Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

daslog posted:

I've been tossing around the idea of picking up an Impreazza and doing a 22B body kit. Anyone here ever tried this? What am I looking at for a budget for the Body kit, wheels and tires?

I can source the rest though my wife (Subaru Dealer employee). It looks like a doable and fun project.

http://aerosim-research.com/shop/catalog/browse?sessid=NKgf3Ltf1z8b1wNxEDeqae13mKxXcrLo7CqwZ19JB3FCwL3l4s92awZ6blAt1Yrr&shop_param=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Yakattak posted:

I know Subarus last forever mileage wise, but I'm looking to get this RS with 170k on it.

I'm taking a look at it this weekend but is there anything specific I should look for with such high mileage?

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2493001416.html

e: besides the price

Price is way too high. No mention of headgaskets. Check rear wheel wells for rust.

I wouldn't spend more than 4k for an RS. 3k if the HG's haven't been done. Then again, when I sell my cherokee and look for a second RS, I won't be under a time constraint so I can afford to be picky.

You can get an 02 WRX for that price. But a 10 year old WRX is whole other post.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
$5500 would be the high end of acceptable price here but our market is insane. That is a lot of miles. As previously mentioned, make sure the headgaskets have been done and there's no rust.

White is a rare colour - I've never seen one before in that colour. Is that a US-only option, or has the car been repainted? cars101 lists it for 2001 so it was probably there in 1999 as well.

Additionally, for six grand I'd expect someone to have detailed the interior and source OEM-sized wheels and tires.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 29, 2011

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Lowclock posted:

A different car.

Alternatively, at the very least take it to an alignment shop and make sure the suspension and frame and poo poo are straight and that it wasn't a half-assed budget repair.

nm posted:

Get it to a body shop.
Front end damage can mean anything from a bumper respray to replacing the entire front end.

I assume a body shop could look at both of these? Do I just call a random place up and for a fee they'll check out the front end? Doesn't sound too bad.

I wasn't as worried because after the accident the original owner kept it for 2 more years, and the next person bought it and kept it for 4 years, but I should probably still get it looked at. Can I do the same thing for a mechanic? Just bring it in and have them look at it?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
What do we have here??

:q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q: :q:

VF30 is installed on my '02 wagon. I've only done a basic tune but holy poo poo is this nice. Driveability is the same, boost only comes on ~200rpm later, and pulls RIGHT into redline. Only running 16psi but going to spend a solid day this weekend getting it tuned right. Just sucks that I can't find a target boost map for a VF30 anywhere :(

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

I'll ask about the head gaskets and look at the wheel wells, but how can I make sure the seller isn't lying to me about them?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Yakattak posted:

I'll ask about the head gaskets and look at the wheel wells, but how can I make sure the seller isn't lying to me about them?

You don't ask directly. "Tell me about what maintenance has been done to this car."

If they don't list it... it wasn't done. If you ask "Have the headgaskets been changed?" they will always say yes. Unless they have receipts I'd never believe it.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Blaise posted:

You don't ask directly. "Tell me about what maintenance has been done to this car."

If they don't list it... it wasn't done. If you ask "Have the headgaskets been changed?" they will always say yes. Unless they have receipts I'd never believe it.

Very good idea, if they haven't been done, I imagine it would just be easier to walk away? I know that head gasket replacement is a tough job.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Yakattak posted:

Very good idea, if they haven't been done, I imagine it would just be easier to walk away? I know that head gasket replacement is a tough job.

I posted a lot of pictures when I did my head gaskets a few pages back in this thread. It's about 12 hours and 300 dollars in parts.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

daslog posted:

I posted a lot of pictures when I did my head gaskets a few pages back in this thread. It's about 12 hours and 300 dollars in parts.

So I'd be paying for the labor, I'm mechanically inclined but not nearly enough to do it myself. I have friends that can do it but I don't want to give them such a laborious task.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Blaise posted:

What do we have here??
VF30 is installed on my '02 wagon. I've only done a basic tune but holy poo poo is this nice. Driveability is the same, boost only comes on ~200rpm later, and pulls RIGHT into redline. Only running 16psi but going to spend a solid day this weekend getting it tuned right. Just sucks that I can't find a target boost map for a VF30 anywhere :(
Fapfapfapfapfap

Accessport or Openport?

Also, what injectors do you have? I'm on the stock turbo and my injectors are maxed out.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Wrar posted:

Fapfapfapfapfap

Accessport or Openport?

Also, what injectors do you have? I'm on the stock turbo and my injectors are maxed out.

Open source tuning. 650cc Deatschwerks. It seriously runs SO ridiculously well, I'm so happy with it for $650 (injectors/pump/turbo/TMIC). Can't wait to tune it more.

Also, it's on stock intake/exhaust. Silent beast :D

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Yakattak posted:

Only buy it if you can negotiate the price way down (what you'd pay-HG replacement cost)

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

nm posted:

Only buy it if you can negotiate the price way down (what you'd pay-HG replacement cost)

What would be a good estimate for that?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Yakattak posted:

What would be a good estimate for that?

Call a shop and ask?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

These are all great suggestions, I appreciate it guys. I've looked up online ways to identify the issue has already occurred and somewhere it said it typically happens around 100k so hopefully it was already fixed. But thanks for the warnings.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Yakattak posted:

These are all great suggestions, I appreciate it guys. I've looked up online ways to identify the issue has already occurred and somewhere it said it typically happens around 100k so hopefully it was already fixed. But thanks for the warnings.

You can "luck out" and have it not fail for quite a while. Just means there's more time on that bomb.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Just impulse bought a 24mm white line front sway bar, whiteline outer tie rod/ball joint kit (my car needed ball joints now and prob tie rods in not too long), and Whiteline ALK for $480 tax included ($450 for all before tax). I figure it was a pretty drat good deal so might as well jump on it.

Also bought an eBay short shifter cause for $20, worth trying out as well as a shifter bushing from summit and a 24mm rear sway bar to match. Should be fun soon!

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I picked up an 08 LGT a few weeks ago and noticed that when accelerating hard from anywhere below 3000 rpm that I get a quick stutter around 3500 and again at 4000 rpm. It feels like the car is pulling timing or cutting fuel as boost comes on. Checking around the interwebs, iwsti and nasioc seem to be a clusterfuck of answers be it boost leak or fuel starvation. The LGT forum just seems to say get a reflash at the dealer and it will fix it.

It seems to be pretty common with this generation of turbo Subarus, but I can avoid the stutter by easing into 3000+ rpm before the hard acceleration. The car just seems to go 'oh poo poo, boost' and forgets what it's supposed to be doing. What I really want to know is this, what is actually going on? The car is bone stock and still has a powertrain warranty so I'm not terribly worried at the moment. Would like to be able to resolve this as quickly and cheaply as possible to avoid future bobble-head scenarios.

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins
Changed my #3 coil (it had a large ring of oxidation around the ground, as well as some discoloration on the external coil - not a good sign), and it seems to have dealt with misfire issues I've had in the past, but unfortunately not the mysterious hesitation that seems to plague many modified subarus (2500-3000 rpm). Trying a WOT run, I now get overboost (missing my target with a 1-2 second spike of ~+4 psi on a stock 08+ STi turbo, then leveling out to about 2 psi over - I don't think the VF48 likes to make 24.8 psi). I've been learning to get quick at taking bits off when I have garage access on the weekends at my girlfriend's house.

What should I look for now? I've taken off the intercooler to look for any problems around it that I couldn't see (and because the compressor outlet was slipping a bit, which had me worried). I'm waiting for exhaust gaskets to come in so I can repair my exhaust leaks - hoping that will fix the problem. Probably going to go back mostly to stock (probably keeping the downpipe), since not being able to participate in any autocross events due to constant issues is kinda killing my enjoyment of the vehicle. If anyone's interested in swapping their VF48 for my VF48+external wastegate kit, let me know - perhaps your vehicle will not be cursed as mine was.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Terminus Est posted:

I picked up an 08 LGT a few weeks ago and noticed that when accelerating hard from anywhere below 3000 rpm that I get a quick stutter around 3500 and again at 4000 rpm. It feels like the car is pulling timing or cutting fuel as boost comes on. Checking around the interwebs, iwsti and nasioc seem to be a clusterfuck of answers be it boost leak or fuel starvation. The LGT forum just seems to say get a reflash at the dealer and it will fix it.

It seems to be pretty common with this generation of turbo Subarus, but I can avoid the stutter by easing into 3000+ rpm before the hard acceleration. The car just seems to go 'oh poo poo, boost' and forgets what it's supposed to be doing. What I really want to know is this, what is actually going on? The car is bone stock and still has a powertrain warranty so I'm not terribly worried at the moment. Would like to be able to resolve this as quickly and cheaply as possible to avoid future bobble-head scenarios.

I was able to tune some of this stutter out on my '05 OBXT by adjusting the wastegate duty cycle.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Terminus Est posted:

Why not grab a cable for your laptop and check to see what the ECU is doing via Learningview? It's awful nice to be able to see exactly what your ECU is doing...

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I'm debating at the moment between getting a cheap vag-com cable for logging only or spend the 160 for a tactrix cable to enable tuning as well. Already have the logger installed from romraider with definitions. Hopefully I'll have something within the week.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Some years can tune with a VAG COM

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...17&t=110768

02-03 WRXs can not, unfortunately for me. Ive been happy with my tactrix for the most part.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921677

ickna
May 19, 2004

Terminus Est posted:

I'm debating at the moment between getting a cheap vag-com cable for logging only or spend the 160 for a tactrix cable to enable tuning as well. Already have the logger installed from romraider with definitions. Hopefully I'll have something within the week.

your car is can-bus, so you won't be able to vag-com

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Lord Gaga posted:

Just impulse bought a 24mm white line front sway bar, whiteline outer tie rod/ball joint kit (my car needed ball joints now and prob tie rods in not too long), and Whiteline ALK for $480 tax included ($450 for all before tax). I figure it was a pretty drat good deal so might as well jump on it.

Also bought an eBay short shifter cause for $20, worth trying out as well as a shifter bushing from summit and a 24mm rear sway bar to match. Should be fun soon!

Watch that short shifter's weld. I've heard a few stories of them snapping. You'll most likely be fine.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

ickna posted:

your car is can-bus, so you won't be able to vag-com

I was under the impression that logging was still able to be done via vag-com, just no flashing. Thus my inner debate of $20 versus $160 for a cable.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Terminus Est posted:

I was under the impression that logging was still able to be done via vag-com, just no flashing. Thus my inner debate of $20 versus $160 for a cable.

looks like you're right, according to:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2108996

I'd still lean more towards the tactrix just because you'd actually be able to do something about your problem after you log, instead of paying $20 to have a bunch of excel sheets and still basically be where you started.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

c355n4 posted:

Watch that short shifter's weld. I've heard a few stories of them snapping. You'll most likely be fine.

Ill give it a good look, if it looks iffy Ill give it an extra weld bead. For $20 it wasn't even worth machining myself even if I had prints!

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Lord Gaga posted:

Ill give it a good look, if it looks iffy Ill give it an extra weld bead. For $20 it wasn't even worth machining myself even if I had prints!

Yea, that is what most people did! :p

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Terminus Est posted:

Edit: dont buy this

How about this guy?

Blaise fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 1, 2011

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Blaise posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BFM-...sQ5fAccessories

How about this guy?

Blaise be praised. That is exactly what I need. Thanks.

Nevermind. Doesn't support can-bus apparently.

Terminus Est fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 1, 2011

ickna
May 19, 2004

Terminus Est posted:

Nevermind. Doesn't support can-bus apparently.

it looks like a rebadged and marked up ebay vag-com for gullible tunas

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

ickna posted:

it looks like a rebadged and marked up ebay vag-com for gullible tunas

Yeah I figured that out after I looked at it more.

:( Sorry I'm lucky enough that my friend has a Tactrix I can borrow. Having fun :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/meblaise/ROMRAIDER.jpg

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
So girlfriend backed the car into the garage and did this –

Pretty sure this isn't going to be buffed out, and looked for replacement parts. Subaruparts is horribly unhelpful, and I'm going to try and head to the dealer this week to see what I can do about this.

Any links / advice on going about replacing this?
Thanks.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Just Another XY posted:

So girlfriend backed the car into the garage and did this –

Pretty sure this isn't going to be buffed out, and looked for replacement parts. Subaruparts is horribly unhelpful, and I'm going to try and head to the dealer this week to see what I can do about this.

Any links / advice on going about replacing this?
Thanks.

File an insurance claim and get a new Fender. Is there any reason you can't bring it to a body shop?

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
So it's come to this.

I spent months working on this 97 Outback (on and off as weather permitted...no garage). It didn't pass safety inspection in December due to massive oil leakage from the timing cover. I replaced the cam seals, crank seal, oil pump o-ring, idlers, timing belt, and waterpump, and took it to be inspected today. It failed. There's coolant dripping from the timing cover, so I'm thinking I must've cocked up the waterpump gasket when I was putting that drat thing on. That, and since it was sitting so long (6 months) the rear brake rotors that were like 8 months old rusted to the point of being unrecoverable. I'm calling it quits on this car.

*sigh*

Anyways, getting rid of this car puts me in the market for a new vehicle. My girlfriend likes CRVs and RAV4s, and other vehicles of that size. We're looking at Foresters since they tend to go for significantly less than the aforementioned Honda and Toyota equivalents around here (Philly 'burbs), but my major concern there is the head gaskets. Is there a certain year cut-off where this problem was eliminated completely?

P.S. If anyone wants a 97 Subaru Outback for $400 and you're in the Philly area let me know. It actually starts and runs fine, and hasn't been overheated. New timing belt! :q:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Have similar damage on our forester from some douche in a parking lot. Today my wife got two quotes today for 500 and 1000 we are looking for a third..

Lord_Xar
Feb 1, 2006
Oh... I'm evil to the core!
My 99 Legacy Outback poo poo the bed the other day. The harmonic balancer came out of harmony? Got it towed and the shop said the bolt that holds it onto the crank shaft fubard and the crank is stripped. Now, I have an aftermarket warranty on the car and it says that the crankshaft is covered. Adjuster came out and came to the conclusion that since it was the bolt that stripped the shaft, they won't cover it.

Kind of at a loss as what to do. I don't have 3k laying around to pour into this car for a new engine. Should I go after the warranty company and if so how? Any advice ya'll could give me would be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Jared592 posted:

P.S. If anyone wants a 97 Subaru Outback for $400 and you're in the Philly area let me know. It actually starts and runs fine, and hasn't been overheated. New timing belt! :q:

Why are you so far away?! If this was in orlando I'd be picking it up today.