Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Dominic White posted:

Edit: Is there a high-res monster pack anywhere? It's kinda weird seing these super-blocky, blurrily textured enemies in such a luciously detailed environment.

Reforged is what you're looking for.
http://quakeone.com/reforged/

On the topic of Quake, Darkplaces has given me grief with dirty/gritty/difficult to read font textures and I haven't been able to fix it through the menu, config or with alternate font packs. Fitzquake is looking pretty nice and I'm thinking about switching. Is Darkplaces still the source port of choice?

For reference:

treat fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

treat posted:

Reforged is what you're looking for.
http://quakeone.com/reforged/

On the topic of Quake, Darkplaces has given me grief with dirty/gritty/difficult to read font textures and I haven't been able to fix it through the menu, config or with alternate font packs. Fitzquake is looking pretty nice and I'm thinking about switching. Is Darkplaces still the source port of choice?

Darkplaces seems to be the one most widely used. And the menus are pretty grungy no matter what texture pack you use. The QRP menus (part of their heaving pile o' textures) aren't too bad though, and, let's face it, you're not going to be staring at menus once you've got your settings worked out anyway.

Also, thanks! All I need now is a weapons pack and everything will be modernized.

Edit: That is, a weapon model pack. The weapon skins are updated by QRP.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 27, 2011

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

JerryLee posted:

This made me load up the level and see if my memory was playing tricks on me about how much space was to be had. Turns out there's more than enough room to fight the Cyberdemon the normal way, considering that with the Cyber immobile "enough room" is basically asking "Do you have about 192 units in which to strafe left and right? Y/N."

Yet another reason to love brutal doom is that (for me at least, on Ultra Violence) the Cyberdemon isn't immobile and he gets to come right out. Apparently he can step up over the boundary there, so telefragging isn't possible. It was a hell of a fight! :)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

^^^^^^

Alright so I'm not crazy!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Roobanguy posted:

I'm using brutal doom, but I don't think that changes any enemy spawns. The cyberdemon was also right at the end, after opening the blue key pillar.
actually never mind, I'm just a doofus and mixed up "The Shores Of Hell" with "Thy Flesh Consumed"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

superh posted:

Yet another reason to love brutal doom is that (for me at least, on Ultra Violence) the Cyberdemon isn't immobile and he gets to come right out. Apparently he can step up over the boundary there, so telefragging isn't possible. It was a hell of a fight! :)

He's still there (and still mobile) on Hurt Me Plenty, too. I ended up just running past him.

God I hate that episode. I'm six levels into Doom 2 now and liking it a lot more than Thy Flesh Consumed.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just wait until you get to the city levels. Or monster condo.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

You totally break the zombie sergeants neck when you back punch them. I really like that detail for something you won't see very often.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

an_mutt posted:

There's a teleporter just before the blue block/door thing that allows you to telefrag the Cyberdemon, I think.

Uh, yeah. Make sure you're not using ReDoom when you do this.

Seriously.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread yet, but my Q1 source port of choice is QuakeSpasm: http://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/

It's a fork of FitzQuake that adds Linux (SDL) and 64-bit support, as well as some minor bug fixes and enhancements. It's the best "vanilla" Quake port I've come across so far. That, and FitzQuake doesn't appear to be under active development anymore.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

justbread posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in this thread yet, but my Q1 source port of choice is QuakeSpasm: http://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/

It's a fork of FitzQuake that adds Linux (SDL) and 64-bit support, as well as some minor bug fixes and enhancements. It's the best "vanilla" Quake port I've come across so far. That, and FitzQuake doesn't appear to be under active development anymore.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

How does everyone feel about saving and loading while playing Doom? I find myself saving fairly often, but it really does sort of ruin the challenge, doesn't it...

Maybe if I knew the levels a bit better, but when I'm playing a level the first time, there are so many lovely "hey, monster appears behind you" moments that you can't really be blamed for getting hosed up.

But maybe I should try to save at the beginning of the level only. Or not even that, and simply pistol start if I gently caress up. It'll be like Dungeon Crawl!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If I had to replay a 500 or even 200 monster map from the beginning every time I died, I probably wouldn't play Doom.

Quicksave is there for a reason. It's not cheating.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chinook posted:

How does everyone feel about saving and loading while playing Doom? I find myself saving fairly often, but it really does sort of ruin the challenge, doesn't it...

A guy from my hometown had the SuperNES version. You haven't seen "challenge" until you play the game with no save feature whatsoever (not even a password) at 15 frames per second. :suicide:

Oh also monster infighting wasn't included in that version either.

EDIT: To actually answer your question: what the guy above me said.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I take it on a map by map basis. I'll save at the start as to not lose my progress, but avoid quick saving.

I find that quick saving in most games--even though it's just a moment--pulls you out of the action and eliminates a lot of tension. When you quick save, you're effectively stepping back into your comfort zone by giving yourself a brief respite. I feel that an ability to step back and relax at will is deeply detrimental to the budding sensations a game can incite by pulling you right out of the thick of it. Just having the option to quicksave sometimes pulls me out of the moment by just knowing it's there tempting me.

It's the thrill, the adrenaline. The constant volley between moments of fear and smug rear end kicking. Not to mention, when you complete a difficult map without the crutch of a quicksave, the satisfaction is magnified.

I've always been primarily attracted to playing games for challenge, though. Plot/immersion/atmosphere/aesthetics don't typically interest me at all.

That said, gently caress Thy Flesh Consumed right in the dick.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Darkplaces model pack, and rygels texture pack are something to behold. Having real time world lighting, with the correct console variables set makes the game even scarier. Your own shadow could appear to be an enemy lurking!

The Nehahra intro was so loving long. I was not expecting that. It did get the feeling right, especially since the game seems very hard, to me.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

JerryLee posted:

If I had to replay a 500 or even 200 monster map from the beginning every time I died, I probably wouldn't play Doom.

Quicksave is there for a reason. It's not cheating.
I've played games without a manual save feature for so long I pretty much never use quicksaves because I never actually remember it exists. The only reason I never lose progress is because of the autosaves at the beginning of each level. :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kazvall posted:

The Darkplaces model pack, and rygels texture pack are something to behold. Having real time world lighting, with the correct console variables set makes the game even scarier. Your own shadow could appear to be an enemy lurking!

I slightly prefer the Quake Revitalization Project textures. They just seem a little closer to the originals. At max detail, it still looks fantastic though.

Oh, one Darkplaces related question: How do I get it to properly use my 5.1 speaker set? It seems to only output as stereo right now.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Chinook posted:

Maybe if I knew the levels a bit better, but when I'm playing a level the first time, there are so many lovely "hey, monster appears behind you" moments that you can't really be blamed for getting hosed up.

But maybe I should try to save at the beginning of the level only. Or not even that, and simply pistol start if I gently caress up. It'll be like Dungeon Crawl!
I'm a bit of a Doom purist zealot, so take this as you will, but Doom and Doom 2 had their levels designed and balanced around playing them from a pistol start without saving and in my opinion play way better if you do so. I personally will play every level from a pistol start without saving (my prBoom+ has no save files at all, when I put down a wad and come back to it later I just IDCLEV to the level I was at before).

Even after successfully completing a level I will immediately IDCLEV to the next level to revert myself to a pistol start. Carrying weapons, ammo and armour from the previous level is in most cases equivalent to using IDFA at the start and completely breaks most of the levels. Especially that Super Shotgun, 1/3rd of the levels in Doom 2 don't even have it. Usually when you see someone saying that the 3rd episode of Doom or the city levels in Doom2 suck, they've never played them from a pistol start and have yet to realise that they are in fact the best levels :colbert:. In my mind, playing the levels without any knowledge of where things are in this way is even more fun.

OK so I've been hamming up the elitism, but let me be completely serious for a second. Playing MAP16 from a pistol start with no saving on UV was the single most enjoyable, most exhilarating experience I have ever had in all of videogaming and changed the way I looked at FPS games forever. No lie. Sure it took over 50 attempts, but being chased across a big open non-linear level by an archville that you literally do not have the firepower to take on while trying to find any weaponry whatsoever was something that you won't really find in any FPS these days. Planning a route to go through the level in was never something I'd have to consider until I played Tricks and Traps from pistol start and boy was it fun.

Ultimately though it's a bit of a niche style of entertainment and you're either gonna love it or hate it, but you should at least give it a go, it's almost kind of roguelike-y to be honest but with persistent levels. However, dying repeatedly to all sorts of bullshit will happen constantly as even hell knights go from "improved imps" to "harbringers of death" when you're not starting with blue armour. Finally you keep the following three things in mind:

1) Check the compatability options of your source port and ensure that a "lost soul limit" is turned ON or else MAP09 will be insanely unfun.
2) Barrels of Fun sucks almighty rear end regardless.
3) ZDoom autosaves at the start of the level to ensure Heretic style Hub levels work and so starting over from a pistol start isn't the default behaviour unless you turn this feature off. Personally I just use a different source port.

Now where's that goonsay smiley?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

H2Omelon posted:

Now where's that goonsay smiley?

:goonsay:

Right there. But thanks for your comments; it's sort of what I wanted to see someone say. I think after I beat both Doom and Doom 2 with the brutal mod on UV, I'll switch to 'permadeath' mode and try on Hurt Me Plenty (3/5, right?) first.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Scoredoom has an option for hardcore mode, which is just no saving mid-level, and it makes the game a hundred times more fun. Especially with something like Alien Vendetta. And the online hi-score tables let everyone know how awesome I am! :haw:

The Big D
Oct 3, 2002
I didn't come to play any of these, but I wanted to say to Kins it was a nicely written stroll down memory lane for me. I played almost every one of these and think i may try to play one again but fear im too spoiled now.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The Big D posted:

but fear im too spoiled now.

You might be surprised.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chinook posted:

You might be surprised.

You WILL be surprised. A huge chunk of the Doom community these days are under 20, which would imply that the game was 'before their time', but they've discovered it and gotten hooked comparatively recently. A lot of these games are considered classics for very good reasons, and the best ones just haven't aged, thanks to community efforts to keep them polished and accessible.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Chinook posted:

:goonsay:

Right there. But thanks for your comments; it's sort of what I wanted to see someone say. I think after I beat both Doom and Doom 2 with the brutal mod on UV, I'll switch to 'permadeath' mode and try on Hurt Me Plenty (3/5, right?) first.
Oh did you mean restarting the entire episode/wad from scratch when you die or just the level? Personally I'd advise just doing Ultra Violence one level at a time from a pistol start each time. The original Doom is also fun this way although I find Episode 4 a bit of a chore.

Kakumei posted:

Scoredoom has an option for hardcore mode, which is just no saving mid-level, and it makes the game a hundred times more fun. Especially with something like Alien Vendetta. And the online hi-score tables let everyone know how awesome I am! :haw:
Seconding that Scoredoom is pretty awesome, but the one thorn in my side about it is that if you want to just go for a single level score, there's no consistent starting point between players. If for example I wanted to set the high score for Doom2's MAP16 I'd have to do at least the two secret levels as "prep" ending them with full health and armour and a BFG with 600 cells otherwise I'd never be able to set a high score because obviously starting out fully kitted up rather than a pistol start will let me cause more carnage in a shorter time and thus score better. Then if I wanted to do MAP17 I'd have to repeat the entire process only also trying to finish MAP16 with as many resources as possible. There's no distinction between setting a level hi-score on it's own and setting one as part of a full wad score, and both require different strategies to maximise the score.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

H2Omelon posted:

Oh did you mean restarting the entire episode/wad from scratch when you die or just the level? Personally I'd advise just doing Ultra Violence one level at a time from a pistol start each time. The original Doom is also fun this way although I find Episode 4 a bit of a chore.

No, just one level at a time. I think I'll try it!

I also share your concerns about Scoredoom. Every level should have a pistol-start leaderboard, as well as whatever else. (For all I know that's the case, but it is sort of lovely if not)

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'd just like to point out that if you're playing Brutal Doom with the fatalities disabled, you're not playing it right.

Whoops, page breaking screenie, let me just resize it.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Are there any other Doom mods that add in ironsights?
I don't like Real Guns Hardcore at all, but I like using ironsights with brutal doom's assault rifle, no matter how useless it is, I'd like to see some on pistols, mayhaps a desert eagle.

That being said is there any updates on that Project MSX mod? I haven't heard anything in a few months.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've been playing around with hosting a Brutal Doom coop server with zpack, but many of those maps are a little too rough for 1 life survival coop. Instead, I'd like to do either one of two things:

Either A) respawn with default health and pistol only, but I'd like to add a respawn timer to make dying just a bit more detrimental. Say, 30 seconds or so.

or B) keep the 1 life per player in survival coop, and have the map change to the next in rotation once the last player dies rather than restarting the same map.

Are there some custom parameters that will allow me to do either/both of these?

treat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 28, 2011

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Anyone from the Halflife mod days ever played "Science & Industry" mod?

It was probably my favorite mod ever, I was involved with lots of clan stuff for a lot of years. It was a small community, but a strong one.

The mod was a ridiculous premise. Two corporations warring against each other, whoever had the most money at the end wins, you get money by researching technologies, you research technologies by capturing your opponents assets in the form of scientists, technology (weapons they drop), and some maps had objectives to collect as well.

Was freaking amazingly well balanced, with many strats and possible outcomes. Really great game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

The Big D posted:

I didn't come to play any of these, but I wanted to say to Kins it was a nicely written stroll down memory lane for me. I played almost every one of these and think i may try to play one again but fear im too spoiled now.

Doom is the most purely distilled first person shooter and remains solid fun to today. You haven't been spoiled by recent games, you've been corrupted!

After playing modern shooters for a while, dipping back into Doom makes it feel fresher than ever. You can turn it on, switch your mind off, get playing and enjoy the violence.

If you want a more modern experience I strongly suggest installing Brutal Doom which turns the game into a much crazier, much bloodier affair. It really transforms the game into something that feels fresh and new, you'll have a lot of fun either way.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

Anyone from the Halflife mod days ever played "Science & Industry" mod?

It was probably my favorite mod ever, I was involved with lots of clan stuff for a lot of years. It was a small community, but a strong one.

The mod was a ridiculous premise. Two corporations warring against each other, whoever had the most money at the end wins, you get money by researching technologies, you research technologies by capturing your opponents assets in the form of scientists, technology (weapons they drop), and some maps had objectives to collect as well.

Was freaking amazingly well balanced, with many strats and possible outcomes. Really great game.
YES god drat it I loved this game, it was amazing. It's sad that the Source sequal never really took off the ground (at least from what I can see) I never got the hang of the advanced movement stuff, but it was a shitload of fun and had a cool array of gadgets. Half-life had the best mods, it's sad that we'll never really go through that time again since most mods either set the bar low or most new games don't let you mod them. I think my favourite moment in that mod was being chased by an enemy agent into a dark reactor room and actually HIDING from him in the shadows where he couldn't see me. He ran back out and forgot about me. You can't repeat that in singleplayer, you can't ever hide from or not be seen by AI since it always knows exactly where you are, it just fakes not knowing to various degress.

I also loved a mod for Half-life called Syndicate Black Ops. It's gameplay is completely broken and you die in about 1 hit from a enemy soldier, but that just made it incredibly fun and challenging when played in co-op. You had a bunch of weapons which also did absurd damage, and you had limited amounts of lives to complete a level in. I like Sven co-op alot but it never feels challenging compared to Black ops. E.Y.E is made by the same people and set in the same universe, and it looks loving awesome as well. I really hope the release date is tommorow like it's been speculated.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Probably a dumb question but would there be any way of making a PWAD that automatically starts a new level with just a pistol? IDCLEV isn't a huge inconvenience but it'd be nice to get it done automatically...

e: grammar

Convex fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 28, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Convex posted:

Probably a dumb question but would there be any way of making a PWAD that automatically starts a new level with just a pistol? IDCLEV isn't a huge inconvenience but it's be nice just set something up to do it automatically...

I think you'd have to set up a script for each map that takes your weapons away once it loads, so it's not really practical. As far as I know you can't make that sort of script without referencing the individual map, so it won't just be a "For any map: Take all weapons away except the pistol" kind of deal.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You could always just end your levels on a sector 11 floor, or otherwise kill the player on each exit. (Speed of Doom did this a few times)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Convex posted:

Probably a dumb question but would there be any way of making a PWAD that automatically starts a new level with just a pistol? IDCLEV isn't a huge inconvenience but it'd be nice to get it done automatically...

e: grammar

Can't test it right now but https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16481 might do it.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dominic White posted:

I slightly prefer the Quake Revitalization Project textures. They just seem a little closer to the originals. At max detail, it still looks fantastic though.

Oh, one Darkplaces related question: How do I get it to properly use my 5.1 speaker set? It seems to only output as stereo right now.

Hey, try out the Darkplaces-sdl.exe, the regular DP.exe is only in stereo. Cheers!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

Can't test it right now but https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16481 might do it.

Works great, thanks! (only tested on Doom 2 so far)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

tooooooo bad posted:

PistolStartEnforcer is great, but TacticalChainsaw is incredible. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with brutal doom, which is quite sad considering how well it fits. If you haven't tried it out, TacticalChainsaw simply gives the chainsaw an alt-fire which ejects the blade as a gravity affected projectile that deals 40 damage to any enemy it hits. Picking the blade up or grabbing another chainsaw reloads it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

Well I'll be damned, that uses a script to take away every weapon and give you the pistol back as soon as you enter a map. I shouldn't have opened my mouth.