had fantastic safety record again this year, only twenty six accidental discharges and four fatalities. I'm very proud of all of you."

I want to live in the world you describe.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I just watched the first season of Mad Men, my god, if you haven't watched this show, watch it now. Makes me want to drink and smoke my face off, and also treat women like objects(not really though)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

My Spirit Otter posted:

I just watched the first season of Mad Men, my god, if you haven't watched this show, watch it now. Makes me want to drink and smoke my face off, and also treat women like objects(not really though)

What the hell man?!? You are in the "Movies that are available via instant netflix" thread, and you talked about watching the first season of Mad Men. I said "gently caress yeah, finally!", booked it over to Netflix, only to find that it is not at all on instant watch.

I hate you so much right now. :(

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Doom Rooster posted:

What the hell man?!? You are in the "Movies that are available via instant netflix" thread, and you talked about watching the first season of Mad Men. I said "gently caress yeah, finally!", booked it over to Netflix, only to find that it is not at all on instant watch.

I hate you so much right now. :(

Turn that frown upside down! Looks like tomorrow you'll get your wish: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/06/netflix-mad-men-episodes-streaming_n_845371.html

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

El Diente posted:

Watched Rubber over the weekend and I must say it was definitely one of the more interesting films I've seen in a while. If a serial killer tire with head exploding powers sounds like a fun time check it out.

How is this different from, or similar to, Scanners?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Doug posted:

Turn that frown upside down! Looks like tomorrow you'll get your wish: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/06/netflix-mad-men-episodes-streaming_n_845371.html

Well... That is convenient. I am doing an overnight smoke for a BBQ lunch for coworkers Thursday, and needed a good way to stay up all night. Homebrewed porter and Mad Men it is!

I wonder what time it is going up.

Fake edit: You are still not forgiven, Otter!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Fake edit: You are still not forgiven, Otter!

It's on the Canadian Netflix.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

It's on the Canadian Netflix.

This is clearly the most compelling reason yet for me to move to Vancouver.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Zwabu posted:

Rubber also has an interesting "movie within a movie" subplot. It's really neat, give it a shot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zwabu posted:

They are both cheesy and low budget but Rubber is smugly self aware and has little plot and makes no sense for no reason. I didn't hate it nor enjoy it although it has moments.

Content: The Bad Lieutenant w/ Nicholas Cage is up and I found it entertaining. It's a Herzog crime/drama about a cop that dates a hooker, steals, extorts, snorts coke, pisses off the mob, his bosses and politically connected businessmen while trying to solve several crimes. The plot meanders (intentionally), things get weird when he starts hallucinating, and everything is not answered overtly so that may put some people off.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Bad-Lieutenant-Port-of-Call-New-Orleans/70118398

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

wormil posted:

They are both cheesy and low budget but Rubber is smugly self aware and has little plot and makes no sense for no reason. I didn't hate it nor enjoy it although it has moments.

This is the perfect summary and represents exactly how I feel. Rubber was okay to have on the TV, but the fact that it knows it's cheesy and nonsensical doesn't make it great.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Better Off Ted is a pretty good show, written well. Thanks for whoever recommended it. Now time to watch Mad Men.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

wormil posted:

Content: The Bad Lieutenant w/ Nicholas Cage is up and I found it entertaining. It's a Herzog crime/drama about a cop that dates a hooker, steals, extorts, snorts coke, pisses off the mob, his bosses and politically connected businessmen while trying to solve several crimes. The plot meanders (intentionally), things get weird when he starts hallucinating, and everything is not answered overtly so that may put some people off.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Bad-Lieutenant-Port-of-Call-New-Orleans/70118398

Bad Lieutenant '09 is incredible because it's just 2 hours of CAGE RAGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhUqdPSt0Bo

It is tonally and thematically the complete opposite of the original Bad Lieutenant and it rules.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

casual poster posted:

Better Off Ted is a pretty good show, written well. Thanks for whoever recommended it. Now time to watch Mad Men.

I'm going to second the Better of Ted recommendation. It's like a smarter/funnier 30 Rock set in a stereotypical evil mega-corporation that makes crazy products that occasionally kill people despite their scientists' best intentions.

I was very sad it was canceled.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Farbtoner posted:

Bad Lieutenant '09 is incredible because it's just 2 hours of CAGE RAGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhUqdPSt0Bo

It is tonally and thematically the complete opposite of the original Bad Lieutenant and it rules.

YOU GOTTA SHOOT HIM AGAIN, SO HIS SOUL STOPS DANCIN!!!

Really is a bizarre movie...and I love that it had absolutely nothing to do with the original Bad Lieutenant other than the director liked the title.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
These might not be that new, but I just watched The Man From Nowhere which was a crazy martial arts revenge kind of movie. The fight sequences were insane, the movie was amazing. Also The Chaser which is a Korean suspense/thriller, it's god drat brutal. Check it out.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

YOU GOTTA SHOOT HIM AGAIN, SO HIS SOUL STOPS DANCIN!!!

Really is a bizarre movie...and I love that it had absolutely nothing to do with the original Bad Lieutenant other than the director liked the title.

This movie is amazing.

Also seconding The Man from Nowhere and The Chaser, and if you're on a Korean kick Mother is really really good.

Also I know it was mentioned before but I Saw the Devil is rad if you can stomach it, because it's very unpleasant.

e: Koreans love their revenge movies and I'm totally ok with that.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Splaa posted:

This movie is amazing.

Also seconding The Man from Nowhere and The Chaser, and if you're on a Korean kick Mother is really really good.

Also I know it was mentioned before but I Saw the Devil is rad if you can stomach it, because it's very unpleasant.

e: Koreans love their revenge movies and I'm totally ok with that.

I'll have to check out the Chaser and Mother. TMfN was great, but I Saw the Devil ends up taking a weird turn when the main villain is let go by the hero and keeps running into other murderers and raping/killing people after that, the movie's lost the tone and mood it spent the first 40 minutes setting up and ends up gory, ridiculous and kind of funny. I'm not sure if that's due to a cultural difference or if that movie is just as weird to its Korean audience.

Oh, and if George Romero's Deadtime Stories ends up in your recommended viewing list, don't loving watch it. It is among the least interesting 76 minutes of video available on Netflix. It makes Sci-Fi original movies look unironically good in comparison.

Bedurndurn has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Jul 28, 2011

benzero
May 25, 2005

Brains for dinner, brains for lunch, brains for breakfast, brains for brunch.
Recent ones that I watched from this thread:

This is England, good stuff. A kid growing up in 1983 joins a group of skins and has to decide between what's right and his support system.

World's Greatest Dad with Robin Williams in a dark comedy about a father who revitalizes a writing career, starting with his son's suicide note after finding him dead due to a masturbation accident..

Blue Velvet weird David Lynch piece, but it's pretty good.

Naked Lunch semi biographical piece on William Burroughs.

God Grew Tired of Us lost boys of Sudan are followed on their new life in the US. AMAZING.

benzero has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Aug 3, 2011

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

benzero posted:

World's Greatest Dad with Robin Williams in a dark comedy about a father who revitalizes a writing career, starting with his son's suicide note after finding him dead due to a masturbation accident...

I thought this movie was bad. I really wanted to like it because I love Robin Williams and Bobcat Goldthwait but the film just seemed poorly done.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Jibo posted:

I thought this movie was bad. I really wanted to like it because I love Robin Williams and Bobcat Goldthwait but the film just seemed poorly done.

I thought the movie was both hilarious and sad, like a good dark comedy should be I suppose. Robin William's performance is great and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie as a whole. It also had a great ending.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I personally would spoiler tag the description of World's Greatest Dad; I was able to get some friends in an Xbox Live Party to watch it without knowing what it was about, and it probably made the experience better for them.

Just warn people it's a dark comedy, and that the first 1/3 of the movie is mostly unfunny setup.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

benzero posted:

This is England, good stuff. A kid growing up in 1983 joins a group of skins and has to decide between what's right and his support system.

This is fantastic - I missed the end, though. Apparently I'm better off for it because it's sad? :smith:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
So we were browsing the catalog looking for something to watch tonight and we ran across RoboGeisha. We ended up watching something else, but I am left with a very important question from the movie's description.

What is a "butt sword?"

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

fosborb posted:

So we were browsing the catalog looking for something to watch tonight and we ran across RoboGeisha. We ended up watching something else, but I am left with a very important question from the movie's description.

What is a "butt sword?"

It's a sword that comes out the butt, duh.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

fosborb posted:

What is a "butt sword?"

The most unorthodox katana wielding method ever. If you're looking for a goofy movie with over the top violence and gore, it's a good movie. Come for the butt sword, stay for the eye gouging shrimp ninjitsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

benzero posted:

Naked Lunch

I can think of at least two things wrong with that title.

The Last Airbender is up. I'm thinking of starting a petition to have it removed. I'd rather it wasn't part of our collective pop culture.

• Locked thread