Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Drifter posted:

My Overpants (left leg) is completely shredded at the knee, but the knee guards kept my leg from getting hurt at all (I wear HT Air 2.0 overpants - I'll be buying another pair).

Were you wearing supplemental knee pads? Or was your knee protection all from the HT Air 2.0?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Probably Hates You posted:

Have surgery on Tues. to get it aligned, they say it'll be about 3 months before I can get back on a bike. Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of breaks? Any idea of what to expect after it's "healed?"

I broke my collar bone the same way when I was a kid in an impact/rolling accident. It healed fine, I throw like a sissy now.
Lief is he'll when it's healing. Everyday things like sitting up, rolling out of bed, showering, door knobs, EVERYHING is hell. Invest in spray on deodarn, your roll on days are over this summer!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ziploc posted:

Were you wearing supplemental knee pads? Or was your knee protection all from the HT Air 2.0?

I was just wearing the integrated pads that came with the pants - some sort of impact hardening foam. Trouble is, with overpants you have to spend a ride or two really trying to align the pads correctly within the pants (they attach with a bunch of velcro) or else they're just gonna be either too high or too low when you actually do need them. The other thing that I liked was having at least some type of padding around my hips.

ProbablyHatesYou - Thanks. I'll see what the policy says, helmet included it's easily $700 dollars worth of gear brand new. I can't imagine the pain in the rear end having a broken collarbone is going to be for you, brotha.

I really liked that style of bike. Although, the 250 wasn't as aggressively seated forward as a normal sportbike. Maybe I'd get a bike like Z3n had been riding around in a bit ago - some sort of supermoto thing. We'll see.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 4, 2011

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I was wearing the same pants when I had my wreck late last year and I came out of it with only a spot of rash on my left knee. But that had more to do with my leg being trapped under the bike as it slid than a shortcoming with the pants. I bought another pair immediately. They would be great pants for twice what I paid at New Enough.

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you
Low-sided today going down Highway 236, Santa Cruz mountains. Was going into a down hill u turn with gravel on all over the road. I knew it was coming up as i had just been threw their 4 days ago. Took it down to second and was going maybe 15-20mph and the back just went out mid turn.

The engine guard took most of the damage to the bike thankfully. Left mirror broke and clutch lever is a little scratched up.

I have a small scuff on my left forearm and that is it. Was in full gear and it did a pretty good job.

Gear List:Alpinestar stunt jacket, teknic mercury pants, cortech vice gloves, and Gaerne Supermoto Boots.

The Turn

The Bike

The Arm

:edit:For gear photos

Lunchb0x fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 8, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I know this sucks, glad you're ok, but believe me, this is AWESOME because you just crashed without super major damage, and next time you can think 'well poo poo, worst case scenario, I scratch that big metal bar again'.

Except for the mirror, obviously.

Think about how much fun you're having. THINK ABOUT IT.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I have that same jacket, any idea why you got the scuff on your forearm?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Looks like a friction burn, probably just from rubbing on the jacket's liner/armor.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Looks like a friction burn, probably just from rubbing on the jacket's liner/armor.

Another crash caused by masturbation. How many times have I told you guys--you have to pick a bike that vibrates at a frequency which doesn't stimulate your prostate, and if it does, for the love of god get a seat that dampens it so you can concentrate.

Why do you think harley riders never use the front brake?!

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
Good job managing to crash with all your gear on. A lot of the past posts had people sans boots, pants, whatever and it certainly showed. All you have to show for it is a scratch and that's fantastic if you ask me. Hope you are doing well!

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Bingo!

I'm just glade i didn't need a tow or a hospital visit. And i have a reason to buy new shiny things for it.

I had to push start it though. It just slightly bent the clutch lever enough to give to much play in the cable to us the electric start(Have to have the clutch pulled to start).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nsaP posted:

Tipped my bike stupidly today. I was just doing a U-turn on a 1.5 lane backroad and ran out of road. Instead of stopping and duck walking it I thought I could make it on the little bit of grass on the side. I didn't.

Front tire went over the slight drop in the road into the grass, I might have been fine but underneath the grass it was just muck. Even with the bars turned, the tire just slipped and momentum kept me moving the same angle I left the road at, and right for drainage run off that was a 6 inches deep with water. Grabbed the front brake at that point and tipped the bike in the mud.

Only damage was a turn signal popping out of it's mount and my pride, along with a slightly tweaked back from picking it up myself in the mud (thanks, MSF, for teaching me how to pick it up by facing away from it, probably would have struggled without that). I shut it off immediately and after picking it up and turning the key off and back on, it started right up. I took a few advil and cleaned it up. I don't think you could tell which side it went down on, so I lucked out really. Only damage as far as I can tell is from my formative years on it, and pictures I was taking to trade it potentially back that up, so I don't feel too bad.

A noob mistake on my part compounded with shittier-than-I-thought conditions on the side of the road. More parking lot drills are in my future.

Whoops, almost can't tell.

Went by and there's a mark in the dry mud where my tip was still. From where I was sitting at the time I would have sworn there was enough gravel and grass for me to go just off the side of the run off but still be okay, obviously not. I was looking thru my U-turn up until the point when the bike stopped turning and started sliding. Thru that whole line and before it I had the bars turned left to varying degrees trying to avoid poo poo and get it off the path to the ditch. I was trying to apply light front brake but I was poorly prepared for this and didn't move to the rear to try to slow myself that way in time. The squished up hunk at the end before the little water drainage area is when I just grabbed a handful of the front and tipped us both over to the left. Lame.

Stupid mistake again, but I'm lucky to come out of it with little damage to me or the bike and now I know some things I need to practice.

naem
May 29, 2011

Popped my cherry.

Starting on steep hills from a dead stop = difficult. Bike = heavy. Nothing hurt but my pride. Yay zip ties!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

naem posted:

Popped my cherry.
Starting on steep hills from a dead stop = difficult. Bike = heavy. Nothing hurt but my pride. Yay zip ties!
It's good that you're okay. :) I fell off my bike in my driveway the second day after I had bought it. It slowly tipped over during a slow uturn and I remember practically diving under it to prevent the fairing hitting the cement. Haha.

On these steep hills, how is your clutch release? Are you holding your brakes when you throttle up?

two finger braking

Starting movement on any sort of non level surface shouldn't be difficult after a time - especially if you practise. I've found it even easier than in a car, as your brake and throttle are used concurrently by one hand on the bike instead of two feet like in a car.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
When I start on hills I use the back brake to hold me in position and as I increase the revs and let the clutch out I release the brake. You shouldn't even need to use the front brake I wouldn't have thought?

naem
May 29, 2011

Drifter posted:

On these steep hills, how is your clutch release? Are you holding your brakes when you throttle up?

I had my foot on the rear brake, gave it some gas, and let the clutch out until it started to engage. The engine revved and I was like "Why aren't I moving.. oh yeah. Wait. How do I not brake?" From there it was a comedy of errors as I grabbed the front brake, let go the rear brake, cranked the throttle, freaked out as it vroomed really loud, let go the throttle/brakes/clutch at once, and very calmly laid it on its side.

I couldn't possibly have done a better comedy routine noob mistake if I'd tried. I drove home giggling the whole way; luckily my mechanic is awesome. Thanks for the link, I plan to practice a bunch on some local hills with no traffic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

naem posted:

I couldn't possibly have done a better comedy routine noob mistake if I'd tried. I drove home giggling the whole way; luckily my mechanic is awesome. Thanks for the link, I plan to practice a bunch on some local hills with no traffic.

here4dagangbang posted:

When I start on hills I use the back brake to hold me in position and as I increase the revs and let the clutch out I release the brake. You shouldn't even need to use the front brake I wouldn't have thought?
It's a little strange to remove a point of stability when you don't have to, especially on a steep incline. Why make it more complicated for such a tiny thing?

Granted, the way I've learned was to use my front brake with the throttle and the whole roll-on/roll-off throttle/brake thing. I don't want to be a person to say another way is wrong (I rarely have both legs down), but with both legs on the ground, you'll never tip over. Besides, I really never used my rear brake for anything - but the ninja250 has a crappy rear brake system I've been told. :human being:

Also, two fingers resting on your brake at all times could help save your life in an emergency. It may be uncomfortable at first, but deal with it, it gets comfortable again.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Drifter posted:

It's a little strange to remove a point of stability when you don't have to, especially on a steep incline. Why make it more complicated for such a tiny thing?

Granted, the way I've learned was to use my front brake with the throttle and the whole roll-on/roll-off throttle/brake thing. I don't want to be a person to say another way is wrong (I rarely have both legs down), but with both legs on the ground, you'll never tip over. Besides, I really never used my rear brake for anything - but the ninja250 has a crappy rear brake system I've been told. :human being:

Also, two fingers resting on your brake at all times could help save your life in an emergency. It may be uncomfortable at first, but deal with it, it gets comfortable again.

In Australia we are taught to come to a stop with our head up, in first gear and with our foot on the rear brake. They call this the ready position, and it allows you to get the gently caress out of dodge if you check your rear view mirrors (also something we are trained to do every time we slow/stop) and see that someone does not appear to be slowing to a stop behind you. So I guess that means I don't see it as removing a point of stability at all because I am always stopped with my left foot only on the ground. You only need one leg to be stable, unless there is an earthquake going on or something.

My VTR250 can't have the most powerful rear brake either but I have not ever had trouble holding it on a hill (and Sydney has plenty of those).

I'm pretty sure I remember being told not to leave fingers covering the brake at all times in our training as well, just as an aside.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I just let the clutch out a bit until you feel the bike starting to want to move forward - keeping the throttle shut. You can hold a bike on most any hill by just slipping the clutch. YMMV

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

I just let the clutch out a bit until you feel the bike starting to want to move forward - keeping the throttle shut. You can hold a bike on most any hill by just slipping the clutch. YMMV

Clutches are easy to replace on a bike but why not just use the brakes to stop the bike? It's what they're designed for, after all.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember being told not to leave fingers covering the brake at all times in our training as well, just as an aside.

They'll tell this to new riders so they don't have an "Oh poo poo gotta brake HAMFIST" moment. Giving that extra half second of reach nullifies the grab instinct a bit. After getting comfortable on a bike, covering the brake is the way to go; I also cover with two fingers.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

I find my fingers are too short to always cover the brake with 2 fingers (I wear medium gloves.) Is this indicative that I need to adjust my levers? I have no problem grabbing it with my whole hand, it's just uncomfortable to always have two fingers reaching for the lever.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I wear small gloves, so I know how you feel. My brake lever isn't adjustable, so I've just readjusted my grip on the throttle so my hands are more rotated forward. I don't cover it for long highway jaunts because it gets pretty uncomfortable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bladesamurai posted:

I find my fingers are too short to always cover the brake with 2 fingers (I wear medium gloves.) Is this indicative that I need to adjust my levers? I have no problem grabbing it with my whole hand, it's just uncomfortable to always have two fingers reaching for the lever.

If you have particularly small or particular big hands, this is where adjustable levers can really pay off.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010
I know one of me or my friends are gonna drop our bikes (4 of us got them in the last 4 months) ranging from:

scooter (150cc)
1998 fzr600r (me)
1989 kawasaki zx-10
2004 gsxr600

I've told every one of them the same thing.

newenough.com has closeouts always going. free shipping (over $89) and (good) gloves and stuff as low as $20. I don't work for them in any way, just to say they have treated me well.

and I've fully outfitted myself with snell 2010 rated helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants, etc for under $300. and it's all good name brands. There is NO EXCUSE for not wearing gear when it now so cheap.

Seriously, joe rocket jacket for 50 bucks! if you can't afford that, you can't afford to ride.

naem
May 29, 2011

AncientTV posted:

HAMFIST

HAMFIST!™©®

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Got in my first serious crash and the first time I've dropped a bike. I was leaving work heading southbound on a busy street. The light turns red so I begin braking but I'm still pretty far away from the light when a bicyclist decides it's time to turn left about 5 meters in front of me. He's pretty much perpendicular to the road at this point and I hit him dead on. Bike falls to the left and I am tossed off. I slide on my back for a bit and my bike slides into the front bumper of a car in opposing traffic.

Anyway, just some minor bruises. I had just finished doing deliveries so my backpack was empty and acted like an airbag. Here's a link http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/packs/brigadier.html

So I only have liability insurance and well, I'm out a bike. Should I lawyer up because the police at the scene all told me it was 100% the bicyclists fault and to take him to civil court.

The accident was about 2 blocks from the police station and there happened to be an ambulance right behind us so he was taken the hospital. His bicycle looked okay but I never got a look at the guy before they took him away.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

EvilCrayon posted:

Got in my first serious crash and the first time I've dropped a bike. I was leaving work heading southbound on a busy street. The light turns red so I begin braking but I'm still pretty far away from the light when a bicyclist decides it's time to turn left about 5 meters in front of me. He's pretty much perpendicular to the road at this point and I hit him dead on. Bike falls to the left and I am tossed off. I slide on my back for a bit and my bike slides into the front bumper of a car in opposing traffic.

Anyway, just some minor bruises. I had just finished doing deliveries so my backpack was empty and acted like an airbag. Here's a link http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/packs/brigadier.html

So I only have liability insurance and well, I'm out a bike. Should I lawyer up because the police at the scene all told me it was 100% the bicyclists fault and to take him to civil court.

The accident was about 2 blocks from the police station and there happened to be an ambulance right behind us so he was taken the hospital. His bicycle looked okay but I never got a look at the guy before they took him away.

What's wrong with the bike?

Civil court might be an option, I'd probably want the police report in hand before I started pursing things. I'd also try contacting the bicyclist and seeing if he's willing to pay up. Unlikely, but a possibility.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
You should always get a lawyer in my experience, because you don't know what injuries you may have sustained and you need to protect yourself properly, in more ways than one.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
I always thought that the insurance would do their own looking into it, regardless of whether you have liability or comprehensive. Am I totally wrong on that? Or does it only apply when the other party files a claim with their company?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Insurance companies only care if they are or may be paying money.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

grnberet2b posted:

I always thought that the insurance would do their own looking into it, regardless of whether you have liability or comprehensive. Am I totally wrong on that? Or does it only apply when the other party files a claim with their company?

Yeah you're wrong, if you only have liability, you insurance company will give no fucks about you if the other party is at fault.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

aventari posted:

Yeah you're wrong, if you only have liability, you insurance company will give no fucks about you if the other party is at fault.

I'm speaking from the position of living in BC, Canada where we have a crown corporation insurance. They only look out for themselves and if that means saving themselves money instead of you, then they will do it. Even if I wasn't living here I would always get a lawyer in any 'proper' accident because things can come up in the future that are unforeseen.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

aventari posted:

This isn't true if you have good insurance. My insurance has always offered to contact the other company for me in order to initiate the claim, although after that point it's really between you and the other person's insurance. It makes sense for them to start things off, so you don't accidentally gently caress up something up and end up at fault somehow. Also, you're paying them so they should do nice poo poo for you if they want to keep you as a client.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
It happened. It wasn't expensive (I think) or painful. First drop not too bad at all, in actuality.

It was raining a bit and I was going around a mini roundabout. Been around it dozens of times in the past few weeks, never been an issue. Wasn't leaned over very far at all. I figure I must have hit a patch of oil. Front wheel slipped out and I was on the ground before I really knew anything was wrong. Wasn't going very fast. Slid a bit (2 feet?), no visible marks on any of my gear. No scrapes or bruises at all.

What went wrong? I think I need new tyres (5 years old this month). In addition, I believe I was a bit harsh on the steering. I'm also fairly certain I had more weight distributed to the front than I really needed to.

Damage: one indicator smashed, brake lever broken. Slightly twisted front forks. Pretty cheap and easy, I feel.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Were you on or off the throttle when you crashed?

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Details are a bit fuzzy, but I think off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

polystyrus posted:

Details are a bit fuzzy, but I think off.

Being on the throttle, just enough to maintain speed, can help you avoid crashing when one wheel or the other loses traction. Being on the gas means the front has less weight on it, and if it slides, won't slide out of line as quickly or as far. It also means the rear is driving it through any slick spots, and if it does start to slide out will try to spin it's way back in line.

It seems counter intuitive, but it's the best thing for a motorcycle to be slightly on the gas.

Give it a try and see how the bike feels when you add just enough throttle to maintain speed. It's gonna feel funny for a bit, but I think you'll notice a significant change.

Glad you're ok and the damage to the bike was minor :)

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

It seems counter intuitive, but it's the best thing for a motorcycle to be slightly on the gas.

Glad you're ok and the damage to the bike was minor :)

Thanks a bunch dude, I'll definitely practice this. Funny thing is I've been reading Twist of the Wrist II... and the exact same advice. Tried it a bit, too, it just isn't second nature, yet.

I just added up the cost of replacements on wemoto.com and it comes to 17 quid. Not exactly a great blow to the finances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Diesel is the most likely thing on any roundabout. You can often smell it in advance, but not always, especially in an urban area.

E: There can be enough soaked into tarmac that you don't even see it on the surface, but it's still incredibly slick. There's a T-junction on my commute like this where big septic and moving lorries plus tractors have to pause and make a tight turn - in the car you can skid past the junction if you're not aware. Could well be something similar if there are diesels turning over that roundabout.

polystyrus posted:

It happened. It wasn't expensive (I think) or painful. First drop not too bad at all, in actuality.

It was raining a bit and I was going around a mini roundabout. Been around it dozens of times in the past few weeks, never been an issue. Wasn't leaned over very far at all. I figure I must have hit a patch of oil. Front wheel slipped out and I was on the ground before I really knew anything was wrong. Wasn't going very fast. Slid a bit (2 feet?), no visible marks on any of my gear. No scrapes or bruises at all.

What went wrong? I think I need new tyres (5 years old this month). In addition, I believe I was a bit harsh on the steering. I'm also fairly certain I had more weight distributed to the front than I really needed to.

Damage: one indicator smashed, brake lever broken. Slightly twisted front forks. Pretty cheap and easy, I feel.

Saga fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 1, 2011

• Locked thread