Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Any good ROM recommendations for the Droid 2 (regular, not global)? I've been running Fission for the last several months, and it performs just fine, but I'm growing tired of it and I'm not even sure if it's even being updated/supported anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Ozmodiar posted:

Yes, seriously.

"Rooting" as a whole, is generally all lumped together. In reality, "rooting" is simply gaining root-access to your OS.

In order to install a custom ROM, you need to be able to unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery.

Since the process for most phones is root->unlock bootloader->flash custom recovery->flash rooted ROM/custom ROM, people just refer to the whole thing as "rooting".

Yeah, that's definitely what I have difficulty remembering.

I've spent half the day reading up on various ROMs, kernels and whatnot and have decided to stick with stock for now, as none of the custom ROMs look especially bug-free right now. I'd like to flash a custom kernel which (in addition to root and CWM) provides BLN support to use the capacitive backlit buttons as notification LEDs... however I can't find any for the Galaxy S2 which support this yet. I think I'll just go CF-Root. But I'll wait until my carrier's stock kernel is available in case I ever need to go back.

In short, I'm doing nothing for now, after all that research. Though at least I'm better educated about the state of SGS2 development! :)

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

It's not open source. This along with the use of code from cyanogen without giving credit are my two biggest criticisms of it.

They did give credit to Cyanogen, ages back, when the collaboration was first in place. How do you think Cyanogen got FM Radio working in their ROMs? It was ported from MIUI in exchange for other code sharing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A quick update on the new G2x baseband on CM7:

I didn't have a lot of trouble installing the update and moving to CM7 but it was time-consuming. Turned out I did have a refurb P999DWP model so I couldn't use the LG Updater and instead had to use the KDZ pusher but once that got done I plunged on ahead and set up CM7. My preliminary impressions of the GPS situation though are positive. Got a lock nearly immediately on a cold start which surprised me. She uses GPS constantly so we'll know soon enough whether it lasts but so far things are looking good. Honestly even if it doesn't eliminate sleep comas or fix the battery meter, if the GPS works she'll likely be happy. Edit: Well that didn't take long to see if sleep comas would return. :(

I didn't experience any APN issues like I thought I would even after two restarts.

One problem I did have and don't know what to do about : She has six apps downloaded from the Amazon App Store that didn't work and said she needed to login. She did and it told her she wasn't authorized to play any of the apps. Going to Amazon's site it showed her as having purchased no apps. She's emailed support with the order numbers but it strikes me as odd that the apps themselves got disassociated with her account. Now maybe that's because I restored them with Titanium from a different ROM (I've only been on CM7 since the App Store came out) but I've never read that as being an issue. Since they aren't on the site under her account I'm guessing there's nothing I can do to solve the problem from my end, I'm just hoping that however Amazon fixes it she can keep her data.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 28, 2011

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

shyguy posted:

Any good ROM recommendations for the Droid 2 (regular, not global)? I've been running Fission for the last several months, and it performs just fine, but I'm growing tired of it and I'm not even sure if it's even being updated/supported anymore.

Just rooted and installed Apex on a friend of mines. I've run Apex on my X before and it was nice. They've been enjoying it quite a bit so take that for what it's worth.

There are plenty of good ones though that are updated pretty regularly. Including, Apex (AOSP Gingerbread), Liberty (AOSP-Blur Gingerbread), AOSP Liberty (AOSP only Gingerbread), and even CM7.

You can look at them all here though:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-roms/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Neurophonic posted:

They did give credit to Cyanogen, ages back, when the collaboration was first in place. How do you think Cyanogen got FM Radio working in their ROMs? It was ported from MIUI in exchange for other code sharing.

This was simply what I read from a cyanogen developer. I didn't see any reason to doubt him.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

jassa posted:

I'd like to flash a custom kernel which (in addition to root and CWM) provides BLN support to use the capacitive backlit buttons as notification LEDs... however I can't find any for the Galaxy S2 which support this yet. I think I'll just go CF-Root. But I'll wait until my carrier's stock kernel is available in case I ever need to go back.

There is an app on the market place called 'Noled' which does what you want in a slightly different way. It's very customisable and I highly recommend it.

I would flash cf root asap just so you then have root access and are able to back up app data. When you eventually go to a custom rom you will have to wipe everything losing any game progress.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Mega Comrade posted:

There is an app on the market place called 'Noled' which does what you want in a slightly different way. It's very customisable and I highly recommend it.

I would flash cf root asap just so you then have root access and are able to back up app data. When you eventually go to a custom rom you will have to wipe everything losing any game progress.

Yeah, I'm trying NoLED but it's not a great solution - it doesn't play nice with my lockscreen, and for some inane reason I now have to press the back button to wake my phone when there's a pending notification onscreen. Plus I just discovered it notifies you of every new Google Talk IM, not just the first message in a conversation (like the app does). I'm also dubious about it's effect on battery life.

Honestly I have no strong need for CF-Root right now and I'm not even sure it's the kernel I want. If something with BLN is available when my carrier's stock kernel is eventually released, I'll probably go with that instead.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I don't remember who was saying they wish they could get this feature running, but CM7DX's notification widget sleep button will in fact lock and turn off the screen.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

rotaryfun posted:

I don't remember who was saying they wish they could get this feature running, but CM7DX's notification widget sleep button will in fact lock and turn off the screen.

That was me and broken-iPod-avatar guy. Have they moved CM7DX to the GB kernel yet? I was getting soft-reboots on the Froyo kernel and haven't had a single one since moving to GB.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

jassa posted:

Yeah, I'm trying NoLED but it's not a great solution - it doesn't play nice with my lockscreen, and for some inane reason I now have to press the back button to wake my phone when there's a pending notification onscreen. Plus I just discovered it notifies you of every new Google Talk IM, not just the first message in a conversation (like the app does). I'm also dubious about it's effect on battery life.

It's effect on battery life is pretty much nothing. As for pressing the screen button, no way around it, as far as the phone is concerned the screen is on so pressing that switches it off. I just press the home button, works fine. I use the default cm7 lockscreen and have no issues.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That was me and broken-iPod-avatar guy. Have they moved CM7DX to the GB kernel yet? I was getting soft-reboots on the Froyo kernel and haven't had a single one since moving to GB.

Cvpcs said he'd like to move CM4DX to the GB kernel but it isn't top priority so it'll probably be awhile. I'm waiting for that as well.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Broken iPod Avatar Guy reporting in. Yeah that's still a feature I sorely miss. I also won't install CM7 until it's based of the GB kernal, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermopyle posted:

This is kind of a nooby question...but will I get the new Market OTA since I'm runing CM7, or will I need to manually download the apk? Not sure exactly how the Market update relates to OTA carrier OS updates, which I realize I wouldn't get.

Got the new Market pushed to me today...

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Infuse news: There's now a beta Gingerbread ROM for this phone if you're interested. Still no ext4/voodoo capable kernel but it was a very fast turnaround after the Canadian Infuse 2.3 source was posted. Since it's a non-US source the ROM also has Kies Air which is cool - wireless sync for Galaxy S phones.

Also 2 handsets have been donated to the CM7 team and LinuxBozo has shown an early alpha of CyanogenMod 7.1.0 running on the phone.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 28, 2011

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

I got it pushed to me yesterday on CM7; but it happened after I updated to the newest nightly, so I didn't think it was an OTA heh.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Still on the froyo kernel. Not sure why but I've never been subject to the soft-reboots. Although folks have mentioned that with the latest nightlies they've either stopped all together or slowed down. The latest nightly, 42, is running android 2.3.5... so that's exciting.

Thermopyle posted:

deong posted:

I got it pushed to me yesterday on CM7; but it happened after I updated to the newest nightly, so I didn't think it was an OTA heh.

What phones do you guys have... Just installed the latest CM7DX nightly but have been wondering how that was going to be pushed out.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 28, 2011

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
So are they calling it CM7DX now or is that how everyone just prefers to refer to it?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

jfreder posted:

So are they calling it CM7DX now or is that how everyone just prefers to refer to it?

I'm assuming he means CM7 for the Droid X.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I'm assuming he means CM7 for the Droid X.

Right but cvpcs called it CM4DX when I paid attention but now I see most people switch the 4 to 7 and was curious.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Haha that's actually my fault for me anyway... I just realized that it's CM4DX and not the other way around... For whatever reason, I've always read it as CM7DX.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've got a G2 running CM7.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rotaryfun posted:

What phones do you guys have... Just installed the latest CM7DX nightly but have been wondering how that was going to be pushed out.

I'm on an N1 running cm7 rc1.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Did it show up as a system update or was it from the market?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
It just happened for me. I didnt see any notification that it was updating.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The market silently updates itself.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

big mean giraffe posted:

The market silently updates itself.

As if by an invisible hand.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Does anyone have the notification Pew Pew they could link?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Does anyone have the notification Pew Pew they could link?

I don't understand this sentence or I would help you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't understand this sentence or I would help you.
There's a notification ringtone in stock Froyo called Pew Pew that I failed to extract from the /system/media/audio/notifications before I put CM7 on her G2x yesterday morning that she'd like back. I was hoping someone could copy it from their phone if they have it and throw it on Dropbox for me.

It's probably called Pew_Pew.ogg

It's not in the Gingerbread OTA and I can't seem to extract files from nandroids as easily as I hoped I could.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Can't you just find some random froyo rom and extract it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Web Jew.0 posted:

Can't you just find some random froyo rom and extract it?
Not while I was working I couldn't but when I get home in an hour or so that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I was just hoping someone would have it on their phone and could just copy it to Dropbox and paste me a link in the meantime.

Edit: Downloaded a ROM based on the Froyo release but didn't see that ringtone. I think I might be on a wild goose chase.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 29, 2011

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So took advantage of the Droid 3 Buy One Get One Free offer for myself and the wife, come to find out that the phone is not rootable yet. :(

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Koirhor posted:

So took advantage of the Droid 3 Buy One Get One Free offer for myself and the wife, come to find out that the phone is not rootable yet. :(

Yup, it's got a locked bootloader. It may be a while for you.

XDA already has an alpha build of a 3.2 custom ROM for the Transformer, based on the Prime! roms.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1191387

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

There's a notification ringtone in stock Froyo called Pew Pew that I failed to extract from the /system/media/audio/notifications before I put CM7 on her G2x yesterday morning that she'd like back. I was hoping someone could copy it from their phone if they have it and throw it on Dropbox for me.

It's probably called Pew_Pew.ogg

It's not in the Gingerbread OTA and I can't seem to extract files from nandroids as easily as I hoped I could.

Ah, see Pew Pew's also some game for Android so I was hella confused.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Edit: Downloaded a ROM based on the Froyo release but didn't see that ringtone. I think I might be on a wild goose chase.
All the AOSP stock sounds/ringtones are available here, but I don't see that one listed. It must be a custom LG thing.

big mean giraffe posted:

Ah, see Pew Pew's also some game for Android so I was hella confused.
This. Also, you could grab the soundtrack from PewPew's .apk and use that as your ringtone. It's pretty :krad:.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Sounds like AlphaRev and Unrevoked are going to releasing their rooting tool today: http://revolutionary.io/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone know where to find the setting in CM7 to use the power button to hang up calls? I turned it on thinking it'd be great, but I've hung up on multiple calls when trying to turn the screen on while on a call... and now I can't find the drat setting to disable it..

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

deong posted:

Does anyone know where to find the setting in CM7 to use the power button to hang up calls? I turned it on thinking it'd be great, but I've hung up on multiple calls when trying to turn the screen on while on a call... and now I can't find the drat setting to disable it..

I think it's under Call Settings and not CM Settings.

Edit:

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Sounds like AlphaRev and Unrevoked are going to releasing their rooting tool today: http://revolutionary.io/
About loving time. The exclusivity circle in Android aftermarket development is like high school all over again. I shouldn't be surprised though because I'm willing to bet more than half of them are still in high school.
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I think it's under Call Settings and not CM Settings.

That was my assumption, but I'm not seeing it there nor under CM's input. I feel retarded :downs:..