Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

to all the industry hopefuls reading this thread:

Do not be this woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNgjecJY76g&feature=channel_video_title

Hire her to do what exactly? Her portfolio blows. http://www.erinvondrak.com

I get really mad at things like this when they say they want to work for a particular company so they have something cool to tell people when they ask where they work.

Edit: I wouldn't hire her for anything because she's pretty stuck up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_vAXBz3LLk

Alterian fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Alterian posted:

Hire her to do what exactly? Her portfolio blows.

I'm sure every company has a need for artists unable to grasp basic contrast and too timid to paint anything daring.

In QA.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jan posted:

I'm sure every company has a need for artists unable to grasp basic contrast and too timid to paint anything daring.

In custodial services.

fixed! I like that her portfolio states she's worked for Apple since 2007. I'm going to guess the total lack of apple-related work in her portfolio means she works in an Apple Store.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Sigma-X posted:

fixed! I like that her portfolio states she's worked for Apple since 2007. I'm going to guess the total lack of apple-related work in her portfolio means she works in an Apple Store.

lol, that's like saying you're in the industry when you work part time at gamestop

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I'll take the opposite approach with that video...

Ignoring the fact that she has no real talent, this isn't a bad way to get your resume burbled to the top of a pile. It shows a motivation that not all junior people trying to get their foot in the door have. But yeah, that assumes her portfolio was actually good.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

devilmouse posted:

I'll take the opposite approach with that video...

Ignoring the fact that she has no real talent, this isn't a bad way to get your resume burbled to the top of a pile. It shows a motivation that not all junior people trying to get their foot in the door have. But yeah, that assumes her portfolio was actually good.

Begging for a job rather than merely making something cool seems like a lovely way to get there.

Why not make a video showcasing your actual talents?

That guy who did the re-animated Half Life 1 stuff to make it 'modernized' and 'immersive' got his stuff in front of a ton of people - everyone in my studio has seen it.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Jan posted:

In QA.

I think at this point, we've had enough discussion about the value QA adds to a project and the skillset it takes to do well. We don't have to keep perpetuating the 'QA is for Idea Guys and people that can't hack it in other disciplines' canard.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Some of people I've heard that have been flown to valve or got a walk around in there studio make me mad because 1) they're useless tools or 2) whiny babies. Yet I made something and get shunned.

Basically "grr injustice!" rant. :(

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Monochrome posted:

I think at this point, we've had enough discussion about the value QA adds to a project and the skillset it takes to do well. We don't have to keep perpetuating the 'QA is for Idea Guys and people that can't hack it in other disciplines' canard.

Now we just need to make that clear to hiring executives.

:suicide:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Imajus posted:

lol, that's like saying you're in the industry when you work part time at gamestop

Game Jobs Megathread #3: No, working at Gamestop is NOT "in the industry."

(though I seem to recall that either this was a thread title in the past, or we just used that line a lot.)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Diplomaticus posted:

(though I seem to recall that either this was a thread title in the past, or we just used that line a lot.)

I think that was gamejobs 1.

Game Jobs Megathread #3: Planned as a Trilogy

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

I think it was in the first post of an older thread, in a :frogout: kind of way.

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 28, 2011

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Diplomaticus posted:

It used to be a thread title for the first thread, I think. It went something along the lines of "Games Jobs Megathread (No, Gamestop doesn't count)" or something.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This is one of those threads that I cannot really contribute to, but wish I could! :unsmith:

Reading this kinda makes me feel like that guy that is friends with the cool kids, but can't really interject anything useful into the conversation they are having about sports stats.

Regardless, I just want to thank you dedicated sons-a-bitches for giving me a reason to build/use computers.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Sigma-X posted:

That guy who did the re-animated Half Life 1 stuff to make it 'modernized' and 'immersive' got his stuff in front of a ton of people - everyone in my studio has seen it.

I hadn't heard of this, and it absolutely floored me- here's a link for anyone else who hasn't had a chance to see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtIp8jOo8_o

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Shalinor, do you know about the Border House? It's a blog that a lot of the women developers write for. You should try contacting Tami, she's a real friendly lady!

http://borderhouseblog.com/
http://twitter.com/theborderhouse

Jan posted:

In QA.

Another female QA? HELLO SISTER!

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Ramen Ocelot posted:

Shalinor, do you know about the Border House? It's a blog that a lot of the women developers write for. You should try contacting Tami, she's a real friendly lady!

(She's also not a developer. Both she and her co-editor are community managers.)

Edit: Sorry for being pedantic!

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 28, 2011

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!

Diplomaticus posted:

yep that's why I said it

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

devilmouse posted:

(She's also not a developer. Both she and her co-editor are community managers.)
This is really the issue, and isn't one most want to hear. There isn't a grave social injustice being done to female developers in the present market, it's just that there are few of us period in the engineering/etc side of the industry, which makes us a curiosity. It'd be like a Caucasian getting a job in India as a tech support guy - you're probably going to be notable in a lineup of your coworkers, and culturally, you might find a lot of what they do offensive or otherwise objectionable, even though it's typical for their culture.

The base reason for that isn't one we can solve amongst adults, you have to go back to young age and notice how our educational (and social) systems tend to polarize fields as male or female appropriate, with tech and mathematics in general being a typically not-pushed-to-women role. As a matter of interest, I couldn't even tell you if this is still the case - for all I know, it was fixed 5 years ago. It's just that it'll take another 15 for us to see the results.

... but that isn't the answer most want, they want a grave injustice that can be fought with sternly worded emails and sit-ins.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Shalinor posted:

This is really the issue, and isn't one most want to hear. There isn't a grave social injustice being done to female developers in the present market, it's just that there are few of us period in the engineering/etc side of the industry, which makes us a curiosity. It'd be like a Caucasian getting a job in India as a tech support guy - you're probably going to be notable in a lineup of your coworkers.

The base reason for that isn't one we can solve amongst adults, you have to go back to young age and notice how our educational (and social) systems tend to polarize fields as male or female appropriate, with tech and mathematics in general being a typically not-pushed-to-women role. As a matter of interest, I couldn't even tell you if this is still the case - for all I know, it was fixed 5 years ago. It's just that it'll take another 15 for us to see the results.

... but that isn't the answer most want, they want a grave injustice that can be fought with sternly worded emails and sit-ins.

Being a white guy in India is a very different experience than being a woman in a historically and currently male-dominated industry though. A better example would be like being a black person in an i-banking job.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

The OP posted:

Q: I want to be a writer.
A: Also this industry does not hire writers to full time positions at companies. Ever. Don't even dream of it. There might be contract positions from time to time, but that's it and you better believe that once the contract's over you're out the door and back to working on pulp fantasy novellas. Which, honestly, you'd make better money at if you just stuck to feeding the lower rungs of literature with more elves and orcs and space marines in cliche'd storylines.

Is it really that bad? I've spent most of the past week putting together a sample script and an application for a position I saw advertised. Now I don't know what the gently caress to do.

Writing for games was always a dream of mine. I settled for something else (journalism) but I never really loved that, so I traded it for something with more job security and higher pay (communications) a few years ago. But I don't want to just settle for a job I can do anymore, no matter how well it pays. I want a job that I'm engaged in and passionate about. Is it really that far fetched to be able to make a living writing for video games?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
We have 2 full time writers at Volition. We have 200+ other employees that develop stuff, plus admin and QA.

The positions exist, but they're hard to find.

Both of our current writers are QA promotions, so I would guess that going into QA worked for them pretty well. They also were hired under (the same, actually) writer initially, so being QA at a place that has an existing writer and is growing is the gist of their career path.

I also doubt either guy is going anywhere any time soon, so these aren't the sort of positions that open and close the way environment artist or level designer or gameplay programmer do.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

We actually have a bunch of full-time writers on staff. Generally each of the larger teams has at least one full-time, and maybe one contract. And we pay them really well if they're senior/good. And we make games with pretty light narrative!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

devilmouse posted:

We actually have a bunch of full-time writers on staff. Generally each of the larger teams has at least one full-time, and maybe one contract. And we pay them really well if they're senior/good. And we make games with pretty light narrative!

Where do you work again? I thought you were at an XBLA studio but multiple writers/projects seems pretty specialized for a company of that size.

Gears of War has a writer, too.

I would imagine most big companies have a writer position per project, maybe more if they're very narrative-heavy, but I would also be amazed if those positions opened up often.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Shalinor posted:

I think I was pretty lucky. I always grew up with the idea I could be anything I wanted to be. I didn't really feel the "glass ceiling" until I entered the workforce after college. I guess I'm lucky my parents never pushed me into stereotypical gender roles when I was young and grew up with support in exploring anything I was interested in. I definitely have interested that are usually considered feminine and masculine.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Ok, that makes me feel better. I'm willing to put the work in if its difficult, I was just discouraged at the idea that it was pretty much impossible (i.e. "Don't even dream of it.") Thanks folks.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

Where do you work again?

I can only answer this if you invite 10 friends and spam your facebook feed!

But I used to be at Turbine, and then a startup that got acquired by Zynga. So now I'm at Zynga.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Diplomaticus posted:

This is false. An industry is a commercial ecosystem -- economic inputs and outputs. GameStop is a retailer, otherwise known as a distributor. Distribution is very much a part of the business of video games. As such, if you work at GameStop, you work in the retailing segment of the industry. The phrase "in the industry" does not strictly mean that you work at either a developer or a publisher. The phrase "in the industry" does not strictly mean that you only develop or publish AAA games. The phrase "in the industry" also does not strictly mean that you are an artist, designer, programmer, musician, or other creative professional. Such ideas are actually quite harmful to the professional community.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

Transform... for Justice!

Sigma-X posted:

We have 2 full time writers at Volition.

We also have several full time writers at Riot. These positions are out there, but far more rare than others.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

jBusy posted:

We also have several full time writers at Riot. These positions are out there, but far more rare than others.

Place I worked at had a bunch of writers, though they were also subsequently laid off when the project got put on indefinite hold (but it wasn't canned! nosir!)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

jBusy posted:

It strikes me a something that would be hired from within the company when the opportunity comes up - there are a lot of people who WANT to write but as you've said, not that many positions out there. I think most companies would rather put someone they know in the position who's shown an interest and aptitude for writing rather than having to go out and review the work of a bunch of strangers to try to fill the job.

The closest I've seen is a narrative designer position offered at Ubisoft Toronto (which I applied for :downs:), which isn't really the same as "full-time writer".

(tangent: Is there anyone in this thread working at Ubisoft TO? I know there are a few people working at other Ubisoft branches, and the Toronto one is fairly new so odds are slim, but I figure I'd ask anyway)

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
Studios who make MMOs always have lots of writing positions.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone here work or know someone who works at Rocksteady? I've been looking at their website for years and there's just been the same one job advertised on there the whole time. Would be interested to know if they hire through an agency or something.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Black Eagle posted:

This is false. An industry is a commercial ecosystem -- economic inputs and outputs. GameStop is a retailer, otherwise known as a distributor. Distribution is very much a part of the business of video games. As such, if you work at GameStop, you work in the retailing segment of the industry. The phrase "in the industry" does not strictly mean that you work at either a developer or a publisher. The phrase "in the industry" does not strictly mean that you only develop or publish AAA games. The phrase "in the industry" also does not strictly mean that you are an artist, designer, programmer, musician, or other creative professional. Such ideas are actually quite harmful to the professional community.

I know what you're saying but at the same time this thread is really for people in development and publishing and not working the rear end-end of distro part-time because their local Gamestop doesn't hire full-timers except for management.

I am curious as to what harm you see coming from a "working at Gamestop isn't part of the industry" opinion.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

devilmouse posted:

Edit: Sorry for being pedantic!
Wait wait wait wait wait, what.

CMs aren't developers? This is news to me. Do you understand the role of CMs fully? They aren't Public Relations people (it is my opinion that PR folks aren't developers). CMs and all their underlings collect valuable feedback of all kinds and push it back into the development cycle, thus oftentimes changing the game's nature.

Sure, Community Managers aren't programmers or artists, but they're definitely developers and shouldn't be folded in with PR and Marketing.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Imajus posted:

Studios who make MMOs always have lots of writing positions.
This is very, very true. En Masse has a whole team of writers who are pretty drat good at what they do. Hell, they gave a presentation at PAX last year that blew everyone away who attended, and let the crowd give meaning to an NPC in the game who otherwise would have been another throwaway quest giver.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Black Eagle posted:

And my cousin is in the gaming industry because he works as a cashier at wallmart. He should put that on his resume; I can see that going well.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I guess it should be made clearer that this is the Game Production Jobs megathread? Goons will nitpick anything. :psyduck:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I also had a game job in college then! When I was an overnight stocker at Target, I would unpackage the boxes of games and put them in the right spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Jan posted:

I guess it should be made clearer that this is the Game Production Jobs megathread? Goons will nitpick anything. :psyduck:
What, you mean this thread is only for Producers now? You're saying Engineers and Artists aren't welcome? :colbert: