Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Dread Head posted:

What's your processing for images like these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Dread Head posted:

These are great. So clean and simple. I might have cloned out the people (or person and dog) in the last one though.

Not sure about this one, maybe too dark?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

somnambulist posted:

What's your processing for images like these?

Very simple, usually I have 2 shots one for the sky, one for the foreground and then use a mask. The 2 beach ones are single shots, but I made a slightly darker shot with the raw for the sky as I didn't have my tripod with me.

Hotwax Residue posted:

These are great. So clean and simple. I might have cloned out the people (or person and dog) in the last one though.

I had considered cloning out the people, still thinking about. I usually don't like to clone stuff out, but I do once and awhile.

Edit: Hotwax, I think that one is a bit dark, at least the foreground. I feel that you have lost all the details and dont have anything that makes it up such as an interesting silhouette or something.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Dread Head posted:

Edit: Hotwax, I think that one is a bit dark, at least the foreground. I feel that you have lost all the details and dont have anything that makes it up such as an interesting silhouette or something.
Thanks. I was worried about that but wanted good contrast with the sun on the mountain. I'll have a crack at re-editing it.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Took this one tonight, at almost 10pm.

Sukoi Islands by b.kilkenny, on Flickr

I don't have a tripod, so I set my camera on a rock with my hat cushioning it.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Rented a 70-200mm f/2.8 for a trip to China, so I've pretty much been going mental with it.

Took this at Wulingyuan, in Zhangjiajie, stitched together with Microsoft Image Composite Editor.

I realized about 30 minutes into the trek up the mountain that I should've brought a wide-angle lens with me so I tried to make do with the 70mm end and multiple pictures.

Lediur fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 12, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Dread Head posted:

This is cool. Should have waited for the cloud the move more to the left (it looks as if it's moving that way, at least).

Or, cropping out the uninteresting bit on the left. The elements here are that cloud, the tree, and less so the ridge in the background. Focus on them. It's clear that's what you found interesting.

I mean I'm biased, but the way the hill in the foreground and the mountains in the background intersect when I square crop it to the right is really cool.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

This is cool. Should have waited for the cloud the move more to the left (it looks as if it's moving that way, at least).

Or, cropping out the uninteresting bit on the left. The elements here are that cloud, the tree, and less so the ridge in the background. Focus on them. It's clear that's what you found interesting.

I mean I'm biased, but the way the hill in the foreground and the mountains in the background intersect when I square crop it to the right is really cool.

I do have another similar shot with less mountain on the left but I felt it was a bit unbalanced, I will try to remember to post it tonight.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator
Finally getting around to doing post on my sets from Peru.
Just finished up the Machu Picchu ones. Pisaqu is next in queue.

http://phononphotography.com/peru2011

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Went to Alaska a while back:

_MG_1055 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr

_MG_0950 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr

_MG_1057 by Stealthdozer, on Flickr

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 29, 2020

Dj Ladze
Oct 5, 2008

Revolucion posted:

Shipsterns Bluff, Tasmania
That is indeed some sexy rocks! Love the light. Great shot!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah. Nice.

Have you tried it with more open space at the top (if that's an option)? It would make the space feel even bigger, and the person smaller.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone have any good recommendations for a graduated/neutral density filter set? I'm actually not sure if I should get a graduated set or a solid set. I want to use it for my 17-55 efs 2.8 which is 77mm. But, I would also like to be able to throw it on my other lenses, mainly my 100mm which is 72mm.

Any help? Should I get a set that fits a specific diameter, or is there a good set that fits over the lens where you just load gels?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Abnegatus posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for a graduated/neutral density filter set? I'm actually not sure if I should get a graduated set or a solid set. I want to use it for my 17-55 efs 2.8 which is 77mm. But, I would also like to be able to throw it on my other lenses, mainly my 100mm which is 72mm.

Any help? Should I get a set that fits a specific diameter, or is there a good set that fits over the lens where you just load gels?

For graduated filters always buy square filters big enough that they'll cover your biggest lens. If you buy a round 77mm graduated filter, you're stuck in that size and with the graduation line right in the middle of the image. If you buy square you can either hand hold or buy a holder and use them on all of your lenses.

They get expensive quickly, but I've read good things about the Hitech brand for an inexpensive alternative to something like Singh Ray. Cokin tend to have some pretty bad color casting, but their holders are pretty decent.

Graduated and solid filters do very different things. If you're constantly blowing out the sky while trying to expose the foreground, then buy graduated. If you just need to extend the exposure a bit longer, buy a neutral density filter.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Stillwater by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Auditore posted:

Stillwater by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Your white balance looks off here, the rocks look a little to purple I think. If you are set on the purple tones I would mask the rocks out with a better white balance.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Normally for landscapes I set my camera to Daylight in-camera, then just use whatever comes out of the camera as the best representation of white balance.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Revolucion posted:

Shipsterns Bluff, Tasmania

This is stellar.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Morning Light by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

windmillin'

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Mannequin posted:

This is my steeze right here. Love this. Square 4 life.

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

Grand Teton by johnm3000, on Flickr

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Dread Head posted:

I think this is the first time I can remember seeing a landscape of yours that didnt have over a 5 second exposure time.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
First time I've shared anything in a long time, any crit or feedback is more than welcome. I've been an enthusiastic amateur for my entire life but I want to get better.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

jm3000 posted:

Grand Teton by johnm3000, on Flickr

This is great. I've seen a lot of Teton photos but it seems like they are one of two or three vantage points. I'm excited to be there next week.

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

Z by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Been away for the past few days.

Cold point by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Maclean falls by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Purakaunui falls 1 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Purakaunui falls 2 by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Temperate by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Spray by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Curl by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Matai falls by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

Inlet by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

IMO the waterfall pics are the strongest, along with Cold point. I'm not so sure about the two wave ones, and the bush shot, I was looking for some ferns, the stream and the fallen log but I feel it's got too much clutter to be anything more than a offcut.

Let me know what you think.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Auditore posted:

Been away for the past few days.

This one is my favourite of the bunch.

The waterfall photos are well done, but I feel like I've seen them a thousand times before from other people. I think Inlet is much stronger than Cold Point, there's some really nice framing going on and the rocks in the foreground help to keep my eyes moving throughout the picture. I think Cold Point would benefit from a lower angle.

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This is great. I've seen a lot of Teton photos but it seems like they are one of two or three vantage points. I'm excited to be there next week.

While there are some vantage points that are very popular, there are few places in the park where you don't have a view of the Tetons, even the airport has good views of the Tetons. Enjoy your visit, it's such a beautiful part of the country.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Auditore posted:

Cold point by Nebuchadnezzar II, on Flickr

These are the two I favor most, Spray moreso than Cold point. They are both well executed, so it may just come down to me feeling like I have seen a lot of blue-hour slow shutter soft water against a rocky beach style photos lately.

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

Pillsbury by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

siig posted:

First time I've shared anything in a long time, any crit or feedback is more than welcome. I've been an enthusiastic amateur for my entire life but I want to get better.

The first square one is a nice composition, but seems underexposed and washed out. Thats kind of a look, though, so that may have been your intention. The second square one is obviously a nice place, and it's not bad, but the composition is a little empty. There aren't particular points of interest.

The first black and white is processed well technically.

Overall you just need to think more about composition. Just because you have a wide angle doesn't mean you need to use it for landscapes. I'm always a little weary of portrait oriented landscapes; the scene has to really call for it. I'm not sure it does in the three you selected.

Overall not bad stuff. One word: composition. This means different things for different people and your take on it is what makes your photos.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Thanks for the thoughts! I try to be conscious of composition but you're definitely right about that second square one--it's just a nice looking place, there's nothing really interesting about the way the photo is composed. It's not really an excuse but one fact about all of those photos except the last one (the one of the path at sunset) is that they were taken from a fast-moving train, so my options were kind of limited.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Where was this train?

siig
Apr 4, 2005

It was the Denali Star that runs between Anchorage and Fairbanks in Alaska. In summer (if the weather is clear) you get a full day of blazing sunlight through some truly beautiful country. Summer in Fairbanks is crazy, that sunset shot was at 1:00 AM--and even then the sun was only truly down below the horizon for about 5 minutes before starting to rise again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alaska has the most amazing summers I've ever experienced. It may only last a few months, but the weather is almost always perfect. In August it starts getting more gloomy and rainy, and by late September stuff is freezing over.

But May through July? No better time to be there.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

aliencowboy posted:

The waterfall photos are well done, but I feel like I've seen them a thousand times before from other people.

I have to agree with this. Though I'm sure they were fun to take, and you enjoy looking at them.

RazalasSol has produced something different though, and I really liked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

North Bridge by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

Taken last weekend on a Zenit EM with Fujiccolor 200 (expired in 2006). Even though the focus is entirely wrong, I really like the feel of it for some reason..

e:
this camera make for some nice skies

Castle by pimvanoerle, on Flickr