Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

What movie is it where the guy sticks a paperclip in a light socket to short the power so he can escape from the cops?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFZIj96LwY&feature=related

"It's no picnic."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

penismightier posted:

What movie is it where the guy sticks a paperclip in a light socket to short the power so he can escape from the cops?

This happens in Scream 3 but it's not done to escape cops.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
You guys might be able to help me with this.
I only have vague memories of this but I think it was like a seventies or eighties TV sci fi movie with those white halls and the like.

The story was something about these aliens that i remember looking like tall masses of seaweed or something but the humans see them as other humans. Then someone comes along who can see them for who they are etc.. but the aliens aren't bad guys or something.

Been irritating me for years, any ideas?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I was thinking of Hopscotch! But now I know there's lots of movies with that trick in it.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
A while back someone posted a clip from a Japanese film in which a younger samurai is imagining himself killing his rival seconds before the dual starts. However his opponent changes the way he draws his katana and then kills him in a single blow. Any help?

edit: Found it!

Zatoichi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6qCRGbsn3A

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 21, 2011

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

THE RED MENACE posted:

A while back someone posted a clip from a Japanese film in which a younger samurai is imagining himself killing his rival seconds before the dual starts. However his opponent changes the way he draws his katana and then kills him in a single blow. Any help?

Could be Sword of Doom.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

Alright, so my dad keeps bugging me about a movie, and it's nothing I've ever seen. That said, it's probably something extremely common for my dad to have seen it - I didn't exactly grow up in an area rich in film diversity.

Anyway, here's what he can recall - there's a good chance this could be from multiple movies running together:

- It is a kung-fu or martial arts film.
- There is a brother and sister, both of whom fight - he remembers this being to avenge their father's death.
- Toward the end of the movie, the sister is fighting the main "bad guy" who is responsible for their father's death in order to get revenge. I guess the brother was either injured or killed as well. Anyway, the sister manages to defeat this guy by virtue of the fact that she's found/studied pages that had been missing from a book of fighting styles - and this guy didn't know how to defend against this style. Presumably this was something that had been in the family for many years that her brother didn't know about.

That's kinda vague, but that's about all my dad can remember - it's probably been 6 or 7 years since he last asked me about it, and it just came up again. I know he's been trying to figure it out for longer than that, so it can't be anything too recent.

Thanks.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Nutsngum posted:

You guys might be able to help me with this.
I only have vague memories of this but I think it was like a seventies or eighties TV sci fi movie with those white halls and the like.

The story was something about these aliens that i remember looking like tall masses of seaweed or something but the humans see them as other humans. Then someone comes along who can see them for who they are etc.. but the aliens aren't bad guys or something.

Been irritating me for years, any ideas?

Sounds a little like an Outer Limits episode called First Anniversary.

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
I posted this a while back, but never got an answer. Hopefully this time...

I saw it over ten years ago and I can only remember parts of it. I must have been about eight or nine when I saw that film and it looked pretty recent at the time. It was probably made about mid 90s.

• The main character was a skinny nerdy young man with glasses who worked in a factory. I remember he wore a blue jump suit. I think his brother worked there with him. Well, this fat hairy guy worked with him anyway and this guy was always happy and positive. But the main character was always awkward and quiet.

• I also remember it having very funny perverted sex scenes. Towards the start of the film. The main character was walking down the street and he looked down a stairwell of an apartment and spots this couple having sex. He just stares at them for while, until he eventually gets discovered. The girl looks at him and screams - the guy she's with turns around, gets up and chases the main character. I think he punches him in the face too. I remember the main character getting a black eye at one point in the movie.

• Also in another scene, him and his fat brother/friend go to a strip club. The fat guy starts making out with a load of women and the main character just sits there all awkward.

I remember seeing this movie ages ago with my friends and none of us can remember the name of the film. Just these ridiculous scenes. I'm not even sure if the movie is good or not. Didn't matter. I was a little kid and this movie had sex in it. That automatically made it the best thing ever.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My roommate got a bunch of DVDs a few months ago and I watched some of them with her; Pandorum and the second half of another movie that was presumably of about the same vintage. The mystery movie was live-action, Asian, (probably Korean) with English subtitles. It was confusing falling right into the middle of it and also we were drunk so I apologize for vagueness.

::Edit:: this has been solved as Natural City so I'm hiding the spoilers just in case.

There was a large industrial or scientific complex that may have been underground since there were no windows. There were both humans and robots that looked like people. I think there was some sort of plan to destroy all the robots/replicants. Or maybe it was a plan to take over the robots or make a new breed of soldier-robot to subjugate the populace and the protagonists were trying to stop it.

Near the end, one of the main male characters takes a female character (possibly a robot) to what seemed like an airport-concourse type place. He asks her to wait for him on a bench that is also a virtual-reality booth. When he comes back, they will leave together for a beautiful beach but meanwhile she will "visit" the beach in VR. I think it's timed, and he buys like 45 minutes worth of beach.

Of course, he's never coming back. He goes back to the underground facility and ends up destroying it somehow? And then the girl/robot would die, because the robots are linked to the facility? There was another man, possibly a scientist, and together they fight their way most of the way out, but then one of them is wounded or dies, and somebody has to stay behind to make sure the bomb goes off. (Turns out I was wrong about a lot of this, except apparently the dying bits.)

Anyway, even though it was confusing I found it very interesting and I wanted to try watching the whole thing sober. I went back to view the credits so I could Google it, but my roommate had given the DVD away. Anybody recognize this?

tl;dr, hero leaves replicant girl chilling on a virtual-reality bench while he goes off to die.

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 23, 2011

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

tl;dr, hero leaves replicant girl chilling on a virtual-reality bench while he goes off to die.

I believe you're describing Natural City

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 23, 2011

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Mouser.. posted:

I believe you're describing Natural City

Sweet, that's the one! And Netflix has it on instant watch. Thank you!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I'm looking for a short film that was shown on HBO in between movies during the early 80s. It was shown constantly along the likes of other short films such as Recorded Live, a cartoon adaptation of the Kinks' "Alcohol" called "Demon Alcohol", The Wizard of Speed and Time and many more.

All I can remember it that it was animated, and it was about a fat man that could not stop eating (or maybe he just took pleasure in gorging himself). I believe that he ate so much that he eventually became bigger and fatter than the Earth itself. It would make my day if someone knew what I was talking about with so little to go on.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

I saw this movie like 15 years ago, I think it was an alien ripoff. All I remember about it is that it was pretty violent, at least to me when I was like 12 or so, I believe the monster spawned from something that looked like a football (the rugby type) and it was set in some space base, maybe the moon.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

bat duck posted:

I saw this movie like 15 years ago, I think it was an alien ripoff. All I remember about it is that it was pretty violent, at least to me when I was like 12 or so, I believe the monster spawned from something that looked like a football (the rugby type) and it was set in some space base, maybe the moon.

Can you be more specific? This describes literally dozens of movies. What'd the alien look like? What were the people in it like? Was it a nice clean space station or a lovely run down one?

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

penismightier posted:

Can you be more specific? This describes literally dozens of movies. What'd the alien look like? What were the people in it like? Was it a nice clean space station or a lovely run down one?

Well, I remember it being very gray, that's why I thought it was the moon. I think the "football" egg is the most specific part of the movie I can remember, its been a looong time, not even sure I saw the whole movie. If I where to guess Id say the alien was some kind of humanoid.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

bat duck posted:

Out on a limb answer here since penismightier sums up the vagueness of it, but it could be Creature starring Klaus Kinski and Wendy Schaal (better known as Francine on American Dad) as a Ripley knock-off. First thing I think of when I hear "Alien ripoff."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088961/

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

bat duck posted:

Well, I remember it being very gray, that's why I thought it was the moon. I think the "football" egg is the most specific part of the movie I can remember, its been a looong time, not even sure I saw the whole movie. If I where to guess Id say the alien was some kind of humanoid.

Could also be Moontrap.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097911/

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

penismightier posted:

Could also be Moontrap.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097911/

I think this just might be it, gonna watch it now and find out.

Yeah, thinking that was it. And on further thought I must have been more like 8 at the time, and that's 21 years ago.
Watching it now I don't remember much of it. Thanks for finding it.

bat duck fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 25, 2011

Eustacia
Mar 30, 2011
The movie has a really dark fantasy/spooky feel to it. It seems to revolve around a tower in a magical/cursed forest, and the tower is only gotten to after (I think) a woman casts a spell or solves a riddle. At the top of the tower is an evil but dead queen or sorceress or such who is trying to resurrect. In order to resurrect, she has a former servant turned spooky oily demon thing go to nearby villages and kidnap young girls so their blood can be fed to the queen. I think 10 or 12 of em are required for the resurrection.

At the end, the last child is kidnapped and the heroes have to get into the chamber where the dead queen is. They don't climb the tower through the inside but scale the outside of it, get to roof, and then swing down into it through a window. The revived queen is an ugly zombie/skeleton thing at first, but a reflection in a mirror shows she's very pretty (I think she's trying to resurrect to gain her youthful pretty form again, but I don't know why). I think one of the heroes gets seduced by the queen and gets killed in the fight with her.

That's all I can remember. Made a pretty good impression on me and I want to see the whole thing. Probably saw it a year ago on USA Network.

Edit: thank you barometer. That's definitely it.

Eustacia fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 29, 2011

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Eustacia posted:

The movie has a really dark fantasy/spooky feel to it. It seems to revolve around a tower in a magical/cursed forest, and the tower is only gotten to after (I think) a woman casts a spell or solves a riddle. At the top of the tower is an evil but dead queen or sorceress or such who is trying to resurrect. In order to resurrect, she has a former servant turned spooky oily demon thing go to nearby villages and kidnap young girls so their blood can be fed to the queen. I think 10 or 12 of em are required for the resurrection.

At the end, the last child is kidnapped and the heroes have to get into the chamber where the dead queen is. They don't climb the tower through the inside but scale the outside of it, get to roof, and then swing down into it through a window. The revived queen is an ugly zombie/skeleton thing at first, but a reflection in a mirror shows she's very pretty (I think she's trying to resurrect to gain her youthful pretty form again, but I don't know why). I think one of the heroes gets seduced by the queen and gets killed in the fight with her.

That's all I can remember. Made a pretty good impression on me and I want to see the whole thing. Probably saw it a year ago on USA Network.

Sounds like the Brothers Grimm.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I saw this years ago and I'm pretty sure it was a DTV movie, or at least made-for-TV. All I remember is a kid gets caught in some stupid crime and ends up being forcibly aged into his 20s or 30s overnight as punishment by the weird future-government. Also he falls in love with some chick. It was like a really lovely sci-fi dystopian take on Big.

Players_Counsel
Jul 29, 2011
I have a vague recollection of a movie that I watched on cable in the mid-90s and would love some help figuring out the title.

It was an action movie and the final action sequence involved the villain telling a minion to activate the components of his (the villain's) bionic suit. The minion asked which components to activate and the villain said "all of them." this caused the suit to overheat and enabled the hero to beat the villain.

I initially thought that the villain was Raul Julia, but after reviewing his IMDB page, I don't think its him. Also, I don't think the movie was Street Fighter. I don't think it was that mainstream and I've been looking at YouTube clips all night and haven't found one with this line from Street Fighter.

It's not a lot to go on, but any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It was a psychological movie or something, I guess. I remember a family sitting on the table, then the father got really angry and smash a plate to the wall. Then there's a weird thing where his daughter's friend was in love with him and he complied secretly and I think he had a gun and people died.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Tae posted:

It was a psychological movie or something, I guess. I remember a family sitting on the table, then the father got really angry and smash a plate to the wall. Then there's a weird thing where his daughter's friend was in love with him and he complied secretly and I think he had a gun and people died.

Yeah, probably American Beauty. The father is Kevin Spacey, man.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, probably American Beauty. The father is Kevin Spacey, man.

Yep, that's the movie. Thanks.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I saw this movie some time in the mid '90s, it would have been a VHS rented from Blockbuster. A kid's brother dies and then for some reason he dies too. Turns out there's an afterlife in some medieval fantasy world and he finds his brother again. They go on a bunch of adventures and the ending was them dying together in a cave and then moving on to the next afterlife (???). Any ideas?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Officer Sandvich posted:

I saw this movie some time in the mid '90s, it would have been a VHS rented from Blockbuster. A kid's brother dies and then for some reason he dies too. Turns out there's an afterlife in some medieval fantasy world and he finds his brother again. They go on a bunch of adventures and the ending was them dying together in a cave and then moving on to the next afterlife (???). Any ideas?

Sounds like The Brothers Lionheart, from the book by Astrid Lindgren. I haven't actually seen the movie, but that's basically the plot of the book.

Edited because I can't type for poo poo.

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 1, 2011

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

Sounds like The Brothers Lionheard, from the book by Astrid Lindgren. I haven't actually seen the movie, but that's basically the plot of the book.

That's it, thanks.

Reginaldavid
Sep 30, 2006
beautiful cretin
I started to watch this movie with a friend but only saw the first few minutes of it: Two kids, probably brothers, go into the woods (they might have traveled on a raft first to get there) to smoke cigs in secret. Then a car pulls up, and they see the driver (I think he was a black guy) try to kill himself by running a hose from the exhaust pipe into the car (or some similar fashion), but one of the kids sneaks up and unplugs the hose. The driver gets out, reattaches the hose, and gets back in the car. The kid tries to pull the hose out again, but this time the driver catches him and yells "What the hell are you doing?!" And then I had to go.
My friend recommended this film but I forgot to bring it up again and then lost contact, so this has kept nagging at me.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Reginaldavid posted:

I started to watch this movie with a friend but only saw the first few minutes of it: Two kids, probably brothers, go into the woods (they might have traveled on a raft first to get there) to smoke cigs in secret. Then a car pulls up, and they see the driver (I think he was a black guy) try to kill himself by running a hose from the exhaust pipe into the car (or some similar fashion), but one of the kids sneaks up and unplugs the hose. The driver gets out, reattaches the hose, and gets back in the car. The kid tries to pull the hose out again, but this time the driver catches him and yells "What the hell are you doing?!" And then I had to go.
My friend recommended this film but I forgot to bring it up again and then lost contact, so this has kept nagging at me.

The Client

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Which is the movie, from around 4 years ago, which is very much like the videogame dead space.

It has people waking up out of cryo sleep but they've been asleep for too long and another race of people have evolved in the spaceship and they're all nuts and want to kill the people just waking up. There's a ninja in it too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Faithless posted:

Which is the movie, from around 4 years ago, which is very much like the videogame dead space.

It has people waking up out of cryo sleep but they've been asleep for too long and another race of people have evolved in the spaceship and they're all nuts and want to kill the people just waking up. There's a ninja in it too.

Sounds a little like Pandorum.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 1, 2011

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

morestuff posted:

Sounds a little like [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandorum}Pandorum[/url].

Yes! Haha thankyou so much. I know my description was terrible but I can only imagine it makes this game more fun.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
French movie, black and white involved a plane and I want to say a...hijacking?

All I know is there was definitely a priest involved, and the french wasn't incredibly difficult to understand as I was only on French II at the time and was able to keep up while loving around on the internet and not reading Engish subtitles.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Western movie, old one,it seemed the sort that was a rather big and good (or at least decent) Hollywood movie at that time, not a cheesy B/C one with second rate actors.
Saw it maybe 15 years ago on tv.

What I remember clearly was the main character, a very young blonde man with very blue cold eyes, i think in the movie he was sometimes called "Johnny Blue Eyes". He was sort of weird and cold, not at all a warm talkative, and not quite a good person, though not outright evil.
I think he was an exceptional shooter and I think he was bent on revenge against some sort of gang/band leader.
Around this young guy there was an older man for most part of the movie, they had a tense sort of thing going on (he might have been a law figure and he knew the young guy was a bit dangerous) and i seem to remember the movie ending with the young guy on a train that was leaving/about to leave and almost shooting the old guy but deciding not to, or maybe he shot him after all and we didnt get to see it, the ending was ambigous.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Merope posted:

Western movie, old one,it seemed the sort that was a rather big and good (or at least decent) Hollywood movie at that time, not a cheesy B/C one with second rate actors.
Saw it maybe 15 years ago on tv.

What I remember clearly was the main character, a very young blonde man with very blue cold eyes, i think in the movie he was sometimes called "Johnny Blue Eyes". He was sort of weird and cold, not at all a warm talkative, and not quite a good person, though not outright evil.
I think he was an exceptional shooter and I think he was bent on revenge against some sort of gang/band leader.
Around this young guy there was an older man for most part of the movie, they had a tense sort of thing going on (he might have been a law figure and he knew the young guy was a bit dangerous) and i seem to remember the movie ending with the young guy on a train that was leaving/about to leave and almost shooting the old guy but deciding not to, or maybe he shot him after all and we didnt get to see it, the ending was ambigous.
Could be My Name is Nobody

Or Death Rides a Horse

Either of those gentlemen look familiar?

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Its neither of them.
I dont think it was a post 1960 movie, and it had no comedy of any kind in it, no important woman character of any kind.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Django? I've only watched the first 5 minutes, but could be it.

e: nvm, read synopsis, no trains, and I think that guy was brown-haired, blue eyes

Pweller fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Merope posted:

Its neither of them.
I dont think it was a post 1960 movie, and it had no comedy of any kind in it, no important woman character of any kind.

The 1957 version of 3:10 to Yuma ?