Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Chasiubao posted:

And they lived happily ever after :3:

Hey guys I have an idea for a game...

Let me guess, you're just looking for coders and artists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Amrosorma posted:

Let me guess, you're just looking for coders and artists?
And UI designers and public relations and marketing and community management and web developers and producers and accountants and...

Most people don't understand the scope of game development, no matter how many times they're shown the process on "Making of" DVDs or in articles.

I deal with folks who think that it's impossible for one studio to work on two games at once without compromising the quality of one of them. This mentality persists even when it's been explained that there's a separate team for each project the studio works on, and the newer team didn't leech anyone from the old one.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

M4rk posted:

I deal with folks who think that it's impossible for one studio to work on two games at once without compromising the quality of one of them. This mentality persists even when it's been explained that there's a separate team for each project the studio works on, and the newer team didn't leech anyone from the old one.
"If they hadn't spent so much time making sure the trees looked pretty maybe they would have been able to include dedicated servers in the box."

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I am not really a twit or whatever yet but I was linked this and it is fantastic:

http://twitter.com/!/petermolydeux

quote:

Want to make our next game appeal to both sexes. For every kill you get a new piece of furniture to decorate your house?

You are a bear but for some reason your oxygen comes from hugging people. Problem is that hugging people breaks their bones. #Poeticgaming

Imagine a sports game that during intervals you need to woo a special lady while also tracking down her killer stalker.

Modern warfare 3. You play as a baby who must keep his father optimistic as he tries to escape his country during an intense war.

Other things I would like to play as are dust, regret as a character, a microwave, carpet, lung, statue, bullet, television and a nose.
It is fascinating/horrifying how many of the things he posts are things I would actually like to see as a game :v:

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

quote:

Want to make our next game appeal to both sexes. For every kill you get a new piece of furniture to decorate your house?

He forgot the hashtag #hellyeahwhitemalegamedesign

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

There's an interview somewhere with the guy who does that, it's a really interesting read.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I just put in an application at Rockstar San Diego. If anybody has the ear of the HR people there I'd really appreciate a recommendation.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

FreakyZoid posted:

There's an interview somewhere with the guy who does that, it's a really interesting read.

http://gamerdork.net/?p=9286 is the one. Kind of hilarious!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

quote:

Is this real? Guessing not, petermolydeux, but... man.

I would totally play the bear hugging game, though. It could be a sequel to Enviro-Bear 2000.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 27, 2011

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

quote:

My wife and I have both joked about how awesome a game like this would be so long as we never ever got caught playing it by anybody outside our apartment.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's fake, but has on occasion been reported as being the comments of the real P-Mol (when the account was "petermolyneax2") even though the account blurb has always stated it was fake.

FreakyZoid posted:

Can someone post this? Rumour has it that it was a guy at a place I was working.

Edit: a game played in pairs where one partner plays an action game and wins furniture/pet/clothing rewards for the other might have something to it.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 27, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's fake, but has on occasion been reported as being the comments of the real P-Mol (when the account was "petermolyneax2") even though the account blurb has always stated it was fake.

Can someone post this? Rumour has it that it was a guy at a place I was working.

A few posts up:

devilmouse posted:

http://gamerdork.net/?p=9286 is the one. Kind of hilarious!

Also one of the tweets quoted in the interview is both hilarious and actually kind of a neat idea: "Why are there always MASSIVE monster bosses in modern games? Would it not be so refreshing to fight a very cunning ant?"

I just picture this fight where a tiny enemy keeps pushing stuff over and setting up big chain reactions in the environment to try to take you out.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

So, I'm being asked to speak at a small gathering of female developers (really just a lunch), on this topic:

- (...) some difficulties being the minority gender
o With fewer women in the industry, that means it’s harder to find women to fill our roles.
o Difficulties being a programmer – having to over-prove yourself in roles not usually filled by women.

... and I suppose I am completely clueless here. I never thought of games development as strongly gendered, just like I don't think of any other professional grouping as strongly gendered. There are few women, but who cares, you show up, be confident, and show you can roll with everyone else. If anything, I get more leery around all-female groupings, since those seem to make a point of being gendered for unclear reasons / general "solidarity."

I could rant about confidence, and not throwing up artificial barriers to socializing with men / we're all just people, and on how the very concept of having a "lady's lunch" speaks to precisely why they're having difficulties, but... eh. I mean I literally just don't think about it, and that seems to work fine, but I can't imagine that's the answer they want to hear.

Any other female devs in here with an idea of how I can speak to this more usefully?

EDIT: On the off chance it isn't clear, I am myself a female dev, just looking for other perspectives more useful than "uh, don't think about it / just bull on ahead."

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 27, 2011

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

Shalinor posted:

So, I'm being asked to speak at a small gathering of female developers (really just a lunch), on this topic:

- (...) some difficulties being the minority gender
o With fewer women in the industry, that means it’s harder to find women to fill our roles.
o Difficulties being a programmer – having to over-prove yourself in roles not usually filled by women.

... and I suppose I am completely clueless here. I never thought of games development as strongly gendered, just like I don't think of any other professional grouping as strongly gendered. There are few women, but who cares, you show up, be confident, and show you can roll with everyone else. If anything, I get more leery around all-female groupings, since those seem to make a point of being gendered for unclear reasons / "solidarity."

I could rant about confidence, and not throwing up artificial barriers to socializing with men / we're all just people, but... eh. I mean I literally just don't think about it, and that seems to work fine, but I can't imagine that's the answer they want to hear.

Any other female devs in here with an idea of how I can speak to this more usefully?

I imagine you'd get better responses from the minority perspectives games thread, but if that's not your groove, this blog deals with this very topic often and would provide you with some pretty great insight:

http://geekfeminism.org/

vvv Being a female dev isn't automatically going to make one an expert on institutional privilege and social issues.

TheDart
Jan 7, 2010

^^ Shalinor didn't ask for experts, but for other female developers who might be able to provide insight from other perspectives. v:shobon:v

There are a lot of female devs on Twitter that you could ask about it, Shalinor -- Brenda Brathwaite (@bbrathwaite) has been a game dev for almost 30 years, and there are people like @truffle who just moved over to Riot from Bioware.

TheDart fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 27, 2011

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Not gaming, but eminently tech-focused, this is an excellent article on Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/07/11/110711fa_fact_auletta

And her Barnard commencement speech is also awesome: http://barnard.edu/headlines/transcript-and-video-speech-sheryl-sandberg-chief-operating-officer-facebook

Please ignore the "pink" contingent of developers who prefer to spend more time talking than making... they're toxic and actively work against any progress that's made unfortunately, despite their good intentions.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I was wondering if anyone here worked in the Las Vegas Area and are aware of any job openings for Illustrators or Designers.

I graduated last year from the UNLV with a BFA in painting and drawing. I've been pretty much doing artistic things for my entire life. I have a strong background in anatomy and art theory. Recently, I ran into a friend who is an art director with a small gaming company. These gaming companies are more in the tune of gambling games, like slot machines. Unfortunately, his place is not hiring anyone. I'm really interested in getting into this field of work where I can draw and make a living off of it. I applied to another smaller gaming company located here in Vegas, I was second choice for hire. It was a pretty heavy disappointment and the closest I'd probably get into getting my foot in the door.

My career future is pretty unsure, I don't really care what I'm doing as long as I get to create things, preferably using my drawing and painting skills on a 2D plane. I'm aware that the digital aspect of my skills needs more work, which I am working on everyday. I would just really like to get a job that uses my skills rather than working at restaurant (which I've been doing for almost ten years, blegh).

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Post your work.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Shalinor posted:

I'm afraid this won't really help you, as my personal experience is pretty much the same as yours. It might be a bit early to tell since I started barely a month ago, but I'm pretty much just another programmer. I don't feel like a minority or excluded.

My co-op 2 years ago was the same.

It probably really depends on the studio, and especially on your own mindset.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka

ceebee posted:

Post your work.

Keep in mind that I am a more "traditional Artist" than anything else. I'm working on transitioning to become more design and computer oriented for a more realistic career choice. Any words of advice and criticism is extremely valuable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50200624@N06/

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Spectral Debt posted:

Keep in mind that I am a more "traditional Artist" than anything else. I'm working on transitioning to become more design and computer oriented for a more realistic career choice. Any words of advice and criticism is extremely valuable.

If you want to make games draw a bunch of characters, equipment, environments, etc, in a consistent style that defines details, color, and form.

look at other concept artist's portfolios and get a better idea of how that's all they do.

Do you hang out on conceptart.org?

Basically, looking at your portfolio right now, it appears you have a decent understanding of anatomy and color theory and can render a human fairly realistically if you choose to do so.

So do so. A lot. Give them capes and guns and a magical hat, and then draw some environments for them to run around in full of objects they can interact with or explode, and then draw the tools and vehicles they will use to interact with these environments.

Alternatively, if you are more interested in the graphic design portion, then consider getting into Interface Design and learn yourself some flash and a little bit of 3d and make mock up interfaces for games, painting over promotional screenshots in photoshop/illustrator/etc

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Spectral Debt posted:

Yeah your work looks like a lot of my friends who came to Gnomon specifically to learn how to cater their skills to concept art for games/movies. I agree with Sigma-X, if you want to be a concept artist for games then practice what everybody else is doing. Where you stand now you're a bit behind in the digital medium but as long as you have your traditional foundations you'll be fine, it's just a matter of learning the tools which is pretty time consuming but it'll be worth it.

It's good that you acknowledged that if you want to work in games/movies you must adapt, a lot of people don't do this and think they can just jump into concept design and make a good living off of it coming from a fine arts background.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Women in video games: Until recently(since I came back), the only women at my studio was me, the lady that does HR and two women in our marketing department. Now we have a new art intern that's female.

One observation is women in this industry can be absolute bitches to other women. During my time away from an actual studio, I did freelance work with another woman on a project and it took all my restraint to not punch her in her smug, fake cheerful face every day. She drove me nuts. Her artwork blows, but since she flirts with everyone and is always fake happy she keeps getting jobs. For some reason, women in this industry seem to like to compete with other women to be the alpha bitch of the studio. It drives me nuts. I don't care what a person's gender is as long as they do their work. It also rubs me the wrong way when women act like total sluts and try to be friends with all the "boys" and bake them cupcakes teehee! I know this paragraph might sound a bit contradictory, but I honestly didn't hate her because she was a woman. I hated her because I couldn't stand her fakeness and how incredibly mean and rude she was to my face. Women seem to do this a lot that I've worked with.

There's also the subtle misogyny, but I'm sure its the same as most industry. They use to make me be the note takers at meetings until they found out I have horrible handwriting. I got a freelance job because it was a project where I would need to know about modern home decorating and since I'm a woman, I should know that stuff!

There's also the issue of maternity leave. I fought my studio over their policies, and lost of course. At the time they were changing their policies, counting me, there were only about 5 women of child bearing age at a company of about 100. It really felt like a personal slight. Some new financial officer came in and made a bunch of changes because they didn't really care about us. I got really offended because the people in charge knew us personally. To be fair, my (male) art director had a meeting with the other women that had issues and talked to the upper level people about our concerns, but none of the cared. The maternity leave changed to 3 months unpaid maximum, if you had PTO, you had to use them up during your maternity leave, and once they were used up, since it was unpaid, you'd actually have to pay them for your health insurance. Thankfully, my art director is pretty understanding and he said if this situation arises, he would be able to work something out with me.

It is completely true about the pay too. I was the lead environment artist on my team. My husband eventually became the lead environment artist on his team. I was a lead on my team a good amount longer than my husband and he was making 5k and it was going to be bumped up to 7k more than me before we got laid off. 7k sounds trivial, but its not when you're trying to pay off student loans.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting. I'll think about it more. The moral of the story is "Stop being bitches! I'm not in competition with you."

Alterian fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 28, 2011

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
It's funny, I started drawing with that criteria; superheroes and video game characters doing poo poo and when I got into fine art I abandoned that style to participate in a "higher" art form. Sadly, paintings take a long rear end time and don't necessarily sell that often, definitely not enough to make a living off of.

Thanks for the advice, I will work towards it and post at a later time for more critiques.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
At least now I can draw cool, fun poo poo instead of trying to out art everyone.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah that's why I never liked the fine art scene.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
The only [sane] people who like the fine art scene are the people rolling in it for fun, or folks who have too much money and too little common sense.

This is why I'd pay $10,000 for a comic artist to draw something awesome instead of some downtown studio nut to slap paint on a wall and call it art.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

M4rk posted:

The only [sane] people who like the fine art scene are the people rolling in it for fun, or folks who have too much money and too little common sense.

This is why I'd pay $10,000 for a comic artist to draw something awesome instead of some downtown studio nut to slap paint on a wall and call it art.

When it comes to fine art, there's really two different kinds of artists involved: There's the true artists that really are so far ahead of their time that what they're doing seems like nonsense for years until people finally understand it, and there's the bullshit artists that are just doing nonsense and trying to pass it off as being more like the first group to people who don't know enough to tell the difference.

Naturally, the second group is much more common than the first.

If you were to commission something though, then yeah, I'd also much rather get a commercial artist to do something for me. A private fine art commission is pretty worthless from an artistic perspective because it's being created solely for the money rather than to express any sort of emotion or message. They're only actually worth a bunch of money when they have a famous name attached to it, and then it's really just paying for the "brand" rather than the art.

(I suppose this is a bit of a tangent for the video game jobs thread, but I think that artists working in game development don't get the respect they deserve, just because they aren't making "art" doesn't mean they aren't talented)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Alterian posted:

...and had me help with art. ;-*

If you guys really met this way and got married because of it, that would be the most adorably nerdy thing ever.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Vino posted:

I just put in an application at Rockstar San Diego. If anybody has the ear of the HR people there I'd really appreciate a recommendation.
How would that work? "Hey Sarah, if you see an application from Vino from the Something Awful forums you should definitely look in to it".

Which job did you apply for?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Shalinor: I sent you a PM with a contact for the female developers thing.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

GetWellGamers posted:

If you guys really met this way and got married because of it, that would be the most adorably nerdy thing ever.

Actually the way we met is much more loving nerdy than that. I think if I told how we met, Imajus would kill me. We were internet friends in the 90's when we were both in high school though!

Edit: I remember their justification for changing the maternity leave. "Women always quit their jobs after they have a baby so why should we pay for their maternity leave?" :haw:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Alterian posted:

Edit: I remember their justification for changing the maternity leave. "Women always quit their jobs after they have a baby so why should we pay for their maternity leave?" :haw:

that's terrible :smith:

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
You dang women and your biological processes!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
to all the industry hopefuls reading this thread:

Do not be this woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNgjecJY76g&feature=channel_video_title

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Do not be this woman:
If you're going to do this, at least do not claim ownership of the terrible art or writing that went into such a thing. Or you know, make this, but really kick rear end in the process and have it show off actual talent.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

If you're going to do this, at least do not claim ownership of the terrible art or writing that went into such a thing. Or you know, make this, but really kick rear end in the process and have it show off actual talent.

singing youtube job-begging is not new and is terrible, don't do it ever, thanks.

These are way better than Erin's, and still terrible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnXi-8EmoQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4b1EnYDCR4&NR=1

Guess what job he didn't get?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

Do not be this woman:

No Flash on a Windows Phone. Is that the Valve please hire me girl that's making the rounds?

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

FreakyZoid posted:

How would that work? "Hey Sarah, if you see an application from Vino from the Something Awful forums you should definitely look in to it".

Which job did you apply for?

Haha I didn't think of that. Presumably they'd know/ask for my name.

I'm have qualifications for a lot of the current programming positions they have up, so I applied to the one that I thought would be the most interesting, gameplay programmer. Maybe if I don't hear from them by later I'll try network programmer or one of the other ones.

It's funny, they have a bunch of programming positions available and then a concept artist, I'm pretty sure they're starting a new project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

No Flash on a Windows Phone. Is that the Valve please hire me girl that's making the rounds?

Yes, it is. The other ones I linked were Craig and his ukelele singing "please hire me" covers to Tim Shaefer.