Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The Escape/Tribute seems to sell pretty well, so its not really a bad bet to make a softer, more economical, easier to drive SUV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

For me it's been a glorified station wagon since my best friend's mom bought the Eddie Bauer edition in the early 90's. And of course by the late 90's his younger brother had flipped the thing over in the rain and had to crawl out through the sunroof. I honestly don't understand why suv's are any "cooler" than wagons. You know what was cool? My sister and I sitting in the back seat of a wagon in a 12 hour road trip facing backwards, getting truckers to honk their horns.

Again, perceptions. Families needed to haul people and cargo and couldn't do that in a sedan. Minivans and SUVs weren't there/ready for most people yet. (Then again, they were ready in the late 80s or early 90s either but alas) They didn't handle well and then you had the Woody crazy all over the place that went stale REALLY fast.

Minivans and SUVs came along and offered a bit more utility with the high up driving position. Made drivers feel all dominating despite the fact their rides sucked almost as bad as the wagons they sold off in droves.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

The Escape/Tribute seems to sell pretty well, so its not really a bad bet to make a softer, more economical, easier to drive SUV.

Agreed, I'd rather have Ford offer a more economical Explorer for soccer moms than just continue churning out the same old thing. I'm assuming they will also offer one with a bigger motor and heavy duty suspension for towing small boats and whatnot.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

leica posted:

Agreed, I'd rather have Ford offer a more economical Explorer for soccer moms than just continue churning out the same old thing. I'm assuming they will also offer one with a bigger motor and heavy duty suspension for towing small boats and whatnot.

Nope, the V6 version can still only tow 5,000lbs. Ford and GM have both given up that market. The new Dodge Durango can still tow, being RWD with a V8 and all, for the same price as the Explorer.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
Ford also sells the Flex and Edge crossovers too. With those alternatives, Ford could've kept the Explorer as true truck-based SUV, but I guess the end of the Ranger doesn't help either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Are people here really upset that there's one less "truck sold as a car" out there? Ford has made an "SUV" that most of the SUVs market seems to want to buy that has car height bumpers, isn't incredbily heavy/top heavy, isn't a gas guzzler.

For years they've been selling the explorer to people who should have a car but want a truck. Now they're selling a car to to someone who thinks they're buying a truck.

quote:

only tow 5,000lbs

Seriously? only? Do you want more than 5000lbs behind a car with irs? The toyota 4runner is 5000lbs, the chevy colorado max is 6000lbs, the toyota tacoma is 6500lbs, the 1/2 ton pick-up based toyota sequoia is 7100lbs.

Not everything with a tow hitch needs to tow 11,000lbs

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

For years they've been selling the explorer to people who should have a car but want a truck. Now they're selling a car to to someone who thinks they're buying a truck.

This is probably the most insightful thing posted in this thread in a long time.

No thanks to me, of course.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

Seriously? only? Do you want more than 5000lbs behind a car with irs? The toyota 4runner is 5000lbs, the chevy colorado max is 6000lbs, the toyota tacoma is 6500lbs, the 1/2 ton pick-up based toyota sequoia is 7100lbs.

Not everything with a tow hitch needs to tow 11,000lbs

The Durango V8 is a car with IRS that drives better than the Explorer and can tow 7,400lbs? It's even pretty close to the V6 Explorer in price. That's why I said Ford and GM have surrendered the market to Chrysler. The only other car(not 1/2t BOF truck) with IRS, 3 row seating and similar tow capacity is its platform mate Mercedes GL, which costs 2x as much. I would take it even if I don't tow - who wants a FWD 4 cylinder when you can have a V8?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

who wants a FWD 4 cylinder when you can have a V8?

People buying based on price and fuel efficiency?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Motronic posted:

People buying based on price and fuel efficiency?

Currently, an Explorer Limited V6 FWD already costs $2,000 more than a similarly equipped Durango V8 R/T RWD. According to the press release, the I4 Explorer will cost an additional $995 more than a comparable V6.

So you pay $3k more for the Exploder with a 240hp I4, which at current fuel prices in the US will take about 55,000 miles to recover in fuel economy savings at the Explorer's combined 23mpg vs the V8 Durango's 16mpg.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Currently, an Explorer Limited V6 FWD already costs $2,000 more than a similarly equipped Durango V8 R/T RWD. According to the press release, the I4 Explorer will cost an additional $995 more than a comparable V6.

So you pay $3k more for the Exploder with a 240hp I4, which at current fuel prices in the US will take about 55,000 miles to recover in fuel economy savings at the Explorer's combined 23mpg vs the V8 Durango's 16mpg.

A v8 lariat f-150 is $200 less, weighs about the same, tows far more, and gets 1mpg better combined.

But it seats 1 less, so chrysler has that massive 2 adults + 5 kids + 7400lb boat market on lock.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

A v8 lariat f-150 is $200 less, weighs about the same, tows far more, and gets 1mpg better combined.

But it seats 1 less, so chrysler has that massive 2 adults + 5 kids + 7400lb boat market on lock.

The F150 is made out of railroad ties and oxcart suspension. You're the one who first made the car based vs 1/2ton truck based distinction. :colbert:

And you seriously don't think the 2 adults +5 kids + 7400lb boat market isn't massive? How many Tahoes and Expeditions do you think they sell every year?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Throatwarbler posted:

The Durango V8 is a car with IRS that drives better than the Explorer and can tow 7,400lbs? It's even pretty close to the V6 Explorer in price. That's why I said Ford and GM have surrendered the market to Chrysler. The only other car(not 1/2t BOF truck) with IRS, 3 row seating and similar tow capacity is its platform mate Mercedes GL, which costs 2x as much. I would take it even if I don't tow - who wants a FWD 4 cylinder when you can have a V8?

Nissan Pathfinder, up to 7,000 towing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

D C posted:

Nissan Pathfinder, up to 7,000 towing.

Pathfinder is BOF?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Pathfinder is BOF?

The Pathfinder is definitely a 7 seater

Edit: Hax, sure you said it wasn't

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

The Pathfinder is definitely a 7 seater

Edit: Hax, sure you said it wasn't

Yeah I got it confused with the Xterra for about 2 minutes. :ninja:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Nope, the V6 version can still only tow 5,000lbs. Ford and GM have both given up that market. The new Dodge Durango can still tow, being RWD with a V8 and all, for the same price as the Explorer.

Um, more like YEP? 5k is significantly more than what the four banger can tow so I don't see how I was wrong. 5k is pretty drat good for FWD, obviously if you need more than that you would look elsewhere, but for towing a small boat, trailer or camper it would be just fine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Throatwarbler posted:

And you seriously don't think the 2 adults +5 kids + 7400lb boat market isn't massive? How many Tahoes and Expeditions do you think they sell every year?

How many of those have all seven seats filled with live humans at any point?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cakefool posted:

We've had 7 in our 4Runner a bunch of times. And 6 quite frequently. It's nice to not have to take 2 cars.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Not to mention that it's nice to be able to move large amounts of stuff at the same time as, say, 4 people. My Dad drives a GL diesel, and it's been full up with people and/or stuff frequently enough that it was probably a worthwhile investment. And it gets better mileage than my car, so it's not like it's horribly wasteful to drive when you're not hauling lots of people or stuff.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cakefool posted:

Hardly ever. Mine's always just used for hauling dead ones.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think we all know that the 2nd gen Nissan Cube was the best looking little cube car :3:

bonus Cubeamino

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 29, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cream_Filling posted:

bonus Cubeamino

Provide me with all the information you have on this here vehicle.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

From like 2006.
http://jalopnik.com/169340/holy-nissan-its-the-cube+amino
Origin link is dead, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k52cg8k5YrI

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sometimes when I'm having a bad day I go and surf Dream Factory Blow's website, and everything is right with the world again.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Cream_Filling posted:

I think we all know that the 2nd gen Nissan Cube was the best looking little cube car :3:

I looked at this photo and then automatically wondered why I think the Cube is so ugly. Then I remembered what the current Cube looks like. They should have left it alone.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

travisray2004 posted:

I looked at this photo and then automatically wondered why I think the Cube is so ugly. Then I remembered what the current Cube looks like. They should have left it alone.

Wrong box car.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

travisray2004 posted:

It may not be great looking but at least it's not a Scion XB.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

D C posted:

Wrong box car.

All one in the same nowadays.

69sofine posted:

It may not be great looking but at least it's not a Scion XB.

Motherfucking touche.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I've been fairly interested in the Hyundai Veloster which is destined for Australia sometime later this year. It's got a suicde door but terrible looking wheels and a fat arse.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/124151/hyundai-veloster-review-first-drive/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
That Veloster looks pretty good.

You can always change the wheels. Stock wheels are never too great.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

tobu posted:

I've been fairly interested in the Hyundai Veloster which is destined for Australia sometime later this year. It's got a suicde door but terrible looking wheels and a fat arse.

It's a regular third door. like 69sofine said, you can change wheels.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
And it doesn't have a suicide door. Just a door.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I'm not actually interested in trading my Skyline in for a Hyundai... and drat you're right. The new mini has the single suicide door.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the other guys here, it looks not bad. I'd say it's filling the same "sportier than a normal hatchback, but not actually a sportscar" role that the VW Scirocco occupies, and at first glance I think I prefer the Hyundai.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with the other guys here, it looks not bad. I'd say it's filling the same "sportier than a normal hatchback, but not actually a sportscar" role that the VW Scirocco occupies, and at first glance I think I prefer the Hyundai.

It'll most certainly be much cheaper, not sure how S. Korea does in the reliability department compared to sie Germans.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

tobu posted:

I didn't even know about this car and after checking their website and that article it's now on my short list of cars to look into for next year. If they could up the horsepower/torque a bit that would help. For stock wheels I don't mind those at all.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I was excited about the toyota subie powered sports car but for 25k you only get 200 hp. Meh, I will buy a 500hp mustang and supercharge it. Oxcart owns.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boiled Water posted:

It'll most certainly be much cheaper, not sure how S. Korea does in the reliability department compared to sie Germans.
A friend has a Hyundai, and brother has one too. They're as good as anything else on the market, and have a very good warranty, I wouldn't have any questions over the car being reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

tobu posted:

I saw one in person at a show, it was a nice little car, well put together. On the driver's side it has a long door like a coupe and on the passenger side it has two smaller doors like a sedan. I heard they might also put out a turbo version if the original does well which would give it 200+hp