Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
That is a really common fact pattern in fight deaths. Someone dies after getting punched and falling to the ground hitting their head against concrete. I believe it's that second strike on the hard ground surface that causes the intracranial bleeding leading to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Grifter posted:

This thread has a fair amount of discussion on self-defense so I thought this might garner some interest. My local alt-weekly ran an article called one punched, about people who die (generally in fistfights) from one punch. What happens is that a fight starts, someone gets KO'd, they fall and it's the fall that scrambles their brains. Another lesson that fighting outside controlled environments is not a good idea!

This happened in my town and the guy that killed the other dude got off with 3 years house arrest. But he also spent like 300k in lawyers. Never fight in the streets folks.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thats why you train speed, not power.

Running speed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Grifter posted:

This thread has a fair amount of discussion on self-defense so I thought this might garner some interest. My local alt-weekly ran an article called one punched, about people who die (generally in fistfights) from one punch. What happens is that a fight starts, someone gets KO'd, they fall and it's the fall that scrambles their brains. Another lesson that fighting outside controlled environments is not a good idea!

My city had a guy die last year because a bouncer jumped him from behind after he'd left the premises, KO, hit the ground, dead

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Thats why you train speed, not power.

Running speed.

Truer words have never been spoken.

The art of run-jitsu is the most powerful self-defense system in the world.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Grifter posted:

Happened in my small hometown about three years ago. Some guy that was just watching a fight got sucker punched, fell and hit his head on the curb and died. The guy who threw the punch got involuntary manslaughter, charged with 3 years, and got out in a little over one. Alcohol and fighting is always a horrible horrible combination.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 29, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Is there anything to being drunk and getting OHKO'd and/or subsequently dying? Or does the alcohol not affect it? I know nothing about the science of it, but does the alcohol slow your brain so that its more susceptible to trauma? It seems that a lot of stories about it are outside of a pub or during a sports event or something where alcohol might be involved.

VV Ahh, I see.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 29, 2011

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Is there anything to being drunk and getting OHKO'd and/or subsequently dying? Or does the alcohol not affect it? I know nothing about the science of it, but does the alcohol slow your brain so that its more susceptible to trauma? It seems that a lot of stories about it are outside of a pub or during a sports event or something where alcohol might be involved.

I doubt alcohol has any physiological affect on it. Drunk assholes are going to be swinging for the fences and going completely limp and smacking your head on concrete can really gently caress you up.

Also your coordination is going to be way off if you're drunk so getting rocked by a punch that doesn't knock you out is going to be more likely to send you sailing to the ground.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 29, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't think alcohol has much to do with the actual injury itself because I know of a number of very similar deaths where absolutely no alcohol was involved. Alcohol simply is the lubricant that gets people in a fighting mood to begin with.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Grifter posted:

Someone I know died "play" wrestling with a friend outside of a bar. Yep, alcohol was involved, yep, he died because he fell on his back and was too drunk to roll with the fall, hit the back of his head on the asphalt, hard.

After that I was afraid of even shoving someone for a long long while.

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

The art of run-jitsu is the most powerful self-defense system in the world.

Also known as Nike-Do! I'm quite fond of it, especially explosive speed when you start the sprint has been a nice thing to have.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 29, 2011

imtheism
May 7, 2004
z leprechaun king
Would that make a practitioner a Nikedoka? I like the sound of that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
and if you're the guy that hit them, you get to go to jail for manslaughter or murder.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

imtheism posted:

Would that make a practitioner a Nikedoka? I like the sound of that.
Also if you cross-translate, I'm pretty sure this would mean that you are a practitioner of the way of victory. Run away from fights, succeed in life.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Welcome to the Machida Era

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://lifehacker.com/5825528/basic-self+defense-moves-anyone-can-do-and-everyone-should-know

Lifehacker article about basic self defense. I thought the part at the end about sexual assault was the most enlightening, in the least creepy was possible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So does this mean that parkour is truly the most superior art in a self defense situation?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

swmmrmanshen posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5825528/basic-self+defense-moves-anyone-can-do-and-everyone-should-know

Lifehacker article about basic self defense. I thought the part at the end about sexual assault was the most enlightening, in the least creepy was possible.

my general bjj strategy is alarmingly similar to sexual assault patterns.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So I've had a few Judo lessons now, and I'm really enjoying them, but the attitude of the people is weirding me out a little. It's like they're trying to be polite, but they're thoroughly convinced that their art is the be all and end all, and none of them have ever explored outside it. They let something slip here and there which sounds really arrogant, but they don't realize. Most of them were surprised that BJJ uses a gi.

It's fun but it's creeping me out a bit. Most martial artists seem to have at least dabbled in two or three different arts, but these guys are blinkered. Judo is supposed to be about making you a better person and all that, and BJJ has no such component, but I feel like I'm the most down-to-earth person there. Otherwise they're a pretty fun and relaxed club.

I'm not criticizing the entire martial art obviously, just the particular club I ended up settling on. Weird vibe.

I once had a Shotokan Karate brown belt tell me that it's pointless to learn Judo because in a real fight no one is going to let you get close enough to execute a throw.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Omglosser posted:

I once had a Shotokan Karate brown belt tell me that it's pointless to learn Judo because in a real fight no one is going to let you get close enough to execute a throw.

UFC 1 killed, burried and had the wake for that entire theory.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

This was like in 2005 when I was told this. It was kind of baffling. I didn't feel like getting into a stupid argument by bringing up such obvious points like UFC, Karo Parisyan, the Gracies, etc. I just let him bask in his KARATE-DO IS THE ONLY DO ignorance and walked away. Though I should've told him about the time a drunk fellow walked up to me and grabbed my collar.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Omglosser posted:

Though as the discussion has shown, if you do a really good throw, chances the guy's brain gives up are pretty high.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
In a real fight you don't even have to get as close to engage grappling because your opponent is presumably wairing a shirt or jacket you don't care about ripping as opposed to being a greased up guy wearing only shorts.

Office Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 30, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
It's pretty laughable how people explain away their deficiencies, especially for a supposed life/death encounter. (Oh I don't need to know how to strike, to grapple, to use a firearm, to be able to sprint, to grip fight with jackets, to fight no gi, etc....)

I really don't like the assumption that you're going to be against someone who is poorly skilled. People watch a lot of television, with the booning popularity of MMA people will try things.

There is some merit to training against someone who is behaving like they don't know what to do, in the beginning to learn basics. But you really need to cover everything.

Of course you do not necessarily need to know all of the expert topics pertaining to combat sports and you do need to differentiate between what is solely done for that sport and what is not self defense smart.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 30, 2011

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Senor P. posted:

It's pretty laughable how people explain away their deficiencies, especially for a supposed life/death encounter. (Oh I don't need to know how to strike, to grapple, to use a firearm, to be able to sprint, to grip fight with jackets, to fight no gi, etc....)

I'm always amassed by how casually firearms are part of the consciousness of people in America (I assume you are from there). It has come up a few times in this thread. The differences in attitude are striking.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Well, in all fairness, they're not uncommon here.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

UFC 1 killed, burried and had the wake for that entire theory.

If anyone hasn't watched the early UFCs I'd really recommend it. It's really cool seeing Royce Gracie walk up to people 50-100 lbs heavier than him and just dominate them.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Passed grading for my yellow belt (again). I can actually wear it now. Feels great to not have to wear the white, but I'll keep it to remind me of how awful I was when I started. I threw a blue belt 3 times in randori today. I'm really great at kouchi, I seem to pick the right moment.

On another note, my girlfriend bought me a Subaru Liberty (leather interior. its absolutely divine) so now I don't have to wait for her to get home from work and now I can actually get to Judo on time, and I can also start go to the Friday sessions. So my judo schedule will be mon, wed and fri. I usually use thursday and saturday for my weight lifting days but now that I'll be going on friday too that changes things.
So now should I just maybe do weights on saturday morning and do a full body routine so at least I'll have a few days off for the soreness to dissapear?
For me, a full body routine would be hammer curls, barbell curls, dips, tricep dumbbell extension, shoulder press, forearm curls, deadlifts and squats. Its a lot to pack into one day, especially considering the deads and squats but if I do 3 x 10 of each exercise with only a little bit of rest between sets it doesn't take too long. Any thoughts?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Passed grading for my yellow belt (again). I can actually wear it now. Feels great to not have to wear the white, but I'll keep it to remind me of how awful I was when I started. I threw a blue belt 3 times in randori today. I'm really great at kouchi, I seem to pick the right moment.

On another note, my girlfriend bought me a Subaru Liberty (leather interior. its absolutely divine) so now I don't have to wait for her to get home from work and now I can actually get to Judo on time, and I can also start go to the Friday sessions. So my judo schedule will be mon, wed and fri. I usually use thursday and saturday for my weight lifting days but now that I'll be going on friday too that changes things.
So now should I just maybe do weights on saturday morning and do a full body routine so at least I'll have a few days off for the soreness to dissapear?
For me, a full body routine would be hammer curls, barbell curls, dips, tricep dumbbell extension, shoulder press, forearm curls, deadlifts and squats. Its a lot to pack into one day, especially considering the deads and squats but if I do 3 x 10 of each exercise with only a little bit of rest between sets it doesn't take too long. Any thoughts?

I always try to get my big lower body lifting days 2 days before my next judo class or else I'm just too weak in the legs and I gently caress up "form" on techniques. I don't want to teach myself bad form and get that deep in my muscle memory and then have to work hard to correct mistakes that are hardwired into me. For any upper body stuff I'm always ok even if I trained the day before. Sure, if I lifted heavy then I tend to suck in randori, but I don't mind too much, forces me to work on getting the technique perfect if I want to get a throw.

and yay for kouchi!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
You make a good point. Maybe upper body weights on friday and then squats and deads on the saturday morning to give me those few days of rest before the next judo session. I think I'll stick with that. Thanks.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
IMO if you're training for Martial Arts you're doing it completely wrong.

You obviously don't have the time to focus on every little muscle like a bodybuilder as you indicated, and when the hell do you actually use only a single muscle? Never. Martial Arts use most of your body's muscles in conjunction.

so In my totally unscientific opinion, you should focus on either 5x5 (notice no curls whatsoever) or some sort of crossfit.

You do curls for the gurls, so they'll look at your pretty big arms. You need thin skinny arms so you can snake them in for arm triangles.

And generally, I lift in the morning m/w/f and train the same evening (BJJ)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I agree with Syphilis Fish that you should focus on actual full-body stuff, so no curls. Crossfit's pretty good, depending on the coach. If you can find somebody who will actually train you in olympic lifts, even better.

The squats, deads and dips are good, I'd drop the curls and maybe the tricep extensions and add: pull-ups, pressing (shoulder or bench), and barbell rows for now.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

even bodybuilders don't do that many curls in a single workout.

Go to W&W, read this book:http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Syphilis Fish posted:

IMO if you're training for Martial Arts you're doing it completely wrong.

You obviously don't have the time to focus on every little muscle like a bodybuilder as you indicated, and when the hell do you actually use only a single muscle? Never. Martial Arts use most of your body's muscles in conjunction.

so In my totally unscientific opinion, you should focus on either 5x5 (notice no curls whatsoever) or some sort of crossfit.

You do curls for the gurls, so they'll look at your pretty big arms. You need thin skinny arms so you can snake them in for arm triangles.

And generally, I lift in the morning m/w/f and train the same evening (BJJ)

I'd agree with that too. Personally I really like westside for skinny bastards as a MA routine. Sure there's some vanity lifting (there are curls) but you can just remove them if you want to solely focus on being better in MA or you can keep them in if you care about looks too.

I really don't know how you guys can do SS or 5x5 while rolling regularly. It just made me so weak in the legs that I switched routine after about 2 months. I just couldn't keep up with the 3x heavy leg days a week. One heavy leg day and a DE leg day is more than enough for me

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Question:

I started running intervals again when i realized my cardio went to poo poo over the summer and while the actual running is all fine and dandy i get absolutely splitting headaches afterwards.

No such thing in other training, just after running. The internet tells me to drink water and eat right but it's not helping much.

edit: poo poo, i just realized i should have went and asked this in the W&W running thread :doh:

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 1, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
W&W will probably know more, but how hot is it when you're running outside? Very hot weather has been associated with exercise-induced headaches.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Xandu posted:

W&W will probably know more, but how hot is it when you're running outside? Very hot weather has been associated with exercise-induced headaches.
It's been somewhere between 15C to 25C when i've been running. Sort of counts as hot around here but hardly a heat wave.

Might be a sleep issue too? I've been working nights and flipped my sleep cycle completely around for a couple of months.

VVVV Done that. Maybe i'm just not drinking enough?

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 1, 2011

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Illegal Username posted:

Question:

I started running intervals again when i realized my cardio went to poo poo over the summer and while the actual running is all fine and dandy i get absolutely splitting headaches afterwards.

No such thing in other training, just after running. The internet tells me to drink water and eat right but it's not helping much.

edit: poo poo, i just realized i should have went and asked this in the W&W running thread :doh:

Are you drinking water before and after? Dehydration can give you pretty bad headaches.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
People need to post more of their ridiculous cardio workouts.

Also I'm planning to not cut at all for my 160lb match. It's amateur/short so it's no real problem, but I'd rather be more cut and light when I step into the ring anyway.

For actual competitors, is this a bad idea?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

People need to post more of their ridiculous cardio workouts.

Also I'm planning to not cut at all for my 160lb match. It's amateur/short so it's no real problem, but I'd rather be more cut and light when I step into the ring anyway.

For actual competitors, is this a bad idea?
How much do you weigh walking around? Kinda depends on that.

If i feel like i should up my cardio training i do this:

Run up to the ski jumping hill at Puijo.
The run up and down the stairs that lead to the towers until i feel like puking.
Then run back home.

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay, I'm happy to do rippetoe's workouts on the morning of my Judo. I'm real... interested to see how I feel when I get to the dojo after squatting that morning. I'm a skinny guy (176lbs) so I'll have to keep my eyes open for over training. Its sorta funny that I thought I had the perfect workout all sorted out. Thanks everyone.

• Locked thread