Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Well this is something I haven't heard anything about at all. We may be getting new uniforms next summer? A set of combats that dries quickly would be pretty drat awesome, I must say. However, I don't like the idea of a mandarin collar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Barrakketh posted:

Well this is something I haven't heard anything about at all. We may be getting new uniforms next summer? A set of combats that dries quickly would be pretty drat awesome, I must say. However, I don't like the idea of a mandarin collar.

I can't wait to find ways to wear it differently and get jacked up for it.

edit: Also, pads in your knees are a giant pain in the rear end and make your knees really sweaty. And what the hell is wrong with these things:

acumen fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 20, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

acumen posted:

I can't wait to find ways to wear it differently and get jacked up for it.

edit: Also, pads in your knees are a giant pain in the rear end and make your knees really sweaty. And what the hell is wrong with these things:

Well the idea behind the new icu is that it isn't a complete revamp, just an incremental improvement.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

mdivi posted:

One of those kit bags was mine if it was in T1, and it was filled with really ugly civilian clothes. Some dirty underwear too!

Dam wouldn't be a good haul, I could tell it was civi cloths cause they were not stuffed full.

edit: It was T1 and an early morning flight from Hali to Toronto.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
5 days, chicks and dudes. Envy me.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Where did you guys find pictures of the new combats? I've heard they have pockets that are zippered at the chest rather than buttoned, aswell.

Morristron posted:

5 days of what? Leave? If so I've been off since July 9th and don't have to go back to work until the 8th of August. Also I still have 9 annual left :whatup:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Where did you guys find pictures of the new combats? I've heard they have pockets that are zippered at the chest rather than buttoned, aswell.

This is a horrible idea. Every CADPAT piece of clothing I own that has a zipper has a busted zipper.

Also how am I going to not do up my bottom button :confused:

edit: VVV err right, misread what you said. I was mainly referring to the front zipper on the tac vest and smocks that we have.

acumen fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 22, 2011

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

acumen posted:

This is a horrible idea. Every CADPAT piece of clothing I own that has a zipper has a busted zipper.

I've gone through quite a few sets of combats due to wear and tear and I have yet once to find a set where a zipper doesn't work. Maybe you packed on too much military muscle, o snap

Edit: by zippered at the chest, I meant instead of 2 button pockets, they are two zippered pockets

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Morristron posted:

I challenge you to beat my timing of 30 minutes to do all your outs, including kit return, and escape the base on the very last day.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

acumen posted:

Hell to pay if they don't put in a second zipper on the bottom to allow this. Anyways its about time, I've always been jealous of the ACU and their mandarin collars so you can pop them up under the frag vest.

Man, brown boots, useable uniforms, useable raingear... I've only been in (and the reserves to boot) for 5 years and I still remember my old Mk3s, and non-CADPAT winter jacket, rubber rainjacket and lovely rucksack. Am I gonna be one of those fucks who bitches to new troops about how good they have it? Im only an infantry corporal with no tour for godsakes.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

swagger like us posted:

Man, brown boots, useable uniforms, useable raingear... I've only been in (and the reserves to boot) for 5 years and I still remember my old Mk3s, and non-CADPAT winter jacket, rubber rainjacket and lovely rucksack. Am I gonna be one of those fucks who bitches to new troops about how good they have it? Im only an infantry corporal with no tour for godsakes.

I have all of those except the Mk3s because they didn't have any in my size when I came in and had to order in the GPs.

So, that's a no.

(Res Sigop Pte :negative: )

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

poo poo, I asked for Mk. 3s, they are hella comfy. Which reminds me, I have to get mine resoled and fix some of the lace holes. They chew through laces like they are free from the battery qm or something.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The new rucksack is a loving nightmare. gently caress that poo poo.

I have the acquisitions powerpoint on my drive at work. I'll take some of the slides tomorrow and post them here as screenshots or something when I get off work.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

The new rucksack is a loving nightmare. gently caress that poo poo.

I have the acquisitions powerpoint on my drive at work. I'll take some of the slides tomorrow and post them here as screenshots or something when I get off work.

By new rucks, do you mean the cadpat ruck or the basic/dp1/support trade issue ruck? Because the cadpat one is pretty awesome if you don't wear a frag vest

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Because the cadpat one is pretty awesome if you don't wear a frag vest

Really? It's essentially one gigantic pouch that makes it a nightmare for retrieving equipment/kit from inside it and the stipulation of not wearing a frag vest makes it an immensely horrible idea (since we're in the army and we wear armour).

Jump rucks are the greatest way of strapping a house to your spine and the army is stupid for phasing them out. Also the new PDB is a great idea for exercises where you can have someone pick up your 30lb rucksack bag but if you have to continue humping it around after an insertion have fun.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

acumen posted:

Really? It's essentially one gigantic pouch that makes it a nightmare for retrieving equipment/kit from inside it and the stipulation of not wearing a frag vest makes it an immensely horrible idea (since we're in the army and we wear armour).

Jump rucks are the greatest way of strapping a house to your spine and the army is stupid for phasing them out. Also the new PDB is a great idea for exercises where you can have someone pick up your 30lb rucksack bag but if you have to continue humping it around after an insertion have fun.

Well, with the frag vest on it just becomes a little less comfortable because the metal rods you mold to your back just kind of become a little useless. The best way to pack it is to roll your poo poo up into tubelike articles of clothing. and stick them in the same way you'd put cans of beer in a cooler. It's pretty easy and you can fit a lot of poo poo in there

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Well, with the frag vest on it just becomes a little less comfortable because the metal rods you mold to your back just kind of become a little useless. The best way to pack it is to roll your poo poo up into tubelike articles of clothing. and stick them in the same way you'd put cans of beer in a cooler. It's pretty easy and you can fit a lot of poo poo in there

I guess I should have clarified that it's terrible for my job. I see you're arty, and I haven't worked with you guys much outside of FOOs/FACs, so I don't know what you guys usually carry. My ruck usually has several night observation devices, various types of batteries for each of them (and radio batteries, lots of radio batteries), cables/wires/antennae, smoke grenades and other necessary-readily-accessible items like headlamps, signal panels, etc., extra ammunition, food, water, sleeping/warm kit, and occasionally another rifle. Having all that just jammed into one giant pouch is ludicrous, and even with additional pouches on the outside to separate things, it makes the main compartment a lot smaller and needing to be filled by things like uncompressed sleeping bags, which affects the balance of the whole thing.

You're right, you can fit a lot of poo poo in there (I can fit in one if my legs hang out the bottom giant flap thing), but it's incredibly inefficient as a patrolling bag for light infantry.

I recall hearing something about a new rucksack sometime ago, and maybe that's what tuyop is talking about. I'm sure it'll be crap again, but it can't be much worse than the CADPAT abominations we have now.

Then again I don't know why I care so much, I'm out in 8 days :c00lbert:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Yea we mainly keep a couple day's clothes other than that, our kit carries us, we don't carry our kit. Unless it's dismounted mortars, then it's a piece of the 88mm mortar, clothes, a tripack, extra ammo, food and if you're lucky enough a radio too. But other than that our trucks carry most of our poo poo, so we don't have to

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yes I'm talking about the POS 80L cadpat monstrosity.
  • It weighs 17 pounds on its own. 17. I've gone on 8 day exes where my entire pack weighs 17 pounds before ammo and serialized kit.

• Its sizing/fitting measures are useless with a flak jacket with plates in it.

• It's an 80L tube with straps.

• The compression bag valise thing is retarded and takes forever to pack. Imagine bugging out of a patrol base using that thing.

• The distance from your back to the outside of the pack is terrible given the compression method that they use. There's flexion between the side of the ruck on your back and the outside of the ruck which is pretty much the worst thing ever when you're marching.

• The modular design is retarded.

• Who needs to store an air mattress in a balanced manner?
Good things:
  • Tons of weight distribution transfer straps.

• Very comfortable without armour.

• Ability to carry tons of stuff.

• Integration of modern pack technology into military kit.

• At least it has a modular design!
I got mine a couple of years ago and used it once on a ruckmarch. I went out a few hours later and bought an ALICE frame with bag for 30 bucks. The ALICE frame is much better.

Also, sorry, I was busy today and didn't get to grabbing screens from the powerpoint. I'll do it tomorrow.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

What would be cool for a ruck is something like Kifaru's range of ultra-light rucks. A 85 litres modular ruck that weighs 2 lbs? Yes, please.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

So there you go. I'll attach the PowerPoint at some point if you think it's a good idea. It's not classified or anything.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
That "Mandarin collar" or whatever actually looks sorta cool.

There's way too much velcro on those combats though. I really hope they aren't trying to model them after the American uniforms; if I have to wear various unit patches and poo poo I'm going to be pissed.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Personally I think those look wicked. If they are based off of the American uniforms, it will definitely be incentive for the fatties to loose weight because they will look terrible. Also with the tiny little rank spot, there is definitely no room for the unit name on there, so there might be unit patches.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I uploaded the whole powerpoint.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l53e18bhb23lqsd

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

acumen posted:

That "Mandarin collar" or whatever actually looks sorta cool.

There's way too much velcro on those combats though. I really hope they aren't trying to model them after the American uniforms; if I have to wear various unit patches and poo poo I'm going to be pissed.

More room for morale patches, sounds good to me! Anyways, Im actually surprised that this thing is in the works. Colour me impressed. About time we got rid of the old FN mag pouches that looked like poo poo and were annoyingly useless in the field. Can anyone explain to me what's going on with the rolled up sleeve thing though?

Anyways, great, we're getting rid of "gentleman" based uniforms, so when are we getting rid of the beret? :)

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 28, 2011

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

The Ballcap headdress is the greatest thing ever and I'm very glad I will never ever have to wear a Beret again.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

swagger like us posted:

Anyways, great, we're getting rid of "gentleman" based uniforms, so when are we getting rid of the beret? :)

Berets are the bee's knees. Be careful what you wish for.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Field caps all day every day

Am I the only human being alive that actually preferred the old style webbing over the tac vest? I didn't really like the tac vest at all.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

MA-Horus posted:

Field caps all day every day

Am I the only human being alive that actually preferred the old style webbing over the tac vest? I didn't really like the tac vest at all.

The tac vest is pretty worthless. Supposedly, a molle version is under trials as we speak, but I'm sure they'll find a way to gently caress it up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It would be great to see the army abandon its lovely proprietary "daisy chain" modular system and get a modular tac vest. I'm sorry. But I don't have the same pocket needs as a rifleman or log o or whatever.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
It strikes me I should probably be posting in this thread.

Anybody here going to CFSAC?

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

CADPAT posted:

I'm not, but tell us about it.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
I haven't participated yet, but basically it's the CF Small Arms Competition, hosted this year at Connaught Ranges in Ottawa.

Basically teams across Canada are assembled to shooting and compete in a variety of different challenges where the winners are awarded many prizes among them, the Queen's Medal.

I'll dig up more details, but basically challenges include a 500m rundown, obstacle course, CASEVAC drills among other things all while shooting stuff. The winner is determined by time and targets hit and ties are broken by remaining rounds.

e:

There's also an official site, but because the Gov't and especially the military suck at websites, it's pretty broken and lacking information.

Official site: http://armyapp.forces.gc.ca/CAC/default-eng.asp

Here's an article: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/commun/ml-fe/article-eng.asp?id=4304

quote:

Each year in September, some of the top shots from throughout the CF and Canada, and around the world, gather for the CF Small Arms Competition (CFSAC) at Connaught Range and Primary Training Centre (CRPTC) in Ottawa.

Take Corporal Jason Kennedy, of 12 Application Management Services, Shearwater, for example. In 2007, he competed as a first-time member of the Maritime Forces Atlantic Combat Shooting Team – and took home numerous awards for his results in pistol and rifle matches. “I would recommend CFSAC,” he says, “to any soldier who has the ability to train with a team and the desire to shoot, regardless of their prior experience. If they come to CFSAC, they will be competitive and they will not regret it.”

Not all first-time competitors are that successful, but CFSAC offers the international-level competition that encourages excellence. CFSAC attracts shooters from the Regular Force, the Primary Reserve, the Canadian Rangers, and the RCMP – representatives from all areas, branches and trades compete together on equal footing. The highly reputed competition also attracts shooters from forces from around the world – more than 130 participants took part in CFSAC 2007. Early forecasts predict this number will rise to between 250 and 300 participants in 2008.

CF competitors vie for the coveted Queen’s Medal for Champion Shot, awarded annually to the top CF Reserve and Regular Force shooters, and the chance to represent Canada in prestigious international competitions such as Bisley, in the UK, and the Skill at Arms Meetings in Australia, the UK and the US The aim of CFSAC is to increase operational effectiveness by encouraging and developing advanced marksmanship skills within all components of the CF. Competitors return to their units eager to share their experience, and so they contribute to the development of advanced marksmanship skills within their units and across the CF.

“Musketry is a core business for men and women in the CF,” says CF Patron of Shooting Major-General Stuart Beare, Commander Land Force Doctrine and Training System (LFDTS). “What we do in training impacts operations. As we see in operations today, we’re actually taking good old-fashioned musketry and using it in an operational context. Having things like CFSAC to raise the bar for our men and women across the Forces and provide a way to pull the Forces as a whole into better musketry – that’s a good thing.”

Skill at arms competitions are designed as advanced marksmanship enablers, and CFSAC is revised annually to reflect the current operational environment. Over the course of the five-day competition, shooters take part in a wide variety of team and individual events.

CADPAT fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 28, 2011

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Flanker posted:

The tac vest is pretty worthless. Supposedly, a molle version is under trials as we speak, but I'm sure they'll find a way to gently caress it up.

I saw their prototypes or whatever a year or two ago. They actually look pretty good (albeit not nearly as customized and efficient as self-bought stuff); the unit will issue you your vest and several standard pouches, and then depending on your role (C9, Pl Comd, M203, etc.) you'll be issued other various pouches to accommodate your job. I still would prefer to use my own right, but these were definitely a huge step up from our current tac vest.

CADPAT posted:

I really wish I could have gone this year, but my "retirement leave" from the reg force is during August, CFSAC's usual training time. Our team just got back from the Bisley shoot after performing very well last year in Connaught, and although it's a hell of a time training, it's a really good experience.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
I've never even heard of CFSAC or even had any idea what a gun camp was after 5 years in the regforce infantry (aside from a gun camp being mentionned once in IPSWQ followed by "we don't do that much anymore").

Got to the reserves and fired more live rounds in this one summer than the last 3 years in the regforce.

LFWA why you no like shooting? :negative:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I did the CFSAC once, except I was on the support side in a Class B contract. best thing was that because it was in Ottawa, I got to go home every night and sleep there instead of the stinky humid tents that we had to assemble times infinity. At least this year the plumbing works and it won't have poo poo filled sitting in the blazing sun and high heat that was the year I was there.

I had a freaking sweet job, I basically spent my days sitting on my rear end playing Axis & Allies, riding a bike to collect the score cards, and if we had a ton of them helped input them into the computer to print out and put on the board.

I'm still loving pissed that when we all got the chance to fire the Brit guns our group couldn't because we had last minute scores to complete. They should've put us at the loving front of the line so we could have some fun instead of missing a once in a lifetime opportunity. Fuckers. :argh:

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 28, 2011

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

For a reservist in 34 Brigade who doesn't want to be a kitchen bitch at Vimy or parade in Ottawa all summer, CFSAC is the way to go if you can make the cut.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Back to the new uniform thing, I hope we get those kickass hats that Americans get too, looks so much sharper than 30 people all with abysmal berets

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

No poo poo. Berets aren't bad but the caubeens, glengarry bonnets, and all that other silly poo poo reserve regiments wear instead of berets is incredibly retarded. Either way a hat that isn't some anachronistic bit of pomp would be much more appropriate with combats.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lassitude posted:

No poo poo. Berets aren't bad but the caubeens, glengarry bonnets, and all that other silly poo poo reserve regiments wear instead of berets is incredibly retarded. Either way a hat that isn't some anachronistic bit of pomp would be much more appropriate with combats.

Oh God, those things are loving hideous. Also where the gently caress would you put it when you're not wearing it. I always laugh when I see people wearing them.