Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Beaten Garshasp (quite fun, considering I rarely play God of War type games, but the camera is evil), Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood (decent enough, and it was short enough to not overstay it's welcome) and Nation Red (campaign sucks, considering it's the same mission 17 times with only one different one, especially the maps where zombies come from all directions). Some progress on the backlog, at least (though I also added DiRT3 and Crayon Physics Deluxe).

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Garshasp (quite fun

:catstare:

How long is Puzzle Quest supposed to take, anyway? I've put a solid 30 hours into it and I'm killing Lord Bane's generals so I feel like I should be at the end. I just want to cross this and Trine off my backlog.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.

americanzero4128 posted:

:catstare:

How long is Puzzle Quest supposed to take, anyway? I've put a solid 30 hours into it and I'm killing Lord Bane's generals so I feel like I should be at the end. I just want to cross this and Trine off my backlog.

My Steam time for PQ says 26 hours. That's with doing all the sidequests. It did seem pretty long during my playthrough as there were multiple points in the later half where I could have sworn the game was about to end. It just kept on chugging along though. At 30 hours I'd imagine you're pretty close to the end, but I unfortunately don't recall how close to the end the generals are.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Making decent progress on the Witcher and Tyrian 2000.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Chief Savage Man posted:

Making decent progress on the Witcher and Tyrian 2000.

This is stuff you put in the progress notes of your "Now Playing" games (or any games, for that matter).

Have you got an account there? Updating that is a lot quicker than coming here to do so, so you could just slap your sig onto any post you make. :buddy:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That Critical Mass game is really neat but seriously needs some patching. Besides being brutally hard even on Casual (which they've apparently acknowledged based on the in-game news ticker) everything that requires an internet connection, which is basically everything in the game, is broken so nothing gets saved and you can't get Achievements or anything.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morter posted:

This is stuff you put in the progress notes of your "Now Playing" games (or any games, for that matter).

Have you got an account there? Updating that is a lot quicker than coming here to do so, so you could just slap your sig onto any post you make. :buddy:

I occasionally consider signing up for Backloggery, but then I consider how much fun it wouldn't be transcribing a 500-line game list into it one game at a time and decide I'd rather spend that time actually playing the games.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ToxicFrog posted:

I occasionally consider signing up for Backloggery, but then I consider how much fun it wouldn't be transcribing a 500-line game list into it one game at a time and decide I'd rather spend that time actually playing the games.

But then you have a list of every game you own on every console, so if you were to, say, sell them all or just compare games it would be incredibly easy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

But then you have a list of every game you own on every console, so if you were to, say, sell them all or just compare games it would be incredibly easy.

The thing is, I already have such a list (in plaintext format). All putting it on backloggery would do is make it prettier. That might be worthwhile if I could just paste the entire file into backloggery and have it make sense of it, but if I have to manually add each game, not so much.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

It's not that hard. It's just the name of it and how far you think you are, even if that. You also don't have to put EVERY game you've EVER played or owned. I just put down my steam list (Because it is my main "backlog". I get done with most console games I get pretty quickly), and then added any steam or console games I got after I made the account. It took a few hours initially, sure, but it's gotten me motivated to play through games I normally wouldn't, anyway.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Morter posted:

It's not that hard. It's just the name of it and how far you think you are, even if that. You also don't have to put EVERY game you've EVER played or owned. I just put down my steam list (Because it is my main "backlog". I get done with most console games I get pretty quickly), and then added any steam or console games I got after I made the account. It took a few hours initially, sure, but it's gotten me motivated to play through games I normally wouldn't, anyway.

And having a huge list makes the Fortune Cookie feature extra exciting!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morter posted:

My Steam list alone is 300 games long. :(

Maybe I should write a program to upload game lists to backloggery...

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Holy, to coin a phrase, poo poo:

I fired this up three weeks ago to see how much worse the DOS version was from the Mac one and it didn't let me go. I still can't say it's a good game, but this is the first dungeon crawler I've beaten in longer than I can remember.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

ManxomeBromide posted:

Holy, to coin a phrase, poo poo:

I fired this up three weeks ago to see how much worse the DOS version was from the Mac one and it didn't let me go. I still can't say it's a good game, but this is the first dungeon crawler I've beaten in longer than I can remember.

Congrats man, that's awesome. I have still never beaten a true old school dungeon crawler, even though I have been playing them off and on for 25 years.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to beat M&M 3 and World of Xeen way back in the day, but iirc I created a party, had them deposit all their money in the bank, then work in the slag pits for the next 90 years or so until they all died of old age. Then I created a new party, who took the giant pile of wages and most importantly, interest, and slaughtered their way through the game with effectively infinite money. Cheesy, but I was 13 years old or so. Still solved tons of neat puzzles and had a blast exploring the huge world. I never played anything after M&M:World of Xeen, but that game was an absolute blast, and still remains one of my favorite CRPGs.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ToxicFrog posted:

My Steam list alone is 300 games long. :(

Maybe I should write a program to upload game lists to backloggery...

Please do.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chippy posted:

Please do.

A pox on all sites that do not have official APIs. Now it's just saying "that system appears to be invalid" no matter what I do.

E: it's working! It's kind of ugly, though, and requires you manually extract the cookie: header.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 28, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It works. :negative:

Script here. Requires Lua + LuaSocket. Read the comments at the start of the file for usage instructions, and don't forget to edit USER and COOKIE. It does assume familiarity with the command line.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Script here. Requires Lua + LuaSocket. Read the comments at the start of the file for usage instructions, and don't forget to edit USER and COOKIE. It does assume familiarity with the command line.

Wow, well done! If I hadn't done this poo poo manually a couple of months ago :negative:, this would save me hours

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ToxicFrog posted:

This is neat. Maybe I'll take the time to do this (probably not)

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I beat Descent 2 last night, it was a couple of levels shorter than I had thought. The scoreboard at the end shows that I finished in a little under 8 hours. Overall, I think I like it about the same as the first, though they both had their different flaws.

Not sure what I'll play next (other than Just Cause, I mean; I like having two games going at once), maybe I'll try going back to a game that I'd started but lost interest in.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I think I need to start toxxing myself to play video games. :smith:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Hello my name is Quidnose and I buy way too many steam games.

This thread looks awesome, put up an account on Backloggery, used the Random Steam Game site, and the first game I shall be playing from my backlog isssssss....

Tom Clancy's Endwar.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Quidnose posted:

Hello my name is Quidnose and I buy way too many steam games.

This thread looks awesome, put up an account on Backloggery, used the Random Steam Game site, and the first game I shall be playing from my backlog isssssss....

Tom Clancy's Endwar.

Why would you use the random steam games site, when you could use the backloggery's fortune cookie? :3:

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've unlocked everything in Bad Company 2. I'm level 22. To move on to another game or to try for level 50...

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Morter posted:

Why would you use the random steam games site, when you could use the backloggery's fortune cookie? :3:

Cause I haven't entered all my steamgames in the list yet? :3:

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Yes! Finally beat the longest campaign of Atom Zombie Smasher, now I moved it into my completed directory.

My weakness are those cheap 5e games that seem fun but ultimately lack so much in content and don't have the charm to keep me hooked for long, but after I saw this thread I decided I should get atleast some of them completed.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Seems like every time I finish a game, I end up adding another to my backlog. I bought Two Worlds today, stupid GOG and their sales :smith: I tried it out and it seems fun, though, so I may go ahead and try to get through it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Eh! Frank posted:

Seems like every time I finish a game, I end up adding another to my backlog.

Speaking of which, I finished Splinter Cell and I've beaten every level in Everyday Shooter, which I'm going to call "beating" it. ("Complete" will be qualifying for and grinding out every possible unlock other than lives.) So that's seven games finished for the month! :unsmith:

Unfortunately, I purchased 15 games this month. :smith:

Five of those seven were from the 15, though, so a lot of the new purchases haven't stayed on the backlog for long. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, to be honest.

I guess I ought to start playing Chaos Theory next, or I could give Darwinia another go.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

ToxicFrog posted:

This is great, now is there any way of getting a plaintext list of your games from Steam?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Ok, I've kind of fell off the wagon lately. VtM:B at five was way too good to pass up, I got DiRT 3 by pretending to be Brazilian, EYE was too intriguing not to buy, and I'm always a sucker for the Humble Bundle. Luckily I've bought two games at near full price at ~63 dollars (SR3 preorder and EYE) so I don't have a lot of money to spend on sales now. I have a few weeks until classes start up again and I have no friends here because I just moved and none of the people I know will be here for ~3 weeks. It's a perfect opportunity to get some serious backlog reduction done. The three games I've chosen are EYE which is too fascinatingly bizarre to put down, VtM:B which is pretty engrossing and Thief: Deadly Shadows which I bought long ago but just started last week and is also one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played in my life. Wish me luck, fellow addicts.

csm141 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 1, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chippy posted:

This is great, now is there any way of getting a plaintext list of your games from Steam?

There's probably a better way, but here's a quick and dirty script. Same requires as the above, produces output in a format that backloggery.lua will accept. Invoke as lua steamgames.lua steam-id.

Note that it doesn't understand categories or anything and reports everything as "READY" (which will map to "Unfinished" on backloggery), so you might want to save the output and edit it to mark which games you've finished before you upload them all to backloggery.

Also, backloggery.lua updated to understand "WISH" and "WISHLIST" as a game status, which will cause it to upload the game as Unfinished+Wishlisted.

KingCute
Dec 5, 2010

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.
Whelp, I finally beat Shadowgrounds. I've got one thing to say about that game and that is: I'm never playing that again.
I did enjoy it though.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Sam & Max is a real treat, I'm currently on Ice Station Santa and it keeps getting better.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just completed Ben There, Dan That! and only needed a guide for two puzzles which is some sort of record for me. The writing in that game is fantastic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Opus125 posted:

I've unlocked everything in Bad Company 2. I'm level 22. To move on to another game or to try for level 50...

Don't go for level 50. It may seem fun and games where you are but later levels take dramatically longer times to get. It's endless - if you like the game, play it for fun but don't go for the levels. It's NOT like CoD levelling, believe me.

To be exact for a good player it would take 282 hours to get to level 50. There are also no further rewards except for the level count. There are even articles written on the subject. Even in order to get to level 30 you'll have to spend almost exactly as much time in-game as it took you to get to 22. Those hours also take into account that you're actually very good at the game, that you play every time for the correct objectives, don't goof around and have a stable accuracy.

Just move on when you feel you're not having fun anymore. I'd stick around at least for a few more levels because to be fair if you only unlocked everything you have still much to learn. Finally getting the proper grope on this game where you kill pubies with crazy shots and destroy an m-com by repeatedly ramming your helicopter into it kamikaze style makes it worth it.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Palpek posted:

Don't go for level 50. It may seem fun and games where you are but later levels take dramatically longer times to get. It's endless - if you like the game, play it for fun but don't go for the levels. It's NOT like CoD levelling, believe me.

To be exact for a good player it would take 282 hours to get to level 50. There are also no further rewards except for the level count. There are even articles written on the subject. Even in order to get to level 30 you'll have to spend almost exactly as much time in-game as it took you to get to 22. Those hours also take into account that you're actually very good at the game, that you play every time for the correct objectives, don't goof around and have a stable accuracy.

Just move on when you feel you're not having fun anymore. I'd stick around at least for a few more levels because to be fair if you only unlocked everything you have still much to learn. Finally getting the proper grope on this game where you kill pubies with crazy shots and destroy an m-com by repeatedly ramming your helicopter into it kamikaze style makes it worth it.

I had a crazy amount of fun with the game from levels 15 to 22 when it finally clicked for me, but yea, it would seem like a chore to grind to level 50 just for the sake of getting to 50, but I definitely intend on continuing to play the game to the detriment of my backlog.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

I'm really having fun with Two Worlds. Although, I'm playing on the easiest difficulty, and at times it's a bit *too* easy (respawning after death with no penalties just feels like cheating), but that's ok, and main thing is I'm enjoying it. Reminds me of a cross between Oblivion and Diablo (the inventory and level-up system) with a bit of Fable thrown in (the cheesiness).

It's going to take me a while to finish it, though. I've been doing every side-quest I've come across, and have actually gone out of my way looking for side quests, trying to explore every inch of the terrain. Plus I'm tempted to start over with a mage once I beat it with my current character, a fighter-type.

The games I seem to enjoy most are these open-world action RPGs, like the Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and this, where I can spend hours just exploring and dicking around. No wonder my backlog is building up so fast.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, cross Doom 2 off the list. On the whole, I didn't like it as much as the first one; the greater enemy variety is nice but some of the levels are awful and the final boss is boring. I don't see myself returning to Doom at any point, but it was kind of a fun diversion.

I'm still working my way through Fallout: New Vegas; what should I be playing in parallel with it? I'm contemplating finishing up Blade Kitten, or perhaps another old-school FPS like RtCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Finally finished Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. My first attempt, more than a year ago, stranded about an hour into the game, when I got frustrated as hell with the wonky combat. This time around, I almost stopped playing at the same spot for the same reasons, but I pulled through, and I'm glad I did. This game has a really hosed up difficulty curve: It's genuinely hard at the start, when it's just you and a lovely sword against an army of thugs, but once you've got some skills under your belt (Pro-tip: Learn Heal as soon as possible), it becomes easier and easier. By the time I got to the big plot twist (which was totally unpredictable and not telegraphed at all), I was basically unstoppable, and I hauled around an inventory full of potions that I never had to use. That said, I had fun with it. It's low on brains and high on action, it does not drag on too long, and the rear end in a top hat physics are an awesome, if thoroughly wacky, selling point.