Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Alman posted:

And then stock prices take a 17% hit :(

That's not in relation to the deal, though, right? I also saw there were some pretty significant losses for the quarter. I would assume that's more the cause of the stock hit. But I don't really follow or understand stocks and corporate finances, so I dunno.

My main question, regarding LTE, is what to expect on the phone front moving forward. I don't see Wimax getting turned off any time remotely soon, but I am curious as to when to expect LTE devices to start showing up.

Also, has AT&T actually done anything with LTE yet? Or are they still just doing the HSDPA+ thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

brc64 posted:

That's not in relation to the deal, though, right? I also saw there were some pretty significant losses for the quarter. I would assume that's more the cause of the stock hit. But I don't really follow or understand stocks and corporate finances, so I dunno.

My main question, regarding LTE, is what to expect on the phone front moving forward. I don't see Wimax getting turned off any time remotely soon, but I am curious as to when to expect LTE devices to start showing up.

Also, has AT&T actually done anything with LTE yet? Or are they still just doing the HSDPA+ thing?

I think investors are more scared about the fact that a) a lot of eggs (cash) are being thrown into LightSquared's basket - what if the GPS issues leads to unusable spectrum? and b) what happens to Clearwire? A deal was just re-inked with them, and so now investors (as part of that earnings call) are seeing that a lot of capital expenditure is happening, but not enough cashflow to recoup all of that spending, at least in the status quo

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

With regard to Premier Silver overrides, does that just mean you won't be able to email someone and get an upgrade on your account? Or does it mean those of us who have gotten the override put on our account already will lose it come July 31 if we don't buy a phone by then?

It tends to be a little case by case, and I don't have an exact answer. But like before, basically it is a very good idea to get the upgrade officially "bumped" to saying you are eligible just in case. It definitely would not keep you eligible otherwise, and while I cannot guarantee that the "bump" will stay, I would bet it would and it takes 2 minutes to do.

brc64 posted:

AT&T I believe is rolling out LTE to 5 cities this summer, something like a dozen by the end of the year. They are way behind.

Regarding LTE phones, who knows. It seems Sprint will pretty easily be able to mix and match coverage with Network vision, but jury is out on how easy it is to A. keep old phones working on WiMax and how fast they will transition. Keep in mind they also have the Nextel frequency transition as well.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 28, 2011

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Duckman2008 posted:

It tends to be a little case by case, and I don't have an exact answer. But like before, basically it is a very good idea to get the upgrade officially "bumped" to saying you are eligible just in case. It definitely would not keep you eligible otherwise, and while I cannot guarantee that the "bump" will stay, I would bet it would and it takes 2 minutes to do.

I've already gotten it bumped up, I just haven't used it on a phone yet and wanted to make sure I could still use it if I decided to hold out for the Within, instead of blowing it on the Photon this weekend.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
Weird thing: every time I'm in penn station (and roaming) every text I receive gets post-dated by four hours. So like if I receive a text at 4pm, it will show up as received 8pm. Until the time is actually 8pm and I get something new it will always be the most recent thing. Kinda annoying.

Difference Engine
Mar 30, 2009
While we're kinda on the subject of Epic and Galaxy 2: I got an Epic last September and for a few months I was pretty into updating/modding/loving with it. There was a lot of hating on Samsung then because they waited for so long to push froyo. Shortly after froyo leaked, I updated to it then kinda just stopped loving with my phone for a while, and in the past few days I went back and saw that Gingerbread is out now, which kinda surprised me. Were they super late in releasing that too? Ive been out of the loop for a bit so I'm not sure.

I was wondering if/why people are still hating on Samsung as much as they were a while back? I see the Galaxy 2 is coming out soon and it looks really nice. Besides the spotty update schedule that Samsung had a few months ago, I was pretty happy with my epic. But then again its my first smartphone so I don't really have much to compare it to. I am considering getting the Galaxy 2, but if Samsung still has some serious problems then I may reconsider. Are people still just bitter about the poo poo they pulled or do they still have a ways to go?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Difference Engine posted:

While we're kinda on the subject of Epic and Galaxy 2: I got an Epic last September and for a few months I was pretty into updating/modding/loving with it. There was a lot of hating on Samsung then because they waited for so long to push froyo. Shortly after froyo leaked, I updated to it then kinda just stopped loving with my phone for a while, and in the past few days I went back and saw that Gingerbread is out now, which kinda surprised me. Were they super late in releasing that too? Ive been out of the loop for a bit so I'm not sure.

I was wondering if/why people are still hating on Samsung as much as they were a while back? I see the Galaxy 2 is coming out soon and it looks really nice. Besides the spotty update schedule that Samsung had a few months ago, I was pretty happy with my epic. But then again its my first smartphone so I don't really have much to compare it to. I am considering getting the Galaxy 2, but if Samsung still has some serious problems then I may reconsider. Are people still just bitter about the poo poo they pulled or do they still have a ways to go?

a) Samsung hate is deserved.

b) Still (if it was possible) I would take the European version of the SGS2 over any other phone (even the EVO 3D).

c) That said the CMDA version is not going to be the same phone. Most of us who skipped the 3D have a wait and see attitude about the SGSII. While some people seem to be hoping it will suck some of us think it would be great if HTC (HTC since the Mogul for me, I want a change) wasn't the only one making good Android phones. Also good chance Samsung is making the Nexus ICS (which is the phone I am waiting on), and if the SGSII is good that will be a great sign for the next Nexus.

d) Samsung hate is still deserved until they prove different.

Fake edit: As a person with 5 lines I have a EVO, EVO Shift, EVO 3D, Epic, and a Hero. I know it is going to shock people but we like the Epic a lot more than the Shift.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I follow Epic development pretty closely. There has been a pretty steady series of Gingerbread leaks for the past few months. In fact, the first Gingerbread .rdf was spotted on Sprint's site not long after Froyo was officially released for the Epic.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Weird thing: every time I'm in penn station (and roaming) every text I receive gets post-dated by four hours.
Sounds like a timezone fuckup. EDT is four hours behind GMT/UTC. So if you receive a text at 4pm EDT, it'll have a timestamp of 8pm UTC. Somehow via roaming the timestamp is reinterpreted at 8pm EDT (12am UTC) and the message appears to come from the future.

Worse yet, in winter you'll have a future message for five hours.

King Metal
Jun 15, 2001

blargle posted:

Just tried the speed test app (east coast, my house is in a 4G zone):

3G: 20KB/s download, 15KB/s upload
4G: 560KB/s download, 100KB/s upload

I had no idea 3G was this bad.

I don't think the 3G tests well. I get horrible speeds like that with speedtest, but when I actually use it to watch youtube or google music, it peforms as expected.

I get about 5mbps on 4G in my house.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

There was a lot of hating on Samsung then because they waited for so long to push froyo.
There's basically three main reasons for Samsung hate with respect to the Epic: (i) Froyo took forever to get released, (ii) when Froyo was released it broke a bunch of poo poo, much of which still hasn't been officially fixed, including (iii) GPS that was broke from the day the phone was released all-the-way-through the latest GB leaks.

Were they super late in releasing that too?
Gingerbread hasn't been officially released. Samsung isn't super-late here relative to other carriers, official HTC updates didn't roll out until the past month or so. That said, it's likely GB hasn't hit yet for the same reason that Froyo took forever, which is that it's broken, they're working on it, but it's still broken, and who knows when the thousand-monkeys they employ as engineers will make it "just not broken enough" to pass the Android CTS.

Besides the spotty update schedule that Samsung had a few months ago, I was pretty happy with my epic.
Honestly Eclair ran rather well on the Epic, aside from broken GPS assistance on non-3G-data. But the Froyo update seriously broke poo poo, including: hardware keyboard responsiveness (dropped keys), GPS assistance issues, GPS crashes, Bluetooth mumble (which I don't use). Mind you, these are confirmed "we know what the bugs are and have fixes for them" issues, that Samsung couldn't be bothered to push themselves.

Also, the aborted Froyo update, which something like half or 2/3rds of users received OTA updates for, also majorly broke the Camcorder function. That, and neither OTA update was particularly smooth, breaking the data formats on the Contacts and Calendar applications, requiring many folks to manually purge and resync data. Neither of which is fatal, but is something that regular users shouldn't have to figure out.

Are people still just bitter about the poo poo they pulled or do they still have a ways to go?
When Samsung releases a US CDMA device that they provide timely support for (both updates and bug fixes), I'll be happy to recommend them. In the mean time, it's a crapshoot. Even if you could purchase a device that works reasonably well today, there's no guarantee that it won't get hosed by an update.

On the other hand, HTC folks are the ones who seemed to have gotten pretty hosed by the latest Gingerbread updates, so meh.

nate fisher posted:

I know it is going to shock people but we like the Epic a lot more than the Shift.
That doesn't surprise me. There's actually a good deal to like about the phone, particularly if you're unaffected by the few problems it does have.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 28, 2011

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Is the optimus still the go-to "my mother wants a smart phone and doesn't care about 4g" phone?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

oxbrain posted:

Is the optimus still the go-to "my mother wants a smart phone and doesn't care about 4g" phone?
If she's on SERO Preimum, the Kyocera Echo is a bit more powerful and worth looking at.

If she's not, the Optimus S requires the same $10/mo premium data fee as the 4G phones do. The Samsung Replenish, however, does not.

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Weird thing: every time I'm in penn station (and roaming) every text I receive gets post-dated by four hours. So like if I receive a text at 4pm, it will show up as received 8pm. Until the time is actually 8pm and I get something new it will always be the most recent thing. Kinda annoying.

I have this issue also when roaming through Arkansas sometimes. I downloaded a program called SMS Time Fix from the market that takes care of it.

onecooldana
Jan 29, 2006

BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SEND 'EM A MESSAGE
BLAH BLAH BLAH

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly Eclair ran rather well on the Epic, aside from broken GPS assistance on non-3G-data. But the Froyo update seriously broke poo poo, including: hardware keyboard responsiveness (dropped keys), GPS assistance issues, GPS crashes, Bluetooth mumble (which I don't use). Mind you, these are confirmed "we know what the bugs are and have fixes for them" issues, that Samsung couldn't be bothered to push themselves.

Also, the aborted Froyo update, which something like half or 2/3rds of users received OTA updates for, also majorly broke the Camcorder function. That, and neither OTA update was particularly smooth, breaking the data formats on the Contacts and Calendar applications, requiring many folks to manually purge and resync data. Neither of which is fatal, but is something that regular users shouldn't have to figure out.
Oh God these are my problems. They broke the keyboard and camcorder, and the phone is still as sluggish (maybe even more) as it was with the last firmware. There's also random dead spots on my touchscreen that go away when I turn the screen off and on. GIFs and Youtube also don't work, plus the phone forgets how to play media every once in a while and requires a reset.
I'm sad to hear that HTC users are having issues too because my next phone is definitely not a Sammy.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

onecooldan posted:

They broke the keyboard and camcorder, and the phone is still as sluggish (maybe even more) as it was with the last firmware.
Camcorder should be fixed as of the EC05 update. The keyboard responsiveness and device "lag" are addressed in custom ROMs, although that's an entire other debacle.

Good news is that the "lag" is (should be?) gone for good in SGSII. Not sure about any new keyboard though. The responsiveness of it is much better on the Sidekick, at the cost of 30% CPU utilization while holding keys down. :downs:

onecooldana
Jan 29, 2006

BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SEND 'EM A MESSAGE
BLAH BLAH BLAH

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Camcorder should be fixed as of the EC05 update. The keyboard responsiveness and device "lag" are addressed in custom ROMs, although that's an entire other debacle.

Good news is that the "lag" is (should be?) gone for good in SGSII. Not sure about any new keyboard though. The responsiveness of it is much better on the Sidekick, at the cost of 30% CPU utilization while holding keys down. :downs:
How should I go about getting the EC05 update? I searched for firmware and Android updates last week with no luck. I recently did a camera firmware update, but all it did was download a Samsung app store that I can't delete.
In happier news, Sprint spoke about removing bloatware from their phones. I'll be glad to not have Nascar, Football, Sprint TV, Navigation, Sprint ID, Sprint Hotspot, and Sprint Zone shoved onto my device.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What would be the easiest way to get 6 lines on sprint? I have some friends who want to join my plan, which is fine, but that would bring us to 5 lines, and in a few months I would like to get my daughter a phone.

How would I go about doing this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

What would be the easiest way to get 6 lines on sprint? I have some friends who want to join my plan, which is fine, but that would bring us to 5 lines, and in a few months I would like to get my daughter a phone.

How would I go about doing this?

You can have 6 lines, but family plan is limited to 5 lines. Honestly, I would get those 5 lines set, then just get your daughter the Optimus on Virgin Mobile for $150, $35 a month, 300 mins unlimited text and data (technically a 2GB cap).

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I just ordered the Photon :toot:
Let's see if I made a horrible mistake or not.

Is sprint still doing the loyalty credit thing? I sent an email asking about it, but I figure you all might know too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

onecooldan posted:

How should I go about getting the EC05 update?
Are you running EB13 now? You're not rooted or anything like that, right?

If so, you should've gotten EC05 as an OTA update. If not, you can download the update.zip manually. Rename it "update.zip" and place it in the root of your SD card. Then power off your phone, and power on by holding volume-down+camera+power, which will boot the recovery. Then you can select "apply sdcard:update.zip" (press volume-down to highlight it?) and press home to apply it.

onecooldan posted:

In happier news, Sprint spoke about removing bloatware from their phones.
For the Gingerbread update? Yeah, they pretty much have to, they ran out of space.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I like turtles posted:

I just ordered the Photon :toot:
Let's see if I made a horrible mistake or not.

Is sprint still doing the loyalty credit thing? I sent an email asking about it, but I figure you all might know too.

If you are close to or out of contract they do the loyalty credit, call retentions from the OP.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I've got a question for the Sprint employees in this thread. My brother has an old HTC Touch Pro 2 that he's looking to unlock for domestic GSM use as part of an elaborate "port parents' landline number to Google Voice" scheme. He is currently on their family plan, which (if it matters any) I know for a fact is Premier Silver. Said plan has been active for over two years, and the Touch Pro 2's last activity was on that plan before being replaced with an Evo Shift.

Give all this, is it possible to have Sprint unlock the Touch Pro 2's GSM radio for domestic use, or would it be necessary to pay someone like this guy? (As near as I tell, some sort of unlock separate from the RUU unlock has to take place before a domestic-GSM radio can be flashed onto the phone. However, given that I have no experience with unlocking GSM phones, and my only source of information on the subject as it applies to the TP2 has been xda-developers, I could very easily be wrong.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Technogeek posted:

I've got a question for the Sprint employees in this thread. My brother has an old HTC Touch Pro 2 that he's looking to unlock for domestic GSM use as part of an elaborate "port parents' landline number to Google Voice" scheme. He is currently on their family plan, which (if it matters any) I know for a fact is Premier Silver. Said plan has been active for over two years, and the Touch Pro 2's last activity was on that plan before being replaced with an Evo Shift.

Give all this, is it possible to have Sprint unlock the Touch Pro 2's GSM radio for domestic use, or would it be necessary to pay someone like this guy? (As near as I tell, some sort of unlock separate from the RUU unlock has to take place before a domestic-GSM radio can be flashed onto the phone. However, given that I have no experience with unlocking GSM phones, and my only source of information on the subject as it applies to the TP2 has been xda-developers, I could very easily be wrong.)

Call and get transferred to Sprint international, they will give unlock codes for any phone active on sprint. Just say you are traveling international.

An easier way is just adding a line, port number to that number, then port out within 30 days and cancel the line.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

An easier way is just adding a line, port number to that number, then port out within 30 days and cancel the line.

Might be easiest to do it that way, then. From some of the stuff I found the TP2 is already unlocked for non-US GSM bands, but again, xda-developers.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Technogeek posted:

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here... If I recall from my days with the TP2, it is not SIM locked. The radio is locked so that it will not connect to domestic networks. If you put in an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM it won't reject it, but it won't connect to the network either. I tried with an active T-Mobile SIM and it wouldn't connect. However when I took a trip to Canada and used that SIM it connected to Rogers and roamed just fine. Voice, data, voicemail, SMS, etc. Same SIM, same T-Mobile account, but the network was not domestic. Basically Sprint doesn't care that much about using another carrier's SIM when you're traveling overseas so they didn't SIM lock it, but they don't want you using the phone on their competition in the US so it just won't connect to domestic GSM networks. The Olipro unlock you linked to should allow you to use any SIM and any GSM network, but I never bothered to try it. Either way, I don't think there's anything Sprint can or will do for you to let the phone connect to a domestic GSM network.

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 29, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://www.bgr.com/2011/07/29/motorola-photon-4g-review/

Motorola photon review. I love how Sprint finally starts getting phones with high storage capacities just when I start using RDio and no longer need it. oh well.

And fyi Sprint's port in website now has a big disclaimer that the port credits are from Sprint locations only. Its a no go if you switch at Radioshack or Target, etc.

sprint.com/switchtosprint

https://www.spcconsumer.com/

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 29, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Is there a place to go to see what employer discounts are available for Sprint? I've got two job prospects coming up, and both are with much larger companies from where I am now. We currently have a massive ~25% (I forget exactly) discount through my wife's old employer, and I doubt anything else will top or even match that, but I wouldn't mind checking.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

brc64 posted:

Is there a place to go to see what employer discounts are available for Sprint? I've got two job prospects coming up, and both are with much larger companies from where I am now. We currently have a massive ~25% (I forget exactly) discount through my wife's old employer, and I doubt anything else will top or even match that, but I wouldn't mind checking.

If you don't tell Sprint anything, they won't change your discount. 25% is the best you're going to find.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Just tell them that you currently have a 25% discount through your wife's job and you want to see if yours is any better.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
I have 27% and it's the highest I've seen. I think there was a list on Slickdeals and/or Fatwallet.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Rumor has it that the Evo3D is getting permanent root and/or S-OFF tonight.

http://revolutionary.io/

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Oh sweet baby jesus please be true.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The Olipro unlock you linked to should allow you to use any SIM and any GSM network, but I never bothered to try it. Either way, I don't think there's anything Sprint can or will do for you to let the phone connect to a domestic GSM network.

Alright, thanks, that helps. I'll probably just end up advising my brother to see if any of his friends have a crappy old GSM phone he can borrow for the process.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Don't know if this has been posted, but the Kyocera Echo is getting the Gingerbread update on August 1st.

How many people saw that coming? :raise:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/07/29/motorola-photon-4g-review/

Motorola photon review. I love how Sprint finally starts getting phones with high storage capacities just when I start using RDio and no longer need it. oh well.

And fyi Sprint's port in website now has a big disclaimer that the port credits are from Sprint locations only. Its a no go if you switch at Radioshack or Target, etc.

sprint.com/switchtosprint

https://www.spcconsumer.com/

Wow I am shocked at well he liked it over the EVO 3D. The Photon never was on my radar. Guess it should have been.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Wow I am shocked at well he liked it over the EVO 3D. The Photon never was on my radar. Guess it should have been.

I don't know if it's my old age or because technology and smartphones are things I personally know a lot about - but I find reviews of these things to be sort of arbitrary and mostly meaningless. Except for Anandtech, those guys do it right.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Leathal posted:

Rumor has it that the Evo3D is getting permanent root and/or S-OFF tonight.

http://revolutionary.io/

It most certainly can't be too far off. Here's a recovery from TeamWin which is flashable via fastboot. Let the fun begin!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192077

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
It's up now, actually. But I'm going to wait and see what kinds of problems people have before running it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Kreeblah posted:

It's up now, actually. But I'm going to wait and see what kinds of problems people have before running it myself.

Oh so it is, haha. I had to shift+F5 to get it to show the new page.

I'm still in my 30 day window so I'm going to give it a shot.

edit: worked like a charm, quite painless as it did everything for you.
edit2: it seemed to have failed in flashing ClockworkMod but I got recovery working just fine by flashing that TeamWin recovery manually.
edit3: also it's not particularly pointed out but to get the serial number for the beta key just run the exe and it'll ask. Make sure you have USB debugging on as well. :)

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 29, 2011