Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty sure Dumbledore himself was the middle brother who could never escape from the memory of his dead loved ones and eventually died because of his longing to see them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Bean
Jun 6, 2011

Hangover of no regrets.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Apparently they let Rupert and Dan grow their hair out just for the gently caress of it. Emma Watson must have been furious. "They get to gently caress around with their hair, but I have to keep this loving haircut for the next five years? Oh, gently caress you."

I don't get this, apparently they say in a lot of contracts that the actor can't change their hair (among other things) but with extensions and wigs they can make your hair look so completely different and realistic that it shouldn't make a difference. I wonder why scalp hair is such a big deal still.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Sugar Bean posted:

I don't get this, apparently they say in a lot of contracts that the actor can't change their hair (among other things) but with extensions and wigs they can make your hair look so completely different and realistic that it shouldn't make a difference. I wonder why scalp hair is such a big deal still.

Wigs can still look quite fake under certain conditions, even really well done and expensive ones (GoT is a recent example. Good work, but the wigs still don't work perfectly). Also, more expensive and a lot of time wasted on applying the wig every day during filming.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not only that, Voldemort was after the Elder Wand of the nuts for power brother, Harry had the cloak of the one who accepted death, and Snape, uh... Well, it kind of falls apart for the Ressurection Stone since he only stopped the curse on it from killing Dumbledore. 2 out of 3 ain't bad?

Curse on the ring, not on the stone. Harry picked the stone up with no issues.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the whole Deathly Hallows thing seemed to come out of nowhere.

Especially as Harry's cloak was able to be seen through by Moody and visible on the Marauder's map.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The thing that makes Harry's cloak special is it hides others

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

blakout posted:

The thing that makes Harry's cloak special is it hides others

No, it was that as old as it is, it was still in excellent condition and that other cloaks lose their effectiveness over time.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

all I'm sayin' is that if it was supposed to be an artefact with the power to shield the user from death's gaze then it should be able to outwit an enchanted eyeball and a map that a bunch of kids made.

I doubt the Deathly Hallows were even on JK Rowling's mind until she finished The Half Blood Prince

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Paragon8 posted:

I doubt the Deathly Hallows were even on JK Rowling's mind until she finished The Half Blood Prince

I agree with this sentiment, but to be fair Dumbledore does say that it's likely that the Hallows are nothing more than exceptionally powerful items created by gifted wizards and not actually omnipotent super-trinkets created by death.

Come to think of it, I think the only extraordinary thing we even see the Elder Wand do is repair Harry's old wand. Dumbledore was shithot before he got the wand (and actually beats Grindelwald who has the wand) and Voldemort couldn't even use it properly. There's not much evidence to say that the wand is even that much better than a wizard's regular wand. With that in mind it seems reasonable that the cloak isn't as good as the story implies.

Edit: While I was looking stuff up for this post I was dismayed to see google suggest "dumbledore grindelwald slash"

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

It's not really terrible in the sense of "And then Sirus, deftly stroking the creatures beak, penetrated from behind." or anything, but it certainly takes itself super serious, and if memory serves the author is bug-gently caress insane.

It was called Neville Longbottom and the Year of Darkness, I believe.

Dumbledore's Army and the Year Of Darkness

And regardless of the fact that the author is bugfuck, it's well written and enjoyable. (People are way harsher on fanfic than on original work, I've found.)

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

HelixFox posted:

Edit: While I was looking stuff up for this post I was dismayed to see google suggest "dumbledore grindelwald slash"

Addendum to rule 34: if you can name any two (or one, or three, or four, or the entire Hogwarts staff) characters, there is fanfic/slashfic/femmefic of it.

Off the top of my head (and I'm not Googling at work to verify):

Hagrid/Olympe Maxime
Dumbledore/Harry
Dumbledore/McGonagall
McGonagall/Umbridge
Snape/Harry

Then you get into the furry angle:

Werewolf-Remus/Animagus Sirius (or any combination of the Marauders + their Animagus forms or anyone's Animagus form + Human or another Animagus form...)
Filch/Mrs. Norris :catstare:
Sirius/Buckbeak (well, there wasn't much to do at Grimmauld Place...)

Then you have the just plain :wtf: :

Harry/Dobby
Anyone/Giant Squid
Giant Squid/the Merfolk in the Lake ( :pervert: )

No, I don't read this poo poo, but I'm telling you, it's out there, and in every unfortunately conceivable combination you can imagine...

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 29, 2011

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

all I'm sayin' is that if it was supposed to be an artefact with the power to shield the user from death's gaze then it should be able to outwit an enchanted eyeball and a map that a bunch of kids made.

With Dumbledore and Moody I had the feeling that they sensed the magic, but that was it. They didn't actually SEE anything. Dumbledore mentions being able to sense powerful magic at other times. (cave by the sea)

I can't explain the map, though.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

SassySally posted:

If the Marauders (Sirius, Lupin, Potter and Pettigrew) created the map and Potter had the cloak at the time, then maybe they were able to make it so that the map saw the person still. I mean, it is not like they would not be able to test it out over and over again.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SassySally posted:

With Dumbledore and Moody I had the feeling that they sensed the magic, but that was it. They didn't actually SEE anything. Dumbledore mentions being able to sense powerful magic at other times. (cave by the sea)

The cloak was never impervious to magic. Both Malfoy and Dumbledore were able to stun Harry or whatever in HBP.

I think Moody's eye was able to see through the cloak.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

geeves posted:

The cloak was never impervious to magic. Both Malfoy and Dumbledore were able to stun Harry or whatever in HBP.

I think Moody's eye was able to see through the cloak.

Remember the Deatly Hallows where just very powerful magical artifacts. They were not made by death. The clock was able to be seen by the map since James had it.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Remember the Deatly Hallows where just very powerful magical artifacts. They were not made by death. The clock was able to be seen by the map since James had it.

How do we know for sure? It's a magical world... maybe Death did make them. I don't remember it telling us that the "fable" wasn't true. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SassySally posted:

How do we know for sure? It's a magical world... maybe Death did make them. I don't remember it telling us that the "fable" wasn't true. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Dumbledore said they where just made by some really powerful wizards when Harry was at Kings Cross

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 30, 2011

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

HelixFox posted:

Is that not kind of canon? I seem to recall when Rowling gave that interview where she declared Dumbledore was gay, she at least hinted that they had a relationship.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

wheatpuppy posted:

Is that not kind of canon? I seem to recall when Rowling gave that interview where she declared Dumbledore was gay, she at least hinted that they had a relationship.

Dumbledore had feelings for Grindewald, but he never had any feelings for Dumbledore. He probably didn't even swing that way, he just knew he could use this affection to his advantage in his quest for the Greater Good.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Speaking of, I've heard people say that there was plenty of foreshadowing that Dumbledore was gay in the books. I personally never noticed it, so when Rowling made the announcement I was pretty much just like "What? Really? Alright, then."

Can anyone give me some examples? The only thing I can think of at all would be when he's telling the story of his past to Harry, maybe I suppose if you already knew he was gay then the way he talks about Grindlewald would kinda show it.

Basically I'm not totally convinced that Rowling didn't just wake up one day and go "poo poo, I should have had a gay character."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

spixxor posted:

Speaking of, I've heard people say that there was plenty of foreshadowing that Dumbledore was gay in the books. I personally never noticed it, so when Rowling made the announcement I was pretty much just like "What? Really? Alright, then."

Can anyone give me some examples? The only thing I can think of at all would be when he's telling the story of his past to Harry, maybe I suppose if you already knew he was gay then the way he talks about Grindlewald would kinda show it.

Basically I'm not totally convinced that Rowling didn't just wake up one day and go "poo poo, I should have had a gay character."

For me, it was the Grindelwald stuff. The friendship there seemed to be something more than just Wizard Bros wanting to kick Muggle rear end, and it goes to say how devastated Dumbledore was to have to defeat Grindewald. After reading Deathly Hallows, then hearing her announcement I went "Yeah, not really surprised."

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

spixxor posted:

Yeah it seems like a tacked on thing. Close male friendships back when Dumbledore was younger were common and far from sexual.

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

I just assumed Dumbledore was a busy man and grew up with no time for bitches, since saying "gay forshadowing" just sounds, uh, odd.

Didn't it even only become an issue when they were doing the movie scripts and Dumbledore was gonna regale Harry with some childhood stories and one was supposedly about a girl he loved? I have no source for this, obviously, but how I heard about it was definitely tied to a continuity error in the movies or something.

Really though, I like to think Rowling is a master troll and that now that she has her zillions, she can say poo poo like "oh yeah Dumbledore was totally gay lololololol" and laugh all the way to the bank while homophobes fume. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Landwhale posted:

I just assumed Dumbledore was a busy man and grew up with no time for bitches, since saying "gay forshadowing" just sounds, uh, odd.

Didn't it even only become an issue when they were doing the movie scripts and Dumbledore was gonna regale Harry with some childhood stories and one was supposedly about a girl he loved? I have no source for this, obviously, but how I heard about it was definitely tied to a continuity error in the movies or something.

Really though, I like to think Rowling is a master troll and that now that she has her zillions, she can say poo poo like "oh yeah Dumbledore was totally gay lololololol" and laugh all the way to the bank while homophobes fume. :allears:

Ya and JK Rowling read the script and crossed it out with a note he is gay

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

You can tell where it was going to go too, when Dumbledore says to Harry "I feel I may have robbed you of a wondrous evening. She was truthfully, rather pretty."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You can tell where it was going to go too, when Dumbledore says to Harry "I feel I may have robbed you of a wondrous evening. She was truthfully, rather pretty."

I am guessing that caused them to add the line about him taking the magazines from the Muggles house.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

I am guessing that caused them to add the line about him taking the magazines from the Muggles house.

Haha. I thought it was jut Michael Gambon going "he's Gay? Well, gotta play the hell out of that."

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Haha. I thought it was jut Michael Gambon going "he's Gay? Well, gotta play the hell out of that."

In the book he says, "I do love knitting patterns" when Slughorn asks him why he was so long in the bathroom and he replies he was reading the muggle magazines :3:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
So is anyone else gonna try the early access thing for Pottermore?

I'm torn. On one hand I'm curious to check it out and on the other :effort:

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
For those that want to:

Magical Quill Day 1 clue

How many breeds of owl are featured on the Eeylops Owl Emporium sign?
Multiply this number by 49.

http://quill.pottermore.com/245

It'll take you to what seems like the normal Sony site, but there'll be a Magical Quill flash video, in which you have to click on the Magical Quill. Then you can register and get an awesome randomly generated username.

... And then, according to the FAQs, maybe they'll grant you early access? I don't know.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I got in (just before the buzzer, apparently) and it said to check my email, but nada so far. I wonder if they'll send an email saying "Welcome! Now Wait!" or just send it when the time comes to let you into the site.

Either way, I'm interested to see what secrets it holds.

Asclepius posted:

... And then, according to the FAQs, maybe they'll grant you early access? I don't know.

No, you get access to the site if you find the Quill and sign up before the spots are gone, BUT they are letting people in in groups, so you may get to go in to the sit next week, OR a week before it goes live for everyone. It's all random.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 31, 2011

Placenta_Souffle
Dec 30, 2010

finga lickin good
I have successfully validated my Pottermore account.

Now waiting and hoping that this site does not suck like the usernames I had the choice of picking.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I like my username. Kind of. I do understand the reason for doing it though. There will be a whole lotta kids on this site, and J.K.probably insisted on all kinds of security measures.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
The first batch of names I got were awful....so awful, that I signed up with a second e-mail account so I could get another name. The second e-mail account got a validation e-mail, and the first has not yet gotten one. My boyfriend signed up and got an e-mail. Now we have to wait for a second e-mail, since they are staggering the entry of all the beta people.

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
Any idea what time zone they're using?

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

k3nn posted:

Any idea what time zone they're using?

Everyone thought they'd do midnight Pacific, but it was an hour later than that last night. It appeared at 4am my time (Eastern).

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Pig Boots posted:

Everyone thought they'd do midnight Pacific, but it was an hour later than that last night. It appeared at 4am my time (Eastern).

This just seems strange to me. I guess the development team behind the website would probably actually prefer young adults testing out the site, as they'd be more perceptive of bugs and problems. But, it just seems really unfair that registration was 1-4 in the morning for some timezones. What kid is going to be able to be up that late? I mean, I know there's been a lot about the "Potter Generation" lately with the last movie, but this seems to be the first HP thing that's pretty exclusively targeted at adults.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Double Plus Good posted:

This just seems strange to me. I guess the development team behind the website would probably actually prefer young adults testing out the site, as they'd be more perceptive of bugs and problems. But, it just seems really unfair that registration was 1-4 in the morning for some timezones. What kid is going to be able to be up that late? I mean, I know there's been a lot about the "Potter Generation" lately with the last movie, but this seems to be the first HP thing that's pretty exclusively targeted at adults.

To be fair, that seems like a fairly reasonable time for the UK.

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!

Double Plus Good posted:

Are you kidding? Most young adults are still on summer vacation and don't go to bed till 2-4am regardless. Most adults wont be so lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
588 is today's answer. I got in, username choices were dumb but it still seems like it might be cool.

ffoecaf fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 1, 2011

• Locked thread