Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!

caberham posted:

Understanding exposure, that's the only starter book you need :)

Hey guys, I'm such a klutz and previously lost a s90 in a cab in Thailand, now I lost my s95 going across the US :laffo: Even though I do have a few spare batteries and chargers, I really don't want another s95 as much as I love it.

Any other recommendations to the s95? I take touristy pictures of food, want a second curtain sync for parties or low light, fast light, and good controls for manual. Good video would be great too, as I will be like a travel dad at times and take videos of all sorts of mundane things. And probably heavy processing because I will shoot in RAW + JPG and stick with JPGs most of the time. It seems like the Olympus XZ-1 is a good contender but any other alternatives?

I soooo want to just bite the bullet and get a x100 or a richo GR1s but I need to save money for my Japan trip.

How about that new Sony that a lot of people seem to rate?

//edit - that's nothing, my mate left his Leica M8 in a hotel room drawer, and never got it back. Insurance didn't pay out either. He's still heartbroken about it. He's the one with the X100 - he holds it forlornly, like one might hold the slightly simple sister of your first wife, during an ill-advised relationship after the first wife was tragically left in a hotel drawer.

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm actually looking for recommendations as well. The s95 looks awesome but 400 is just alot of money, especially since I'm not that experienced so maybe I don't need all the features? That said, are there better options in the sub 300 range? Or should I just tough it out and get the s95?

One note: I definitely want the camera to fit in my pants pocket if possible. We will be using this camera for a trip to Europe.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm actually looking for recommendations as well. The s95 looks awesome but 400 is just alot of money, especially since I'm not that experienced so maybe I don't need all the features? That said, are there better options in the sub 300 range? Or should I just tough it out and get the s95?

One note: I definitely want the camera to fit in my pants pocket if possible. We will be using this camera for a trip to Europe.

You could try to find a used s90.The 95 isn't very different from the 90. I think the biggest thing is it has a bit better video.

What you're paying for with the S series is the use of RAW (which is useful in post processing), fast 2.0 glass for low light, and good performance up to ISO 800. These are the reasons why most us serious photography goons like the S90/95; it's one of the best point and shoots for low light. Not to mention the size is perfect. Any point and shoot will work well in good light, only the good ones will work well in low light.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 29, 2011

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Haggins posted:

You could try to find a used s90.The 95 isn't very different from the 90. I think the biggest thing is it has a bit better video.

What you're paying for with the S series is the use of RAW (which is useful in post processing), fast 2.0 glass for low light, and good performance up to ISO 800. These are the reasons why most us serious photography goons like the S90/95; it's one of the best point and shoots for low light. Not to mention the size is perfect. Any point and shoot will work well in good light, only the good ones will work well in low light.
So then is there a step below those, like the elph series or something, that still shoots well in low light?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

So then is there a step below those, like the elph series or something, that still shoots well in low light?

Aside from the G and S series and maybe the D10 underwater, the point and shoot models change so frequently it's hard to keep track of them. Generally with Canon P&S the more you spend, the better the camera is and the standard piece of advice around here is to just buy the most expensive Canon you can. The main exception to this rule is stay away from bridge cameras which are bulky and lovely.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the Sony recommendation! A lost M8 with no insurance, drat. On a brighter note, I found out I actually purchased a loss/damage plan so hopefully I can just go to the police station and file a police report and get reimbursed. *fingers crossed*. I'm sooo tempted to get the Olympus XZ-1 but time to hit the show room and play with them all.

Lowness 72 posted:

Checking out the used section in Amazon wear house there's a new recent Panasonic LX-5 at just 300 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=used

You can start playing with manual controls and enter the gateway of splurging lots of money into photography :suicide:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Takes No Damage posted:

Damnit guys, I think my s90 has a dead pixel on the sensor :cry:

Even if you don't get it fixed, that's something that you can clone out of an image no problem.

tron-
Jun 8, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Try a refurbished S90 from Canon for $280

Scipio
May 27, 2003
Tender Warrior Poet
Trying to find something pocketable that my wife can take to the club and hand off to one of her friends, who is likely mentally handicapped and/or drunk. She had a Sony T99, which is slim and cute, but doesn't produce nice images in the club environment, plus when we go to concerts the 4x zoom isn't really up to snuff. Ideally we want something with at least a 10x zoom.

We looked at the Nikon 8100, but the multi-image exposure confused the hell out of everyone, so it's probably not the best for her.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Nothing is going to give you great photos at concerts unless the lights are very bright because most point and shoots are designed to use slow shutter speeds in lower light conditions while relying on image stabilization which is great for posed photos, but isn't so great when you're trying to photograph someone jumping around. Also, point and shoots in general aren't great in low light conditions because the sensors are very noisy compared to a DSLR sensor which is much larger.

When you use a point and shoot camera at 10x zoom while trying to photograph in low light, you're fighting a slow lens (usually around f/5.6 by the time you're zoomed all the way in), a weak sensor and a moving subject. It's a losing battle unless you get lucky.

If it's a club environment, just get closer to the front and use a point and shoot like an Olympus XZ-1 which is not optimal, but much better suited for low light photography than a superzoom.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It seems like I actually bought a lost/damage waiver when I purchased the s95 so I had a $100 store credit. I tried a few higher end point and shoot cameras. The Panasonic LX-5, Olympus XZ-1, Nikon P300.

The LX-5 had a very clunky UI and the lcd menu items were very pixelated circa 2008. Not much of a change compared to the LX-3. Maybe I'm too entrenched into the canon controls but even using full manual mode required 2 different more button presses for each adjustment. I actually don't know much about this camera so if someone else can fill me in that would be great. Tripod thread not centre :(

The Nikon P300 felt like Nikon's interpretation of the S95. UI wise felt like the entry level D3000 but second curtain sync features was lacking and the focus modes so-so. However, full time manual controls was smooth. I didn't get to play around the more detail options like art filters and colour options too much because I was too enamored with the XZ-1. Tripod thread not centre again :(

The XZ-1 is actually a bit bigger than the other cameras, not as big as G12 but comparatively bigger than the other models. It actually comes in with a lens cap and feels like a DSLR interpretation of a mini Fuji X100. It can snugly fit into the back of your jeans pocket but you will definitely will not be sitting down on them where as the canon s95 is small enough to do that.

F1.8 and front wheel to make adjustments to the native mode. Record button has to be held down all the time but I love it for video (only 1080i, but it's good enough for me as I can settle down for 720p). Is 1080p really worth it and manageable for uploading and storage? I guess the question is kind of redundant as some people store their photos RAW and some JPEG. Super macro mode is really nice and can get the camera all the way to the front element of the lens. It has colour modes and other art filters like other camreas but not so sure about the fancier modes such as minature mode or HDR compared to the s95.

My biggest complaint is the cumbersomeness of the flash mode. I do like the manual pop activated pop up flash which is faster than the electronically activated s95 but the integration with the rest of the UI is cumbersome. If I activate macro mode or super macro mode, flash is automatically off even if I focus on normal subjects and people. So I have to switch the auto focus mode each time I take a snap shot of a plate of food and a plate of food and my friends in a restaurant. 2nd curtain sync and ISO mode is also hidden deep within the menu. Club, party, night social events can use a nice 2nd curtain sync easily.

The nice thing I suspect, is that the sensor is actually stronger for higher ISO modes like 800+

The GF3 looked like a fisher price toy but the tap touch screen to focus and take pictures is addictively fun. Size wise is just a few mm bigger than the XZ-1 and combined with the pancake makes it a lot more economically than the x100.

I wish I had more money, or want the next version of x100 to come out and iron out all the x100 problems :smith: Better yet, wish I have enough money to hire a team and build the perfect point and shoot for me.

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 2, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Both the S90 and the S95 were announced in the middle of August, has there been any rumors about a new model?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I know the common advice is buy an S95, but I really loathe Canon. I'd be all over the Nikon P300 if it shot raw, but I hesitate because it apparently won't. I shoot on a D3100 when luggage size isn't an issue, and I'd be using the P&S pretty much exclusively for business trips when I don't want to carry my SLR. Are there any other cameras I should consider?

This site makes it sound like the Nikon is roughly better in almost all respects except lack of raw anyway (edit: Oh, and the sensor. How big a deal is the sensor?):

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lx5-vs-canon-s95-vs-nikon-p300-15928

And it brings up the LX5, but the price combined with the increase in size puts me off.

I guess it's basically down to how much I care about RAW, and since I'm basically sightseeing with this camera, I'm not sure it REALLY matters. The fact that it shoots faster, has a faster lens, and has better battery life, in addition to not being Canon, ... I dunno. I'm tempted to just go for it.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 2, 2011

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005

caberham posted:

Record button has to be held down all the time

Just posting to say this isn't the case with mine - but on the flip side I've found the recording to be a bit smudgy in terms of quality. (If you know what I mean). Don't forget to try out the ND filter. That's been more useful than I imagined, especially in afternoon outdoor shots.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

qirex posted:

Both the S90 and the S95 were announced in the middle of August, has there been any rumors about a new model?

Actually, you might be on to something ... according to DPreview, both the S90 and the S95 were announced on August 19th. I think I'll probably at least wait until the 19th before I buy a P&S - I may hate canon, but if they make something totally irresistible, I, well, won't resist it. Hah.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

What's wrong with Canon anyway?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Haggins posted:

What's wrong with Canon anyway?

Disclaimer: I'm aware this is petty and likely just due to the employee I spoke to, not necessarily the company.

Back in February, I bought a refurb XSi from Canon. Within two days of receipt, the flash release stopped working. I phoned Canon up and let them know. They refused to replace it with a different camera, stating that they would repair it, but would not replace it. Since this would make the second time they tried to fix the camera, I did not feel comfortable with this. Canon refused to budge, and that's why I now own about $2500 of Nikon gear.

Basically, I think that was a bad customer service move, especially given I was buying my first DSLR.

Edit: I'm not so principled that I would buy an inferior camera because of the experience. Now I'm just wondering if the faster shooting of the Nikon mightn't be worth the loss of RAW. The Olympus XZ1 looks like a great option, but the price sucks.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 3, 2011

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So let me get this straight. The nikon s95 equivalent is:
1. Cheaper
2. Faster
3. Better battery life

If I dont care about raw then the nikon sounds like the better deal. Does the canon shoot better in low light or something?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Lowness 72 posted:

So let me get this straight. The nikon s95 equivalent is:
1. Cheaper
2. Faster
3. Better battery life

If I dont care about raw then the nikon sounds like the better deal. Does the canon shoot better in low light or something?
Probably not. The sensor is bigger, and the camera is marginally smaller. Those combined with the ability to shoot RAW are what is making me still consider it. From the reviews I've seen, though, the Nikon is looking pretty good.

Edit: thought it wouldn't do MF, found out it's just a strange implementation.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 3, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Disclaimer: I'm aware this is petty and likely just due to the employee I spoke to, not necessarily the company.

Back in February, I bought a refurb XSi from Canon. Within two days of receipt, the flash release stopped working. I phoned Canon up and let them know. They refused to replace it with a different camera, stating that they would repair it, but would not replace it. Since this would make the second time they tried to fix the camera, I did not feel comfortable with this. Canon refused to budge, and that's why I now own about $2500 of Nikon gear.

Basically, I think that was a bad customer service move, especially given I was buying my first DSLR.

Edit: I'm not so principled that I would buy an inferior camera because of the experience. Now I'm just wondering if the faster shooting of the Nikon mightn't be worth the loss of RAW. The Olympus XZ1 looks like a great option, but the price sucks.

I'd probably be pissed too so I can't blame you. However, I will say that a few of us goons, including myself, have had great service in regards to our S90/95s. A couple months ago the LCD went out on my S90. It was one month out of warranty, but I figured I'd give it a shot and send it in to Canon. I mailed it USPS priority on a Saturday and had it fixed and back on my doorstep the following Friday. No questions asked and the only thing I paid for was the $4 to ship it to Canon.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That sensor, the convenience of the controls and ability to shoot RAW are pretty much the whole reason the S90/5 gets recommended.

Without those features the Nikon is more like a high quality version of Canons lower end point and shoots (the Ixus 300HS for instance)

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_sd4000is&products=nikon_cpp300&products=canon_s95

If you're not planning on shooting RAW anyway or using manual controls then I can see the appeal of the Nikon

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Haggins posted:

I'd probably be pissed too so I can't blame you. However, I will say that a few of us goons, including myself, have had great service in regards to our S90/95s. A couple months ago the LCD went out on my S90. It was one month out of warranty, but I figured I'd give it a shot and send it in to Canon. I mailed it USPS priority on a Saturday and had it fixed and back on my doorstep the following Friday. No questions asked and the only thing I paid for was the $4 to ship it to Canon.

dissss posted:

That sensor, the convenience of the controls and ability to shoot RAW are pretty much the whole reason the S90/5 gets recommended.

Without those features the Nikon is more like a high quality version of Canons lower end point and shoots (the Ixus 300HS for instance)

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_sd4000is&products=nikon_cpp300&products=canon_s95

If you're not planning on shooting RAW anyway or using manual controls then I can see the appeal of the Nikon
Just ordered the S95. Screw you guys ;)

tron-
Jun 8, 2007
The best thing the S90/S95 has going for it are the controls! If there was a point and shoot that had better optics and a better senor but required me to dig through menus to change aperture or exposure compensation, I wouldn't touch it.

It's a camera that fits in your pocket and is a dream to use if you are used to SLRs. The optics and image quality are a bonus. If you're a manufacturer bigot, go ahead and use something inferior. It's a tool, not a part of your identity.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tron- posted:

The best thing the S90/S95 has going for it are the controls! If there was a point and shoot that had better optics and a better senor but required me to dig through menus to change aperture or exposure compensation, I wouldn't touch it.

It's a camera that fits in your pocket and is a dream to use if you are used to SLRs. The optics and image quality are a bonus. If you're a manufacturer bigot, go ahead and use something inferior. It's a tool, not a part of your identity.
Keep reading

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Is a refurbished s95 a safe bet, or am I better off spending the extra fifty on a new one. I am headed to Italy for two weeks and would rather save as much as possible, but I also do not want a dog..

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

Is a refurbished s95 a safe bet, or am I better off spending the extra fifty on a new one. I am headed to Italy for two weeks and would rather save as much as possible, but I also do not want a dog..

If it's refurbished from Canon, it should be fine. Many a goon has had good experiences with refurbs from Canon.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Haggins posted:

If it's refurbished from Canon, it should be fine. Many a goon has had good experiences with refurbs from Canon.

My refurb s90 has held up like a champ.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

s95 arrived, memory cards and spare battery should be here tomorrow. Anyone have a suggestion for a good case and screen protector? My wife and I are headed to Italy for a few weeks and I would like to carry it in my pocket if possible..

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Canonrumors is saying an S100 (though likely to be renamed) will be released soon. Anyone have any details?

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."

Ropes4u posted:

s95 arrived, memory cards and spare battery should be here tomorrow. Anyone have a suggestion for a good case and screen protector? My wife and I are headed to Italy for a few weeks and I would like to carry it in my pocket if possible..

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/leather-carrying-case-for-canon-s90-brown-40101

Fits my s95 perfectly.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

I like the other official one a lot.The leather is very high high quality, it doesn't add much bulk to the camera, has a belt loop, and the flap tends to stay closed when you want it to.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lowness 72 posted:

Canonrumors is saying an S100 (though likely to be renamed) will be released soon. Anyone have any details?

No but the S90 and S95 were both announced in mid-August so it seems likely.

I use this case because it's durable as hell and I can strap it onto my bag [plus it was free]. It's not really pocketable though, I usually just carry my camera "bare".

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 19, 2011

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys,@12 days after the olympus xz-1 and I got buyers remorse :( It's still a good camera with awesome video, ND filters, panorama and advanced capabilities but as a snap shot travel/party/social camera it's clunkier than the s95.

I think the XZ-1 is like a EPL lite. Size wise it's similar so in my opinion I would have gotten a PEN instead. Not counting the cost of the lens, I would have gotten a used EPL1 kit.

What I really want now is the s100 with better video. It's the jean backpocket size of s95 which@I like the most.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Will this fit in my pocket?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Thoughts on the newly released canons? Pissed that no new s95 came out. Might just go for it anyway.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."

Ropes4u posted:

Will this fit in my pocket?

Yep, although it does add bulk. Fits in jeans pockets tightly and cargo pockets generously.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Lowness 72 posted:

Thoughts on the newly released canons? Pissed that no new s95 came out. Might just go for it anyway.

I hear you on that. I'm still torn between G12 and s95, and was hoping a new S100 would make up my mind for me.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I hear you on that. I'm still torn between G12 and s95, and was hoping a new S100 would make up my mind for me.

All rumors in the past have pointed to a September release, so perhaps you should wait a bit longer. And anyway, I think it's an easy decision between those two. Get the s95. The G12 is bulky enough that personally I'd rather just have a micro4/3 camera instead. The optical viewfinder on the G12 is pretty crappy and not really a selling point for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Costello Jello posted:

All rumors in the past have pointed to a September release, so perhaps you should wait a bit longer. And anyway, I think it's an easy decision between those two. Get the s95. The G12 is bulky enough that personally I'd rather just have a micro4/3 camera instead. The optical viewfinder on the G12 is pretty crappy and not really a selling point for me.

The g12 is maybe like a micro 4/3 without an attached lens, which is a big difference. It also is longer than the S95 and as fast or faster than the S95 at the long end. Also more manual controls, closer macro. And I'm a sucker for flippy screens (have a 60D as well). But I got to handle an S95 a bit on Saturday, and that beautiful bright screen is pretty great. That, the size, fast lens, and the $100 price difference are keeping me undecided.

If I wait too long, I'll probably "accidentally" click buy on an X100...

Unrelated question- how big a deal is it not to have box/manual/cables, etc when selling a P&S? I'd like to sell my bridge camera (Panasonic DMZ-FZ50)- these appear to go for > $200 (it's a pretty great camera for a slightly out-of-date bridge), and if I sell it here on SA it will be priced to move, but I'm wondering how much I should realistically deduct if I can't manage to find the accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The g12 is maybe like a micro 4/3 without an attached lens, which is a big difference.

What I mean is, when you have to carry it in a camera bag anyway instead of just in your pocket, the size difference b/w the G12 and an micro4/3 camera suddenly is pretty negligible.

• Locked thread