Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I think I'd go with PC Gamer UK's reactions a little more than PCG US (if it even exists?). I mean, major releases have always been hyperbolic, but if they were fine with the PC version, then it can't be all bad!

Also, petitioning to have launch thread title include 'Sci-Fi CoD' in there somewhere. Like, literally the gaming public has no memory beyond 5 years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

StickySweater posted:

Jesus Christ. Killzone comparison? Really? loving console gamers. If they gave it an 80, then it must be awesome.

He's comparing the graphics of 2 PS3 games for his PS3 magazine.

Settle down, jesus.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
edit: Actually this seems to read more like a preview. That's what I get for trusting other people!

Alright jerks, settle down i made a mistake.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 29, 2011

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

Supernorn posted:

Someone's uploaded scans of the full review already. It's six pages??:

http://deusex-humanrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/06/pc-gamer-july-2010-issue-cyberpunk.html

Yeah, that's the preview from last year, not the review.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Supernorn posted:

Someone's uploaded scans of the full review already. It's six pages??:

http://deusex-humanrevolution.blogspot.com/2010/06/pc-gamer-july-2010-issue-cyberpunk.html
Can you spot the problem here?

Let me help you out a little..

Saturday, 5 June 2010

:bravo:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

He's comparing the graphics of 2 PS3 games for his PS3 magazine.

Settle down, jesus.

Well the full context isn't there so you could be right, they may have been making a graphics comparison. I didn't read it that way at first.

Also, I'm 27, why can't modern game reviews compare Deus Ex 3 to Kings Quest 5 and Dune 2 Arg!

vvvv Read it as an assessment of gameplay. It is a pull quote that's supposed to represent the overall impression of the game. You're probably right, but that wasn't how I originally saw it, hence my frustration at the comparison.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 29, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
What else would it have been? I mean Killzone was splendiferous in so many ways!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Happy Blue Cow posted:

World's first Deus Ex: Human Revolution review is here "A game that puts almost everything else in the genre to shame," says PC Gamer

94%

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/313559/deus-ex-human-revolution-pc-gamer-review-awards-94/

:woop:

This is way to early for a review and PC Gamer already has credibility issues to begin with. It's a good review score but i'm going to ignore it until more come out.

ariagloris
Jan 9, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is way to early for a review and PC Gamer already has credibility issues to begin with. It's a good review score but i'm going to ignore it until more come out.

ariagloris fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 29, 2011

Reive
May 21, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Disagree on both statements.
I felt that stealth was too effective compared to pure combat and that boss fights are more that just shoot-it-until-it-dies.

Also,

My desktop is sooo augmented.
I searched 20 pages on google images looking for the amazing one I have on my other PC, and not a sight of it, I feel unique, I'll post it next time I'm on it.

e:

ariagloris posted:

I love you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ariagloris posted:

God drat, that is an awesome gif. :staredog:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Neosuki posted:

It would only be worth it if he could jump 30 ft instead of the augmented 9ft

and if the game went in to bullet time when you did it.

ariagloris posted:

Must be added to the OP

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

/whisper He took that gif from Facepunch, guys.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Seems to still work fine!

ariagloris
Jan 9, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Disagree on both statements.
I felt that stealth was too effective compared to pure combat and that boss fights are more that just shoot-it-until-it-dies.

/agree

On the hardest difficulty setting towards the end of the leak, I found that doing anything other than peak-a-boo was a death wish. Even as a combat build it was difficult to leave cover for extended periods of time.

As far as the review goes... on the surface, yea seems legit. What will make a break in the long run is the underlying story, and the reality that actions will have consequences.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ariagloris posted:

On the hardest difficulty setting towards the end of the leak, I found that doing anything other than peak-a-boo was a death wish. Even as a combat build it was difficult to leave cover for extended periods of time.

and as we all know, playing Deus Ex on anything else but the hardest difficulty is a waste of time.
I wish they put some more ammo around or at least quadrupled the amount of ammo you can buy in stores. Scarce ammo does not make Deus Ex more challenging, it just makes me ignore every other weapon except for 10mm Pistol and just pump all upgrades into it. (Laser Sight + Silencer + AP Ammo + several DMG and Capacity mods = sweeeeeeeeeet)

Another thing i don't particularly like is how slow takedown animations are, I have nothing against animation themselves, they're pretty neat but they could be twice as fast really, to stop them from breaking the flow so much.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I played the game for about half an hour in the AMD media lounge at Comic Con. It was on their new EyeFinity 3 monitor system, which turned out pretty awesome. The game felt like the first one, I was sneaking around, shooting fools, getting EXP points, playing some strange mini game to hack doors and bombs, I snuck around in vents (which looked strange in 3 monitors) and never had enough ammo (which is a good thing, because you need to remember this isn't a balls out shooter).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW8rhX_4r7Y

The game looked good to me. I wasn't allowed to get much actual on screen footage, but I did do a little video showing off mainly the eyefinity and got some gameplay in there. I'm really looking forward to the third one, looks like they got it right. But I didn't get ANYTHING on the story or plot and didn't leave the one level they put me in.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Looks like the single-pip recharging was never changed. That is pretty disappointing.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm going to Hong Kong in a few weeks. I'm going to do business in Wan Chai and visit the canals at night.

I heard its not advisable for tourists to do this.

brambi
Dec 10, 2007
trapdoor <3

Jack Trades posted:

What the hell does that matter? It's still blazing awesome.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Another thing i don't particularly like is how slow takedown animations are, I have nothing against animation themselves, they're pretty neat but they could be twice as fast really, to stop them from breaking the flow so much.

I agree completely, the takedowns would have been way cooler if they were faster or maybe even were in first person sometimes. The animations lost their novelity fairly quickly.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Fredrik1 posted:

I agree completely, the takedowns would have been way cooler if they were faster or maybe even were in first person sometimes. The animations lost their novelity fairly quickly.

Yeah, I noticed that a lot because I was always out of ammo, so I just started killing everyone hand to hand. Maybe they put those cut scenes in so you wouldn't just run around and instant kill everyone silently.

It's nice you can tap it and just knock them out too, but I wasn't sure if they would wake up eventually or if it was just so you could role play a no death game. Didn't see any other ways to non-lethally take down bad guys, hope the game has a tranq dart gun.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

From the PC Gamer review:

I'm sure this must be that Jensen is "patient zero" or whatever for the aug-acceptance genome. If so, that's really lame, since the second I read it I IMMEDIATELY knew where the game was going to go with it, and if it ends up making it a big shocking reveal at the very end? Ugh.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Linguica posted:

I'm sure this must be that Jensen is "patient zero" or whatever for the aug-acceptance genome. If so, that's really lame, since the second I read it I IMMEDIATELY knew where the game was going to go with it, and if it ends up making it a big shocking reveal at the very end? Ugh.

It's all but spelled out that this is the case if you snoop through some medical files about Jensen at, I think, the LIMB clinic

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Adam nooo the bitch was only into you for your DNA sample

edit: Is it really a spoiler if it's pure speculation?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 29, 2011

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Linguica posted:

Given the way Adam Jensen's been written so far, I think they'd have Adam's response be something like "figured as much", or "why am I not surprised?"

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
gently caress, I moused over the first 4 words of that spoiler and kinda remember what the text was about.

Now the game is spoiled for me.

Preorder canceled.

:smugdog:

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 29, 2011

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
It would be kind of neat if they did a check for how many clues the player found about the whole Patient X business while playing, so when Adam is supposed to comment when "directly told about it" (or however the reveal happens), it would range from complete surprise to utter indifference since, gently caress, he knew about that aaaaages ago. It's just probably one of those "man, it's so obvious, really" things that some people will still end up missing.

Probably won't happen, though.

Cream_Filling posted:

welp
I laughed, but don't be a dick. :v:
edit: As a response to your edit, probably not, but let's keep it safe, okay? :3:

Tecman fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 29, 2011

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

unpurposed posted:

gently caress, I moused over the first 4 words of that spoiler and kinda remember what the text was about.

Now the game is spoiled for me.

Preorder canceled.

You know you are just teasing more people into peaking themselves now. I usually don't care about that, unless the only thing is the reveal, but most of the time knowing what happens doesn't instantly mean it won't be a fun ride. I know what Space Mountain is going to do each time, but I still like it.

But yeah, do us all a favor and try to minimize spoilers.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

AxeManiac posted:

You know you are just teasing more people into peaking themselves now. I usually don't care about that, unless the only thing is the reveal, but most of the time knowing what happens doesn't instantly mean it won't be a fun ride. I know what Space Mountain is going to do each time, but I still like it.

But yeah, do us all a favor and try to minimize spoilers.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was just joking.

There's no way I'm canceling my preorder. Too excited and I don't really think it's that big of a spoiler anyways.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Yeah, personally I don't give a flying gently caress about spoilers anymore (I used to, that whole Megan bit in the comic pissed me off at the time), and it's going to be fun playing "connect the dots" with all the information I've gathered from the leak / previews / the book / the comics / various hints. It's just that not everyone did that, and the previous thread got kind of bad with spoilers flying all over the place, and a lot of people stopped reading the thread because of that. So I'm just trying to keep the place as spoiler-free as possible for that crew. :shobon:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm 99% sure that the secret hidden stuff is either the datapad about Patient X or one of the Megans lengthy mails.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I'm 99% sure that the secret hidden stuff is either the datapad about Patient X or one of the Megans lengthy mails.

Patient X is Kubrick :v:

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Someone posted scans of the review over on Reddit. Is it cool to link to those? I can never remember.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

Patient X is Kubrick :v:

That would've been gold.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

FadedReality posted:

Someone posted scans of the review over on Reddit. Is it cool to link to those? I can never remember.

excerpt are fine, entire magazines are not. Reviews should always be fair game, those are not exclusive really, they are meant to be seen.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

AxeManiac posted:

excerpt are fine, entire magazines are not. Reviews should always be fair game, those are not exclusive really, they are meant to be seen.

Right on. Here's the album.

I didn't think I could get more excited for this game after the beta but it just happened.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FadedReality posted:

I didn't think I could get more excited for this game after the beta but it just happened.

"I named mine Gunther":3:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

FadedReality posted:

holy poo poo game magazine writers are so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Game journalism somehow manages to be worse than music journalism

• Locked thread