Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
Just get a Garrity disposable LED and a big rubberband. As for the chest lights or big ones on straps, if your FD doesn't have them for you to use and you're going to buy one, just donate it to have it mounted with the charger in the rig or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Got to put out my first fire in anger today. And learned Port-a-Johns BURN like you wouldn't believe. We literally arrived to find nothing but a pile of burning offal, and a puddle of melted plastic re-solidified halfway down a small incline.

Making poo poo related puns for the rest of the week now.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The practical is way easier than everyone made it out to be.

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cage Kicker posted:

The practical is way easier than everyone made it out to be.

Yeah, it really isn't that bad. How many practical stations did you have? We had 10 for FFI and 2 for FFII

What all did you have to do?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

invision posted:

I would totally drive the gently caress out of that.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Marx posted:

I would totally drive the gently caress out of that.

It ran and was driveable. Then we rolled the dash and broke the steering column. We realized how big of a mistake that was immediately after it happened.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS-RNNNyqgc

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Busy week or something? Also, disturbing lack of "current POV setup".

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

Busy week or something? Also, disturbing lack of "current POV setup".

This weekend has been horrible. 1k+ acre fire on saturday, seperate 1k+ acre fire today. We have a 4 lane highway thats seperated by a median that is about 15 feet wide. The treeline on either side of the road is a good 8 to 10 feet away from the road. We were in the median trying to put out a spot when it loving ROLLED OVER THE TOP TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GODDAMN ROAD. I've never seen so many grown men freak out so bad in my life.

I'm literally behind the big rear end wall of flames in the second picture.
The news clip gives a better idea of how intense this thing was.

http://www.12newsnow.com/category/177961/video?clipId=5923948&autostart=true

and here are a bunch of youtube videos I found from one of those "stop on the road and film poo poo" people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA2RYKGdZOE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBlEDM9DqEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Qg3R6aioQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA2RYKGdZOE

invision fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 6, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Another 1k+ acre fire today, with a different 100 acre fire and then someone tried to set fire to the side of the road. Someone needs their rear end kicked.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

People already shooting fireworks, and it's not even dark yet.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
Give it a little time and you'll have some grass fires.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
:j: 'A firecracker went off near my precious angel and he's crying now please help.'

:shepface: No sign of injury, no deficits - you sure you want us to take your kid to the hospital? If he's still fussy you can always hit up a walk-in in the morning.

:j: 'WHAT DO I PAY TAXES FOR ARRRRRG!'

:siren: 1 hour later :siren:

Doctor: Your kid is fine, enjoy your huge ER bill

:j: 'Better safe than sorry TEE-HEE.'

:shepicide:

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

Marx posted:

:j: 'A firecracker went off near my precious angel and he's crying now please help.'

:shepface: No sign of injury, no deficits - you sure you want us to take your kid to the hospital? If he's still fussy you can always hit up a walk-in in the morning.

:j: 'WHAT DO I PAY TAXES FOR ARRRRRG!'

:siren: 1 hour later :siren:

Doctor: Your kid is fine, enjoy your huge ER bill

:j: 'Better safe than sorry TEE-HEE.'

:shepicide:

gently caress those people. They pay taxes so they can unreasonably tie up emergency services and lower the service other people receive at that time? It makes me sick.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
Just letting invision or any other TX FF goons know that Plano FD is testing in september.

Only catch is none of you fuckers can score higher than me. :v:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Crazy Dutchman posted:

Just letting invision or any other TX FF goons know that Plano FD is testing in september.

Only catch is none of you fuckers can score higher than me. :v:

Thanks for the heads up. It's not on the TCFP jobs site for some reason.

e:south padre is also hiring. What a sweet job that would be.

invision fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 16, 2011

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
FDNY is having a firefighter test again. Anybody can sign up by September 15th. Unfortunately if you aren't a veteran, able to claim city residency credit, or someone in EMS going the promotional route (like me) you are probably screwed.

ReebTop
May 17, 2003

Kashew posted:

gently caress those people. They pay taxes so they can unreasonably tie up emergency services and lower the service other people receive at that time? It makes me sick.

Even better is when they use the tax complaint when you work for a private company.

"I pay my taxes!"
"And I thank you for that, citizen, but your taxes don't pay my bills."

Or the indigent folks in government housing, on food stamps and Medicaid at 30 years old, dressed fly as hell and telling me I have to take them to a hospital 20 minutes away, as opposed to the local city hospital 3 minutes out, because they're "paying for this ride." I was a bit more burnt at the time, and actually replied to that guy by as follows:

"Sir, do you have Medicaid?"
"Yeah, I do."
"Then I'm paying for this ride, and we'll go where I want."

To the city hospital it was.

Additionally:
Who's going to the Baltimore Expo this year? Anybody?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Anyone going to A&M this month?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

First on scene to a fire today, tried the door, then kicked it open. Lady standing in the doorway goes WELL I WAS COMING TO THE DOOR YOU DIDNT HAVE TO KICK IT OPEN. UGH.

sorry lady :(

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

FDNY is having a firefighter test again. Anybody can sign up by September 15th. Unfortunately if you aren't a veteran, able to claim city residency credit, or someone in EMS going the promotional route (like me) you are probably screwed.

GOOD LUCK!

Also, faux pas on the job are so lame.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

invision posted:

First on scene to a fire today, tried the door, then kicked it open. Lady standing in the doorway goes WELL I WAS COMING TO THE DOOR YOU DIDNT HAVE TO KICK IT OPEN. UGH.

sorry lady :(

Well was there actually a fire in there?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

Well was there actually a fire in there?

Yep.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Update from a&m annual fire school and firetruck expo extravaganza 2011: fire truck with a boat and coffee maker.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

invision posted:

Update from a&m annual fire school and firetruck expo extravaganza 2011: fire truck with a boat and coffee maker.

It makes both boats and coffee? Impressive

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Also hurst has battery powered jaws. Theyre awesome.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

Also hurst has battery powered jaws. Theyre awesome.

Well how else is the animatronic doll of Jaws powered if not by battery? :frogsiren:

How many people here have officer-side speedometers in their rigs?

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

invision posted:

I went to A&M a couple of years back when I was a jolly volly. It is a good school, but it is redneck central, and I'm from east Texas. Lots of drunken volunteers with $2000 worth of lights on their personal vehicle and carrying their pager around even though they are 200 miles from home. :v:
What class are you taking?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Awww yeah! Got my Basic Vehicle Rescue scores back - and got my first actually useful certification in something!

Plus it came with a couple of patches that - being a probie - I don't have a class A uniform to sew them onto yet.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
You get patches for vehicle rescue?
We don't even have certs for that, its just part of basic certification.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pennsylvania will give certs / patches for just about anything.

Heck, we get a Cert every time we clear one section of the Fire Fighter I Certification. That's right, a certification for each section that adds up to another certification.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't come out the way I meant it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I am going through the process right now, got a 95/100 on my written test and aced the physical practice run-through. My actual PT is in about two weeks. After that I expect to be put in the queue for anywhere from a couple months to a couple years. Looking forward to it.

Duh, meant to ask this. I'm considering joining the National Guard to be EXTRA MANLY -- are fire shifts generally flexible for ONE WEEKENED A MONTH TWO WEEKS A YEAR guard duty?

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 29, 2011

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Duh, meant to ask this. I'm considering joining the National Guard to be EXTRA MANLY -- are fire shifts generally flexible for ONE WEEKENED A MONTH TWO WEEKS A YEAR guard duty?

It depends on where you go, just like any job I guess. I mean, technically they're obligated to be flexible though of course they have ways of circumventing that if they want to give you a hard time.

I'd say a solid tenth of my department is either National Guard or Reservist and we haven't had any issues to date. So, yeah, your mileage may vary.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Are the guys who fly the planes and helicopters that drop stuff members of the Department or do most places contract that out?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Are the guys who fly the planes and helicopters that drop stuff members of the Department or do most places contract that out?

Forest service contracts out almost all of the air support, but will sometimes use national guard, in my experience.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

WELL HERES SOME PICS

Compartment Boat (Also has a compartment mounted coffee maker and fridge.)

Battery powered Hurst Spreaders. These things are awesome. They're actually faster than the TnT tools we use.

Here's some poo poo that caught on fire or whatever

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

I am going through the process right now, got a 95/100 on my written test and aced the physical practice run-through. My actual PT is in about two weeks. After that I expect to be put in the queue for anywhere from a couple months to a couple years. Looking forward to it.

I know my friend in the Marines wasn't allowed to do anything firematic when he was home, because technically he's government property and if anything happened to him the FD would be liable. He also couldn't get the permission of his CO. He was active duty, so it may be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
I'm sure that was because he was still considered active duty.

As far as the original question goes: Generally it's always seemed like fire departments are ultra cool with people who serve, and work with ya. Plus the 24 on 48/72 off is a pretty flexible schedule anyways.

• Locked thread