Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I believe they put something in the water to get the latest patch.

Edit: drat, the bug went a way when the game was restarted.

Allatum fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

OP's been updated with the latest patch. And now I need to figure out a good Telekinesis build. For both ranged and melee. :ughh:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

OP's been updated with the latest patch. And now I need to figure out a good Telekinesis build. For both ranged and melee. :ughh:

There's too many powers. You'll want to pick one or the other.

These are my picks at 37 for melee (Not in any particular order, just listing from my power menu):
Super Dex/Rec with Quick Trigger (Ego as my tertiary through talents)
Ego Blade w/ Incisive Wit
Ego Weaponry w/ Siphoning Strikes (This advantage is amazing)
Ego Blade Annihilation Rank 2 w/ its unique
Ego Blade Breach Rank 3
Telekinesis (For fun)
Ego Blade Frenzy Rank 3
Id Mastery Rank 3
Mental Discipline Rank 3
Ego Surge Rank 2
Force Shield w/ Force Sheath
Ego Blade Dash
Ego Reverb

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I meant "one of each" yeah. Hmm, what other sets have such a drastic split like that? Supernatural used to, but it was since split off. Munitions has the dual pistols/military weapons split, but there's no real reason you can't mix and match there. But TK's now basically two different powersets that share a damage type.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Demonlord posted:

I come bearing gifts!

That is so great. Could you post the costume file?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

I meant "one of each" yeah. Hmm, what other sets have such a drastic split like that? Supernatural used to, but it was since split off. Munitions has the dual pistols/military weapons split, but there's no real reason you can't mix and match there. But TK's now basically two different powersets that share a damage type.

Ice's isn't as drastic, but it has the Shatter/Cold Snap etc. interaction that's just a waste of time, and then just Avalanching everything.

Power Armor has its toggle gimmick versus the one-offs like Laser Sword and Chest Beam. That's about it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

delfin posted:

6) The Grimoire. A support build in a game where most won't team much. AoPM boosts all your stats nicely, you get a self-heal, and Skarn's Bane is a quality maintain zap. Eldritch Shield is a good block power. Still, you'll have to be careful with how much you aggro at once, because it won't be hard to be overwhelmed.

I just started a Grimoire, playing mostly solo, and it is not that hard. You can take on pretty much anything so long as you do a little planning beforehand. Sigils of Arcane Runes are ridiculously useful when a group of enemies tries to get in your face. And even if you take damage you aren't completely made of paper like Inferno (which was not fun trying to solo with).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wanna try a magic character sometime but there are a shitload of powers and I can't really come up with a good concept for any of them. When i get around to it though, I may do Infernal Supernatural just so I can do shitloads of toxic damage.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Rocketlex posted:

I just started a Grimoire, playing mostly solo, and it is not that hard. You can take on pretty much anything so long as you do a little planning beforehand. Sigils of Arcane Runes are ridiculously useful when a group of enemies tries to get in your face. And even if you take damage you aren't completely made of paper like Inferno (which was not fun trying to solo with).

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it was a bad build, just not what I'd call a no-brainer one. The Eldritch Blast advantage does extra damage to Held opponents... the build has no reliable holds until 40. Primal Sigils punish anyone who gets close to you... the next attack you get knocks opponents away from you. AoPM gives you a solid stat boost all-around, but it doesn't excel in defense like Defiance or Invuln or jack up damage like the Energy Forms.

You're much less fragile than an Inferno, but at the same time you can't drop enemies nearly as quickly, which balances things a bit. You're not nearly as capable of sucking up damage as a Glacier or Behemoth, but you get a self-heal to compensate. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Death Himself posted:

That is so great. Could you post the costume file?

Here you are good sir:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Costume_Demonlord12_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_364869479.jpg

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

These are my picks at 37 for melee (Not in any particular order, just listing from my power menu):
Super Dex/Rec with Quick Trigger (Ego as my tertiary through talents)
Ego Blade w/ Incisive Wit
Ego Weaponry w/ Siphoning Strikes (This advantage is amazing)
Ego Blade Annihilation Rank 2 w/ its unique
Ego Blade Breach Rank 3
Telekinesis (For fun)
Ego Blade Frenzy Rank 3
Id Mastery Rank 3
Form of the Tempest
Ego Surge Rank 2
Force Shield w/ Force Sheath
Ego Blade Dash
Ego Reverb

I've revised this just a touch.

I replaced Mental Discipline with Form of the Tempest. The damage boost is significantly higher, and the build doesn't use ranged attacks anyway.

I also took Inertial Dampening Field with my next pick, for some extra defense.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 28, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, was messing around with a TK sword character earlier (albeit only at level 17) and it's just... a blender. Once you have the passive offense and the energy regen passive and Form of the Tempest, it can basically operate constantly even as just Dex/Ego. And Ego Blade Annihilation when maxed out hits like a goddamn truck, one-shotting villains and one-shotting bosses on a crit at that level... and that's without even having EBB's debuff on them or other damage boosts (was in Guardian role at the time, not Brawler, for example). Ego Blade Frenzy obliterates minions in about half a second, similarly. The only downside to the set is its still squishy, but the Ego Weaponry/Siphoning Strikes advantage covers this a bit, and there's enough room for some defensive powers later.

Ranged TK is... uh, not as good. :v: The only really decent power in the sub-set is TK Lance, and that's not really enough to cover it. The offensive ranged passive is too narrow and does nothing for defense, and even with the toggle form buff none of the other attacks just hit all that hard, and all of them are charge powers so they have the usual annoyances there. Sad, but nothing that can't be poked at, and at least TK as a whole is menacing in PVE finally.

Also, the Telekinesis power itself is absolutely hilarious. Somewhat limited use, but it's sort of how throwing things with strength should've been. Push button, character makes a gesture, and a nearby car or something flies into enemy's face. Not the most effective of powers, but up there with Roomsweeper in the "fun to watch" category.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Asimo posted:

Yeah, was messing around with a TK sword character earlier (albeit only at level 17) and it's just... a blender. Once you have the passive offense and the energy regen passive and Form of the Tempest, it can basically operate constantly even as just Dex/Ego. And Ego Blade Annihilation when maxed out hits like a goddamn truck, one-shotting villains and one-shotting bosses on a crit at that level... and that's without even having EBB's debuff on them or other damage boosts (was in Guardian role at the time, not Brawler, for example). Ego Blade Frenzy obliterates minions in about half a second, similarly. The only downside to the set is its still squishy, but the Ego Weaponry/Siphoning Strikes advantage covers this a bit, and there's enough room for some defensive powers later.

Ranged TK is... uh, not as good. :v: The only really decent power in the sub-set is TK Lance, and that's not really enough to cover it. The offensive ranged passive is too narrow and does nothing for defense, and even with the toggle form buff none of the other attacks just hit all that hard, and all of them are charge powers so they have the usual annoyances there. Sad, but nothing that can't be poked at, and at least TK as a whole is menacing in PVE finally.

Also, the Telekinesis power itself is absolutely hilarious. Somewhat limited use, but it's sort of how throwing things with strength should've been. Push button, character makes a gesture, and a nearby car or something flies into enemy's face. Not the most effective of powers, but up there with Roomsweeper in the "fun to watch" category.

I just picked up Telekinesis on my Darkness/Ego poo poo hybrid, and despite it probably being the least useful power I have I keep spamming it because making everything in the room pile onto a guy is just amazingly fun to watch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It still makes objects implode themselves if there's nothing else in range of them, too.

Edit:
Has anyone done a Freeform Ice build? I'm looking for some early power selection recommendations.

I've started Ice characters about 4 times, but I always abandon them early because Ice might very well have the worst early level power selection in the game.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 28, 2011

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My first character was a glacier archetype that I got all the way up to level 40 in under a month. I didn't have any particular problems doing so and I enjoyed it well enough. It was almost entirely spamming snow storm. Although at some point I did get a Rune Blade, which I also used heavily. This was also mostly solo play, might I add.

I guess that doesn't really answer your question, but I am just saying that it was doable and enjoyable enough to me as a new player. Perhaps someone more experienced like yourself would find it incredibly tedious or underpowered though yeah.

edit: Asimo here VVVV reminds me that the defensive powers (invulnerability mostly) of the ice arch. were indeed pretty nice. if you kept your level ahead of the quests you were doing, lots of minions would do literally 1 or 0 damage to you. and yeah, the effects are cool too. ice shield is particularly fancy.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 28, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I've started Ice characters about 4 times, but I always abandon them early because Ice might very well have the worst early level power selection in the game.
Ice definitely has the problem of basically being "Fire or Electricity, except not as good". Avalanche is pretty drat awesome sure, and Snow Storm and Frost Breath helps with the minion-grinding before that, but Fire gets Conflagration and Fire Breath... and has useful powers beyond that, as well as a mess of ways to increase fire damage instantly rather than having to hope for a Chill/Shatter chain. Electricity similarly gets Thunderstorm... as well as Gigabolt, the best drat nuke power in the game, and far superior single-target damage in Lightning Arc. And both Fire and Elec get passive energy regen powers to work off their gimmick debuffs, too.

Ice is certainly workable and still not really a bad powerset, but it's just kind of awkward a bit in comparison and suffers a bit from the same "control-hybrid sets do less damage, except that control in ChampO in PVE is pointless" problem that Darkness does. Which is a shame, since I really like the Ice SFX. The Archetype version probably hints at the best way of doing it, really; grab a defensive passive and abuse the AoE effects and the like for a ranged tank.

Hmm. I wonder if you could make a decent Fire/Ice hybrid set. Both their passives buff the others' damage after all, and there's enough overlap in feel (Frost/Fire Breath, Avalanche/Conflagration, etc.) that choosing one set's power over the other wouldn't hurt on the surface. But on the other hand there's no real synergy in the debuffs, and you'd lose some of the benefit of Thermal Reverberation if you took it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aphrodite posted:

Has anyone done a Freeform Ice build? I'm looking for some early power selection recommendations.

I'd disagree with this, Ice has ways of becoming viable pretty quickly. The starter attack (Ice Blast) with the Hard Frost advantage does excellent tap damage on Chilled opponents. By level 11, you can have that, Invulnerability, Frost Breath for easy application of Chill (or Snow Storm w/advantage so you can turtle and watch enemies kill themselves), and Wall of Ice for a ranged lockdown that also does damage.

Ice is devoid of a Really Big Zap kind of attack, but if you're intent on going offensive with Ice you can take Ice Form instead of Invulnerability and then pull something from Fire or Infernal that Ice Form will boost.

Asimo posted:

Ice is certainly workable and still not really a bad powerset, but it's just kind of awkward a bit in comparison and suffers a bit from the same "control-hybrid sets do less damage, except that control in ChampO in PVE is pointless" problem that Darkness does.

Which is ironic, since I'm at 38 with a Darkness build right now and it's an absolute wrecking machine. Shadow Embrace w/the knockdown advantage does good damage and can interrupt and cause Fear, Ebon Rift is just ridiculous if you take its massive-damage-at-center advantage, Ebon Ruin has great advantages, and Dark Transfusion w/advantage jacks up damage and is an amazing energy source for an offensive build. Summon Shadows calls up fast temporary pets whose health you don't have to worry about, and they slap around villains nicely.

A CON/END Darkness build can take Imbue, which just makes Ebon Ruin even more ridiculous. Circle of Ebon Wrath, Dark Trans, tap Ruin, Imbue, full Ruin is an easy 5K autocrit, leaves the target (if they're still alive) Feared (+15% more damage from Ruin), taking DoT, and 10% debuffed against Dimensional damage, and I still have energy in the tank for another full Ruin, or to throw out Shadows to nip at its heels or use Shadow Shroud to jack it up even further.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

delfin posted:

I'd disagree with this, Ice has ways of becoming viable pretty quickly. The starter attack (Ice Blast) with the Hard Frost advantage does excellent tap damage on Chilled opponents.

Yeah but Fire and Electricity become 'god drat amazing' pretty quickly. Viable by comparison isn't fun.

Maybe I should do a Fire/Ice hybrid...

quote:

A CON/END Darkness build can take Imbue, which just makes Ebon Ruin even more ridiculous. Circle of Ebon Wrath, Dark Trans, tap Ruin, Imbue, full Ruin is an easy 5K autocrit, leaves the target (if they're still alive) Feared (+15% more damage from Ruin), taking DoT, and 10% debuffed against Dimensional damage, and I still have energy in the tank for another full Ruin, or to throw out Shadows to nip at its heels or use Shadow Shroud to jack it up even further.

The problem is that 5k is really low damage in Champions, though.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
In standard PvE, is it? It won't put much of a dent in a Legendary or Cosmic or a Blood Moon undead hero, but it'll kill or cripple just about anything you'll encounter in a normal leveling grind. Even most Super Villains top out around 10K HP.

EDIT: Actually, let me come at this from another direction. So far, as far as going toe-to-toe with the big boys goes (either soloing or just holding aggro), the only success I've had is with pure tank builds, basically winning via wars of attrition and good self-heals. If I want a build that's more of an offensive juggernaut, more avoid-and-heal-damage than suck-it-up-and-heal, I'm looking at what? Sword Cyclone + Dragon's * + LR-BCR-RR-MD seem the logical paths, but what else is out there that works?

delfin fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 28, 2011

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I should clarify my comment earlier: Darkness has lower damage due to its utility, but it's also really goddamn survivable due to it. Fear is an excellent debuff, it has a damage power that heals you, and the knockback advantages on Shadow Embrace are one of the most effective control methods in practice, say.

Really, the important thing to remember is that ChampO is not all that... hard, and while it's easy to make a gimpy character if you don't know what you're doing, if you're able to scythe your way through minions and have decent single-target damage there's not a whole lot that can be a threat. That said, there's a difference between "pretty good" and "crazy optimized", and folks're usually talking about the latter, but don't let that make you assume a powerset is inviable or something due to it.

As for a walking juggernaut... yeah, most of the simplest ways of making one are melee. My current walking brick is a Might guy, and not even a fancy build; Defiance, Enrage, BCR (although Bionic Shielding or something is probably better on paper), IDF, and so on. The damage is decent and he can survive and solo almost anything short of endgame lair bosses on elite, and with a more intentionally specialized build could probably do that too.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also, apparently Mental Discipline is better than it looks. The Ego damage boost apparently applies to the base damage of the power rather than the damage multiplier (like Focus and Enrage do), which doesn't sound like a big difference but apparently there's some Cryptic math involved and the latter has diminishing returns while the former doesn't. So it doesn't quite compete with a maxed Focus stack, but in practice it's still equivalent to something like 5 ranks of it, and with the crit percent addition atop. Handy if you don't have a Dex superstat or if you want to mix in some of the ranged telekinesis attacks too.

Still, since there's no real reason not to do Dex/Ego as a TK Sword build, and Focus gives higher net melee damage and more energy regen, Form of the Tempest still tends to be better in practice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

Still, since there's no real reason not to do Dex/Ego as a TK Sword build, and Focus gives higher net melee damage and more energy regen, Form of the Tempest still tends to be better in practice.

Or /Rec, since Ego Reverb scales from that and it's an energy heavy set.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Or /Rec, since Ego Reverb scales from that and it's an energy heavy set.
But then you wouldn't be able to throw giant things with Telekinesis! :shepface:

(That, and I haven't had too much problems between statting for Rec and Ego Reverb, Focus stacking adding energy, and Ego Annihilation re-stacking Ego Leech for extra energy. But the character is only 18, so.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Newest art update is awesome.

http://www.champions-online.com/node/595450

Bubble helms. New rayguns. Awesome jetpacks.

Also this:

quote:

I want to note that we’ve been keeping an eye on player’s concerns and have a solution in place for existing Jet Packs as well, which will be rolled out alongside a selection of these beauties.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Haha, beaten to it. That's what I get for having dinner and procrastinating. But... yeah. I will have this set. I will have all these sets if need be. :stare: They drat well better let you use gorilla heads inside those bubble domes though. And looks like they went with what they were thinking, putting the domes as chest pieces so you still had head customization. Limits the chest armor a bit, but probably easiest in the long run.

And that just raises further questions about the impending Jetpack Flight. Will it just emanate from the back regardless? If so, are the extra jetpack models part of the retro sci-fi set, or a bonus with the power? If not, will you choose the jetpack from a drop-down menu? And since that's likely a new tech for them, what's that mean for other travel powers or powers in general? Hmm.

Also that first jetpack with the twin ducts on struts looks amazing and better make it in. :colbert:

Asimo fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 30, 2011

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Oh man, I wasn't really paying any attention to that set but it looks loving awesome.

Also, get Krogan'd:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

Also, get Krogan'd:

Please share that costume file. :stare:

Also, saving the costume image from the official site for posterity here.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Those suits are pretty neat. The hand bubbles and the ability to be a brain in a suit (approaching utroms, kinda)are excellent. I do really hope the raygun stuff means being able to set gun powers to emit a solid beam or something like that though. And a megaman style arm cannon would be perfectly awesome, Cryptic.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 30, 2011

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Here's the costume file: http://filesmelt.com/dl/Costume_FlyinPingu_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_365315629.jpg

The Cyborg Steampunk back piece makes for a better hump if you've got it unlocked, but I'm pretty sure to use that you also have to give up the chest wear.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

Here's the costume file: http://filesmelt.com/dl/Costume_FlyinPingu_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_365315629.jpg

The Cyborg Steampunk back piece makes for a better hump if you've got it unlocked, but I'm pretty sure to use that you also have to give up the chest wear.
Huh. What's the head piece(s) and chest piece there? I don't seem to have either. :raise:

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Asimo posted:

Huh. What's the head piece(s) and chest piece there? I don't seem to have either. :raise:

Head piece is the Colossus Head from killing 20 Colossi in Resistance, chest piece is the bulky chest armor thing that unlocks from one of the craftable science items; you could pretty much just replace the chest piece with anything else, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can probably use the Tesla chestpiece to be Perfect Krogan too.

Someone needs to make Wrecks and Shepherd and just have their "conversation" constantly somewhere public.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Welp, call me a recitivist. Got back into this game for the first time since 2009, and wow a lot of crap has been fixed. I am trying to fix an old power armor character from the ground up, but I am confused. The CO wiki says to boost Endurance and Intellegence, but also suggest Mechanized (Strength and Intellegence), which was the old one. Which is best for a Power Armor build?

Also, on a similar topic, when reading Invunlerability (PA slotted defensive passive), I remember it used to go by Strength and Con, but now it says by Super Stats. Will it just always adjust by whatever super stats I end up using? Because that was a huge pain in the rear end about old passives, like regeneration, that if you didn't have a crazy recovery, it wouldn't help at all. This makes me want to just go STR/CON and never die, if it wouldn't interfere with the rest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Correct. Passives are universal now.

Also I did this for the hell of it:

I know dozens of pubbies have too, but none of them will probably play along with Krogan.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 30, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Double post!

Just got an honorable mention in a Duo Costume Contest. You could have been there Pingu, way to drop the ball.

I'm starting to rethink that decision on Vermire.

The Garrus is jjac. I don't know what his forum name is. It might even be jjac.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Double post!

Just got an honorable mention in a Duo Costume Contest. You could have been there Pingu, way to drop the ball.

I'm starting to rethink that decision on Vermire.

The Garrus is jjac. I don't know what his forum name is. It might even be jjac.

I've been trying to get enough snakebux for the steampunk back piece, so I wouldn't have been ready. Also I'm pretty sure the huge stance kind of bones my Krogan costume over; he would come out shorter than Garrus :(

That said I just set up Pidgin so I won't miss out on costume contests when I'm not in game.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Aphrodite posted:

Double post!

Dang, I should've been there in all-pink gay armour to create Kaidan. :gay:

Or, on a more serious note, Jack would've been awesome to tag along. :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
God drat you guys.

. . .

Reinstalling now. :negative:

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I would play this game constantly if I had people to team with. As it stands now, I play for an hour, can't find anyone to team with, and quit because I'm bored. Good job for the Champions guys making this game possible to solo most of it, but I can't find the energy to play it.

You know what I would spend actual money on? Team mates. You can already buy a base of operations, how about heroes to fill it? If they did something like you can create up to four heroes for your team but you can only bring one along at a time I would pay for that. The current one hour thing is just not worth it. I'd like to actually design my team mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I would play this game constantly if I had people to team with. As it stands now, I play for an hour, can't find anyone to team with, and quit because I'm bored. Good job for the Champions guys making this game possible to solo most of it, but I can't find the energy to play it.

You know what I would spend actual money on? Team mates. You can already buy a base of operations, how about heroes to fill it? If they did something like you can create up to four heroes for your team but you can only bring one along at a time I would pay for that. The current one hour thing is just not worth it. I'd like to actually design my team mates.

Add @FlyinPingu in game; when I'm actually playing I'll pretty much always be up for teaming, as it can get kind of boring playing alone.

But yeah I'd totally shell out like 10 dollars to build my own sidekick. Probably couldn't let your freeform them as that would horribly break the game, but making a guy and slapping an archetype on him would be pretty cool.