Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

burmart posted:

The dad from Alf might actually be an interesting interview and a step up.

http://www.holytaco.com/alfs-dad-loves-gay-sex-and-crack/

I'm pretty sure half the cast hated working on the show so yeah, it could be interesting.

Since we are rehashing the 80s/90s, when was the last time Pam Anderson was on the show? Howard talks about her sometimes like he sees her every other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
And the dad from Alf worked with Artie on Norms show on ABC, bet Artie and him had fun!

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
The news is only good when

- Gilbert is there.
- Robin tells a story about the Spiderman musical and Howard starts singing about Spiderman.

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

jerkstore77 posted:

- Robin tells a story about the Spiderman musical and Howard starts singing about Spiderman.

Do you loooove me?

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

I just wikipedia'd the end of that musical. Oh god.

As Mary Jane dangles from the Chrysler Building, the Goblin sits at a piano and humorously boasts to the audience of his plan to destroy New York City ("I'll Take Manhattan"). Spider-Man arrives and engages in a fierce battle with the Goblin but is soon unmasked. When it seems all hope seems lost, Spider-Man straps the Goblin to the piano and thrusts it over the edge of the Chrysler Building - taking the Goblin down to his death. With Peter's secret identity now revealed to Mary Jane, the two contemplate their new life together before sirens begin wailing and Spider-Man swings away ("A New Dawn" (Finale)).

Wow. How could anyone take this seriously? That Goblin role has to be humiliating to do.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

an adult beverage posted:

I don't think it's funny when Robin is wrong, I think it's funny that she's so confident with her wrong answers. She has this proud self-assurance that she could never be wrong. A normal person who isn't sure on the answer to something would be like "hmm, I think there are five Harry Potter movies, but I don't know that for sure."

No one has yet mentioned my favorite Robin gaffe of the week: when she was doing a story on the Spider-Man reboot and referred to Doctor Curt Connors, the Lizard, as "Doctor Luh-zard."

Also: Howard tossed out "honey badger don't give a poo poo" like three times this week. No one on the show reacted to it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

GenoCanSing posted:

That Goblin role has to be humiliating to do.

I dunno, seems kind of fun to me.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Stern's Spider-Man musical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYAhjBHQ0Hs

I'm Spider-Man. I can't believe Aunt May is angry with me!
I'm so...misunderstood!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

jerkstore77 posted:

The news is only good when

- Gilbert is there.

The news hasn't been enjoyable since Artie left.

And I'd add to that list any news story about or audio clips from an Amanda Peet film.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Did Howard just learn the word "commiserate" or something?

He uses it (incorrectly) about 16 times during that Superfan Trivia bit.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is Amanda Peet the woman Howard hates?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, she was rude to Beth or something back when Beth fetched coffees for film directors or whatever it is she did before Howard scooped her up.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, she was rude to Beth or something back when Beth fetched coffees for film directors or whatever it is she did before Howard scooped her up.

Hey hey, she appeared as an extra in four Letterman bits. The woman had a career, damnit.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ether Frenzy posted:

or whatever it is she did before Howard scooped her up.

Men from her own generation?

My lady is 7 years younger then me and we get into awkward conversations all the time about it, I can't imagine almost 25 years between Howard and Beth. The conversations they must have... doesn't help Howard is completely out of the loop on popular culture.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

AxeManiac posted:

Men from her own generation?

My lady is 7 years younger then me and we get into awkward conversations all the time about it, I can't imagine almost 25 years between Howard and Beth. The conversations they must have... doesn't help Howard is completely out of the loop on popular culture.

I am six years older than my husband and we have the same type of disconnect - I was talking about when the Challenger accident happened, we were watching it in school. I was in 5th grade and I VERY clearly remember watching it happen live. After I told this story about how it really was upsetting and no one understood exactly what was going on when it blew up and how kids were crying his only response was "Wow. Great story. I wasn't even IN school in 1986." Dick.

I also wonder how it works with Beth and Howard. She goes out without him quite a lot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I really hate the hosts of Geek Time but I love their guests and they do decent interviews. It's a great show when its not Appletalk.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Hoooooly poo poo, I'd forgotten Eric the Midget set up his own trip to the Bunny Ranch using the "emergency" credit card given to him by Johnny Fratto. And right after he blew off a dude from the Ranch who brought a girl to California for him. What a rude, obnoxious and annoying midget.

And now onto 2009. Thanks for pointing out the highlights, guys. I've got my next week of listening laid out for me.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

FogHelmut posted:

I really hate the hosts of Geek Time but I love their guests and they do decent interviews. It's a great show when its not Appletalk.

It really is. The show has made me go full circle on Ralph though, and now I'm back to step...uh...whichever step it is in the Ralph continuum where you can't stand him. Same with Booey on TWUS.

Incidentally, I feel the same way about Last Call with Carson Daly. I think he's really irritating and a horrible interviewer, but his show is usually pretty interesting because he gets good guests etc.

Skitz fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 30, 2011

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Skitz posted:

It really is. The show has made me go full circle on Ralph though, and now I'm back to step...uh...whichever step it is in the Ralph continuum where you can't stand him. Same with Booey on TWUS.

Incidentally, I feel the same way about Last Call with Carson Daly. I think he's really irritating and a horrible interviewer, but his show is usually pretty interesting because he gets good guests etc.

How is that though? Does he get them to open up like Howard does, or do they just start spilling anyway?

example? I'm just curious because I've never seen the show.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.

chiz posted:

How is that though? Does he get them to open up like Howard does, or do they just start spilling anyway?

example? I'm just curious because I've never seen the show.

It's not so much about opening up or spilling, he just usually has good, compelling guests who have something to say or are working on interesting projects, and who tend to be off the beaten path a little. Actors, filmmakers, musicians, chefs, artists, you name it. He does the show at a different location in L.A. every time too, usually a bar or restaurant, so he's able to have casual, relaxed conversations with the guests rather than being on a studio set and hitting talking points. He's a big music fan too, so his band showcases are generally pretty solid.

That said, his interviewing skills are horrible, and the segments that are good are good because the guests are interesting without him, not because he makes them so. Give it a shot and you'll see what I mean.

I dunno. I used to hate it, but I've been watching Jimmy Fallon a lot recently and just absentmindedly staying on NBC when Jimmy's over, and I started realizing I was actually enjoying it. It can be pretty hit-or-miss, but when it hits, it's solid.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Vacation again...are they always off the first week of August?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

Vacation again...are they always off the first week of August?

I came here to ask the same thing! Wonder how many days he's going to be on this month?

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
holy gently caress didn't they just take two weeks off?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

In July around the 4th. They also take time around Labor Day.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002
hahaha I get ten days a year and they can't be consecutive (two weeks in a row) between april and october.

although I weaseled going in late june/july to go to Italy for two weeks

chiz fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 1, 2011

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

chiz posted:

hahaha I get ten days a year and they can't be consecutive (two weeks in a row) between april and october.

although I weaseled going in late june/july to go to Italy for two weeks

I got yelled at for being out sick too long after surgery (12 days), last week on my first week back. Howard and his vacations are a bitter pill to swallow after that!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I get 3 weeks vacation and can roll over up to 2 weeks into the next year.

But my pay is literally a joke. I've been looking for a new job, and a corporate recruiter from another company actually laughed when I told her my current salary.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I get 3 weeks vacation and can roll over up to 2 weeks into the next year.

But my pay is literally a joke. I've been looking for a new job, and a corporate recruiter from another company actually laughed when I told her my current salary.

I am in a similar situation. I was laid off a little over a year ago, and I've been under employed ever since. I had to take a sizable pay cut. I was at a place for several years, and then now I have had two jobs in the last year. Sigh.

But go ahead Howard. Take as much vacation as you need. ;)

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

I am in a similar situation. I was laid off a little over a year ago, and I've been under employed ever since. I had to take a sizable pay cut. I was at a place for several years, and then now I have had two jobs in the last year. Sigh.

But go ahead Howard. Take as much vacation as you need. ;)

Hey, he's just a normal working joe like you. Those chimneys don't pay for themselves.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I honestly wish Howard just retired at the end of the last contract. All this contract is doing is ruining the legacy he worked hard to establish. The show is rubbish, I couldn't honestly tell you the last time I listened to more than 30 minutes of a new show. The frankly ridiculous amount of vacation time now coupled with a 3 day a week schedule makes it harder to catch a live show than to keep up with a series on Cartoon Network.

If he wanted to do something like this then he should have "retired" and did a live show once a blue moon and make that great. Instead he is basically trying to kill off his audience so he doesn't feel guilty for retiring. I feel bad for anyone working on the show since you know morale has to be through the floor. No one can feel good about the quality of the product being put out. Couple that with the fact that maybe 4 people are going to be employable once the show goes off the air, it is just bad juju.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

I honestly wish Howard just retired at the end of the last contract. All this contract is doing is ruining the legacy he worked hard to establish. The show is rubbish, I couldn't honestly tell you the last time I listened to more than 30 minutes of a new show. The frankly ridiculous amount of vacation time now coupled with a 3 day a week schedule makes it harder to catch a live show than to keep up with a series on Cartoon Network.

If he wanted to do something like this then he should have "retired" and did a live show once a blue moon and make that great. Instead he is basically trying to kill off his audience so he doesn't feel guilty for retiring. I feel bad for anyone working on the show since you know morale has to be through the floor. No one can feel good about the quality of the product being put out. Couple that with the fact that maybe 4 people are going to be employable once the show goes off the air, it is just bad juju.

I feel pretty much the same, although it sounds like I still listen a bit more than you. I guess it's something to listen to and pass the time at work, but I can't remember what the last thing was that got me somewhat excited. Maybe the IQ tests? What was that, a year ago?

I honestly wonder if they realize the show as taken a sharp turn south? I'm sure some people there do, but do you think Howard does? Booey? Robin? I think they actually might have no idea, or be in denial. Who's going to tell them: Eric from Hoboken?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

heavy liquid posted:

I feel pretty much the same, although it sounds like I still listen a bit more than you. I guess it's something to listen to and pass the time at work, but I can't remember what the last thing was that got me somewhat excited. Maybe the IQ tests? What was that, a year ago?

I honestly wonder if they realize the show as taken a sharp turn south? I'm sure some people there do, but do you think Howard does? Booey? Robin? I think they actually might have no idea, or be in denial. Who's going to tell them: Eric from Hoboken?

I too am in this same boat. I listen very passively, when I listen at all. I tune in first thing in the morning, but usually shut the show off in the 7 AM hour when they get into the stupid guests and the silly "The Biggest <blank> contests. Usually I tune out after Lisa does the news, and then back in during Robin's news.

I also wonder if anyone there knows how terrible the show is. Most people I know who listen are pretty annoyed by the schedule change and are starting to listen less and less.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I honestly haven't listened in months. I get my news from you guys in the thread. Even Howard's twitter turned into poo poo and it's just an advertisement for Howard TV. All things interesting are lost.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Hard to judge with all the on-air screened calls of adulation and Stern Fan Network insanity. Two polar opposites with no real median to determine what people are thinking, although I consider the posters in this thread to be probably the best source of anything Stern related or humor.

Reading about people struggling with jobs and vacation reminds me of during the holidays when Howard said, "Don't tax me and I'll pass the extra money around! Trickle down baby!" and I wanted to vomit.

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.
"One last time Eric, what do you want to be called?"
"Eric the UNGRATEFUL PIECE OF poo poo midget."

I can't believe i've listened to almost 72 hours of ETM calls, it's hypnotic.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Moniker posted:

Even Howard's twitter turned into poo poo and it's just an advertisement for Howard TV.

Hey, he posted a super over exposed pic of Beth today!

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Birthday Cake posted:

"One last time Eric, what do you want to be called?"
"Eric the UNGRATEFUL PIECE OF poo poo midget."

I can't believe i've listened to almost 72 hours of ETM calls, it's hypnotic.

Last night I put all my ETM clips into Winamp--the calls from terrestrial 2002-2005 and then Sirius 2006-2009--and it totaled up to 83 and a half hours.

And after spending all day yesterday in bed with a sinus headache listening to the little twerp, I've only got one clip left in 2009 :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Someone needs to email this to Robin:

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/01/colon-cleansing-not-so-healthy-analysis-says/

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

Hey, he posted a super over exposed pic of Beth today!

I thought maybe you were exaggerating for dramatic purposes, but WOW is that photo he posted on Twitter terrible. Is overexposure like that a "thing" in photography? If it is, it's so underground it's invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Then again, Beth has to clip Howard's toe nails because he's too blind to see them.