Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I was thinking bicycling gloves should work fine myself. (fingerless ones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Once we had all our gear loaded up on-stage, I was running through scales and stuff with the amp on standby so nobody could hear me. Also, it was only my fingers that had frozen, not my hands so I dont know if fingerless gloves will help. I'll try it though. Any other suggestions?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

Once we had all our gear loaded up on-stage, I was running through scales and stuff with the amp on standby so nobody could hear me. Also, it was only my fingers that had frozen, not my hands so I dont know if fingerless gloves will help. I'll try it though. Any other suggestions?

Stick your hands down your pants?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I have poor finger circulation so I know what you mean. You should probably just play with your balls until your fingers defrost I guess.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Keep your hands/fingers between your arms and torso, keep breathing on them occasionally before putting them back. Don't stop doing this until you pick up your guitar, and even then, hold the neck of the guitar against your body so it starts to warm up a bit while you're doing your warm-ups. If your hands are plenty warm but your guitar isn't, wrap your hands around it starting from the base of the neck (with the body against your own) and start moving them up as it starts to get less cold.

Obviously this depends on how much time you have spare, but every little helps!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Hammer Floyd posted:

Also, it was only my fingers that had frozen, not my hands so I dont know if fingerless gloves will help. I'll try it though. Any other suggestions?

Generally, cycling 'fingerless' gloves cover at least the first knuckle, some cover the first two, which is why I thought of them.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I replaced the nut on my bass and everything sounds good, but the strings sit much higher out of the groove than the old nut. Will this have an effect on anything? I have another nut (same brand) to replace on a guitar and the grooves look shallow as well.

I'll be tuning to CADG on the bass and CADGAC on the guitar and I'll be playing mostly hardcore/metal if that info helps you answer.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

cf posted:

I replaced the nut on my bass and everything sounds good, but the strings sit much higher out of the groove than the old nut. Will this have an effect on anything? I have another nut (same brand) to replace on a guitar and the grooves look shallow as well.

I'll be tuning to CADG on the bass and CADGAC on the guitar and I'll be playing mostly hardcore/metal if that info helps you answer.

If you haven't noticed a difference in playability, and the strings aren't coming out of the nut, then you really don't have anything to worry about.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hammer Floyd posted:

Start doing finger rolls similar to this video, you don't need to spend tons of time to get them as fluid as that guy but even at a basic and relatively unco-ordinated level they are fantastic for warming up your fingers and this sort of thing can be done anywhere without the need for an instrument. I feel amazingly dexterous after spending a few minutes doing this and these days I never pick up a guitar without doing a bunch of rolls first.

edit: Alternately keep a gripmaster or similar springy squeezy thing in your pocket, but I still prefer the rolling.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I play no music, and gave up trying to learn the harmonica because it was too hard.

Now I'm eyeing a cheap Strumstick off of https://www.strumstick.com it'll run me about $250 US including shipping to Denmark, which is incredibly cheap compared to almost anything else save for a whistle or harmonica.

Now should I get one of these? I figure it's a good way actually getting started playing something, as I don't have to figure out what notes are atleast in the beginning.

Oh yeah, I also don't really want to learn a whistle or something like that as I want to be able to sing along to the music I'll hopefully make.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

-Anders posted:

Now should I get one of these? I figure it's a good way actually getting started playing something, as I don't have to figure out what notes are atleast in the beginning.

Buy a real guitar and tune it to Drop D or an open chord and then you will have an instrument equally as simple to play initially as that thing but with the flexibility to increase the complexity of your playing as time goes on and you become more confident with making noises. Unless you really like the sound of that strumstick, you will be better off learning with a 6 string instrument.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

-Anders posted:

I play no music, and gave up trying to learn the harmonica because it was too hard.

Now I'm eyeing a cheap Strumstick off of https://www.strumstick.com it'll run me about $250 US including shipping to Denmark, which is incredibly cheap compared to almost anything else save for a whistle or harmonica.

Oh yeah, I also don't really want to learn a whistle or something like that as I want to be able to sing along to the music I'll hopefully make.

What do you actually want to play? You'd honestly be better going for an instrument you have a connection to, because fun as that Strumstick might be you'll outgrow it VERY quickly, unless you just want to play around. You could buy a keyboard instrument and only hit the white keys and you'll get exactly the same effect of everything being in key, with the ability to branch out later.

You could easily get an acoustic guitar from thomann.de or something, not sure what the shipping is to Denmark but I realllly can't see this costing you more than $250 US (that's a really popular cheap guitar, solid top too! There's a sunburst one as well). To be honest I never learned the notes when I started, I got tabs for bands I liked and just learned where my fingers were meant to go to play chords and solos, and it was a lot later before I started looking into what I was actually doing and why. You could retune to make the 'always in key' thing easier if you really wanted.

Not saying the strumstick isn't fun, it's probably great for accompaniment too since you'll never get a bum note no matter what you hit, but you'll be limited in what you can accompany. With a guitar or some other 12-note instrument you can do the exact same thing so long as you follow a simple rule (like don't hit these 5 frets, you could put stickers on if you wanted). The difference is you have way more options and ability to explore music. Just trying things is half the fun :)

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 29, 2011

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I've just bought an Elka clonewheel organ, and I'm a bit lost on it. I've not really listened to much music with hammond or organ in it so I've got no reference points on how to phrase things. Are there any obvious resources for beginner's rock organ that I'm missing? I've been looking through google for a few days now but it's mostly hardcore jazz theory and things.

Sequitur
Nov 1, 2009
anyone know if there is a ukulele thread in these parts. I perused but couldnt find one. please and thank you.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Sequitur posted:

anyone know if there is a ukulele thread in these parts. I perused but couldnt find one. please and thank you.

Not here to the best of my knowledge, but there is one in A/T.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2690439

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's the term to describe the rhythm in [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8tuTSi6Sck&NR=1Feeling Good[/url]? I really like it, but I don't know how to describe it besides tapping/sounding it out.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I need to start gathering quotes for equipment for a small studio for recording spoken voice (often multiple at once) for radio spots and multi-voice longform programming. This is a slightly different subset of the audio industry than this subforum caters to, but it's simply a change in emphasis.

1) I need a solid recommendation for a tight mic for voice in a multi-mic studio (posted in the Mic Advice thread). This is probably the most important decision.

2) For a radio guy, is there any reason not to go Mackie for a board? I'm eying an 802-VLZ3 or (for firewire if I feel the need) Onyx 820i. Any thoughts on those models?

3) Are decent studio monitors still around 150 bucks a piece?

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Where's your condom now?!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's the term to describe the rhythm in [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8tuTSi6Sck&NR=1Feeling Good[/url]? I really like it, but I don't know how to describe it besides tapping/sounding it out.

Swing?

The rhythm section is quiet, and the horns don't really have a swing to them, but it's definitely a slow swing beat.

Edit: On second thought the horns do have a swing to them.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
What's a simple way to play simple electronic beats live? I have no experience doing laptop stuff in a live environment. Can I get a cheap pad or something to hit with some drumsticks?

edit: to clarify this would be using X Instrument as a midi controller for the laptop. What should X Instrument be? :O

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Popcorn posted:

What's a simple way to play simple electronic beats live? I have no experience doing laptop stuff in a live environment. Can I get a cheap pad or something to hit with some drumsticks?

edit: to clarify this would be using X Instrument as a midi controller for the laptop. What should X Instrument be? :O

Midi drumkits would be the best thing to do, or if you're trying to play premade beats live Ableton Live would be a good thing for you. If you're so inclined, you could try keyboard drumming.

http://www.nextag.com/midi-drum-kit/products-html
That site has many drum kits for sale, but I advise taking the ones you like and plugging their names into ebay to see if you can get a better deal.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yeah, I'm using Ableton Live. I have all these songs set up, I just need a good way to trigger/play the beats through Live.

I don't want to splash out on a midi drumkit. I don't need anything that big. I was hoping to get something like this, but this is a few hundred out of my budget: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcESp48dWOE&feature=related

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 8, 2011

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but the Korg NanoPad could suit your needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktCKcPWwHPw

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Alesis Control Pad looks almost identical to the Roland model in that clip, I can only assume it has similar capabilities but it definitely covers the "smallish unit you can hit with a stick" functionality you are after, and they look to be less than 1/4 the cost of the SPD-S.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

The Alesis unit looks ideal. Thanks!

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
So I've been wanting to start building a very small folky kind of drum set and I wanted to start out with a snare. I want something that is not going to be lovely since I am building this piece by piece. Something in the $100 to $200 US would be ideal. I am looking a bit on musiciansfriends at the moment but I don't really know much about what is actually good. I am pretty sure I want something with a traditional wood shell and I have always been into the sound of a tight snare (is that just a matter of proper tuning?) some snares I've heard sound really loose, dull, and kind of boomy and I don't really want that. I want something bright and cutting.

Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I wanted to make a guitar more prone to feedback. Will opening it up and removing the shielding help that? Or does the removal of the shielding just make it more prone to buzzing sounds and interference? The guitar I want to do this to is a MIM Strat. I've even been considering replacing the pickups with some from an old Silvertone/Teisco type guitar to get a feedbacky kind of sound.

The lead guitar in this song is a pretty good representation of the kind of sound I want to make: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rR6vzsqF88

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 21, 2011

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I wanted to make a guitar more prone to feedback. Will opening it up and removing the shielding help that? Or does the removal of the shielding just make it more prone to buzzing sounds and interference? The guitar I want to do this to is a MIM Strat. I've even been considering replacing the pickups with some from an old Silvertone/Teisco type guitar to get a feedbacky kind of sound.

The lead guitar in this song is a pretty good representation of the kind of sound I want to make: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rR6vzsqF88

Removing the shielding will just make it noisier(not in a good way) it might even start picking up radio signals(that can be kinda cool).
If you want more feed back stand closer to the amp and turn it up louder.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Thumposaurus posted:

Removing the shielding will just make it noisier(not in a good way) it might even start picking up radio signals(that can be kinda cool).
If you want more feed back stand closer to the amp and turn it up louder.

Well I know that trick already, but thanks for your response. I was hoping for a way to make the guitar so it's just more prone to doing that randomly. Come to think of it, the shielding on this guitar may not be the greatest because it does pick up radio signals when I use it with a certain pedal (Germanium OD). On one occasion I got some weird Japanese station and another time it was some guy preaching about Jesus. It was kind of cool.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

On one occasion I got some weird Japanese station and another time it was some guy preaching about Jesus. It was kind of cool.

I once got ESPN Radio, a game between the White Sox and Rangers. I actually stopped playing for a while to just listen to the game.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I want a simple, cheap midi controller to start and stop loops in Ableton. Something that will let me just reach over and start and stop hi-hats or kicks or synths or whatever at the touch of a button/key. Would this do the trick? http://www.gak.co.uk/en/akai-lpk25-laptop-keyboard-controller-new-2009/23337

It'd be nice if I could manipulate the sounds too, like changing their pitch or whatever, but I guess I'd need some knobs to assign midi controls for that?

edit: on second thoughts looking at this now http://www.gak.co.uk/en/akai-mpk-mini-laptop-production-keyboard/42184 - looks about perfect for activating bits and pieces and playing quick little synth noodles. Does it suck?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 27, 2011

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for a wireless kit for my guitar that doesn't have to do anything fancy, but be solid and stable in a 15 meter range. Also cheap. I can't seem to find any serious reviews of this. What should I get?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey, my band is doing surprisingly well. We've done 2 gigs (the only gigs I've ever done!) and at the first one, we bought the house down, our second one was a Battle Of The Bands, we had the most in attendance (nearly 50 on a Tuesday night!) and we won, beating two other very respectable acts.

While this could hardly be counted as "success", I do count this as positive momentum. We're releasing our album soon, and we're gonna try to do one gig a month. Other than that, what else should I do to keep this momentum building?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Does anyone here use an iPad for their primary audio workstation? How is it? What accessories / apps do you find the most useful, and is there a big difference between the iPad vs the iPad 2 when used for music?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Good question. I'd like to follow that up with WebOS and Android, as I'm expecting a HP Touchpad in a week or two.

Vei
Jan 30, 2007
Anyone know what, if any, song this is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3bucWtlHUs&feature=youtube_gdata_player&camefrom=OVER_YT_8_A_sr3_15766667_go&WT.srch=1

Also, I'm looking for just .. what's the word.. haunting but powerful/beautiful songs, sort of like that one, for the piano. Any recommendations would be sooo appreciated. Sheet music would be awesome but a name or youtube link also works and I can google the rest hopefully.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Popcorn posted:

I want a simple, cheap midi controller to start and stop loops in Ableton. Something that will let me just reach over and start and stop hi-hats or kicks or synths or whatever at the touch of a button/key. Would this do the trick? http://www.gak.co.uk/en/akai-lpk25-laptop-keyboard-controller-new-2009/23337

It'd be nice if I could manipulate the sounds too, like changing their pitch or whatever, but I guess I'd need some knobs to assign midi controls for that?

edit: on second thoughts looking at this now http://www.gak.co.uk/en/akai-mpk-mini-laptop-production-keyboard/42184 - looks about perfect for activating bits and pieces and playing quick little synth noodles. Does it suck?
What about the Trigger Finger?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I can borrow a wireless Sennheiser ew 100 g3 kit that's built for a microphone. Would it be a problem to use a jack to mini-jack converter and use this system even though it isn't designed for guitar?

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
What instrument produces the melodies on The Birthday Party song "Mr Clarinet" ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmSULZZUgLc

It's first heard about 30 seconds in and also occurs in the chorus. Most of their songs just have guitar but it sound almost like a distorted melodica. Could just be synth though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Vei posted:

Anyone know what, if any, song this is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3bucWtlHUs&feature=youtube_gdata_player&camefrom=OVER_YT_8_A_sr3_15766667_go&WT.srch=1

Also, I'm looking for just .. what's the word.. haunting but powerful/beautiful songs, sort of like that one, for the piano. Any recommendations would be sooo appreciated. Sheet music would be awesome but a name or youtube link also works and I can google the rest hopefully.

I don't know what that is but it reminds me a lot of Moonlight Sonata in tone, if you haven't learned that one already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Cumhand Luke posted:

What instrument produces the melodies on The Birthday Party song "Mr Clarinet" ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmSULZZUgLc

It's first heard about 30 seconds in and also occurs in the chorus. Most of their songs just have guitar but it sound almost like a distorted melodica. Could just be synth though.
I'm hearing something like one of the tones of a Farfisa organ like this, maybe distorted/dirtied up a bit. I wish I knew the name of that particular organ sound, it's probably not exclusive to the Farfisa.