Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Sporadic posted:

Anybody know what the value of The Third Man Criterion (with new and old case) is? I need some cash and I'm not really attached to the movie so I don't mind selling it but looking at eBay, it has sold for $50 and it has also sold for $86

About ten bucks cheaper than the cheapest version available on Amazon. If you actually want to sell it, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'd probably be willing to buy it for like $60!

Slavman
Jun 11, 2011

I'd say something like this:

Old: ± $25,-
New: ± $40,-
Blu: ± $60,-

But the blu can probably sold for more if you try.

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

Sporadic posted:

Anybody know what the value of The Third Man Criterion (with new and old case) is? I need some cash and I'm not really attached to the movie so I don't mind selling it but looking at eBay, it has sold for $50 and it has also sold for $86

Closer to $86 and up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Price drops! (and if you already pre-ordered, Amazon should lower your price automatically)

Sporadic posted:

A bunch of cheap Lionsgate preorders just popped up on Amazon.

Mimic: The Director's Cut (plus digital copy) - $13.99 $9.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005BQTUVI

Life Is Beautiful - $10.99 $10.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0033AI48Y

Cinema Paradiso - $10.99 $10.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0033PQUXA

Sporadic posted:

A&E is releasing Farscape: The Complete Series on November 15th. No other news yet besides that it will be on 20 disc

$139.99 $124.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005CXOG8M

-----

Sounds like the price is all over the place for The Third Man Criterion. Guess I'll shoot for the stars and see if anybody bites.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 25, 2011

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Just wish to say that Rango on Blu-Ray loving kicks rear end. My God, the attention to detail in this film is staggering. I'm becoming convinced that it's a masterpiece.

Oh, and just FYI: Play.com are having a two for £15 sale on Blu-Rays, and if you do a little digging there are some great bargains. I actually have to force myself not to read lest my lack of funds fractures my fragile sanity: http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/0-/Search.html?searchtype=BLU&searchsource=2&searchstring=2bl3415

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Adrianics posted:

Oh, and just FYI: Play.com are having a two for £15 sale on Blu-Rays, and if you do a little digging there are some great bargains. I actually have to force myself not to read lest my lack of funds fractures my fragile sanity: http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/0-/Search.html?searchtype=BLU&searchsource=2&searchstring=2bl3415

Thanks for this! I've been wanting to have an impulse buy on some Blu-rays so I went and :gay: it up with Milk and I Love You Phillip Morris

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Adrianics posted:

Just wish to say that Rango on Blu-Ray loving kicks rear end. My God, the attention to detail in this film is staggering. I'm becoming convinced that it's a masterpiece.

God I hope Amazon gets it up to me here soon this week.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thought Rango looked stunning in the theater, enjoyed it too... just not sure if it was to the degree to pick it up on blu.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New preorders. Both are $13.99 and coming out October 4, 2011. Dead Alive from Lionsgate. Pee Wee's Big Adventure from Warner.

Dead Alive http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005DCJ1A0

Pee Wee's Big Adventure http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B005DZ35TU

quote:

Commentary by Paul Reubens and Tim Burton
Additional scenes
Production sketches and storyboards
Music-only track with commentary by Danny Elfman
Theatrical trailer

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WOW! The behind the scenes for Rango are AMAZING. You learn so much and tons of great interviews. Loved it!

What a perfect movie.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The collectible Ultimate boxset of Woodstock dropped down to $25.99 at Amazon. Not bad if you like that type of stuff.

quote:

In addition to the mammoth 224-minute cut of the film, the Blu-ray edition of Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music comes packaged in an elaborate 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition Box, includes a slew of goodies, and boasts a generous collection of regular and exclusive special features. The bundle itself is both attractive and sturdy (albeit a bit complicated when you first dig in): after you disregard the plastic retail sleeve, the faux-deerskin shell (with removable iron-on patch) is a nostalgic sight to behold. From there, you'll find a lightweight box tucked snuggly inside that houses a standard-sized Blu-ray case, a weighty lenticular lucite display piece, a small 60-page reprint of an issue of LIFE Magazine, a concert fact sheet, reproductions of handwritten notes, a three-day ticket, and a handy envelope to hold it all together. The box will appeal to enthusiasts who have plenty of room on their shelves and casual fans interested in shedding the set's excess baggage in favor of the standard Blu-ray case buried inside.

(...)

The bonuses on Amazon's disc include:

Grateful Dead: Mama Tired
Jefferson Airplane: Volunteers
Country Joe & the Fish: Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B001NXDSLG

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 27, 2011

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

Sporadic posted:

The bonuses on Amazon's disc include:

Grateful Dead: Mama Tired

Man, I'd get that bonus disc just to hear "Mama Tired".

I turned 21 in prison, doin' life without parole.
No one could steer me right, but Mama's tired. Mama's tired!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

An interesting post from Blu-Ray.com:
"I just contacted KINO. They told me there IS a more definitive edition coming out for METROPOLIS! Hopefully this Xmas! Three versions of the film, Georgio Moroder score and more extras. Will come in a tin pacakaging. He said they are hoping to get it out by Xmas, but if not, early '12. "

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Egbert Souse posted:

"I just contacted KINO. They told me there IS a more definitive edition coming out for METROPOLIS! Hopefully this Xmas! Three versions of the film, Georgio Moroder score and more extras. Will come in a tin pacakaging. He said they are hoping to get it out by Xmas, but if not, early '12. "

Fffffuck I just bought the other one. Oh well, I got it for $9.99, and I'm not sure I would drop "giant tin boxed set" money on a more complete version.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Fffffuck I just bought the other one. Oh well, I got it for $9.99, and I'm not sure I would drop "giant tin boxed set" money on a more complete version.

I would wait for the specs, too.

My guess is that "three versions" means the inclusion of the complete Argentinean print, which has exclusive takes different from the restored version. The third would be either the Moroder cut or the 1928 Paramount version. It seems like there's a lot of demand for the Alloy Orchestra score, plus Kino had an orchestral score on their 1990s VHS that hasn't resurfaced.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
As soon as I heard that score they did live in Berlin I knew I was never going back. It's so great.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Egbert Souse posted:

Why wasn't this posted like a week ago :negative:

Now I wonder whether I should mail back the Metropolis order that is incoming or what.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

As soon as I heard that score they did live in Berlin I knew I was never going back. It's so great.

The first restoration used an "edited" score, which was made up of the cues recorded separately in a studio, just like a music score would normally be produced.

The new version uses the live Berlin premiere performance. It's electrifying. The opening music gave me goosebumps when it blasted out of the speakers.

I'll admit that the Moroder version helped immensely in gaining new interest in the film, but the score is not just inappropriate, but of no help to the images. Moroder didn't seem to put any thought into whether the music supplemented the images, but rather just to have a loose tempo match. Even Alloy's unconventional music is joined to the images flawlessly.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 28, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Has anyone heard whether or not the upcoming Star Wars blu rays will be special edition only?

I expect them to be but here's hoping.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

fenix down posted:

Has anyone heard whether or not the upcoming Star Wars blu rays will be special edition only?

SE only. I think the official line is something along the lines of that's the ONLY version to Lucasfilm.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Great oracles of the Blu-Ray thread, has there been any word on an X-Files release?

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

fenix down posted:

I want to know if they're essentially just Blu-ray releases of the masters they created for the last DVD release. That was the set that introduced a whole new set of problems, like Vader having a pink lightsaber throughout the series.

Has there been any revelation about these being a new HD remaster specifically for this Blu-ray release?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
TPM will reportedly feature a CG Yoda, so presumably that will be a new master. As far as the terrible black crush, red push, pink sabers and other bullshit in the 2004 DVDs, we can only hope.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Surprised I haven't seen this pop up on here yet, but Borders is closing all their locations (and laying off 11k+ employees) and are currently selling all the Blu Ray's in their stores at 40% off.

Although, even at 40% off, their prices are so ridiculously high that it really isn't a deal at all. Seriously. Example: Standard BD edition of T2 at Borders was 34.99. Skynet edition at Target is 14.99. There are countless other examples like this.

The cheapest BD's I found were 19.99, and those were the lovely ones. It's no wonder they're going out of business.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Surprised I haven't seen this pop up on here yet, but Borders is closing all their locations (and laying off 11k+ employees) and are currently selling all the Blu Ray's in their stores at 40% off.

Although, even at 40% off, their prices are so ridiculously high that it really isn't a deal at all. Seriously. Example: Standard BD edition of T2 at Borders was 34.99. Skynet edition at Target is 14.99. There are countless other examples like this.

The cheapest BD's I found were 19.99, and those were the lovely ones. It's no wonder they're going out of business.

Media Play had everything at least 60% off when they went under.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah, they do percent off MSRP during a liquidation sale. Still enough to get the idiots in and put down their cash thinking they are getting a good deal.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sporadic posted:

Yeah, they do percent off MSRP during a liquidation sale. Still enough to get the idiots in and put down their cash thinking they are getting a good deal.

Ah, I guess that makes sense. After leaving Borders I stopped at Best Buy and they had a 7.99 bargain bin of blu ray's (nothing worth buying) and some of those were priced at 29.99 at Borders. :ughh:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah bookstores price their music and movies and full MSRP and I honestly want to know who is dumb enough to pay that much for a movie.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I took a gander at a Borders that was closing a few months ago and the prices were garbage. Higher than Amazon even with the sale.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Lizard Combatant posted:

Great oracles of the Blu-Ray thread, has there been any word on an X-Files release?

I haven't heard anything, but I suppose it's possible for the future. IMDB tells me that the show was filmed on 35mm, so it could potentially look amazing if they took the time to do a proper transfer.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
It may have been filmed on 35mm but that doesn't necessarily mean the original elements still exist. Even if they do, that means every episode must be re-assembled, and more importantly, all effects shots might have to be redone from scratch if they were only done at 480i or at 30/60fps instead of 24.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

frumpsnake posted:

It may have been filmed on 35mm but that doesn't necessarily mean the original elements still exist. Even if they do, that means every episode must be re-assembled, and more importantly, all effects shots might have to be redone from scratch if they were only done at 480i or at 30/60fps instead of 24.

If they can do it for Star Trek TNG :ohdear:

e: Also, have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 30, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Andrei Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice from Kino dropped down to $23.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004VH657U

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just watched a few minutes of The Blues Brothers. Universal finally does a remaster without a bunch of digital bullshit. It's beautifully dingy, just the way it was meant to be seen.

Did it really come out last Tuesday? I didn't see it at either Walmart or Best Buy this weekend.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I imagine there's a 100% chance we'll get a Complete Harry Potter Blu-ray set in time for the holidays this year? What's the latest they'd announce something like that?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Hatter106 posted:

I imagine there's a 100% chance we'll get a Complete Harry Potter Blu-ray set in time for the holidays this year? What's the latest they'd announce something like that?

There will almost definitely be some complete set with all 8 movies. Whether it's the end-all-be-all boxset is unknown, and probably very unlikely. I imagine the final movie as a regular edition (and a boxset with all 8 regular editions) will come out this November/December, and sometime next year there will be the "Ultimate Edition" of the 8th movie and a collection of all the ultimate editions.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
About goddamn time.

The Conversation - October 25 from Lionsgate (so it should be cheap)

quote:

Screen Tests
On-location Retrospective Featurette
Interviews with Director Francis Ford Coppola and Composer David Shire
Archival Footage
Archival Audio
Audio Commentaries
Making-of Featurette
Marketing Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

About goddamn time.

The Conversation - October 25 from Lionsgate (so it should be cheap)

Great. Coppola really kept Lionsgate on a tight leash for the Apocalypse Now release, so this should be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sporadic posted:

About goddamn time.

The Conversation

:hfive:

Doesn't look like they have anything from Gene Hackman. But they probably couldn't fly him to the studio because he's 81. :ohdear:

• Locked thread