Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If I were you, I'd simply read them in chronological order. That is, in the order they were published, which is mostly the same as plot-chronological-order. You'll jump around between story lines some, but that is okay, and will prevent you from getting jaded with any particular character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sophia posted:

"It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing their windows."

:3:

Also, there is one YA book (Hat Full of Sky) that's not on that diagram but other than that it is good. They should last you awhile!

See, that quote is just perfect. The humor in it is just so fantastic, and did a really good job of hooking me early on.

DontMockMySmock posted:

If I were you, I'd simply read them in chronological order. That is, in the order they were published, which is mostly the same as plot-chronological-order. You'll jump around between story lines some, but that is okay, and will prevent you from getting jaded with any particular character.

Is it possible to get burnt out on a character? I'm really attached to Rincewind, Twoflower, and The Chest right now, and I want to follow them to the end.

e: I guess in addition to my last sentence, how many books end like The Colour of Magic? I can't not go on to the next book in an arc if it ends on a huge cliffhanger like that one does.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 21, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A. Beaverhausen posted:

See, that quote is just perfect. The humor in it is just so fantastic, and did a really good job of hooking me early on.

Is it possible to get burnt out on a character? I'm really attached to Rincewind, Twoflower, and The Chest right now, and I want to follow them to the end.

e: I guess in addition to my last sentence, how many books end like The Colour of Magic? I can't not go on to the next book in an arc if it ends on a huge cliffhanger like that one does.

The "Chest"? I can't figure out if the Luggage would be scarier if it were an enormous ambulatory pair of murderous tits.

But no, there's no more cliffhanger endings, really. Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic are the only two-parters, and for a long time they were the only ones with chapters! The later books are better, I think, but slightly different in tone and composition.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Colour of Magic is the only book that really ends on a cliffhanger, though you might include Sourcery if you're being pedantic but considering the sequel was Eric it isn't that important. The rest of the Discworld books do work as standalone books in my opinion it's just that reading them out of chronological order you get a bit of whiplash from the development in Terry Pratchett's style as well as missing some of the references to older books and events. The Light Fantastic actually has a Mort reference that makes no sense if you haven't read that book for example.

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 21, 2011

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I guess publishing order is the way to go then. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice!

Wait. Mort was published a year after The Light Fantastic. So I read out of publishing order if I want to 'get' that part?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 22, 2011

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah just read them in publishing order, dude may be wrong about Light Fantastic having a Mort reference though since as you say it was written after Light Fantastic.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So I guess publishing order is the way to go then. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice!

Wait. Mort was published a year after The Light Fantastic. So I read out of publishing order if I want to 'get' that part? Ok.

Honestly I came to the Discworld series in a more random way, starting with Guards Guards and moving on to Mort and then whatever I could find at the library so this is the first time I've realised that Mort and Ysabel appeared in the Light Fantastic before Mort. I always assumed that the Light Fantastic was written after Mort, my bad, though it explains why the characters seemed a little off compared to Mort.

To be frank if Colour of Magic didn't turn you off then you'll be fine to either stick to the published order or go by the series reading guide if you'd prefer. As a fan of world building myself I think I prefer the gradual development of the Discworld but I can understand wanting to follow your favourite characters.

Edit: At one point in Light Fantastic Twoflower ends up in Deaths house and the version I read specifically states that Mort is playing cards with the other horsemen while Ysabel tries to keep Rincewind as a guest. So I always assumed it was a reference to the book Mort with him filling in for Death again for some reason.

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 22, 2011

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I went back and read that section again because you made me curious, and it actually looks like Pestilence and the others call Death "Mort" as a nickname, rather than the later character actually being there. It would make more sense that way, too, since they're obviously learning bridge and you only need 4 people (plus Twoflower the instructor) for that. But I would not be at all surprised if that throwaway line was what gave Pratchett the idea for the character name. From what I remember, he seems to do that a lot.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh wow I had completely forgotten about that, it seems like there was a gap of 3 years between CoM and Light Fantastic but then he wrote Equal Rites and Mort in the next year so he probably had an idea of what he wanted to do with Death while he was writing Light Fantastic. He was putting out books at a good clip in those days, two every year between 87 and 93 is nuts.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Sophia posted:

I went back and read that section again because you made me curious, and it actually looks like Pestilence and the others call Death "Mort" as a nickname, rather than the later character actually being there. It would make more sense that way, too, since they're obviously learning bridge and you only need 4 people (plus Twoflower the instructor) for that. But I would not be at all surprised if that throwaway line was what gave Pratchett the idea for the character name. From what I remember, he seems to do that a lot.

That actually makes a lot of sense, it's been a few years since I read The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic so I might do that soon and see for myself.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Got round to watching the tv adaptation of going postal last night. Was put off as I thought hogfather and COM were bloody awfull. Going postal was really impressive though. Great casting, nice effects, the jokes translated well and it just worked on TV. My only criticism was that ankh morpork didnt look grubby or as full of people as it should be. Guess that comes from lack of budget for extras I guess. Hope they do making money next!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Wait. Mort was published a year after The Light Fantastic. So I read out of publishing order if I want to 'get' that part?

Publishing order is the way to go if you've already started with Colour of Magic. It'll keep up a nice variety of different characters and parts of the world.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Sophia posted:

Pestilence and the others call Death "Mort" as a nickname, rather than the later character actually being there.
Yes, it's a joke. Mort = Morte = Death. Plus if I remember right, in the book Mort, there's a line where Death asks Mort his name, and Mort says something like, "Mortimer, sir. They call me Mort." And Death says, "WHAT A COINCIDENCE."

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Penguingo posted:

Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic are the only two-parters

I'm pretty sure Witches Abroad and Lords & Ladies were something close to a two parter.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrawmanUK posted:

Got round to watching the tv adaptation of going postal last night. Was put off as I thought hogfather and COM were bloody awfull. Going postal was really impressive though. Great casting, nice effects, the jokes translated well and it just worked on TV. My only criticism was that ankh morpork didnt look grubby or as full of people as it should be. Guess that comes from lack of budget for extras I guess. Hope they do making money next!
Well, that made me waste 60 minutes waiting for it to get good.

They've cast Vetinari well, but otherwise it was even worse than Hogfather.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

StrawmanUK posted:

My only problem with the Going Postal TV series is that there was a Terry Pratchett book with that same title, and, coincidentally, it had many of the same character names and a few of the same plot points. While I was watching it, I kept thinking of that book and how much I'd like to see an adaptation of it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The Pratchett TV specials are ALWAYS terrible. The cartoons are just painful.

I don't understand why, either. British television is famous for its dry wit and humor, yet none of them seemed to grasp Pratchett's jokes and prose.

It doesn't make sense. Like, they could have watched Blackadder and got tons of examples of timing and inspiration for historical/anachronistic humor. It's not like a big budget helps; the effects weren't much in this day and age.

:smith: Pratchett's works deserve better treatment than this.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Mister Roboto posted:

The Pratchett TV specials are ALWAYS terrible. The cartoons are just painful.

I don't understand why, either. British television is famous for its dry wit and humor, yet none of them seemed to grasp Pratchett's jokes and prose.

It doesn't make sense. Like, they could have watched Blackadder and got tons of examples of timing and inspiration for historical/anachronistic humor. It's not like a big budget helps; the effects weren't much in this day and age.

:smith: Pratchett's works deserve better treatment than this.

Here's hoping the fan-funded Snowgum Films version of Troll Bridge turns out all right...

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I've only ever seen the cartoon of Soul Music, but I always thought they captured that one pretty well. I really liked the way they did the pivotal song at the end. Maybe that makes me a Pratchett-traitor. :smith:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The adaptation of Going Postal is pretty good, you're all crazy :argh:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Going Postal changes some stuff significantly from the book's version, and the golems are terrible, but I really enjoyed it. Had a great knockabout atmosphere, treating post office logistics like a heist movie.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

John Dough posted:

The adaptation of Going Postal is pretty good, you're all crazy :argh:

I've just bought it and am sorta looking forward to see it. But what was wrong with Hogfather? I found it pretty good.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Iacen posted:

I've just bought it and am sorta looking forward to see it. But what was wrong with Hogfather? I found it pretty good.

The title in the UK was Hogfather, Starting David Jason! while it should have been Hogfather, staring Death!

And David Jason played Albert as a "loverly, cheery, always laughing" role. That's not loving Albert.

Albert blew up a pub because the landlord had the audacity to remind Albert that he had a thousand year unpaid bar tab.

And don't get me started on the Auditors. Each one had so much personality that they should have winked out of existence faster than the speed of a Monarch.

And what the gently caress was with Veterinary lisping?

And as for Colour of Magic, why was Twoflower American and not Asian!?

GOD!

...I feel better now.

[edit] Going Postal was awesome, the acting was top notch, the golems where great, considering the concept they had to work with, and while the plot changes where unexpected, I know a scene in a book sometimes just doesn't work when put in film, so all in all, I loved Going Postal.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 23, 2011

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

I really liked the voicework of the Wyrd Sisters cartoon, particularly for Granny and Nanny Ogg.

The animation though was pretty bad.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

People well cast and acting good in Going Postal (aka the only good parts):
Vetinari, Drumknott, Stanley, Groat.

Both Moist and Gilt were utter poo poo, both in terms of casting and script (which was enough to bury the production right there).

The narrative changes were downright baffling, the whole letter confession angle was stupid, and the golems were really really terrible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ak Gara posted:

And what the gently caress was with Veterinary lisping?

That was Jeremy Irons trying to sound like Terry. :/

I thought Moist was well cast. That sort of chancer attitude was well brought across.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Xander77 posted:

People well cast and acting good in Going Postal (aka the only good parts):
Vetinari, Drumknott, Stanley, Groat.

Both Moist and Gilt were utter poo poo, both in terms of casting and script (which was enough to bury the production right there).

The narrative changes were downright baffling, the whole letter confession angle was stupid, and the golems were really really terrible.

I liked the casting of Moist, but then again, I watched Coupling. Gilt, maybe, but that's more cause the change of character. Drumknott's character was also changed, but I liked the change better.

Like others said, it woulda been hard to do a full complete translation ,so I liked what they did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

bunnyofdoom posted:

Like others said, it woulda been hard to do a full complete translation ,so I liked what they did.

The changes were fine, because problems arise when you try and be too slavish to the source material. See Hogfather for this. Hogfather could have done with serious trimming to the plot.

Izz
May 1, 2006

The Wee Free Men is being made available to read online for free. Chapters 1-4 are available until 05/08, with chapters 5-9 becoming available 06/08.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh wow that's great timing, my readthrough of every Discworld book has been on hold because I can't find that exact book. Was going to go and buy it again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

And David Jason played Albert as a "loverly, cheery, always laughing" role. That's not loving Albert.

If I remember correctly that how he was in the book, but then again Albert spent most of his time in Hogfather being drunk.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Going Postal changes some stuff significantly from the book's version, and the golems are terrible, but I really enjoyed it. Had a great knockabout atmosphere, treating post office logistics like a heist movie.

It kinda runs out of steam in the second part though.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

If I remember correctly that how he was in the book, but then again Albert spent most of his time in Hogfather being drunk.

I think you're mis-remembering, at least in Mort and Soul Music.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Alhazred posted:

He was pretty chuffed at getting to tank a million sherries, but also helluva worried cause Death was acting weird, and at one point he even threatens to abbreviate a page.

jfjnpxmy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 29, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OSheaman posted:

I think you're mis-remembering, at least in Mort and Soul Music.

In those books he was sober.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

jfjnpxmy posted:

He was pretty chuffed at getting to tank a million sherries, but also helluva worried cause Death was acting weird, and at one point he even threatens to abbreviate a page.

That's still one of my favourite jokes he's ever done.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ok, here's a question that bothers me every time I read the Monstrous Regiment:
Polly sits down with Jackrum at the very end, Jackrum mentions being a part of the Thin Red lines that turned aside the charge of the Heavy Brigade - so far, so good, fairly neat conflation of references.

Then we get "I saved the imperial flag from four real bastards in Raladan". I've got nothing, the annotated Pratchett people got nothing... is that a reference, and what to if it is?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Is that not him being a standard bearer and personally killing four men during a backstory-fluff battle? I don't think it's him foiling some sort of conspiracy of people who want to piss on a flag, or something.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's a competition to win a copy of Snuff two months before it comes out, it was going to be a Facebook thing but something got messed up, so you just email discworld@transworld-publishers.co.uk with your name and the answer to the question "What is the 25th Discworld novel?" and you get entered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hey guys! Remember that lovely "Which Discworld characters appear in the first chapter of Snuff" thing I posted earlier?

I'd like to draw your attention to this page where you can read a sample from Snuff.
I'd gather it's around three pages or something like that and sure as hell won't read it, but here you are.